Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2016 11:26:30 PM EDT
India is banning its 1,000 and 500 rupee notes (about $15 and $7.50).  This is 86% of its paper currency in circulation. It appears that they are going cashless.  It would be worth watching to see what happens there so as we as individuals can benefit from their experience.  This is not for schadenfreude (and I wish the Indian people well) but to learn.   It's been said that we are only 3 days (9 meals) away from a riot.  How about India?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that they're actually reissuing them.  Lots of people in India keep cash stashed away in their home for emergencies and weddings, for instance.  That money is often gotten in under-the-table transactions and isn't taxed, or wasn't.

As I understand it, you have a limited time to exchange the old notes for the new ones and explain how you came about the money, much like taking $100,000 in US notes and depositing them into your personal bank account.  If you can't document the money, you get taxed at a certain rate and still get new notes for the remainder.

Even the poorest of the poor keeps a SHTF fund, so it's pretty widespread.

Chris

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that they're actually reissuing them.  Lots of people in India keep cash stashed away in their home for emergencies and weddings, for instance.  That money is often gotten in under-the-table transactions and isn't taxed, or wasn't.

As I understand it, you have a limited time to exchange the old notes for the new ones and explain how you came about the money, much like taking $100,000 in US notes and depositing them into your personal bank account.  If you can't document the money, you get taxed at a certain rate and still get new notes for the remainder.

Even the poorest of the poor keeps a SHTF fund, so it's pretty widespread.

Chris
View Quote

This is what i have heard as well.  Indians use cash transactions to avoid taxes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#3]
And their population is disarmed and easy to cow so they will submit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And their population is disarmed and easy to cow so they will submit.
View Quote

They are not totally disarmed you can have the great $2000 .32 revolver!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I doubt if a new currency is being issued.  If it was, then it would be a matter of exchanging old notes for new notes and that's not being done here.  When there is a change in currency/coin, that is more akin to when Britain replaced its old coinage with new coinage (shillings used to be worth 12 pennies and now they're five pennies) or when Europe abandoned the franc, mark, lira, drachma,  what-not for the euro-dollar.  Here it is turn it in and get (electronic) credit in your bank account.

Like Jim Rickards said, you have to herd sheep (people) into a pen before you slaughter them.  It is trickle down poverty.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
This kind of currency "exchange" happened in Mexico several years back.

We used to go down there with a church group and do mission work.  We always wound up bringing some currency back with us.  A few years elapsed and we went back, taking some of the currency just to get rid of it.  The Mexican government had withdrawn the old notes and required the people to exchange for the new currency.  Our currency was worthless.  It wasn't worth much to start with.  I gave it to one of the kids who was determined to cash it in and he went to a bank.  They sent him packing.

This is something that worries me a little, as I wouldn't put it past our leaders to do something like this.

I still have the Mexican silver coins that I managed to accumulate over the years.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#7]
In India, 98% of consumer payments are in cash; compared with 20% of all payments in the US.  In other words, the US already figured out how to track the money to get its grubby hands on it through excessive taxation.  This is probably more about India wrapping it's arms around currency outside the tax-reporting system than trying to devalue it.

The US in a different position.  They already have a good way to steal as much money as they can through taxation, but still need to find a way to devalue it to pay for welfare at the top and bottom of society.  

One challenge to the thieves is if they change the value of or remove a certain face value denomination, it attracts attention; it calls into question the value of the "reserve" currency.  A currency that is supposed to be (and was at one point) as good as gold.  BTW this is why the Federal Reserve Note is the reserve currency of the world.  It could be exchanged for gold at any bank.  That is what gave it value, scarcity, and trustworthiness.

Anyway, in the US we need to watch out for things like total cashlessness, where they can hit another zero and not worry about people using reasoning by saying, "Why ban $100s but not $10s?"  Moreover, Congress openly touts the idea of messing with IRA and 401(k) accounts.  

They would love nothing more than to force a replacement of a chunk of each person's IRA and 401(k) with government bonds that have crappy or no value considering their low interest rates and inflation working against the returns.  Don't want to agree?  Fine.  Lose the IRA and 401(k) tax wrappers.  Pay more taxes.

By hook or by crook.

