User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finnbear, you know not of what you speak.  You've gotten by in Ohio without 4wd because of sand, salt, and plowing.  And likely because ice storms are largely unheard of in the North but frequent in the South.

The problem is complicated and has zero to do with "southerners not knowing how to drive in snow."  First, all the Yankee transplants get out and drive unnecessarily to demonstrate that they're better than everyone else and they wreck.  Second, even in my 4wd truck, loaded with stumps in the bed and 20 years of Massachusetts driving experience, there are plenty of places when untreated that are simply impassable.  So get used to that.  Finally, the roads are clogged with stuck vehicles and emergency services/wreckers are completely overwhelmed.

So yeah, it is a big deal.  And it does separate the few of us who have done *anything* to prepare from the sweeping majority who have not.  Who don't have more than a few ketchup packets in the house to eat because all they do is eat out.  Not to mention water or heat sources.

And, things like this are far more likely to happen than ZombiePocalypseArfcomWetDreamRamboAtLast.  So everybody do yourselves a favor and be sure you're prepped for this - will be a step in the right direction for something bigger.
View Quote

I've lived in NC and FL and spent lots of time in both over the past 30+ years visiting family and friends that still live there. I know exactly of what I speak, I've been there, done that. I live out in the country up here and they don't do shit to our roads about half the time so we drive through snow and ice regularly during the winter months. We don't use sand on our roads here and salt is expensive so it only gets put down sparingly at intersections. We used to use cinders because they were cheap and worked well for traction aid but they are no longer a viable option because they are now considered hazardous waste or some such nonsense. Snow plow trucks are expensive to run as are OT wages, so we usually wait until snowstorms are over to begin plowing. Until the plows come through, we just slow down and be more careful. We have our fair share of dipshits up here who won't slow down in bad weather and they screw up driving for the rest of us whenever they get a chance. It keeps our wrecker drivers, insurance adjusters, and body shops in business.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Ohio drivers have a hard enough time down here driving. I can only imagine winter snowed over roads...........
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
+1

Quoted:

Actually the homeless in my area are constantly targeted for crime.  I personally put a stop to a couple teenagers mugging a homeless woman near a public bathroom while I was working a security gig at the hotel next door.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:"No one mugs a bum."

Actually the homeless in my area are constantly targeted for crime.  I personally put a stop to a couple teenagers mugging a homeless woman near a public bathroom while I was working a security gig at the hotel next door.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"Gray" is looking like everyone else
View Quote

THIS

I bugged out of Houston for Hurricane Rita.  It was not obvious to anyone about the loaded AR-15 with a dozen loaded mags in the seat next to me or the 5 loaded handguns I had on or about my person or that I wore Level IIIA body armor under my shirt.  That didn't count the rifle plates on the floor or the beta mag and another 1000 rounds in the trunk.

You want to blend in.  Avoid all attention. In a fight your biggest advantage is the ability to surprise your adversary(s).  Thousands of years ago Chinese strategists recommended that you should "remain formless."  Do not let your adversaries know you.  Be the greyman

Once I was out of the hurricane danger area, everything was normal, so dressing like a soldier would have really stood out and brought a lot of unwanted attention.

I can tell you from experience that walking around wearing a camo uniform will get you a lot of attention.  And if you aren't a real soldier/marine/etc, prior or current military will notice quickly.  We have a lot of ways to tell
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They dont clear the roads or salt them down there man. A little ice down there combined with folks who have never driven on ice is a bad combo. I was in Dallas for an ice storm once and didn't see a single gravel truck or salt spreader. That makes the roads way worse than a nice clean plowed road with salt on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It always amazes me how southerners regularly completely lose their minds when a little bit of the white stuff comes down. A couple inches of snow is NOT an emergency in any way, shape, or form. You simply need to SLOW DOWN when driving - you'll just get where you're going a little later than usual. It's winter, you should be dressed for cooler weather already. You should be carrying some water and some non-perishable food in your vehicle already, no matter what the season is. 4 wheel drive is NOT necessary, it is a convenience that's nice to have when the weather REALLY turns to shit up here. I lived the first 38 years of my life without 4wd and managed just fine.

