Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2017 10:05:07 AM EDT
Long-ass link to Arc'teryx Khyber 80L at LA Police Gear

I had no intentions of dropping two bills on a bag, but I guess this deserves consideration.

What I primarily use is a 33L Janesport or "3-day assault pack", manufacture forgotten.  I am mostly day hiking and car camping and just getting into backpacking.

First thought is: do I need a bag that big?  Big bags just mean more shit to carry, right?  I guess it facilitates stuffing your sleeping / shelter gear inside instead of strapping outside.

Second thought: is it worth $220?  I get it, Arc'teryx is Tier 1 bad-boy gear that will instantly add +3 to my charisma.  I wouldn't even consider it at MSRP, and at the same time don't want to fall into the trap of "holy shit this is a STEAL!".  Asking price on eBay seems to hover around $300, don't know about actual selling prices.

Edited to remove italics from title -- I guess bold is the only mark-up that renders there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Some considerations.  First, that's a good price for an Arc'teryx Khyber pack; even if it doesn't work out, you will likely recoup most of your investment if you sell it down the road.  The construction of these packs really withstand abuse and don't get a lot of wear for recreational use.

Second, what is your purpose?  For my distance backpacking I use a ULA Circuit (about 40 liters for the main compartment) and I can keep loads around 25 pounds (food, fuel and about 3 liters of water) that will keep me on the trail for about 7-8 days before resupply (food and fuel) and roughly 100 miles (trail miles).  Now this is lightweight backpacking and predominantly warmer months of the year.

With that in mind, you kind of need to assess your kit and season.  An 80 liter pack is pretty big, but not necessarily if winter camping/backpacking and you need to pack bulkier insulation.  The challenge is that this limits much of the rest of the year unless you just pack more stuff. The problem with large packs like this isn't their size so much as their weight and their ability to compress well on smaller loads.  If they don't compress well, then they flop and carry like crap.  I've only been able to move down to a smaller pack because my gear has been upgraded over the years...lighter and more compact shelter, insulation, clothing, cooking pot, etc.  For those just getting started with basic car camping gear, a larger pack may very well be a good starting point.  Additionally, I got the most use of my Kifaru EMR which has about a 120 liter capacity (roughly 7000 cu inches) when I was the pack mule for a family of four backing into a primitive area.  Both kids were small and my wife and I hauled in typical car camping equipment (tent, bags, etc.) for our two kids.  Thank God those days are long past!  My Kifaru is now my winter bugout bag that I would haul to my truck

The Khyber is an overbuilt, quality pack designed to carry large and heavy loads.  If that's something that might work for you, the price is pretty good.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Funny you mention ULA, they are a favorite of HammockForum's Shug and his hammock videos are a favorite of mine.

I started comparing features between the ULA offerings and this Arc'Tex, with prices close I had no qualms giving up a pound for additional durability.

Winter backpacking, family backpacking, yes -- all this stuff applies.  I quickly see myself making up for the gear the kids can't carry (even now car camping I pack two smaller bags for myself to make up for the weight the kids can't schlep to the site).

I took the plunge on this.  Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I see they have the 50 liter version for $199
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
This deal has me thinking I need to upgrade to a larger, more civ friendly bag than my old issue gear.  Im used a Medium Molle Ruck for our last 2-week trip and hated it the last couple days for a variety of reasons. This pack has more volume while weighing less, and looks like it is built similarly to their civ line, whick I really like.  Im selling off the heavy army gear as fast as I can.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see they have the 50 liter version for $199
View Quote

I did not consider the 50L version: my thoughts were with the 80L version, the stuff I strap outside my 33L Janesport will go inside; with the 50L version, not so much.

Maybe a mistake on my end, but I was not about to drop $420 impulsively on bags -- I ain't no chick
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah,  that's a really good price IMO. 