ETA: Wow speak of the devil.  Check this out.  This is the [digital] US version of India trying to keep track of all transactions.  See how the US already had everything on lock down through IRS reporting until Bitcoin and Coinpurse came along providing anonymity?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/business/dealbook/as-fintech-comes-of-age-government-seeks-an-oversight-role.html?_r=0
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I doubt if a new currency is being issued.  If it was, then it would be a matter of exchanging old notes for new notes and that's not being done here.  
View Quote

Well, you're actually wrong.  Not trying to argue, but I found the older BBC article from November.

"It is not unusual for half the value of a property transaction to be paid in cash, with buyers turning up with suitcases full of 1,000 rupee notes.

The size of this shadow economy is reckoned to be as much as 20% of India's entire GDP.

Mr Modi's demonetisation is designed to drive black money out of the shadows.

At the moment you can exchange up to 4,500 (£48) of the old rupees in cash for new 500 (£6) and 2,000 (£24) rupee notes.

There is no limit to the amount that can be deposited in bank accounts until the end of December, but the government has warned that the tax authorities will be investigating any deposits above 250,000 rupees (£2,962)."

The article further states that roughly only one percent (1%) of all eligible Indians pay any income tax at all.

I'm not going to debate the merits of IT, or any tax, but there you have it.

Indian currency/bank note swap...

Chris
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Trying to drive out the black market from the shadows is normal reason offered to the public.  It's just like Larry Summers saying we should get rid of Franklin to cut down the drug trade.  C'mon, several big banks have been fined for laundering drug money but the fines still makes laundering profitable for them and no bank exec ever goes to prison.   Here's something from the link you provided:

On 8 November, Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave only four hours' notice that virtually all the cash in the world's seventh-largest economy would be effectively worthless.
View Quote

No where in that article linked above did it say that a replacement currency was being issued in its place.  Rather, the article above confirms my assertion that India is going cashless.  Now, here's something from Bloomberg Link :

It certainly took everyone in India by surprise. But then, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a flair for the dramatic. In an unexpected primetime address on Tuesday, he announced that in a few hours, millions of high-denomination currency notes would no longer be legal tender. It was the only way, he insisted, to deal with “the disease” of unaccounted-for income -- or “black money,” as it’s called in India. “Your money will remain yours,” he assured a stunned citizenry -- as long as you get around to depositing it in post offices sometime over the next several weeks.
View Quote

Under India's new system, your "money" is still in the post-office/bank but not in your hands.  You don't get new currency as asserted that can be stuffed into a wallet or beneath a mattress.  It's still yours, but (like Cyprus or Argentina or Venzeula) you're limited to how much you may withdraw and they may devalue it anytime they want.  No capital flight, no exchanging for tangibles that are invulnerable to inflation.  I bet many Venezuelans wished they stocked up on food, toilet paper, condoms beforehand.  An ounce of silver right now will buy you several months of food in Venzeula.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They would love nothing more than to force a replacement of a chunk of each person's IRA and 401(k) with government bonds that have crappy or no value considering their low interest rates and inflation working against the returns.  Don't want to agree?  Fine.  Lose the IRA and 401(k) tax wrappers.  Pay more taxes.

By hook or by crook.
View Quote

Sorry for the drift...
I think this has happened to some degree. Specifically, by way of requiring brokerage firms to channel their clients' brokerage accounts into sweep accounts that "invest" in .gov paper.  Two or three months ago I purchased some shares of a company by way of my retirement brokerage account. There was, I thought, about 5X the amount of cash I needed to cover the purchase in my money market sweep account...so everything should be fine...

The day after the trade I get this email from the brokerage saying that I didn't have enough money in my sweep account to purchase the designated shares and that if I didn't do something the shares would be considered to be bought on margin and that I'd get nailed for interest.  WTF?  It turns out that I had to fund a new "gov money market" sweep account composed of .gov paper.

I guess when Uncle Sugar now needs to go to the autoteller, they can "leak" some info that would have a bunch of people selling stocks...with the proceeds of said sales sweeping, ultimately, into gov paper.

We now return you to the topic at hand...something to do with India as I recall...
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This kind of currency "exchange" happened in Mexico several years back.

