Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2017 11:34:19 PM EDT
I didn't think GD would be the right place to post this so I'll see how the SF does.  

Our church just started a Trail Life group.  It is basically a group like The Boy Scouts, but that is run by a local church.  We have a good number of younger boys in the church, and more in the community that someone will bring.  The overall goal of this group is to teach leadership, responsibility, and self reliance to young men.  Some of the boys come from single parent homes and have no positive male role model.  We have 3 that will be coming from a local children's home.  Ultimately, we want to train the older boys to be leaders and examples for the younger ones, and help in the teaching also.  This will be done in a Christian setting, but will not be pushing religion.  We do hope to show our faith by kindness and example.  

I'm one of the leaders, and will be teaching basic outdoor skills.  Many of these kids have never done much outside, certainly not gone camping, etc.

Each boy will be required to display competency in an area before they can participate at the next level. (For example, until a boy can demonstrate to a leader that he can use a knife safely, he will not be able to use one on our activities)

My first several groups will cover the following.  

Fire Safety
Fire Starting
Making Campfires
Knife Safety
Intro to Knives
Intro to First Aid

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Update 1:  
So our first meeting went well.  We had 14 boys and lots of parents and grandparents.  I did a class on fire safety in general, evacuation in a fire and safety around a campfire.  Then we got out some stuff to start fires with and talked about fire starting basics.  We were going to start a fire outside and do hot chocolate over it for starters, but it was pouring rain.  One of the guys brought a little Jet Boil stove and we did it over that instead in the gym.  Most of the kids where 5-10 years old, and the oldest at 13.  All of them seemed to enjoy.  Varying levels of maturity, but we tried to let everyone participate.
Next lesson we will start a fire outside, all the boys were given homework to bring some tinder material from their house/yard to try.  I really wanted one of those water only rechargeable fire extinguishers to let the boys learn on a real fire, but maybe later.  3rd class will probably be on basic first aid.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Car 101 - our county makes everyone, girls included, change a tire for the learners permit. Teach the boys car 101, how to open the hood, check fluids, air and change tires, whats a cel, maybe an oil change.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a great idea, add a course called "How to be a Gentleman".
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Car 101 - our county makes everyone, girls included, change a tire for the learners permit. Teach the boys car 101, how to open the hood, check fluids, air and change tires, whats a cel, maybe an oil change.
View Quote

Good idea.  My BIL has several old Fords.  He can bring them by and we can go over stuff like that.  I think it is easier to learn initially on a car with less complicated engines.  You can see everything in those cars pretty easily.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's a great idea, add a course called "How to be a Gentleman".
View Quote

This should rank near the top of any teaching.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
We have a similar group for boys in our church, although the focus is lagging a little on outdoors than when my son was younger.  I still help at times and give classes.  One consideration is the principles of Leave No Trace.  Some of them can be a little stupid, but several are focused on being good stewards, respectful of others, responsibility and the basics of planning and preparation.  If you could find some pins or something to identify the successful completion of an area, that is a tangible source for motivation.

Don't forget local resources.  Park Rangers, Boy Scouts, local military, law-enforcement, EMTs, Firemen...they all have skills and experience to share related topics.  They would also help generate positive role models and all these community members typically do these for free.  It's a win-win.

Our kids typically culminated the year with an overnight camping trip, but there were a series of skills and other events they had to master or complete.  Overall, I commend you as we have a similar situation with many of the youth in our community.  Many just don't have a father figure or even a man in their lives to teach them how to be a man.  Regardless of race or creed, I've found that every boy I've encountered is intrigued and interested in outdoors and that interest is a doorway to changing lives and breaking the cycle that imprison many of them as they grow older.

Don't hesitate to ask for sponsors and guests.  Churches were designed to be community centers and bring people together...leverage your community to help with the project as it benefits them all in the long run.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this one of those "let's re-invent the wheel 'cuz the Boy Scout sold out to the queers" things?

If not, my recommendation is to seek a charter with the Boy Scouts and go with a proven system.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd get a Boy Scout handbook and use some of that material.

With knives, teach sharpening. Too many people think sharpening on stones is difficult, but it isn't hard at all.

Make sure you teach friction fire. Rudiger rolls seem like magic to kids.

I'd teach a basic manners class.  Table manners, proper place setting.

Primitive traps and triggers.

Weaving.

Fishing.

