Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2017 6:47:31 PM EDT
And how do you like it? What would you change, what would you advise to someone looking to get into one?

I have a lifted Suburban that I am building up to be a "light expedition" vehicle. No crossing streams, no rock crawling, just fire trails and river-side camping  tow vehicle.

I want to keep the trailer under 4000 lbs and ideally chevy 6 lug hubs.

Basic concept but not necessarily exactly this, just a rough idea of the concept.

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And how do you like it? What would you change, what would you advise to someone looking to get into one?

I have a lifted Suburban that I am building up to be a "light expedition" vehicle. No crossing streams, no rock crawling, just fire trails and river-side camping  tow vehicle.

Basic concept but not necessarily exactly this, just a rough idea of the concept.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e3/05/22/e3052250463f3bc0977722d775658965.jpg
View Quote

Don't think that is a true off-road trailer...

Probably fine for fields, flattish areas, and areas with gentle swales, etc.

If the terrain is rough, it looks like it would be coming apart pretty fast.

For what you describe, we have a utility trailer converted to a camper and now with a heavy axle that might do what you describe, on roughly graded roads --actually it has.

Search Stealth Trailer... We've taken it on back country roads, etc., and it seems to have held up well. It could be lifted, but that wouldn't solve the axle clearance issue.

I would suggest that 4000# is way too heavy to be pulling on 'unimproved' roads, logging trails, etc.

They're not showing the axle in that picture ---that limits clearance to ~ less than one half the tire diameter.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For what you describe, we have a utility trailer converted to a camper and now with a heavy axle that might do what you describe, on roughly graded roads --actually it has.

Search Stealth Trailer... We've taken it on back country roads, etc., and it seems to have held up well. It could be lifted, but that wouldn't solve the axle clearance issue.

I would suggest that 4000# is way too heavy to be pulling on 'unimproved' roads, logging trails, etc.

They're not showing the axle in that picture ---that limits clearance to ~ less than one half the tire diameter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e3/05/22/e3052250463f3bc0977722d775658965.jpg

Check out the specs on the website. This trailer is built pretty tough and has been around in Australia for 25 years.

But also check out the price.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you seen the xventure trailers? It's an off-road utility trailer that you option with hot water, propane, and an electrical system. It's not an enclosed trailer, but most people put a rooftop tent on them and use the onboard instant hot water heater and a privy tent for showers. As far as wheels, the trailer can run whatever wheels and tires you have on your tow rig, so you don't have to carry 2 different types of spares. I wish I could give you personal insight, but our xv-2 is on order and we will not get it for a few weeks yet. Here are a couple of stock photos.

They are not cheap trailers...
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably not what you're looking for, but I have an Arctic Fox trailer. I've seen a lot of off-road/expedition travel logs from people with them.  Mine is wonderful, but amazingly heavy for its size.

Best example I could find with a 30 second Google search: Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you seen the xventure trailers? It's an off-road utility trailer that you option with hot water, propane, and an electrical system. It's not an enclosed trailer, but most people put a rooftop tent on them and use the onboard instant hot water heater and a privy tent for showers. As far as wheels, the trailer can run whatever wheels and tires you have on your tow rig, so you don't have to carry 2 different types of spares. I wish I could give you personal insight, but our xv-2 is on order and we will not get it for a few weeks yet. Here are a couple of stock photos.
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/vogold/IMG_2375.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/vogold/IMG_2376.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/vogold/IMG_2378.jpg

View Quote

That looks nice but a bit to primitive (back roads, expedition) and too small. Also at 52 years old, i'm not inclined to climb up and down ladders just to take a pee at 2 in the morning.

I'm looking for more fire trail, national forest, off pavement camping but not necessarily primitive unimproved trail.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread is relavent to my interests as well. I would like one that was not to expensive, decent ground clearance and have basic amenities of the shower, toilet, heat and air conditioning. And not to be small.   I to would be sticking to forestry roads and skip the rock crawling.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought you meant a trailer, not a camper.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Go over to Expedition Portal and check out the builds and purchased trailers

Link
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/BringHome3a-136185.JPG
View Quote

Beat me to it

I have the larger version (also AL bodied and radial tires) for my M923 as well.  