We used to go down there with a church group and do mission work.  We always wound up bringing some currency back with us.  A few years elapsed and we went back, taking some of the currency just to get rid of it.  The Mexican government had withdrawn the old notes and required the people to exchange for the new currency.  Our currency was worthless.  It wasn't worth much to start with.  I gave it to one of the kids who was determined to cash it in and he went to a bank.  They sent him packing.

This is something that worries me a little, as I wouldn't put it past our leaders to do something like this.

I still have the Mexican silver coins that I managed to accumulate over the years.
View Quote

im pretty sure them bringing all of the "untaxed cash jobs" money from out of the woodwork to tax it isnt gonna happen since its mostly illegals
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought all them folks are over here running the motels and drive in stores!
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Just read on Zero Hedge that the tax guys are doing searches on people's houses, no warrant, and confiscating gold.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just read on Zero Hedge that the tax guys are doing searches on people's houses, no warrant, and confiscating gold.
View Quote

link

I wasn't aware of that.  I do know that as a nation India probably has the most amount of gold, much of it in indivdiual hands (jewelry) and in their temples.  If the Indians don't riot, then that would be encouraging for the theives elsewhere to do the same.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

link

I wasn't aware of that.  I do know that as a nation India probably has the most amount of gold, much of it in indivdiual hands (jewelry) and in their temples.  If the Indians don't riot, then that would be encouraging for the theives elsewhere to do the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

https://www.marketslant.com/articles/cash-almost-dead-gold-next-jim-rickards
Rickards really knows his stuff.
I've said for a while that the war on cash would be followed quickly by a war on gold. India may prove the point.

Don’t think of this as something that happens only in poor countries. Similar scenes will play out in the U.S. and Europe as elites become more desperate to take your money.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#16]
They are also limiting the amount of precious metals you can own.
They are also limiting the amount of time you have to turn the notes in.
The new notes are also printed so poorly that they have no choice, but to accept counter fit money also.
They have also said if you have stolen money, you can turn it in without consequences. (50% you / 50% .gov)

It's a shit show meant to stop illegal activities and it is poorly executed.  Gotta love progression...
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

https://www.marketslant.com/articles/cash-almost-dead-gold-next-jim-rickards
Rickards really knows his stuff.
I've said for a while that the war on cash would be followed quickly by a war on gold. India may prove the point.

Don’t think of this as something that happens only in poor countries. Similar scenes will play out in the U.S. and Europe as elites become more desperate to take your money.

We are not India, nor Europe. The consequences of doing so here will have a much different outcome.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Jayant Bhandari discusses the impact of India's Prime Minister Mori's action on India and Indians.  He reports that in the last three weeks gold went anywhere from $1,700 to $3,000 USD.  That's how desperate people were to get out of the rupee.  He covers the taxes on gold and how Indians are now storing it at home (thus increasing the crime rate).  Bhandari also covers the rising police state and how Indians are culturally different from the West (they're more used to eating sh*t sammiches).  

link
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I now understand why gold goes for $1,700 to $3k USD an ounce in India.   When you went to the bank/Post Office to turn in your rupees, you met the taxman who would demand a cut.  Hence people avoided depositing their money and fled to shiny stuff instead.

Jim Rickards mentions the previously unknown taxman at the bank/post office in this interview:

or if the software doesn't work, cut and paste this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG4Jd-HoM5s

He also mentions the new Indian war on gold where government officials enter homes and tax any gold (or seize it).  Remember that the Indian culture a bride's dowry is given in gold and that Indians traditionally store their wealth in gold.  It's been estimated that collectively as a nation Indians hold 20k tons of gold.  Lesson:  after the war on cash, there will be a war on gold.  This was discussed in another thread where silver would also be taken so as to make the people dependent on the cashless system that is proposed here (and elsewhere).
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#20]
On Wednesday, Venezuelans will have 10 days to turn in their large notes, just like India; 48% of all currency in the nation:

President Nicolás Maduro said on Sunday that the 100-bolivar note, which is currently worth only two US cents (1.6p) on the black market, will be withdrawn on Wednesday. Venezuelans will then have 10 days to exchange the notes at the central bank.
View Quote

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/12/venezuela-pulls-most-common-banknote-from-circulation-to-beat-mafia
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
More on India from ZeroHedge:  Link
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Financial repression in India takes hold as withdraws are limited following mandatory depositing of 1,000 and 500 rupee notes.

