Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're packing 20 POUNDS of ammo?
View Quote

Go big or go home!

But seriously...

60 rds of 9mm

1 mag in the gun, 3 reloads.

Eta: no long gun mags in my quick go bag, but I keep a bando of 6x30 rds and my gtg next to the bag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not asking about how many loaded mages, in your safe, under your bed , in your truck, at yo mamas .

I'm asking about grab and go, AR and one bag.
View Quote

I always take my Gandalf with me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not asking about how many loaded mages, in your safe, under your bed , in your truck, at yo mamas .

Drunk Gandalf at that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Too old to bug out, live out in the sticks, so No bug-out-bag, just stand and fight.
Maybe I have already bugged out and didn't even know it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#5]
2 spare mags for my CM9.  
And depending on what long gun is there.

Around 500 22lr if it's my 10/22 TD  (about 100 quiets). Few loaded in mags then a few boxes
75 12ga if it's my Model 12 (mostly OO. Dozen slugs, few less lethal slugs).  Few shot cards and a bandoleer
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're packing 20 POUNDS of ammo?
View Quote

It seems like more- now I'm going to have to go weigh it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep extra mags/ammo for the carry pistol in my bags.

I don't keep my bag full of rounds for the AR.

If I grab an AR, I have a "grab can", which is a 50 cal ammo can with mainly AR mags/ammo, but also a little bit of everything for every caliber I own. If the AR comes, walking 10 feet to the other side of the bedroom to get the grab can is well within the possibility.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#8]
6 AR mags, 2 pistol mags.   In the go bag.    Given an extra minute's notice,  LOTS more.   Getting into the truck, even more.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
4 30 round mags and one in the gun. 2 mags for the handgun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Currently, 4 SF 60 round mag in chest pouch and one in the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#11]
For me it depends.  

I have a bag for BO and I have a GHB.  My BO bag is much heavier as I don't plan on coming back.  My GHB is much lighter and is just to get me home, so I want light and small.

My GHB consist of my G21 in 10mm with two spare mags.

My BO bag has 4 mags on the bag.  My chest rig has 5 mags and one in my AR15.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#12]
So no one loads to just 27/28 rounds, instead of the full 30? Cause, if not, you're are doing it wrong

Reason being that when you replace a partial mag and insert a new mag on a loaded weapon you can sometimes have seating issues with a fully loaded 30 rounder. Now, I realize that everyone here is SF/DELTA gods and they just monkey stomp that mag into place. However, for us less than godlike creatures, having 1 or 2 rounds out of the mag make it easier to seat and reduces the chances of magazine related failure. Something to ponder, it is not "the" way just "a" way to do things.

So, OP 1 x 30rounder loaded + 2 x 28rounders = 86 (this is not GD, so no 87)
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So no one loads to just 27/28 rounds, instead of the full 30? Cause, if not, you're are doing it wrong

Reason being that when you replace a partial mag and insert a new mag on a loaded weapon you can sometimes have seating issues with a fully loaded 30 rounder. Now, I realize that everyone here is SF/DELTA gods and they just monkey stomp that mag into place. However, for us less than godlike creatures, having 1 or 2 rounds out of the mag make it easier to seat and reduces the chances of magazine related failure. Something to ponder, it is not "the" way just "a" way to do things.

View Quote

There is some truth to this and it requires more attention and effort if you're trying to seat a full 30 round magazine on a closed bolt/loaded rifle.  I've found less issues with Pmags and my Lancers, but it wouldn't hurt to practice with what you're using as it may not be as easy if you're doing it in a drill; and you want to avoid running dry...just a habit that should be exercised.

So, defining the purpose of the bailout bag as opposed to a bugout bag, is there a difference?  I think so.  For me, it's a bug-home-bag as it's often in my truck and is geared towards getting me home for a worse-case scenario of having to ditch my truck.  I've trained with a bailout bag when in Afghanistan where it augmented my 72-hour bag.  It was more of a bag for mags, ammo, frags and batteries, etc...strictly a mission-focused bag.  I think the comparison to an "active shooters" bag is pretty close.  Since we don't live in a combat zone, our CCW is likely all we have on our person and times, maybe not depending on occupation, location and local restrictions.  Our bailout bag becomes not just a resupply, but likely our "vest" in a bag, carrying our essential fighting gear...that's my take on the CONUS-based bailout bag.