They dont clear the roads or salt them down there man. A little ice down there combined with folks who have never driven on ice is a bad combo. I was in Dallas for an ice storm once and didn't see a single gravel truck or salt spreader. That makes the roads way worse than a nice clean plowed road with salt on it.

Dallas is a good example.  I live in Austin which rarely sees snow and ice.  But, when it does ice, it almost completely shuts down our roads.  Our roads and overpasses are designed unlike northern roads; our curves are steep and our highway interchanges have multiple levels that loom above the landscape.  Lots of elevated roadways.  In some cases there are not surface roads to get you home all the way.

I learned to drive as a kid in Omaha.  Driving there during the winter was a breeze.  Here, it is more than treacherous.  What hurts us most are transplant northerners who think they know how to drive in ice on our roads; they are out to prove to the locals how its done.  They are the first in a ditch.  Locals know enough to stay home.  At least most of them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Try driving on this during the next ice storm!

or this:  http://www.texasfreeway.com/austin/photos/austin_ew/images/290_freeway_approaching_stack_29-july-2001_hres.jpg

or even this:
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
+1

Quoted:
Quoted:"No one mugs a bum."

I wasn't implying that you should literally dress as if you were homeless, what I was saying was:

Quoted:

So for me, I try to stay low profile as much as possible. If I can tone it down even a little, kudos to me. A lot of the time, simple little tricks can do wonders. Take your bag. Don't matter which one. Any bag. Is it all bright and shiny? New and clean? Why not just give it a little lovin'? A quick mist of tan Krylon takes my pristine black backpack and makes it look dirty. Or, slap a square of duct tape or two on it, like it started to tear.

....the important point being, your clothes and behavior should not stick out at first glance.  Things that stick out, draw attention.  Drawing attention is bad.  Therefore... whether you wear 5.11 pants or jeans... look as dull, boring, and uninteresting as possible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been doing my best to be the grey man here in post Matthew Savannah.  It's really quite difficult.  We have a fair amount of damage here and many people, including me, still don't have power.  I generally am not concerned if some one sees me with a gun so even when I conceal its not really concealed.  I need a 1.5" belt that works like a pistol belt but looks like a normal belt.  I usually wear a 1.75" riggers belt.  I've been using a regular leather belt.  A weak belt does not help for a good draw or comfort.  Other than that it's shorts or Levi's and a plain tshirts.  What belts do you use?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.guns.com/2015/12/18/holy-hipster-batman-u-s-spec-ops-outed-on-libyan-social-media-4-photos/

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
It's hard to blend in around here while carrying a long gun.  If I thought I could pull it off I would.  Nothing makes me feel more secure than my AR 10.  Libya might be different.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://www.guns.com/2015/12/18/holy-hipster-batman-u-s-spec-ops-outed-on-libyan-social-media-4-photos/

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Holy-hipster-Batman-U.S.-spec-ops-outed-on-Libyan-social-media-2-e1450473636950.jpg
View Quote

Flannel is hipster now?

I wear a 20 year old worn out Flannel each winter/fall with shorts none the less..

Lol

The real grey guys are the ones smart enough to hide 2-3 deep..faces down. And not posing for the camera all smiles.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]
This is easy. Put on your shtf costume of choice and go walk around in public.

Let us know what you find out.

You guys kill me... you guys act as though people are suddenly not going to be people anymore. You are still going to stand out in your multicam and bump helmet. People just don't dress that way unless they are cops, soldiers or wanna be.

Now if it has been years since the apocalypse and you are out of beans and tuna fish and crawling out your bunker. All bets are off and I don't really think anyone will give a fuck what you are wearing or carrying.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You guys kill me... you guys act as though people are suddenly not going to be people anymore. You are still going to stand out in your multicam and bump helmet. People just don't dress that way unless they are cops, soldiers or wanna be.