Camouflage.

Tracking.

Woodworking.

Leathercraft.

Sewing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is this one of those "let's re-invent the wheel 'cuz the Boy Scout sold out to the queers" things?

If not, my recommendation is to seek a charter with the Boy Scouts and go with a proven system.
View Quote

Trail life has been around a while, boy scouts have gotten away from their roots in a lot of ways and I think it is hurting their recruitment.

Also, my personal beliefs demand that I raise my children and that means I also have responsibility for who has influence over them such as a coach, team leader, babysitter or whatever else.  It is my duty to screen those people and I don't care what you do in your own time but if you're interacting with my children you must match up with our beliefs until their foundation is solid enough to interpret and make decisions on their own.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone already hit on the Gentleman training, I would call it manliness.  Great little $6 book with one pager wisdom is Manly Manners, written in the early 1900's, would probably be a great 5-10 minute discussion to have during events linky.

I would search out small projects from folks in the church that require some skill whether that's clearing a downed tree, putting in a retaining wall, roofing a house/barn, whatever it is just leverage it to teach skills boys aren't getting out of basic daily life.  One of the pitfalls I see with Boy Scouts, Royal Rangers and other groups I've been involved with is they just focus on their summer/winter/yearly camp out so at the end of a year all the boys know how to do is plan and train for a camping trip.  Not that there isn't value in that or that I would not want my children to be involved, it's just there is a lot more out there to teach especially from those boys you mentioned from single parent or other difficult situations where they may have no other chance to learn these skills before adult hood.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Chivalry for starts.

Head over to www.artofmanliness.com
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm 3 weeks out of a back surgery. I "borrowed" a12 year old home schooled young man to help change oil in my car. He loved it. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Trail life has been around a while, boy scouts have gotten away from their roots in a lot of ways and I think it is hurting their recruitment.

Also, my personal beliefs demand that I raise my children and that means I also have responsibility for who has influence over them such as a coach, team leader, babysitter or whatever else.  It is my duty to screen those people and I don't care what you do in your own time but if you're interacting with my children you must match up with our beliefs until their foundation is solid enough to interpret and make decisions on their own.
View Quote

PREACH brother. 

ETA: This is a huge problem in our local public schools. Teachers are pushing their political/philosophical beliefs on their students, even young elementary and middle school children, and it's causing problems if those children don't have strong parents at home. I was just reading a post on FB about a local middle school teacher bashing Trump to her students, and my kids have had words with public school kids saying Trump is racist, etc. Not trying to bring in politics, but I'm using it as an example of how important it is for US to be better parents. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Establish a Code of Conduct, something to aspire to and live by. Ex.1 Fruits of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Ex.2 Scout Law - A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Establish a Chain of Command among the young men/boys, so they learn and understand authority, how to operate under authority and how to be in authority. Ex. Patrols, Patrol Leaders, Assistant Senior Patrol Leader, and Senior Patrol Leader

Service Projects.
These are the meat and potatoes.

Skills: first aid, edged tools, fire making, knots, cooking, camp craft, land navigation and map reading, hiking, wood working, mechanics, etc.
This is the cake. There is a progression of skills. Each skill mastered is used for the next skill attempted. Also, establish a reward system for mastering the skills.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Establish a Code of Conduct, something to aspire to and live by. Ex.1 Fruits of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Ex.2 Scout Law - A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Establish a Chain of Command among the young men/boys, so they learn and understand authority, how to operate under authority and how to be in authority. Ex. Patrols, Patrol Leaders, Assistant Senior Patrol Leader, and Senior Patrol Leader

Skills: first aid, edged tools, fire making, knots, cooking, camp craft, land navigation and map reading, hiking, wood working, mechanics, etc.
This is the cake. There is a progression of skills. Each skill mastered is used for the next skill attempted. Also, establish a reward system for mastering the skills.
View Quote

Great post. 

I wanted to get my boy in the Scouts, but the current Scouts are not the Scouts of old. 

So, what I did was talk to my Pastor (who was a Scout leader at one time), and he told me which field guide to buy, so I could go through it with my son. 

