Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2017 12:03:15 AM EDT
Has anyone used these "Cheap" 2000w inverter Generators such as the Champion 2000w? I know the ideal would be to get a Honda or Yamaha, but for half the price, it seems like a pretty good deal, and it has pretty good reviews on amazon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the champions and they run great. They are quiet under light to moderate load, but start to get loud when things ramp up. still it as loud as a standard unit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Harbor Freight Predator 2200W/2000W unit that was on sale for $345.... other than a 30min initial test run, it has only been started every couple of months and not seen any hard usage...starts on second pull... I don't see the 2200 units listed any longer just the 2000/1600...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Champion inverter generator. Works great. No complaints. I'd recommend them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Harbor Freight Predator 2200W/2000W unit that was on sale for $345.... other than a 30min initial test run, it has only been started every couple of months and not seen any hard usage...starts on second pull... I don't see the 2200 units listed any longer just the 2000/1600...
View Quote
I've read these are a pretty good value, but don't perform well when pushing the load limits while the Hondas were much closer to sticker values. Something to note if you're planning to stretching the capacities. But all in all the Yamaha, Generac, etc inverters get good reviews. Disclaimer: I own none of them, but I've used the Hondas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Costco has a 3,300 W Champion inverter generator for about $600. This is what I was thinking of buying. It's big enough to run a window AC plus additional electronics, lights etc. In my opinion it's an ideal size and it has wheels. You can't beat Costco's warranty either. Check them out.
I also have a 1 kW EU-1000 Honda inverter type generator that I use for running my ham radio and electronics when we go camping. Unfortunately it's not big enough to run a window AC. For me an air conditioner is a must to survive brutal summers here in SC. Cold does not bother me but hot weather is a killer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one and like it.  Starts easy and is  fairly quiet.

The way you drain the oil out could be a little better though. You have to basically just tip the thing over and let it drain out.  

Unless I'm doing it wrong. Maybe someone here can suggest a better way.

But overall I would recommend one.

edit - the Champion 2000 watt model
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought the champion 2000w. I'll report back after I have a few opportunities to use it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
We have done multiple threads for years on these generators, including one that shows natural gas conversion. There's lots of info on them, if you look. They are great gennys. Picked mine up when Sam's had them for $298.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I may buy one but my Honda EU2000i is 9 years old and starts on the first pull. I may buy another one of those and link them up to run some bigger stuff. I'm conflicted...
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Having owned a pair of EU 3000 I would.not hesitate to buy a champion inverter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Check into the replacement cost of the inverter circuit board. Some brands  want almost the cost of the generator just for a replacement board.
The boards are potted with expoxy, so you really can't diagnose then to repair them. Its the one part of the Chinese generators likely to go bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top