Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 4:49:59 PM EDT
*Disclaimer*  I am not affiliated in any way with this company aside from being a satisfied customer.

GoRuck Constellation  This is a new urban survival training team event led by current and former special operations soldiers.  

This event is new for the company, but looks really good especially for the cost.  My experience with GoRuck is from their challenges that push you to your physical limits (which is great from a survival standpoint, BTW), and if this event is a fraction of what they are it will be awesome.

Check it out!

Edit:  AAR near the end of page 1.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks pretty cool. Might see about getting a couple guys together for D.C. in May.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks pretty cool. Might see about getting a couple guys together for D.C. in May.
View Quote

My son does GoRuck challenges.  It looks pretty cool to me.  I know they offer different types of training but based on what I have seen it is best for the young, flat-belly types who are in really good shape.  The challenges my son has participated in have been overnight rucks -- basically from 8 pm or so to 7am.  They also offer extreme challenges (48hours) among other things.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My son does GoRuck challenges.  It looks pretty cool to me.  I know they offer different types of training but based on what I have seen it is best for the young, flat-belly types who are in really good shape.  The challenges my son has participated in have been overnight rucks -- basically from 8 pm or so to 7am.  They also offer extreme challenges (48hours) among other things.
View Quote

I don't know, I'm knocking on 37 and have never had a flat belly and I make it through. The mind is a pretty tough muscle.

This event is supposed to be a lot less physical than the traditional challenges and a lot more mental. It really does look fun and educational.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Described as a "gentleman's" walk.
Looks cool..nearest here is at a place I've been numerous times...
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure about my situation in October, but I've marked the Atlanta event on my calendar.  Looks like it would be an educational experience...I hate cities, but work sometimes puts you in uncomfortable situations and locations.  My son would enjoy it as well.  I could imagine doing this training in downtown Chicago on a weekend would be more hazardous than Kabul or Mosul

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not sure about my situation in October, but I've marked the Atlanta event on my calendar.  Looks like it would be an educational experience...I hate cities, but work sometimes puts you in uncomfortable situations and locations.  My son would enjoy it as well.  I could imagine doing this training in downtown Chicago on a weekend would be more hazardous than Kabul or Mosul

ROCK6
View Quote

Drive to the Sept Fla one in ST.Augustine....
Ill hold your hand  

Honestly I'm trying to figure out where they'd do it outside of the main drag....and keep it urban outside of trekking through the hood or down major road areas. Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks interesting. If there has been on major lapse in my preps recently, it has been the lack of time to do some proper training. 
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Getting more interested about this.

Went out to YouTube and they have a marketing video for this challenge.

Don't really say anything but you get a glimpse of what is going on in the challenge
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ill hold your hand

Honestly I'm trying to figure out where they'd do it outside of the main drag....and keep it urban outside of trekking through the hood or down major road areas. Oh well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ill hold your hand

That's not too much further south (well, twice the distance), but I would think St. Augustine would be pretty small.  You may be able to drive around the weekend and see how much being the non-gray-man really stands out

Quoted:
Getting more interested about this.

Don't really say anything but you get a glimpse of what is going on in the challenge

Yeah, the skills would be interesting.  Shelter, water, urban navigation, etc.  Almost sounds like geo-cache in an urban environment instead of actual training.  I wish the curriculum or objectives were a little clearer.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, the skills would be interesting.  Shelter, water, urban navigation, etc.  Almost sounds like geo-cache in an urban environment instead of actual training.  I wish the curriculum or objectives were a little clearer.

ROCK6
View Quote

Agreed. Still interested but I'd like to know a little bit more before I commit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#11]
This looks kind of interesting.

Might be up for Atlanta in October.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Think I'll do the Dallas
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I've completed two of their events, and I am strongly looking at the Atlanta Constellation this year. Looks epic.

A sign up tip - get on their mailing list, and wait to register for the event until they're running a sale. If you pay full price, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I've done their firearms days and have been impressed. I'd do this if I lived closer to one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I could give classes in the scavenger course. Nothing discarded is safe around me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I could give classes in the scavenger course. Nothing discarded is safe around me.
View Quote

I haven't done a Scavenger, but I'm pretty sure drinking beer is the main component.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I attended the first Constellation event in Jax when it was just being called "Beta."