That's my plan for this new year, with our new property where I have 11-12 acres of woods, etc. It's time for him to start using some of the tools he's received as gifts (a decent knife, compass, flint and steel, etc.). 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#15]
You know, I remember an international organization that did something just like this when I was a kid...can't remember the name of it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good idea.  My BIL has several old Fords.  He can bring them by and we can go over stuff like that.  I think it is easier to learn initially on a car with less complicated engines.  You can see everything in those cars pretty easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Old Fords?  Thirty-40 years old?  
Why teach them on something they will rarely see?  Most of the kids will be getting a 10 year old car for their first ride, start with that.  

Quoted:

Protect those who cannot protect themselves!  I am reminded of my niece who used to stick up for the special ed kids, and ultimately gained respect from multiple levels.
Quoted:

With knives, teach sharpening. Too many people think sharpening on stones is difficult, but it isn't hard at all.

I'd teach a basic manners class.  Table manners, proper place setting.

Primitive traps and triggers.  Weaving.   Fishing.  Camouflage.  Tracking.  Woodworking.   Leathercraft.  Sewing.

Why not start with their wisdom and experience?

Bill
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Campfire cooking is always a good one.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Spring is coming even it is slow getting here.  I had a farmer come to my group with peat pots soil and seeds, He showed them how to set a cold frame and grow stuff.  If you can't grow radishes your probably going to starve

I teach a reloading class in my machine shop.

A big hit in the machine shop was drilling and tapping a rod of clear acrylic in the lathe, most people have no idea how threads are made, internal or external
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, off topic.
Scouting leaders started out as Scouting parents. That is how I got involved. Every troop is different. Some have a strong outdoor program and some don't. If you have the skills, Scouting could use your help.
Sorry, off topic.

Skills:
Computer Repair, Computer Software, and Internet Safety
Hamradio
Gun Safety
Rifle Shooting
Shotgun
Hunting
Fishing
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You know, I remember an international organization that did something just like this when I was a kid...can't remember the name of it.
View Quote

The problem is that organization has gotten too big and lost sight of the small groups that made it great.  To many lawyers and standards involved now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Spring is coming even it is slow getting here.  I had a farmer come to my group with peat pots soil and seeds, He showed them how to set a cold frame and grow stuff.  If you can't grow radishes your probably going to starve

I teach a reloading class in my machine shop.

A big hit in the machine shop was drilling and tapping a rod of clear acrylic in the lathe, most people have no idea how threads are made, internal or external
View Quote

Shoot, I'd be down for that
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Great post. 

I wanted to get my boy in the Scouts, but the current Scouts are not the Scouts of old. 

So, what I did was talk to my Pastor (who was a Scout leader at one time), and he told me which field guide to buy, so I could go through it with my son. 

That's my plan for this new year, with our new property where I have 11-12 acres of woods, etc. It's time for him to start using some of the tools he's received as gifts (a decent knife, compass, flint and steel, etc.). 
View Quote

Thank you. I forgot Service Projects and added it after your post.

Well done. The time you spend with your boy is priceless.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Great post. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great post. 

If you acknowledge the value of his post, I'd ask you to revisit the section on leadership and working within teams.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't have a lot to add, but having gone through boy scouts when I was young, I'd suggest looking at
older scout material. The manuals from the 50s-70s might be dated with respect to things like first aid,
but I think are much better as far as being leadership/ man-making material. (I've found this to be true
of a lot of things, I ended up being self-taught in a lot of school subjects because I used ancient textbooks
instead of the new ones, and easily got good grades as a result.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not really what this is.  The focus of this will not be just outdoors or camp stuff.  There isn't much of a Scout presence in this area, and it seems that local people here are more readily going to bring their kids to a church based group, than the Boy Scouts.  I really think the negative press has hurt the Scouts, even though I still think it is generally a good group.  I would have loved to be a Scout when I was growing up, but that opportunity wasn't available.

Also, we are somewhat focused differently.  Trail Life is the umbrella organization, but each church group is autonomous in that they can take what Trail Life says or leave it.  The only thing that seems to be set in stone is the "safety rules" which are extensive and well done.  Background checks are done on any adults that want to be helpers.  Leaders can only be from that church.  We want to teach not only outdoor stuff, but also leadership, community, etc.  We will have service projects helping the older folks in the community, learning to work on stuff that men should know how to do, as well as do camping/fishing/hiking.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd teach a basic manners class.  Table manners, proper place setting.

Primitive traps and triggers.

Weaving.

Fishing.

Camouflage.

Tracking.

Woodworking.

Leathercraft.