I have a Hawkespak Rifle Bugout Bag.  A simple should bag that can also be attached around the waist if you need to move fast (which is likely).  It will hold six AR mags, but I only keep four in it.  Depending on my CCW, I will often have a 2-4 extra mags, a bottle of water, IFAK, zip-cuffs, multitool, larger tactical LED with extra batteries, wire cutters, mini-breacher bar, gloves, eyewear and a dust/smoke mask.  Now, if I'm driving outside a 100 mile radius for longer trips, my bugout bag will have extra ammo as well.  This is easy to overdo and many still even question the necessity of a bailout or active shooter's bag.  Times are changing and it's best to have and not need than need and not have.  Chances are you may never need or use such a setup, however the reason you prepare is as much about not needing it as it is having it when it may be needed (spare-tire analogy insert).  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#14]
300rds of 5.56, 150rds of 9mm if I'm bugging out on foot, never to return. That's about all I can carry along with all the other essentials and still be worth a fuck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
90 rounds in 3 mags.
View Quote

80 here (2x30 and a 20 in the gun due storage space), one extra pistol mag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How often are you guys having to actually carryuse your bailout bags any significant distance?  I've been snowed in before during a week long blackout and had to huff it on foot a few miles with the wife and dog.  Nowhere along that little trek did I find the need for a rifle.  If anything would have gone down, I think my pistol would have done a much better job.  Barring some sort of fantasy end of the world martial law walking dead zombie apocalypse, 30 rounds is way more than enough rifle ammo.  Then whatever pistol you want on your hip and a couple mags.  

What I have done since then is hooked a generator up to the house, stored plenty of fresh potable water, and set us up so for most realistic situations so I shouldn't need to grab any bugout bag.
View Quote

Added some points
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I may be an idiot and if so, feel free to tell me so.

The first thing I'm thinking about is mobility. How much can I get away with not carrying.

I have supplies for overnight (bivvy, emergency blanket and a pillow), easy food (oatmeal, paper bowls, plastic spoons and such), a jetboil, a change of clothes, and some hygiene items.

I also pack a compass, a few lights and extra batteries.

In that BOB I have a rifle and a handgun. Each of which carry three reloads plus what is in the firearm.  I don't foresee using these and if I get into a situation where I'm in a running gun battle I've already screwed up. If I could get away without carrying the rifle I would do it.  Some bags have a special rifle compartment that disguises it. I need one, as people don't need to see me carrying it. Low key, gray man is the name of the game.

My goal is to get where I'm going as quickly as I can. The more complicated the pack, the heavier it gets. I don't want to carry 60lbs when I can do less than half of that.

I have all of my prepared survival material at my BOL. I just need to reach it.

Thoughts? Thanks :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#18]
100 rds of 9mm
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The first thing I'm thinking about is mobility. How much can I get away with not carrying.

I have supplies for overnight (bivvy, emergency blanket and a pillow), easy food (oatmeal, paper bowls, plastic spoons and such), a jetboil, a change of clothes, and some hygiene items.

In that BOB I have a rifle and a handgun. Each of which carry three reloads plus what is in the firearm.  I don't foresee using these and if I get into a situation where I'm in a running gun battle I've already screwed up. If I could get away without carrying the rifle I would do it.  Some bags have a special rifle compartment that disguises it. I need one, as people don't need to see me carrying it. Low key, gray man is the name of the game.

My goal is to get where I'm going as quickly as I can. The more complicated the pack, the heavier it gets. I don't want to carry 60lbs when I can do less than half of that.

View Quote

I think you are right on the money, I'm actually waiting on a Form 1 to come back for my glock to SBR it and use it as middle ground with the thought process being a 22 round mag in a glock could easily do 80% of the engagements I'd reasonably expect to encounter on my way home and if it's low threat the stock/big mags just stay in the bag and everything remains concealed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
5x30=150
View Quote

Same , one in and four in carrier.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How often are you guys having to actually use your bailout bags?  I've been snowed in before during a week long blackout and had to huff it on foot a few miles with the wife and dog.  Nowhere along that little trek did I find the need for a rifle.  If anything would have gone down, I think my pistol would have done a much better job.  Barring some sort of fantasy end of the world martial law walking dead zombie apocalypse, 30 rounds is way more than enough rifle ammo.  Then whatever pistol you want on your hip and a couple mags.  

