Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 9:19:17 PM EDT
In a couple of weeks or so I should have my ball mill running. Once I finish building it I will mill some charcoal I made.This is
a big learning curve for me. After a couple of runs making shootable bp I want to try my hand in fireworks. My jar is a gallon one. I have a place down in the bottom about 800 feet from the house and I have one blast wall of rr ties and plan to sand bag ged around it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In a couple of weeks or so I should have my ball mill running. Once I finish building it I will mill some charcoal I made.This is
a big learning curve for me. After a couple of runs making shootable bp I want to try my hand in fireworks. My jar is a gallon one. I have a place down in the bottom about 800 feet from the house and I have one blast wall of rr ties and plan to sand bag ged around it.
View Quote

Username is fitting  
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:55:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Way, way back in the day when kids used to have chemistry sets .......
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't go too big or Homeland Security will come a calling .
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Tried to as a kid.  Never got better than fast burning powder after mixing dry ingredients.  A few years ago I picked up an older military field manual on improvised munitions at the army surplus store.  First recipe.  Was mixed wet and the resulting cake rubbed and screened if I remember.  Haven't tried

When in doubt,  read the official US Government Publications.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
member @JoeCoastie makes his own black powder. IIRC he makes it from charcoal he makes himself as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I've made my own. I goofed when I made it though. I couldn't use it for anything other than my lil plumb bob cannon. It was fun though. Would do it again for sure.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure you're using non-sparking media.

Make sure to measure by weight and not volume.

Make sure that your components are sufficiently pure.

With a jar that small, don't plan on making a big batch. My old mill had a 5 gallon jar.

Plan on milling for a LONG time. Once I got my components mixed, I used to let the mill run for 24 hours.

Skylighter is a great place for materials.

Harbor Freight makes a decent 20 ton press to make the pucks.

To paraphrase O_T, making fire is fun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I keep telling myself to stop by the fertilizer company here in town to buy some sulfer and potassium nitrate. I'd like to give it a try in 45 colt with home cast bullets. would be fun to try and see if I could sustain at least one weapon in a super long shtf scenario. maybe even go as far as re-charged primers from match sticks......
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Made enough one time to load one 38 spl using homebrew charcoal and stump remover just to see if it works.

Wet knead it with some spritzed water and corn it through a screen.

The round fired just fine. Felt quite powerful, but I didn't chono it. Frankly it's not all that hard with some ingenuity and decent ingredients.

Cooking the charcoal in the absence of o2 seems to be the "trick".  Kingsford won't work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I did it the lazy way years ago . I ordered a 25 lb case of Goex .
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I made some in the late 70's.  I even used the white part of strike-anywhere matches for the percussion caps.  It fired marbles out of a .50 cannon with amazing force.  It was dirty as hell though and fouled the cannon after 2-3 shots.  I have been thinking of trying it again using Big Green Egg charcoal.

I also made hand grenades (supposed to be rocket engines) using CO2 cartridges and the white part of the matches, potassium chloride and powdered sugar.  I lived, but don't try this at home.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I ran my mill to practice on charcoal. 2 hour run doing 1.5 quarts of crushed redwood charcoal. It ended up as fine as talcum powder. I use 60 cal lead balls in a gallon plus jar. Next week into the woods to do a blackpowder mill. All my Trinity is a fine powder so I will first try a 2 hr mill together and take it from there. I need to name her. Maybe Baboom would be a good name.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top