Sewing.
View Quote

Good ideas, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.  Having a Trail Life group lets the church set the standards, and the parents/guardians bringing the kids understand this right off.  We do not have a group that is dictating what we need to do or believe, except within a loose framework from Trail Life.  The safety rules are one of the biggest things stressed, and these are provided for both the safety of the children and the protection of the organization.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you acknowledge the value of his post, I'd ask you to revisit the section on leadership and working within teams.
View Quote
Copy that sir. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't have a lot to add, but having gone through boy scouts when I was young, I'd suggest looking at
older scout material. The manuals from the 50s-70s might be dated with respect to things like first aid,
but I think are much better as far as being leadership/ man-making material.
(I've found this to be true
of a lot of things, I ended up being self-taught in a lot of school subjects because I used ancient textbooks
instead of the new ones, and easily got good grades as a result.)
View Quote

This echos what my pastor told me to get. I think we got a 60s vintage field manual on eBay. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Teamwork, accomplishing a task working together.                
And as the saying goes 2 people can do the work of 3 individual people.

compass orienteering,  Say you make up some teams.

You give them a starting point and each team will have a map and coordinates to find a buried treasure or hidden cache.

Food,water.It's time frame for life sustainment.

shelter, Backcountry First Aid, cooking skills. Native plants and animals(tracks) I.D

Fishing or foraging in a survival situation.

Fire starting, how to's, tools used, flint,magnesium, charred cloth, hand bow,

Some friendly competition has it's own benefits.
Winners can help teach the ones losing, Losers can see it as a baseline of their skills to improve upon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
If some are at least 16, have you considered volunteering them with your local Habitat for Humanity? It's a good way to serve the community and let them experience the building trades.

You could also teach:

Basic electrical/plumbing theory
Fix a toilet that runs
How to snake a drain
Safely replace a faulty switch/receptacle

...You get the idea. If you're interested, PM me and I can point you toward a good resource for teaching this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good point.  Having a Trail Life group lets the church set the standards, and the parents/guardians bringing the kids understand this right off.  We do not have a group that is dictating what we need to do or believe, except within a loose framework from Trail Life.  The safety rules are one of the biggest things stressed, and these are provided for both the safety of the children and the protection of the organization.
View Quote

I was not aware of Trail Life. Thank you for the information.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I believe all of the above responses are excellent and provide good value and learning experiences for these young people to learn and build their skills from.
I would just like to add that a tools 101 course would be a benefit because without some knowledge of proper application of tool skills, there would a void in the learning by actual doing of other skills that would be useful for these young people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#34]
First and most important skill many young men need to learn is - How To Be A Man and How To Respect People, especially those who are older, and women (in general). It seems like most kids are not taught these skills by parents.
Another good course will be - How to survive life without Internet and mobile phones. Most youngsters are addicted to them.

I think Mormon (LDS) churches do an excellent job in teaching kids to respect people around them. A lot can be learned from them. I'm not a Mormon and don't share some of their beliefs but I do like the way they teach family values and the skills they teach kids from an early age.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#35]
On the topic of manners and manliness, here is a suggestion on an old standby source that is short and to the point: George Washington's Rules of Civility.

Also, might want to teach the basic first aid course before the knives course...  just in case the former comes in handy during the latter.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#36]
We had Royal Rangers when I was a kid and it was fun! We did lots of camp outs and learning stuff. I miss it. I guess it still exists in some churches.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#37]
You don't so much 'teach' as as just allow them to learn during actual outings. Take kids out, give them safety guidelines and let them learn. It has to be a regular thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Have a night where you learn the basic safety rules of some tools, then build a simple project like a tool box with rope handle with each kid.

It's amazing how many children have never completed a project other than school homework that they can be proud of.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Teaching them to safely use an axe would be great for advanced students.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Teaching them to safely use an axe would be great for advanced students.
View Quote

Coming from Mr. Axe himself!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#41]
You could follow or get involved with the Calvinist Cadet program, has a merit badge system and based on outdoors, skills, with a Biblical base.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#42]
As a career firefighter/paramedic I would definitely suggest first aid.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#43]
First off - good on you.   It saddens me how so many young people can't do ANYTHING and are totally helpless.  A few suggestions are below.

How to handle common emergencies - lost in the wood, the adult in the group has a medical emergency, how to use someone else's phone to dial 911, knowing to know where you are and describing where you are to 911, what choking looks like and what to do, what drowning looks like and what to do, basic field medicine and first aid...