Behind my 08 RAM 2500, you forget either is behind you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got an m100 !
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is mid build........... trailer only. M1102 military, converted to civilian. Just got through with changing it to 6 lugs (easy).
If you want to buy a complete one, get the Schutt one. Basically a M1102 but camping built specific from the start.   Schutt Trailers

I redid the hitch, swapped to 6 lug and smaller tires (265/70R17), changed to 12v LED bulbs, and swapped the mil connector to a regular 7 pin.

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I want one of these but it is way over budget
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Ballpark pricing on those Schutt trailers??

Those are freakin gorgeous
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/BringHome3a-136185.JPG
View Quote

Actually what he wants is a trailer, a travel trailer to be exact. A camper goes in the bed of your pickup truck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ballpark pricing on those Schutt trailers??

Those are freakin gorgeous
View Quote

We just got a notification from the dealer that our xv-2 came in today. We are meeting with him on Saturday to go over the final build we want, we are doing just about every option except for the roof top tent and ARB refrigerator. I'm expecting it to be about $22k, but I'll know for sure on Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I knew a guy that bought a trailer made for African safari use, Bushwakka I think.  I only saw it one time when he towed it up to MT from Georgia for a week of flyfishing.  It was a pretty awesome trailer.  It was set up with a tent on top.  It was really awesome, and expensive.  

I seem to recall he broke an axle a year or so later on another trip. Getting parts from South Africa to fix it made things interesting ad expensive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We just got a notification from the dealer that our xv-2 came in today. We are meeting with him on Saturday to go over the final build we want, we are doing just about every option except for the roof top tent and ARB refrigerator. I'm expecting it to be about $22k, but I'll know for sure on Saturday.
View Quote

Holy eff!

Thanks for sharing.  Those a beautiful for sure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mine is mid build........... trailer only. M1102 military, converted to civilian. Just got through with changing it to 6 lugs (easy).
If you want to buy a complete one, get the Schutt one. Basically a M1102 but camping built specific from the start.   Schutt Trailers

I redid the hitch, swapped to 6 lug and smaller tires (265/70R17), changed to 12v LED bulbs, and swapped the mil connector to a regular 7 pin.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/cyclicm16/IMAG04191_zpsonpdft2d.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/cyclicm16/IMAG04101_zpsepqtdtrt.jpg
View Quote
You killed the surge brakes!  

I have some 16" eight-lug wheels going on mine to lower it a little.  I also built a converter box so I can pull it behind my M1009 or my Grand Cherokee.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have no idea what you are taking about  Those trailers are built for off-road, from Australia. 
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Check out the specs on the website. This trailer is built pretty tough and has been around in Australia for 25 years.

View Quote
Don't listen to him, he doesn't know a thing about those trailers. Don't know what your budget is, but there are some cheaper (relatively speaking) off-road orientated teardrop trailers that may work for you. 
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Absolutely I took off that heavy stuff!!!

I did consider going to a regular coupler surge brake system (yes, it would bolt on), but at the end of the day I want electric brakes and lighter weight. Those mil tires/rims are stupid heavy, the brakes are pretty heavy, once I got the weight down it actually tows really nicely even before I can add the electric back plates.

Not being in heavy off roading, the regular coupler makes far more sense that the pintle ring. It all boils down to intended use. As all my vehicles are running chevy 6 lug, I converted the trailer to match. I use it for more of a utility trailer with the ability to take camping by just adding gear. Ladder rack and kayak mounts are in the future. I'll keep the overall height about what the burb height is making towing easier.

As to the OP's wants of a basically complete trailer, the one that I would buy and not build is the Adrenalin Camper
Everything about it makes sense. I love how you unload your gear, then basically just flip it open.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Absolutely I took off that heavy stuff!!!

I did consider going to a regular coupler surge brake system (yes, it would bolt on), but at the end of the day I want electric brakes and lighter weight. Those mil tires/rims are stupid heavy, the brakes are pretty heavy, once I got the weight down it actually tows really nicely even before I can add the electric back plates.

Not being in heavy off roading, the regular coupler makes far more sense that the pintle ring. It all boils down to intended use. As all my vehicles are running chevy 6 lug, I converted the trailer to match. I use it for more of a utility trailer with the ability to take camping by just adding gear. Ladder rack and kayak mounts are in the future. I'll keep the overall height about what the burb height is making towing easier.

