Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2016 1:25:35 PM EDT
Water is one of the most important preps in nearly every survival scenario, including well pump failures. How are you stocking up on water? Are you stocking water for cooking, hygeine, cleaning, etc.? I think this is one prep that should be multi-faceted. Stocking adequate amounts of water without limiting space, having methods for purifying water (Life Straw and other carbon filters, Berkey filters, etc.), methods of moving water in manageable quantities, etc. Talk about your water preps!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my own well. I REALLY need to get a hand piston pump down there, but I haven't had the time to dig it up (pitless adapter has to be modernized to make it all work).

I have a cistern right next to the well pit. It holds 1800 gallons. (currently empty, I am working on restoring it)

I have 55 gallon barrels.

I have a lake 200 yards away.

I can filter water many different ways.

I can easily catch rain water if I need to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a shallow well with deep piston pump, but water is of unknown quality... I'm single and store about 24gal in aquatainer and scepters... rotate every hurricane season... a Sawyer .1 micorn 5 gal bucket filter... and store  pool shock and chlorine concentration indicator paper
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I had no idea Simple Pumps for wells were $1,500+. I guess ultimately it's better than buying a 3,000 gallon tank for the same price. I would love one of those 250 gallon vertical storage tanks for inside since it's such a small foot print, but 55 gallon drums are a fraction of the cost. Stacking drums even horizontally with shelving would make water rotation much more difficult.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Interestingly enough I have the well located in my house (an old, converted barn).  Generator for the pump as buck up and I would like to get a hand-pump added, although I could just take the top off (it's about a 2 foot diameter concrete well capped with a movable concrete top...very unique), and use a hand-line and bucket as it's only about 30-40 feet.  All else fails, we have a 12-care lake about 70 feet out the front door.  

Along with the Berkey, I have a Sawyer bucket filter setup and about a dozen backpacking water filters.  With our own septic system, I would just place a five gallon bucket full of lake water to flush the toilets.  In-house water source and a lake for backup...I'm set.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Currently I have 35 cases of bottled water.

I have a well that is dug 150' with water level at approx 65', a way to remove the pump at the pitless and a well bucket to dip water.

Several filters and a pond less than 1/4 mile away.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I just filled my Nalgene...Does that count?
J/K, I want to dig a well, but do not know how to start, or where to drill.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
1000 gal roof/gutter rain cache. 100,000 gal stocked tank.  4 big berky and lots off spare filters.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Huge down sides to liiving in an urban area. Not only do you need to store water you need to be able to throw it in avehicle and leave with it.

http://www.prepperwaterstorage.com/AquaBrick-Water-Storage-Containers-God%20Bless%20Edward%20Snowden.%20God%20Bless%20Ammon%20Bundy.57053.htm
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the ability to store 12,000 gals of water.
If needed it can be filtered.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Well....
150 gallons in barrels

Lots of water bottles

Katadyn ceradyn drip filter

Katadyn pocket..mini..hiker.

Several gallons of bleach.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
How long would city treated water last?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably a week's worth in bottles, a Steripen and a small distilling system that in theory makes 6 quarts per day (running 24 hours).

Not optimal, but I should have access to fresh water in small creeks/ponds and access to a ton of salt water.

If people lost access to safe running water, it would turn into a catastrophe extremely quickly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I suspect that is highly dependent on the water, and storage.

I vacuum seal water in my car trunk, it has lasted three years.  When I swapped it this year, I used distilled water.  Distilled water is cheap enough that I thought why not?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I vacuum seal water in my car trunk, it has lasted three years.  When I swapped it this year, I used distilled water.  Distilled water is cheap enough that I thought why not?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#15]
With in very easy walking distance is this absolutely huge hunk of water.  Sadly most folks would either try and drink it as is and die, or just die from dehydration for lack of knowledge on how to prepare it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top