User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know that it this was touched on before, but here is a link to an article: Would Your Car Survive An EMP Attack?

The study cited in the article essentially found that in 2002, 90% of cars in would be perfectly fine and the other 10% would stall or have some other kind of issue but would start back up.

It's also very clear in the study that none of the cars experienced any effects if they were turned off during the EMP...
View Quote
Yeah, I'm aware of this. I believe that even if grid goes down, it's most likely that smaller electronics, vehicles, and other electronics not connected to grid will be in working condition; biggest problems are likely to be disruptions to food distribution systems and water supply systems, and ways to keep electronics and vehicles going after initial grid-down - none of which will be terribly relevant in the first few days post-event. I'm pretty much preparing for absolute worst-case with this bag. I don't expect to ever actually use it, but preparing for worst-case is sorta what we tend to do after we've covered the more likely stuff...
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Interesting, I thought you were sort of counting on stores being open to an extent.

View Quote
No, not really counting on it, just planning / hoping for the possibility that this is the case. I do think it's likely that if something like this did happen, the stores would still be operating on a cash basis for at least a few hours until they got cleaned out. I base this upon the following:

1. If it happens and I have to use this bag, then it happened while I'm at work, and everyone else is likely working and many stores are likely still open, at least for a while.
2. If my vehicle isn't working, then most (if not all of) other people's vehicles will be similarly disabled, and making a run to the local store to clean it out might not be feasible for most people - or the first thing that occurs to them in this situation. Again, most people are inclined to sit back and wait for the power company to turn the lights back on when things like this happen, and most people are too stupid to make the connection between EMP and everything being disabled, much less understand the implications. I don't expect accurate information about this to spread as quickly as normal in this scenario, as communications will almost certainly be severely disrupted. I expect a lot of confusion and likely paralysis in the ensuing fog.
3. Based upon past grid-down experiences I've been in (Katrina, Rita, and Ike), most stores - at least the types that sell food - generally still operate on a cash-basis until they're cleaned out, until the employees go home, or until the security situation deteriorates to point everyone has to leave. I don't see this hypothetical scenario as much different in the initial hours, since most people will be unaware of the true nature of the problem at first.
4. My plan would be to hit the nearest convenience store very quickly (it's on my route less than a mile away from my work), and if they are still operating then I'll buy whatever I can for the trip. If not, I just keep moving and enjoy my emergency rations and the ensuing managed weight loss. I'm packing the rations for an "enough to get by" baseline, but I'll add to it if possible. I'm gonna burn a lot of calories.
5. There are a couple of stores along the way that might still have bicycles (if they're still open) as I make my way home. If possible, I'll get a bike and make a beeline home with it, if not then I just keep walking. I'm still trying to figure out a way to incorporate a bike into this, as that would drastically change my planning for the better. I still have nowhere to put it, and while I could rent a storage nearby work or something, I'm not prepared to commit to the open-ended costs of that for something that is so unlikely to actually occur.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I read more of the thread and see that you say you can neither transport a bike to work everyday, nor store one there.  Would that include a folding bicycle?  You could even remove the handlebars and wheels for storage and put it back together in about ten minutes.

On a comfortable bike you're looking at a six hour trip, less exertion, less uncertainty, less risk.

Still ditch everything I said to ditch earlier, and add in several extra intertubes and air cylinders.

https://www.amazon.com/adult-folding-bikes/b?ie=UTF8&node=3405101&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I read more of the thread and see that you say you can neither transport a bike to work everyday, nor store one there.  Would that include a folding bicycle?  You could even remove the handlebars and wheels for storage and put it back together in about ten minutes.
View Quote
Already considered. A folding bike would be very easy to see in my vehicle (small SUV-type with no real trunk - a folding bike would be easily visible, because there's no way to fold the wheels), and where I have to park would make it a target for theft. The bag is easy to hide, a bike is not; keeping a bike in the vehicle is out. Best I've been able to come up with is putting one in nearby storage, but I don't really want to pay the ongoing, open-ended costs for that given the remote likelihood of this ever occurring.