They've got a great concept and the drive to make this event be a real learning experience.  

Teams may or may not have been kidnapped and zip tied by Cadre and tossed in the back of a U-haul during this event.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I will be signing up for D.C. in May. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Considering Philly in Sept
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Considering the one in Phx
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife and I did the first event back in January when it was still being called "Beta."  

GORUCK is putting a ton of resources into making this a successful event.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ill hold your hand  

View Quote
It absolutely will have you trekking through the hood and down major road areas.

You've got your team there.  You'll be fine.  You also have a SPOT satellite tracker with a couple of SF dudes designated to roll up in case you get in trouble.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It absolutely will have you trekking through the hood and down major road areas.

You've got your team there.  You'll be fine.  You also have a SPOT satellite tracker with a couple of SF dudes designated to roll up in case you get in trouble.  Seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill hold your hand  

I'm not to concerned with the hood areas myself. As BTDT for a living .
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I hear "Jurassic Park" on west King is still there. That would be a great drop off point LOL. Go North from there and you'll have a few blocks of da hood then cookie cutter subdivisions where "the pits" used to be. Go west from there and more hood till you get past the college that was burned down years ago. Go east and you got a Mogadishu Mile or so to get out of the worst areas to US1. South from Jurassic Park brings you towards 207 and that area is more rednecks.

I haven't been that way in years, but used to go through that area a lot. I've heard it's not changed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear "Jurassic Park" on west King is still there. That would be a great drop off point LOL. Go North from there and you'll have a few blocks of da hood then cookie cutter subdivisions where "the pits" used to be. Go west from there and more hood till you get past the college that was burned down years ago. Go east and you got a Mogadishu Mile or so to get out of the worst areas to US1. South from Jurassic Park brings you towards 207 and that area is more rednecks.

I haven't been that way in years, but used to go through that area a lot. I've heard it's not changed.
Maybe they'll walk them through pines and woods for an adventure.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious how they will handle the NYPD when they roll in 100 deep because several groups of people are roaming the streets after mid night. Many will no doubt be wearing their tacticool best.

No joke, NYPD takes "out of the ordinary" events very seriously. It would be a great question to ask. It would suck spending the next 24 in a holding cell while it all gets set straight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just curious how they will handle the NYPD when they roll in 100 deep because several groups of people are roaming the streets after mid night. Many will no doubt be wearing their tacticool best.

No joke, NYPD takes "out of the ordinary" events very seriously. It would be a great question to ask. It would suck spending the next 24 in a holding cell while it all gets set straight.
View Quote
I wouldn't worry about it a bit.  The cadre put a lot of effort into planning events and I'm sure L.E. notification is at the top of the list.  Of the 7 events I've been in, only in one did an officer stop.  The cadre had a chat with the officer and we were right back at it.

There have been dozens of GoRuck events in NYC, so they should be no strangers to them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:05:25 AM EDT
[#29]
This looks very interesting. If I am able to I may try the Cincy event. Thank you for posting this!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I got to do the Kansas City event last night. Without giving it all away, I would say this is a great starting to intermediate point for getting a mindset and skills to survive in an urban environment. Some of the things taught may seem simple to some like firestarting, yet we had folks take nearly an hour to get one going. This showed me the variety of experience levels in the class.

The class was broken down into classroom instruction blocks and then each block was put to use in a practical exercise with your team in an urban environment. It really was pretty fun doing the practical applications.

All in all I would recommend attending a Goruck Constellation if you get the chance, and I would especially recommend inviting someone who may not have much experience in survival mindset and techniques.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the update OP. I'm still on the fence for attending the one in Phoenix as it is till pretty warm at nights.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Can we get a real AAR? What do you learn? How hard is it? Was it worth it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can we get a real AAR? What do you learn? How hard is it? Was it worth it?
View Quote
But he doesn't want to give it all away...duh

The review was akin to
I bought a G17
I cost me 400$
I shot it.
It worked.
Everyone buy it,it is great!
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#34]
If they did one in Seattle, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a twinkie.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If they did one in Seattle, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a twinkie.
View Quote
Can a fat kid with a twinkie complete this Go Ruck?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Without going into much detail some of the items covered were basic trauma (TQ use), firestarting, foraging, orienteering, escape and evasion.  The physical demand was quite low, aside from walking a few miles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top