How to stay warm in the field.

Personal hygiene in the field (and home).

How to maintain wood tool handles and properly sharpen tools.

How to use and maintain old tools such as crosscut and other hand saws, bit brace, broad axe, draw knife, chisels, hand plane, adze, etc...Combine the old tools with a team effort to build something (mini log cabin/fort, watch tower, etc) and you would have quite a valuable and memorable experience.  

Basic electrical safety such has extension cord safety, dangers of water and electricity, etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I would also include:
Civics.
Citizenship (projects)
Ethics.
History (true factual history not made for consumption by PC fanatics)
Basic economics (how to make change, balance a check book, determine cost per unit, etc)

These and the other "skills," could be taught by experienced pro's and utilized much like the merit badges by the scouts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Lots of great suggestions in here. I would add:

The Dangerous Book for Boys

It's been alot of fun with my two boys. Filled with good stuff.

ETA:

Similar book for the young ladies in our lives too...

The Daring Book for Girls
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lots of great suggestions in here. I would add:

The Dangerous Book for Boys

It's been alot of fun with my two boys. Filled with good stuff.

ETA:

Similar book for the young ladies in our lives too...

The Daring Book for Girls
View Quote

Yes! Recommended!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Another good book to read is Bringing up Boys by Dr. James Dobson. 

I've read most of this book, and it's really good. Highly recommended, even if you're not a man/woman of faith. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I loved my time as a BSA leader. The scouts offers a lot. There's still a lot of good that can come from a charter.

However, they're changing. The bureaucracy is encroaching. The do nothing training requirements are becoming atrocious. If you have a good pencil pusher diplomat to run blockade for you (like I did, thank you Mr. Waits) it's still tolerable. You also have some legal protection from accidental injury but not as much as you may think. BSA is known for weaseling out of that responsibility.

On the other hand, IF I'd had the opportunity to carry on with my band of merry marauders that was my cub scout den, and take them on up as we were going (cub scouts is set up quite a bit different than boy scouts) we would have had a fine time, learned as much or more and been differently focused. However, they wouldn't have had the great opportunities like getting their Eagle, working with others, competing with other troops, scout summer camp, etc, etc.

The wife had her own group of girls who tried girl scouts and found it quite lacking. They had a great time for about 3 years, when other activities drew them away.

So, I've got no problem with alternative groups, so long as you're going, doing, learning. Be sure there is the opportunity for the boys to learn to lead. That was a big eye opener for me how important that aspect of the scouts is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Here is a sort of extra curricular program I developed for our troop for those boys who chose to partake. Might give you some ideas.

GREENHORN                

Show by your attendance record that you have been active in Troop meetings and outings for at least 4 months since becoming a First Class Scout. Repeat from memory the Outdoor Code and agree to follow it at all times.   While a First Class Scout complete the following activities:

Initials / Date

_____/_____1. Design, make and decorate a leather “Possibles Bag” including various fire starting materials such as flint & steel (or equivalent), charred cloth, tinder, cotton balls, etc., in waterproof containers.  Other items may also be included.

_____/_____2. Light one cooking fire without matches and prepare either of the following meals using only a knife: A) a complete Dinner or, B) a full Breakfast. All other utensils or cookware must be fashioned from natural materials.  Clean up area afterwards.

_____/_____3. A) Tie correctly any six of the Advanced Knots listed below; explain their proper uses:

? Bowline on a Bight       ? Double Fisherman’s Knot? Hunter’s Bend  
? Running Bowline        ? Figure Eight on a Bite ? Figure Eight
? Spanish Bowline       ? Double Sheet Bend ? Lark’s Head
? French Bowline        ? Slippery Half Hitch ? Sheepshank
? Mooring Hitch        ? Fisherman’s (Anchor) Bend? Alpine Butterfly

B) Tie any two of the following Splices correctly and explain their uses:
? Long Splice     ? Short Splice   ? Backsplice  ? Eye Splice

_____/_____4. Build a one-man Shelter (or with the help of other Scouts a larger Shelter) using natural and manmade materials that is sufficiently weatherproof. Spend at least one night in the Shelter. A ground cloth is permitted for flooring.
_____/_____5. Since joining Boy Scouts earn any two of the following Merit Badges:
? Pioneering     ? Hiking    ? Orienteering           ? Wilderness Survival
? First Aid      ? Camping     ? Leatherwork           ? Swimming

WOODSMAN

Show by your attendance record that you have been active in Troop meetings and outings for at least 4 months since becoming a Star Scout. Repeat from memory the Outdoor Code and agree to abide by it at all times.   While a Star Scout complete the following activities:

Initials / Date
_____/_____1. Design, make and decorate a pair of leather Leggings.