A decision by New Delhi on November 8 to scrap all large-denomination banknotes overnight removed 86 per cent of India’s currency from circulation. In an effort to prevent banks running out of cash, the finance ministry then imposed strict limits on the amount of new notes that could be withdrawn. Customers can currently withdraw just Rs2,500 from an ATM per day — equivalent to $37 — or Rs24,000 over the counter per week.
View Quote

Link

What happens there can happen here.  Heck, try to go into the bank and withdraw $50k right now.  Nope, come back in a few days and be prepared to be questioned by the bank manager (as well as having your name reported).
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Financial repression in India takes hold as withdraws are limited following mandatory depositing of 1,000 and 500 rupee notes.

Link

What happens there can happen here.  Heck, try to go into the bank and withdraw $50k right now.  Nope, come back in a few days and be prepared to be questioned by the bank manager (as well as having your name reported).
View Quote

I bought quite a few cars, new and used. Last year I bought a new SUV, paid half in cash and the rest was financed at 0%.
The guy who did my paperwork said that he had to run my name through a government (Homeland Security) database to get a permission for me to buy a vehicle. It had nothing to do with financing the vehicle. He took my application and left. About 15 minutes later he shows up, shakes my hand and said - "Congratulations, you have passed the background check, you are now allowed to buy the vehicle!" WTF is that? Why do I need someone's permission to buy a vehicle? Was he pulling my leg or was it really the requirement? Scary sh*t....
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
They checked your name against several databases to see if you were involved in any crimes.  Big Brother Best Brother.  As the Romanian woman mentioned above said, most Americans are unaware of the police state that is slowly coming down on them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They checked your name against several databases to see if you were involved in any crimes.  Big Brother Best Brother.  As the Romanian woman mentioned above said, most Americans are unaware of the police state that is slowly coming down on them.
View Quote

The best slave is the one who thinks he's free...
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 1000 rupee note in my wallet right now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Link

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A decision by New Delhi on November 8 to scrap all large-denomination banknotes overnight removed 86 per cent of India’s currency from circulation. In an effort to prevent banks running out of cash, the finance ministry then imposed strict limits on the amount of new notes that could be withdrawn. Customers can currently withdraw just Rs2,500 from an ATM per day — equivalent to $37 — or Rs24,000 over the counter per week.

Link

I got the shit questioned out of me last year for taking 5,000 out in cash.  I was  delayed for 30 minutes. They wanted me to step out of line... haha, no. they didn't have that amount in the drawers and according to them, had to call corporate to get permission to take it out of the vault.  what a load of crap. they asked me a ton of questions about what I was doing with it and why I couldn't use a check. I didn't tell em, but I was having some work done on my house and I made a cash deal with the builder for a nice discount.  Anyway, next time I'm just going to go to the ATM for several days in a row.  The cashier lady said that would be a problem at all... I was dumbfounded.

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Update on India.

Apparently the government is corrupt in trying to implement a cashless society in a backward country.

Update On India’s War On Cash From Jayant Bhandari
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#30]
The suggestion that the C note is to be banned been proposed by Larry Summers and others.  It's to prevent "drug deals" and illegal activity of couse.  The move toward fascism is global.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting video from the Corbett Report on India going cashless.  One big winner in India is a firm that does digital payment.  That's only a small thing compared to who pushed India into the cashless direction: USAID which help fund and create the cashless infrastructure.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#32]
With the current administration, I am skeptical that cashless-society controls, or withdrawing certain currency denominations are going to happen any time soon. Trump appears to very much dislike globalism, and is a capitalist and a businessman.