What I have done since then is hooked a generator up to the house, stored plenty of fresh potable water, and set us up so for most realistic situations so I shouldn't need to grab any bugout bag.
View Quote

But seriously with the small size and affordability of things like the Hawkepaks ITOA Bag there really is no reason to not have something packed in your car for the Unexpected.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is spot on.  Everybody's situation is different, but most acknowledge that the objective is likely to get home or to a designated bugout location.  Getting from point A to point B is likely by vehicle first with other options before resorting to on-foot.  More weight on the back will not only slow you down, it will make you less agile and likely more prone to injury.  I do distant backpacking (only between 50-150 miles of trail backpacking), so weight is a serious consideration most don't think about until mile three or four.  Most would also agree fast is better which also necessitates a lighter load.  Gray-man is also a majority recommendation as any scenario that would likely cause you to hoof it on foot would also either make you a target for opportunists or law enforcement; going "gray" would garner less attention.  

I see my specific bailout bag as mission necessary and not something I would sling over my shoulder along with my get home bag for any significant distance.  Some items could be cross-loaded to my pack, it could be left in my truck or I could carry it a short distance and cache what I didn't need.  It's all situational-dependent, but the goal is to get to a defensible and sustainable location (home or bugout location or your fantasy bunker).  You want to accomplish this as quick as possible to avoid being a "refugee" target or draw any attention, but it should be balanced between speed, stealth and/or gray-man approach.  Lastly, you want to maintain your ability to defend yourself at all times.  A rifle will always trump a handgun, but for many, a handgun is their best option; terrain also influences that decision.  Some have compromised with a long slide pistol like the Glock 34 and I'm also considering swapping out my AR for a more compact CZ Scorpion "pistol" with arm brace.  If you're in an environment with significant open areas and longer line-of-sight, powered optics and a rifle may be your best option.  Regardless of your firearm choice, I think most would agree it's a prudent practice having the ability to fully conceal any firearm unless the zombies are running free.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I keep one of the 300 round South African 5.56 battlepacks in my BOB, plus at least four loaded mags. If I cant handle the weight I will shed some on the journey.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#24]
if we can count the bailout pelican case setting next to the bail out bags, that holds 57 30 round Pmags loaded with 62gr green tips
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I disabused myself of any armed bugout fantasies years ago after moving to my BOL (which is far away from the coast, not really subject to extreme weather events in my locale, not in a large city, has ample supplies, etc) and realizing with a family it simply wasn't happening anyway. The idea that one would grab a pack and a long arm and trundle off into the wilderness to survive is silly IMHO, and there is no remotely plausible scenario that would have me take that approach. If I ever did BO it would be by vehicle, or not at all.

That said, I do work about 60 miles from my home, and as such I do maintain a GHB. Road home is not heavily populated and is a fairly straight shot. Three spare mags for my carry gun is all I keep handy in the GHB. Again, virtually no remotely plausible scenario would require me to carry a long arm, as I'd not be looking for trouble anyway.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#26]
None. Separate so I can scale from zero.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#27]
In my BOB, none. Zero, zip. I have other ammo on PCs and in ammo cans I can grab if I need ammo. I keep a supply of various calibers in the car at all times.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#28]
In my "BOB" none. If anything i would have a spare mag for my carry gun but that is it. The bag stays in my vehicle and has stuff I may need in any number of scenarios when I am not at home. The bag is meant to give me supplies to get home. I do not envision a scenario where I am going to be having to go from normal day to day to SHTF in such a small frame of time that I need to carry that kind of ammo with me. I have used several of my other BOB items on more than one occasion. But the firearm has not been one of them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Some of you guys may want to read about what people escaping eastern Ukraine were carrying. The short version is that a ton of ammo and guns out on the open wasnt the bets way to go, rather the opposite.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In my "BOB" none. If anything i would have a spare mag for my carry gun but that is it. The bag stays in my vehicle and has stuff I may need in any number of scenarios when I am not at home. The bag is meant to give me supplies to get home. I do not envision a scenario where I am going to be having to go from normal day to day to SHTF in such a small frame of time that I need to carry that kind of ammo with me. I have used several of my other BOB items on more than one occasion. But the firearm has not been one of them.
View Quote

Pretty much me.