Now if it has been years since the apocalypse and you are out of beans and tuna fish and crawling out your bunker. All bets are off and I don't really think anyone will give a fuck what you are wearing or carrying.
View Quote

I wore a g17 in a paddle holster wearing board shorts..crocs..and a cotton the shirt..when I had to get it on by chasing off a rather large black bear the first night of the hurricane.

Hat of choice wasn't a bump helmet but a mesh backed. Realtree camouflaged international harvester ball cap...
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wore a g17 in a paddle holster wearing board shorts..crocs..and a cotton the shirt..when I had to get it on by chasing off a rather large black bear the first night of the hurricane.
Hat of choice wasn't a bump helmet but a mesh backed. Realtree camouflaged international harvester ball cap...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:27:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Blaze orange for the win...

But seriously, blend it and look normal for your own AO.  What is normal in my AO can be very different then what's normal in others AO.

In my AO I don't stand out any more wearing OD BDU pants and a realtree patterned vest, vs. the guy wearing jeans and a pocket T...  

A lot of hunters and country folk.  

Now if I drive 100 miles south of my location its going to be totally different.  Camo will stand out just like Chippewa boots would.

This discussion overall is very AO dependent and being adaptive is key.  

All said and done, me personally I don't care what blends in or doesn't, I will wear what is comfortable and works for me.  In most realistic scenarios its not going to make a huge difference as diversity is everywhere anyways.

Multicam uniform is about the only thing I would avoid wearing unless I was part of a large unit all wearing the same  
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The mention of ice in ohio reminds me of a couple of my last years in ohio.

One year I had no power for 4 days and ice had roads shut down most of that time in places.  I lived rural.  Stayed home.  Defrosted the fridge.  Cooler outside with food.  Had no working 4x4 at the time and out of boredom got the fwd vehicle within 30ft of the road.  Neighbor saw I had a strap hooked on it where I left it and pulled me out when he had a chance.  I could have busted up ice or sanded it heavy or done some other stuff, I mostly wanted the vehicle out in case an emergency came up so was in no hurry.

Next year ice storm hit parent's place and sister came down with her pet due to having no power.  Sister's awd suv with road tires could not get over berm the snow plow guy made at the end of the parent's driveway.  It was a snow slush that had frozen.  When I got there to break it up and free up the vehicles and stuff you could walk on the ice and not break through.  I am a big guy, that was weird.

Anyway, awd with mud tires could bust it up and break things up such that sisters awd could not find traction and get out of the way.

Parent's 4x4s, 2 of em, were left out and coated in an inch or 2 of ice.  I defrosted the one with the simpler 4x4 system and it was an older vehicle so I was less concerned if I hurt it.  Took em out to a part of town with power and ate out and got a few things and took them home.  They had power that night as I recall.

Knowing the vehicle and tires and what not helped a ton.  I helped out some people on my parent's private drive and they help out my parents at other times so all is well on that.

Anyway, stock awd with awesome tires did way better than fancy newer awd with big rims and tiny sidewall street rubber.

One thing about this thread, if someone knows what to look for a lot of stuff becomes obvious.  Some folks in the world are oblivious.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly how I picture the superhero known as Florida Man
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Not Grey man:

More Grey man:

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Not drawing attention to yourself is a universal survival strategy.

Some of you guys are over thinking it a bit though. It's not something that you can plan out now, as if you're going to have your SHTF costume picked out in the closet. It'll be situation dependent. For example, if there are riots, maybe you'd want to impersonate a journalist or private security, so you'll be allowed to move freely. If you're evacuating from a storm, you probably don't want to look like someone that has a lot of expensive stuff to steal in their vehicle. If you're running from a wildfire, maybe you want to be dressed like the guys fighting the fire, so police don't force you along the general public evacuation routes. It really depends.
The important skill is going to be flexibility, and the social awareness to know if you're attracting attention.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Have friends aka superior numbers and don't travel through high risk areas....dress become less important
Traveling alone? Blend and speed. Faced with threat? Puff up and appear to be not worth dying over....has a mean gun, but nothing to steal.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top