But all it takes is the pendulum to swing back the other way someday...
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got the shit questioned out of me last year for taking 5,000 out in cash.  I was  delayed for 30 minutes. They wanted me to step out of line... haha, no. they didn't have that amount in the drawers and according to them, had to call corporate to get permission to take it out of the vault.  what a load of crap. they asked me a ton of questions about what I was doing with it and why I couldn't use a check. I didn't tell em, but I was having some work done on my house and I made a cash deal with the builder for a nice discount.  Anyway, next time I'm just going to go to the ATM for several days in a row.  The cashier lady said that would be a problem at all... I was dumbfounded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

I always tell them it's for hookers and gambling in Vegas.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

I retired in January from a career in law enforcement. My last 12 years of so was spent in a federal task force investigating bank robberies so I learned a lot about the banking industry. A lot of the restrictions on withdrawals are related to the war on drugs and are efforts to combat money laundering. Withdrawals and deposits over a certain amount have to be written up in a Suspicious Activity Report which is sent to the feds.
As far as them not having $5000.00 in the drawers it's quite possible. Most of the larger banks (Bank of America, Chase, etc.) have very strict drawer limits so as to mitigate their loss in the case of a robbery. Also, most banks have a surprisingly small amount of money in their vaults on a day to day basis. They try to maintain an amount that allows them to conduct normal business but not much more. This makes accounting easier and is also a way to  prevent large losses in the case of a takeover robbery or even employee theft. Large withdrawals like 50k is almost always going to require planning ahead and giving the bank a few days notice to get the money. OTOH, small banks that haven't yet been swallowed up by the big banks tend to have larger sums on hand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With the current administration, I am skeptical that cashless-society controls, or withdrawing certain currency denominations are going to happen any time soon. Trump appears to very much dislike globalism, and is a capitalist and a businessman.

But all it takes is the pendulum to swing back the other way someday...
View Quote
The power structure upon which currency is built is not concentrated in the Executive branch.  Most of it isn't in any part of government, but in the private entity that creates the currency.  They do have restrictions built into their charter and Federal Reserve Act, but mostly give lip service to Congress.

Cashless society is their end game, full stop.  They will always have their eye on it.  90% of all US currency is already digital numbers that exist solely in computers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Great advantage for the banks is that they collect a percentage of every sale, which is passed onto the merchant who then passes it onto the consumer.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Great advantage for the banks is that they collect a percentage of every sale, which is passed onto the merchant who then passes it onto the consumer.  
View Quote
As a business owner who takes telephone orders with credit cards, the rates charged are almost criminal, especially since ALL RISK is with the merchant. You know that "zero liability" thing on your card? That means if someone buys something with a stolen card, the merchant eats the sale as the credit card takes the money back from the merchant. 

One case of a charge back for us is devastating, and the effects last about 6 months before we can even it all out. Not all merchants are mega-companies that can just eat it, us Mom and Pop shops run a tight margin.

Friggin yay. 

I so wish there were another way for me, but there is nothing viable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Jayhant Bhandari comments on India.  Small businesses had to shut for the lack of rupees (couldn't accept old 500/1000 notes and not set up for electronic currency).  Bigger businesses are now being affected.  Many Indians were unaware of the recall and anyone with more than 10 banknotes were subject to prison.  Economy is going into seizure.  It will take time for it to recover.  

Listen to 22 min interview here:  https://soundcloud.comhttp://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?b=10&f=17&t=687954&r=11779956&page=1#/proven-and-probable/jayant-bhandari-feb-2017
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Poor countries with microeconomies would seem to be the worst places to try this sort of thing.   Most transactions are very small, for small quantities of needed goods.  This sort of thing is why so many people in other countries keep their wealth in jewelry.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#41]
The problem I have with cashless is the lack of personal control.
Lets say I have been taking 20 bucks out of my paycheck every week for 20 years and keeping it at home.  Nothing wrong with that right.  I can spend the money how I want...... yard sales, craigslist...etc.  maybe I want to buy something at a retail location, but I don't want my wife too see it on the account, like for instance a Christmas gift for her, ammo stashes, etc. BTW, we have separate accounts, but I'm trying to paint a picture here.

cant have cash money for an emergency either and I know how we all value that freedom too

Go cashless, that freedom disappears.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Former OMB Director under Reagan David Stockman talks about stocks, banks and the war on cash.

David Stockman-Get out of Stocks Now!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Trying to confirm that Modi is going to reintroduce the 1,000 rupee note.