Although If I do know I am going into dangerous territory, I will roll with the AR15 pistol with 3x 30 round mags as insurance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep loaded mags in my place in a mechanics bag just in case I have to defend my very small Castle, they are all loaded with 28 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There's no right or wrong answer here. METT-TC. In my patrol vehicle while on duty, 3-30 round pmags in a grab and go thigh rig plus 1 loaded in my patrol rifle. On my person, 3 G22 mags. Off duty, just my Shield AIWB with an extra mag and SF G2X.
View Quote

Best response. It all depends on what you're doing.

Personally, my minimum is 3 mags (counting what's in the weapon). While it is doubtful you'd need a full magazine, 3 will at least get you through one mag related malfunction and a tactical reload after the threat has been dealt with in case another would present itself.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

None..alcohol and magic do not mix.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some of you guys may want to read about what people escaping eastern Ukraine were carrying. The short version is that a ton of ammo and guns out on the open wasnt the bets way to go, rather the opposite.
FerFAL
View Quote

Spent several months there after the fact. Some good stories and lessons to be sure, especially regarding currency.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sounds like I hit a nerve?  I live in an area prone to power outages and my generator gets real honest to god use several times a year.  My water supply was required once.  How many times have I had to bug out of my house because shit hit the fan and then while out of the house, had to pull a gun?  Not one single time.  Not even close to it, looney tunes.  I do carry a gun, but I live in reality.  If you think that you'll end up at a convenience store or bank or whatever and you're gonna need 250 rounds of .223, I'm sorry, you've just seen way too many movies.

Seriously, what are you planning to hit with each of your 250 rounds?  Is that so you can lay down some cover fire for your squad to get to higher ground?  The only place anybody should be squeezing off that many rounds is at a range.  There is no realistic scenario where you anybody would need that many bullets outside of a warzone or a spirited session at the shooting range.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Three in a micro chest rig, one in the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
5x30=150
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#38]
None. I have a separate container of gun stuff that gets tossed in the bag if ammo/mags is situation appropriate. Not everywhere I go is gun friendly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't really have a "BOB" per say, as I live in my BOL, and heading into the woods to "survive" is not even remotely realistic for any realistic scenario IMHO.  I spend a good amount of time practicing, and playing wilderness survival, bushcraft, camping etc...  I cover 100s of wilderness miles each year on foot, and maybe with this realistic ground level wilderness experience you realize that living in the woods out of a backpack for the foreseeable future is a really bad idea.  That's planning to fail, because your failing to plan.  Planning to live of the land is no plan at all, unless you already have large gardens and trap lines in place prior to whatever the situation may be.  Not to get even more preachy but our planet is far to over populated to even consider this.  Each person on the globe barely has one livable acre if they were all divvied up.  Human population out numbers big game population in most areas (that's less than one animal each.) I could post links and statistics but I am not going to bother because if you think about it realistically there isn't much of an argument.  

If anything a few extra CCW mags ride in my go gear.  Maybe an extra box of CCW ammo in the Jeep.  

I do have a designated variety pack ammo can I keep as a first grab, one can fits all unknown situation just because.

Most likely first, least likely last.  If you read historical accounts of any disaster scenarios around the globe in the last century none really match up with mad max.

Then again I am not a high speed low drag sporting battle rattle kinda guy.

But wait, I did stay at a holiday in last night, and often sport a Velcro patch hat!

-No really I think Velcro patch hats are neat because you can change it out for different random patches!  