Probably not the pack I'd want to to take on a long distance hike, but it's bulletproof and can carry heavy loads comfortably. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The 80 is going to be big, really big for most uses. I have a 54L pack from them (Echo) and its been great. Arc'teryx is spendy, but my pack has been great and I think it was money well spent. At this price you cant go wrong, but the 80 would be much bigger that I would personally want.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Received my 80l the other day, unloaded my former hiking ruck into this one, still about 18 inches of room inside vertically.  Might make this a dedicated winter pack and buy the 50L for everything else, its pretty big.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Received my 80l the other day, unloaded my former hiking ruck into this one, still about 18 inches of room inside vertically.  Might make this a dedicated winter pack and buy the 50L for everything else, its pretty big.
View Quote

Yeah, that's usually the way it works.  My largest pack (7000+ cu inches/115 liters) is a mammoth and since I'm not packing for the kids anymore, it's my main winter bug-out bag.  I could literally stuff three times my ultralight backpacking gear in that pack and enough food for a month  Still, when you get beyond regular backpacking and you start talking combat or SHTF oriented kit, that size and frame make a significant difference.  If you're not running that cuben-fiber tent/tarp and 950+down bag, the larger capacity will come in handy, just watch the weight.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have always had a "big" pack. My current pack is 80L single sack design similar to one linked in the original post.

One complaint I see over and over is that a big pack allows you to bring to much stuff. So DON'T.... The gear list is the gear list. Only bring what you need for the trip!

Advantages:
The majority of the weight is in the suspension system. Pack cloth is pretty light and it costs very little in weight to go from 60 to 80L.

A big pack allows you put everything in your pack, nothing hanging out to get caught on trees / brush or act like a sail in the wind when going over a pass (a problem in the Sierra).

Easier to put a rain cover or trash bag over in the rain. (No pack is water proof)

You don't have to cram stuff in your pack and it makes stuff easier to find. You can save your sleeping bag, tent, etc. a little by using a large stuff sack and not compressing it so much, etc. Easier on you too not having CRAM it in the sack.

If you have a small load - lay the pack down on it's back, load your stuff based on weight distribution as normal and then pull the compression straps...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My view is that 80L packs are a throwback to the days prior to cheap and ubiquitous lightweight gear.  You will not need it. 

I would think a 60 to 65L pack is tops.  Something like a Aether, not an Atmos.  Aether has replaceable belts while Aether has repairable belts.

Perhaps you would be better served with a ULA circuit or a Exos 58 for the Sierras.  The issue with the packs designed for lightweight backpacking is the bear containers that are mandatory in much of the Sierras.  These can be difficult to pack.

I still use my REI Trekker Wonderland because I can pack a BV500 horizontally, or lash it on the outside, above or below.  External frame packs have widths that are not seen for internal frame packs but the largest in a manufacturer's line up.

I hate bear containers.  We should start shooting bears that are too attached to stealing human food, rather than relocate them.  They'll just steal more food.  Yosemite campers train the bears, the rangers relocate the bears, and the backpackers have to put up with it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Thinking of humping 80L of gear just blew out my L1,2,3,4,and 5.

I've yet to go over 4500ci. And stay under 3500ci for the majority of time.
Tryi g to think of going sub 2k like I used by upgrading to different gear choices...quilts vs bags..hammock vs tarps/shelters...less junk that never gets used but my 2 is 1 mind still has me dump in there.
Yes protus..you really need two led light sticks...perfect rescue beacons when strobing...he's you need that signal mirror...100ft of ,550...and don't forget three reloads ...never know..pack of swamp apes may attack.....

Ughhhh
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I am looking at ads for my long discontinued 33 liter Janesport and see it sometimes listed as a day bag and other times as a three-day bag.

When I started to put together gear for a winter over-night I find I have to lash most my stuff to the outside, which doesn't seem ideal for any real hiking.  

I have only given the Khyber a cursory inspection but the frame alone looks to make this more comfortable.  There is a top section of the bag I can leave off, and I can stow everything except my foam pad inside.

If I get more into backpacking I will look to bridge the gap between 33L and 80L, but for now I think this will be very useful solo in the winter and 3-season with children in tow.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Major mistake buying a backpack without trying it on, and getting fitted.  If it is discomfortable, then you will not see it as saving money on a top-tier pack that adds to the bad-boy image, but a total waste of money.

Pain and discomfort has a way of doing that when you are on the second or third mountain pass.

Large packs with heavy loads... it is more important to be fitted and ensure it will be comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a olderArc'teryx Bora 80. Great pack and will carry far more than I want. I use it for colder temps or if I'm carrying more that 30 lbs.
Summer I use a Osprey 50 liter pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top