If I could work a bike into this, then this thread wouldn't exist, because my GH gear would be tailored for a 1-day bike trip home, or possible a quick overnighter, instead of a likely 4-7 day walk.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Already considered. A folding bike would be very easy to see in my vehicle (small SUV-type with no real trunk - a folding bike would be easily visible, because there's no way to fold the wheels), and where I have to park would make it a target for theft. The bag is easy to hide, a bike is not; keeping a bike in the vehicle is out. Best I've been able to come up with is putting one in nearby storage, but I don't really want to pay the ongoing, open-ended costs for that given the remote likelihood of this ever occurring.

If I could work a bike into this, then this thread wouldn't exist, because my GH gear would be tailored for a 1-day bike trip home, or possible a quick overnighter, instead of a likely 4-7 day walk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is only $130 and with 20'' wheels it would fit in a bag and be hidden. Get this or get rid of all the camping gear and move fast and don't stop. I would also consider some cheap NV gear and travel at night.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is only $130 and with 20'' wheels it would fit in a bag and be hidden. Get this or get rid of all the camping gear and move fast and don't stop.
View Quote
Already discussed...
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Already discussed...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is only $130 and with 20'' wheels it would fit in a bag and be hidden. Get this or get rid of all the camping gear and move fast and don't stop.
Already discussed...
Got it. Input not really wanted.

If I worked 60 miles from my family I would consider a vehicle big enough to carry my get home gear.
But I am sure that was discussed also.
Sorry works to busy I can't read all of the thread.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I worked 60 miles from my family I would consider a vehicle big enough to carry my get home gear.
View Quote
Yeah, I have a Montague Paratrooper.  I love the folding concept, but the concern is that if you're vehicle isn't in the most secure location, theft is a higher probability.  I only used mine when I could fold it up and stick in the closet in my office.  It folds up and can sit in the back passenger area of my truck, but it needs to be covered up and is still visible as a large covered object...just drawing attention.  If I had a cap or tonneau cover, that would help, but not something I would invest in for my needs.  Honestly, outside of my truck, a mountain bike is the best alternative to travel the 20+miles home.  Various routes including a dirt road and you can travel that distance in as few as 2-4 hours (averaging even a slow 6-8 mph).  Of course much depends on how discreet or route access.  It's a good option if it's available and feasible.  I still plan the worse-case, on-foot travel; everything else is gravy.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, input's wanted, but not on stuff that's already been discussed, particularly on walking home nonstop and folding bikes in the vehicle. I have already discussed specific reasons why neither one of those are going to work for my situation, and I don't really need to repeat myself, I think. Not trying to be a dick, just not going to rehash something that I've already gone over in detail...

I drive the vehicle I'm driving because of fuel economy. I'm driving around 120 miles a day just for work. Gas is expensive and was a primary concern when I got this vehicle. I've got another vehicle I could easily hide a bike in (minivan - I'm a family man), but I'm not taking that one primarily because it sucks on gas mileage. Getting another vehicle just to store a bike in isn't feasible here. As for why I'm not putting a bike in the one I drive now, it's due to theft concerns. I work at the airport and park in employee parking lot, and have I no other realistic options. Theft is a big concern. Anything I can't hide is likely to draw attention I don't want. I can hide the bag, I can't hide a bike, even a folding one. It's just not big enough.

And before someone chimes in with "Well, get another job closer to home"... No. Just no.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
It seems like you already got enough critique in this thread.
I think what you planned makes sense. In real life, things don't always go as planned. You may not be able to return home for several weeks or more. I always plan for this kind of emergency. What's in your bag now may come in very handy if you have no choice but to stay at work or elsewhere for an extended time. You can always adjust your bag's contents and ditch or cache things you don't need for your trip home.

Another thing many fail to understand it that a cool military looking bag and cammo clothing do draw a lot of attention. God forbid you happen to be in an area controlled by a military force. Wearing anything even remotely looking like military or "tacti-cool" may have you stopped, searched and detained for further questioning or you may be beaten and let go without your bag. A sniper may think you are an enemy combatant and send a small gift your way. They are not paid to think.  I have seen this happen. Walking at night with a NV set may draw even more attention and they will shoot first and ask questions later. Back roads may be observed and controlled even better than the major routes.

If you live alone, have a plan with your neighbors or a friend who always stays in town, to keep an eye on your place. Also ask them to empty your fridge and freezer if electricity is lost for more than a day. Rotten food in a fridge may render your whole house unlivable.  

Just another 2 cents worth of BS.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top