_____/_____2. Lead your Patrol or other Scouts (and two Adults) on a cross country Land Navigation Trek using map & compass to reach a predetermined rendezvous point at least two miles from the starting point.  Use Terrain Analysis to determine the safest and shortest route before leaving. Respect private property.

_____/_____3. Under Qualified Adult Supervision demonstrate proficiency with the following Wood Tools:  Properly sharpen a knife for “shaving” and fell or part a 6” diameter tree.
? Hand Axe   ? Full Size Axe     ? Tomahawk       ? Bow Saw       ? Cross Cut Saw

_____/_____4. Build and light a “Dakota Hole” Fire and explain its uses; restore area afterwards.

_____/_____5. Join poles together with Lashings and/or Dovetail Joints to create a useful Camp Improvement Project for your Patrol or Troop.
   ( WOODSMAN continued on Back Page )
_____/_____6. Make cordage at least 6 feet in length using all natural materials found locally.

_____/_____7. Do ONE of the following with the help of your Patrol or other Scouts:

______ A) Build a “Wilderness Kayak” or “Coracle” using a combination of natural and manmade materials. Under proper Adult Supervision successfully use it to cross a small body of water. Follow all BSA “Safety Afloat” and “Safe Swim Defense” precautions.

_______ B) Tie a Transport Tightening System (One Rope Bridge) across an area approved by your Scoutmaster or other Adult Leader. Use proper rope(s) and equipment.  Transport yourself and your gear across the line (use the Buddy System for the gear.)

LONGHUNTER

Show by your attendance record that you have been active in Troop meetings and outings for at least 4 months since becoming a Life Scout. Repeat from memory the Outdoor Code and agree to abide by it at all times.   While a Life Scout complete the following activities:

Initials / Date

_____/_____1. Using natural materials provided to you; design, make and decorate a suitable hat.

_____/_____2. Since joining Boy Scouts Hike / Backpack 100 Miles on approved Troop outings to earn the “Tecumseh 100 Miler Award.” List each trip below:
LOCATION                                 DATE                MILES        LOCATION                                         DATE                  MILES

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

__________________________________________________          __________________________________________________

__________________________________________________          __________________________________________________

_____/_____3. Under Qualified Adult Supervision demonstrate proficiency with a Muzzleloader Rifle. Explain the parts and properly demonstrate safe handling, loading and firing methods.

_____/_____4. Build and demonstrate two Hunting Traps using all natural materials; one must be a dead fall trigger type.

_____/_____5. With a Buddy successfully complete a Night Orienteering Course over one mile long with at least five Control Markers using map, compass and flashlights.

_____/_____6. Identify ten native Woody Plants (trees, shrubs and vines) in the wintertime (no leaves) and tell their usefulness in Camping and Scoutcraft.

_____/_____7. Gather and prepare (under Adult Supervision) a meal of Edible Wild Plants and/or Fish. Start a fire with the “Bow Drill” method; use limited cooking utensils like a knife and pot.

_____/_____8. Since joining Boy Scouts complete 50 Miles Afloat (Canoeing / Kayaking / Rafting) on approved Troop outings.  List each trip below:
LOCATION                               DATE                 MILES       LOCATION                                      DATE                     MILES

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________         __________________________________________________

__________________________________________________         __________________________________________________

_____/_____9. Since joining Boy Scouts complete 60 Nights of Camping on approved Troop outings.  Nights spent in cabins (or similar structures) may be counted.

_____/_____       10. Since earning First Class attend a High Adventure Trek; on this trip identify in the field
                       ten different species of Wildlife by sight, sound, tracks, trail, scat, nest or other signs.  

_____/_____   11. Build a one-man Shelter with bedding using only natural materials that is sufficiently weatherproof. Spend at least one night in the Shelter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Sorry for the blank space.

I was gonna edit it down but I think I will leave it in case someone wanted to just copy paste it.

Not sure why all the question marks showed up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top