Found it:  http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/new-1000-note-rbi-pm-narendra-modi-demonetisation/1/887746.html

While I heard it elsewhere and not in the above article, many small businesses collapsed when their customer base could not make electronic payments (debit card) or the business was not set up for debit cards.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Scroll down (about third video down) for a discussion on the demonetization of India. http://jayantbhandari.com/latest-musings/indiagettingworse/
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#45]
That is disturbing but he does not touch on the implications of China or Pakistanc exploiting a disintegrating India. I didn't know the situation was that dynamic. The economy has probably been dealt a death blow and they are a nuclear power! 

Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Total control.

75 cities will be designated cashless/less-cash townships, with an overwhelming 56 of them being in Gujarat. Modi is determined to bring India into the 21st century. He is being cheered behind the curtain and every government is keenly watching the results. The townships were actually selected on the basis of a recommendation by none other than Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) furthering the G20 agenda to stamp out tax evasion worldwide.
View Quote
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/world-news/taxes/india-outlawing-cash-altogether-in-75-cities/
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Total control.

75 cities will be designated cashless/less-cash townships, with an overwhelming 56 of them being in Gujarat. Modi is determined to bring India into the 21st century. He is being cheered behind the curtain and every government is keenly watching the results. The townships were actually selected on the basis of a recommendation by none other than Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) furthering the G20 agenda to stamp out tax evasion worldwide.
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/world-news/taxes/india-outlawing-cash-altogether-in-75-cities/
 The second paragraph is better:
We should be paying close attention to this effort for it is really a global effort to desperately try to support socialism in a world facing a complete collapse in the global monetary system that is on the horizon. Government keep borrowing with never any intention of paying anything off. It’s just one Ponzi Scheme until nobody buys the debt anymore and it just stops.
 I seriously need to start a video blog about all this
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Good article by Jayant Bhandari on why India's attempt to go digital will fail.

Over a billion people in India have no access to internet. When it is available, it is often very slow. Electricity is unreliable. Bank websites are extremely unwieldy. To make an online transaction, the login process is usually very complicated, often requiring several steps and verification codes sent as text messages.

More than a month ago, I paid online for a flight ticket from Delhi to London. The money left my account, but I never got the ticket. It was virtually impossible to get in touch with the Indian company I had bought the ticket from. When I did finally manage to contact them, they told me that they had refunded the money. The bank says it never got the refund. Of course, I have had to personally visit the bank every time and spend a long time waiting to talk to someone. In this electronic day and age, more than a month after the event, no-one knows where my money is.

It is hard to pinpoint who deserves the blame. Indians are extremely unskilled, uneducated (despite paper certificates aiming to prove otherwise), and lack work ethics. They almost never have passion for their jobs or an interest in providing  good services to their clients. This is the main feature characterizing many Indian companies. Management and owners lack professionalism and are singularly focused  on the bottom-line, by hook or by crook, eschewing true value-addition.

I know many people who refuse to use an ATM card. People refuse to make credit or debit card transactions, as they cannot trust the system. Many years ago my Indian credit card company refused to reverse an unauthorized charge. When I asked them to cancel my card, they upgraded my card and imposed a yearly fee. I had no choice but to stop making payments to end a never-ending cycle of problems.

Given the risks involved, many people simply walk down to the bank branch to make an online transaction, which obviously defeats the whole purpose of going digital. When Indians buy something online, they tend to use the “cash on delivery” option, a unique option for buyers in India, where people have no work ethics or trust in each other.

Virtually anyone one meets in India is perplexed about the charges banks impose on accounts these days. There are non-agreed fees and commissions that appear regularly, and on top of those, service taxes are charged. There are tens of charges which no one knows the reason for or is able to explain.

Bank employees favor you with a blank stare when you ask them for an explanation. Even Modi fans finds themselves boiling in anger when their bank statements arrive.

India’s attempt to go cashless will fail. India’s e-commerce companies will fail. The skills and ethics required to run big organizations simply do not exist in India. In the meantime, the forceful imposition of cashless transactions will only succeed in imposing massive costs on society.
View Quote
Read more here:  http://www.acting-man.com/?p=49411
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#49]
As long as the Dabbawala continues normally everything will be fine. If it falters expect hunger and civil discord.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabbawala
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top