As to the OP's wants of a basically complete trailer, the one that I would buy and not build is the Adrenalin Camper
Everything about it makes sense. I love how you unload your gear, then basically just flip it open.
View Quote
I like the surge brakes, mostly because they're already there and free.  I'll get the weight down a little by swapping out the big run-flats and stowing the rear landing legs in the garage; I don't envision a time when I'll ever need them.

Around here trailer camping would be very limiting.  We have hundreds of miles of National Forest roads in all manner of disrepair.  They're the old logging road; some maintained, others not so much.  I wouldn't trailer camp out there because I don't want to back a trailer ten miles down a road that's barely wider than the trailer; because sometimes the road just ends.  I have a rooftop tent for my M1009 and we'll go explore some abandoned road and camp at its end.  total seclusion and privacy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like the surge brakes, mostly because they're already there and free.  I'll get the weight down a little by swapping out the big run-flats and stowing the rear landing legs in the garage; I don't envision a time when I'll ever need them.

Around here trailer camping would be very limiting.  We have hundreds of miles of National Forest roads in all manner of disrepair.  They're the old logging road; some maintained, others not so much.  I wouldn't trailer camp out there because I don't want to back a trailer ten miles down a road that's barely wider than the trailer; because sometimes the road just ends.  I have a rooftop tent for my M1009 and we'll go explore some abandoned road and camp at its end.  total seclusion and privacy.
View Quote

Exactly, area/job specific. Sounds like the M1009 fits your area nicely. About 50% of my use so far has been hauling generator and tools around the farm building and repairing stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't listen to him, he doesn't know a thing about those trailers. Don't know what your budget is, but there are some cheaper (relatively speaking) off-road orientated teardrop trailers that may work for you. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not the one asking for advice or to buy, the OP is.

I posted in contrary to the guy (second post) who didn't know what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm not the one asking for advice or to buy, the OP is.

I posted in contrary to the guy (second post) who didn't know what he was talking about.
View Quote
I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the person who said those trailers were not built to off road and to get a box trailer or whatever nonsense he was posting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Hi guys. I haven't disappeared. I've read the posts but I'm very busy.

Still interested in the input. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hi guys. I haven't disappeared. I've read the posts but I'm very busy.

Still interested in the input. Thanks.
View Quote

How much are you willing to spend on a trailer?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Around here trailer camping would be very limiting.  We have hundreds of miles of National Forest roads in all manner of disrepair.  They're the old logging road; some maintained, others not so much.  I wouldn't trailer camp out there because I don't want to back a trailer ten miles down a road that's barely wider than the trailer; because sometimes the road just ends. I have a rooftop tent for my M1009 and we'll go explore some abandoned road and camp at its end.  total seclusion and privacy.
View Quote

That's my problem with any kind of trailer, based on having the same experience all over the West. Sometimes you get lucky and the logging road ends in a turnaround, but usually not.

If you go with a cab-over camper you run into vertical clearance issues with low-hanging trees. You can't drag fiberglass and aluminum through that kind of stuff very many times before it gets trashed.

That's why I've been looking at doing some kind of homemade custom job on a milsurp trailer, just like some of y'all are talking about. Good departure angle, easy to back up if you have to, good clearance...

I've got nothing helpful to add, but I'll be watching this thread.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How much are you willing to spend on a trailer?
View Quote

Of course a lot goes into the value but somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000 to $15000.

But I'm not ready just yet, but I am doing the research.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Of course a lot goes into the value but somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000 to $15000.

But I'm not ready just yet, but I am doing the research.
View Quote

Since you said you were not looking into crawling up into a tent, I would look at So-Cal Teardrops. They seem to have a great reputation. 

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I built my own back in 2010-2011. it was based on Tear drop design. I fitted it with off road suspension. anyone with archive search might be able to find the build thread and then look for the De-construction thread.

If you want true articulating trailer, look into Treg Hitch , there are multiple designs and companies, but they offer way more movement when off roading. I had one when I built mine and it was awesome.