Any ways, I would never discourage anyone from having some type of go bag, but just think about its uses realistically, and pack it accordingly.  If one feels multiple 30 round rifle mags are necessary to feel safe then go for it, being prepared overall is what counts!  
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#40]
2.2 pounds per magazine, with the average hit potential of one fatality per 3 rounds with a  trained shooter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
2.2 pounds per magazine, with the average hit potential of one fatality per 3 rounds with a  trained shooter.
View Quote

2.2 pounds per mag?  Is that a steel mag with 75gr TAP?  Between Magpuls, Lancer and USGI Aluminum, full weights were between 16-18oz loaded; roughly 1.1-1.3 pounds.  Many typically round up and just say 1.5 pounds per loaded mag but there really is not that much difference between 55gr, 62gr and 75gr; 30 rounds of 62gr is only 0.5oz heavier than 30 rounds of 55gr and 30 rounds of 75gr is only 1.4oz heavier than 30 rounds of 55gr.

The average hit potential is probably too high; "trained" shooter is highly subjective

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I think it's silly to carry boxed ammo in my bug out bag. I keep 6 mags on my plate carrier and one in the rifle. Two pistol mags. Where I'm bugging out to will have plenty of loaded mags. If I have to bug out I'll be going by vehicle and taking plenty of stuff. If I have to go on foot the rifle will be needed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I keep one of the 300 round South African 5.56 battlepacks in my BOB, plus at least four loaded mags. If I cant handle the weight I will shed some on the journey.
View Quote

How much water are you carrying..food..shelter...etc etc...
Then start dumping....after your already fatigued...
I love that line.

Ill carry 89lbs of xyz...but dump 30 once I figure out humping it sucks.
Which for most is in that first 2 hours. 3-6 miles.
Push through it..and your wasted.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think that statistic is 3 hits, no idea how many rounds fired to get the hits.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a good sized Camelback (older BFM?) that I carry in the car and also use when traveling. It has a change of clothes, shelter kit, toiletry kit, some freeze-dried food, fire making and cooking tools, a first aid kit, carabiners, paracord, etc. I've had to use it multiple times when stuck with no luggage (and once when we couldn't get back home and had to stay in a hotel). It doesn't have any ammo or a gun in it because I take it on the airplane when I fly and work doesn't allow weapons of any kind.

I figure if I have to bug out, it will be one of two types of bug out: (1) short term problem necessitating leaving for 1-3 days (think gas/chemical leak, etc.) or (2) longer term problem possibly necessitating leaving home behind (unlikely). Either way, I have a rifle bag and one of these MTM Tactical Mag can that holds 15 loaded mags. That's all I'd likely need if I was forced to leave my house. When I'm not at work, my carry pistol has 18rds. and I have two spare mags I carry in the pockets of my cargo pants. If that don't do it, it won't get done.

In theory, I could use my bag to get home on foot if I was forced to. Depending on when it happened, I could be weaponless in that situation and would have to be extremely careful.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:49:23 AM EDT
[#46]
If I have to bug-out, I'am taking the entire ammo fort with me....  If it's a safety patrol 3 mags pouched and 1 locked-n-loaded....
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#47]
When I lived in ME, $5000 in currency (USD, Euros and UAE Dirham), fixed blade knife, spare batteries, wipes, 2 liters water and change of clothes.

Back home, currency, credit card, change of clothes, knife and 2 liters water.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Bail out bag; I have 3-30rd rifle mags. 90 rounds total. Also keep 2 extra pistol (CCW) mags loaded. I would add more if the politico tempo changes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Are some people getting "bail out bag" and "bug out bag" confused, or is it the same thing these days?
  My vehicles bail out bag isn't long distance survival gear. Just for running and gunning & medical stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are some people getting "bail out bag" and "bug out bag" confused, or is it the same thing these days?
  My vehicles bail out bag isn't long distance survival gear. Just for running and gunning & medical stuff.
View Quote

There does seem too be some confusion as definitions vary widely.  Bug-out/bug home bags are more sustainment oriented, focused on shelter, water and the essentials to get to your objective.  Self-defense requirements also vary widely and influenced by the individual's requirements, experience and plans.  I used a bail-out bag exclusively in Afghanistan; it was oriented mostly as a combat-reload bag if I had to literally "bailout" of my gun truck.  I can see the value post SHTF or as a range-bag for training.  I like the "active shooter" bag idea, which to me is smaller than a bailout bag, with few extra rifle/pistol mags and can be carried with your bugout/home kit if needed.; mine is exclusively kept in my truck. Whatever definition or name you choose, just integrate it into your plans and think through the uses.  

ROCK6
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top