Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 3:48:32 PM EDT
Anyone here like jungle boots for hiking/walking in spring/summer?

Jungle Boot

I used to have a good pair and am thinking about getting another set, but also have been contemplating a pair of Merrell Moab low profile shoes as a waterproof and lightweight shoe for boonie use and firearms training classes. Any ideas on a good pair of boots that you can pair with a set of wool socks with a liner sock underneath? Doesn't have to be waterproof as a good sock combo goes a long way. For use in winter, I've got an insulated pair of Gore Tex boots that work so just need a second setup for warmer/wetter months that preferably is lightweight.

What are you using?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't trust any of the aftermarket jungle boots; my two pair left from my BDU days are from Wellco and built well.  OTB was a company that made some excellent, newer generation jungle boots.  I bought a pair before they sold out to New Balance, but I'm not sure if they're making them anymore.

Some other options:

Belleville TR900 Jungle Runner

Under Armor Jungle Rat Boots

These are pretty specialized and designed for a lot of use in and around water.  There's a difference between getting wet and being submerged, but to be honest the Merrell Moabs are pretty solid.  I would avoid the waterproof version if you ever expect your shoes to get submerged as they take longer to dry out, but if just regular trail or training wear, they would work well.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The USGI ones are Excellent. They will be stamped - Boots, Hot Weather, Spike Protective, and will have a date in the war era.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a pair of USGI and a pair of OTB Jungle Lites.  They're both awesome in their own ways.

You can find decent deals on new, old stock 1980s manufacture,USGI jungle boots on ebay from time to time.  That's where I got the pair I have.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all! Yes, I definitely want the spike protection ones just because those were what I wore in the 80's. It was all Army ROTC and BDU's and FTX's but those have always been my most favorite pair of boots and never wanted to go with the knock offs. I'll root around on eBay and a few of the other army/navy shops. Thank you!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top