I had the frame custom built to my specs, trailer was built with readily available parts/lumber from Lowes/HD other then some specialty items like my water tank with 12v on/off faucet. Trailer was built using the same wheel/tire combo as my Blazer, makes carrying spares easier.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you want true articulating trailer, look into Treg Hitch , there are multiple designs and companies, but they offer way more movement when off roading. I had one when I built mine and it was awesome.
View Quote
Unfortunately I believe they quit importing to the US.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Unfortunately I believe they quit importing to the US.
View Quote

https://locknroll.com/

What I used, it was solid and well made and worked great, no binding, etc
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://locknroll.com/

What I used, it was solid and well made and worked great, no binding, etc
View Quote

That's not exactly a tree. That being said! I've seen a few break while backing up trailers. I'd look at  max coupler  or straight pintle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You have no idea what you are taking about  Those trailers are built for off-road, from Australia.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6rT3xKM9M
View Quote

LOL!

Those didn't look much like 'Off Roads'

More like MANICURED TRAILS...

I've pulled our Tacticool Stealth Trailer over far worse...

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Since you said you were not looking into crawling up into a tent, I would look at So-Cal Teardrops. They seem to have a great reputation. 

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6008/5958072693_4c8cecc8c8_b.jpg
View Quote

Look at the clearance of the differential and the trailer axle...

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL!

Those didn't look much like 'Off Roads'

More like MANICURED TRAILS...

I've pulled our Tacticool Stealth Trailer over far worse...

View Quote

You mean they trailer that you can't show because of opsec?????? 
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#38]
die-tryin's famous build. Now archived

Bill

ETA: A lot of pictures have since faded into internet heaven!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
die-tryin's famous build. Now archived

Bill

ETA: A lot of pictures have since faded into internet heaven!
View Quote

LoL..Thanks,,,boy that brought back some memories..That was a fun build for sure.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You mean they trailer that you can't show because of opsec?????? 
View Quote

That's the one, altho I have shown some pix of parts of it...

What would you like to see???
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

LoL..Thanks,,,boy that brought back some memories..That was a fun build for sure.
View Quote

It was interesting...  

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was only five years ago!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually closer to 6 years. lol. but A LOT has happened in that time. Like complete life style changes, loss of family members, etc etc. So it feels forever to me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's the one, altho I have shown some pix of parts of it...

What would you like to see???
View Quote
I'm sure the NSA, CIA, FBI are not interested in your trailer. and theives only want your credit card info.

I'm sure if you posted pictures you would not be at risk of  2am black hawk, hell fire attack on your compound.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/vogold/IMG_2375.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/vogold/IMG_2376.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr328/vogold/IMG_2378.jpg

View Quote

Believe this is the same one my father in law has. Built very well.  Was impressed out of my budget right now but some day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, Even $15K isn't going to get you much if you are talking about something you can really off-road with.  Especially if you want a toilet and shower.

You might consider something like this if your needs are really more light-duty then expeditionary.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP, Even $15K isn't going to get you much if you are talking about something you can really off-road with.  Especially if you want a toilet and shower.

You might consider something like this if your needs are really more light-duty then expeditionary.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Steve_in_29/off%20road%20popup%20trailer%20a6ff02297359202db2ec7c21398096be_zpsyt50rsc1.jpg
View Quote

Agreed and honestly, I am done beating my vehicles to shit for a weekend of fun. I BTDT when I was young and foolish, now I have my retirement and funds management to consider.

I think I may rent a couple of different designs first, and in the end, depending on "how much fun" I get out of the whole experience, I may not buy at all and just rent what I end up likeing and beat someone elses equipment up for the weekend and save the overall cash for new and exciting adventures later.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I built my own back in 2010-2011. it was based on Tear drop design. I fitted it with off road suspension. anyone with archive search might be able to find the build thread and then look for the De-construction thread.

I had the frame custom built to my specs, trailer was built with readily available parts/lumber from Lowes/HD other then some specialty items like my water tank with 12v on/off faucet. Trailer was built using the same wheel/tire combo as my Blazer, makes carrying spares easier.
View Quote

I remember that thread. it was beautifully done and sad to see it come apart.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I have an M101 A1 which is perfect for camping, hauling dirt/ Sand/ Gravel
I have put 1 ton of sand in it once and it held up, being its a 3/4 trailer... I wont do it again though...

I have used it for camping, it hauls great, and I have also used it to bring things home from the store... 3/4's of a trailer load of girl scout cookies as well...

Good all around trailer

here is a pic without the tarp

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top