Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 11:41:19 AM EDT
I get to thinking about all the crap going on in the country/world and what might be coming our way.  The gloom and doom mindset takes over and the frustration of knowing that almost all of my family and friends are not seeing this.

I tell my wife that if things go bad these same people will come whining to me saying stuff like "but I didn't know this was going to happen" when, damn it to hell, "I Fricking Told You It Could Happen"!

They keep on doing dumb shit like going on expensive vacations, buying RVs and boats, motorcycles, tattoos, etc.,. That would be fine if they had at least put back enough supplies to get them through a few months of hardship.

I can't help them if they wont help themselves. Did they ask me to go on vacation at their expense, buy me a motorcycle, boat, RV, Tattoo? No

All of my money for the type of stuff that they purchased has gone into making sure my immediate family doesn't have to suffer. That grain mill? That was my tattoo money. (not that I would ever get a tattoo) That huge amount of food, medicines, hygiene items, ammo, etc.,? That was my vacation, jewelry, RV, motorcycle money.

I know I'm ranting to the choir here and I know many of you have had this same feeling.  just venting to my peers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been dealing with the same issues for many years. Some people have come around, most have not. I've given free firearms instruction (with certificate for CCW) to many people, mostly friends and family. Given my son and son-in-law each an AR-15 with ammo, mags, and instructions to come to my place if SHTF.

OP, do what you can, when you can. Don't let it eat you up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have found that my friends and family have much the same mindset as I do regarding preparedness.
The "but the gubmint will take care of me" types I stay away from and otherwise ignore.
You can't fix stupid.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone invited to my BOL and know where it is are GTG.
The rest couldn't find it. My BOL is way out just because of this as I dont want to deal with turning people away.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I surround myself with like minded people. Any family or friends that have made no attempt at preps will be sadly mistaken when they follow through with the (I'll just come to your house) comments.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
We too have not taken a vacation, honeymoon, etc to have the things we feel will help us in a small emergency to a longer term event. Different food types/preps, on hand water and water filtering, personal care/hygiene, enough guns and ammo for us to hunker down, medical supplies, food for the dogs since they would be instrumental in guarding us, the cats just because and communications.

I couldn't get family to even take on one item on that list. We will do fine unless it's the end of the world.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Historically and statistically they are right.

Make sure you have some balance. I use all my vacation every year and try to travel international every 2nd or 3rd year. You can be prepared and have some money left over for recreation. Sometimes I feel like preppers feel like any money "wasted" on temporary enjoyment, travel, toys is on par with buying drugs or a hooker.  Don't spend your life preparing for something and miss out on life when the s doesn't htf
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Make sure you have some balance. I use all my vacation every year and try to travel international every 2nd or 3rd year. You can be prepared and have some money left over for recreation. Sometimes I feel like preppers feel like any money "wasted" on temporary enjoyment, travel, toys is on par with buying drugs or a hooker.  Don't spend your life preparing for something and miss out on life when the s doesn't htf
View Quote

Much truth in this. maintain a balance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this also.  Much like the folks that built a bomb shelter in the 60s and never needed them.

I do however plan to band together with like minded people and not worry about the others.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Just my opinion but better to have it (be it whatever) and not need it than need it and not have it.  Try an interesting experiment sometime:  shut off your power and water for a few days (maybe a week?) and do not 'go to town' (stay away from the store or other such places) and take many notes both on your (and yours) mental state and what you 'should have picked up'.  
It can be an eye opener.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just my opinion but better to have it (be it whatever) and not need it than need it and not have it.  Try an interesting experiment sometime:  shut off your power and water for a few days (maybe a week?) and do not 'go to town' (stay away from the store or other such places) and take many notes both on your (and yours) mental state and what you 'should have picked up'.  
It can be an eye opener.
View Quote

My immediate family; the ones that live in my house, are all on board.  It's the in laws and sisters and nieces and nephews, etc that don't care.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
To a degree a lot of people don't get it.  I have friends that feel others are foolish for ensuring they have supplies on hand for a short term event.  These same friends feel nothing will ever happen and that the government will be there for assistance if something does happen.  It is a sad reality that I have tried and cannot get through to these friends.

On Saturday I was in at our local Walmart.  When we went to check out their system crashed and they could not take credit / dept or cards of any type.  I sat back and watched the customers and it was an interesting experience.  It was literally as the world just ended.  People were angry and irrational because they could not pay for their items with their cards (the store could except cash and checks still) and these same people could not think rationally in any way.  There were ATM machines in the store but these same people could not think of going to the ATM to get cash to pay for their items.

Within 20-30 minutes there were literally 100's of full carts abandoned in the store as people got even angrier and left.  I even overheard people in line saying this is what the first day of end of times will look like (their words).  This reaction made me laugh as these people didn't have a clue between a little inconvenience and a true SFTH event.  It was very interesting and frightening to see how the majority of people will act and how fast rational / common sense thinking goes out the window.  Sadly, most of these people you can never get through too, no matter how hard we may try.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
You can't live in fear and have to enjoy life too.  Living in fear vapor locks the brain and freezes you from taking action.  Enjoy life but build up things while you do.  It's good to be prepared and most of us who live in the hills and are vulnerable to being cut off because of snow do stock up on food in case we can't get out to the store/big city.  Where I live I've been warned of 6 feet of snow in one day.  No one is going anywhere with that much snow.  Then again there are spring floods when the roads get washed out.  Unless you have a bulldozer to rebuild your roads, forget it.

That said, you're spot on about frivolous things. When the lights go out, what do you need that fancy home entertainment system for?  Your generator is needed to power the refrigerator to keep the food from spoiling.  Your speedboat in the driveway won't do squat if you can't buy fuel to drive it to the lake/ocean. Besides, that gas is more important for the log splitter (and if you don't have one, you'd better have some mauls or wedges).  

Best thing is to live among like minded people who will cooperate and help each other out.  In the book, Droughts and Dreams, there are plenty of examples where people just helped each other out during the Great Depression.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Meh.
I gave up caring about what others want to do with their lives.

I moved far enough away..that only liked minded folks would make the effort to show.

We need a good 6-12 days outage here. To many snow flakes out there that need to get a reality check...

Yes you fat bitch...sitting under blankets complaining its hot....makes me dream of fast running zombies taking you down like a leopard going after a gazelle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Since there argument tends to be the gov wont let it happen and will take care of them I have had some luck with people pointing out that FEMA says you need 2 weeks worth of supplies.
I am also okay with them getting RVs so if they do show up at least they have shelter and a place for there stuff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I surround myself with like minded people. Any family or friends that have made no attempt at preps will be sadly mistaken when they follow through with the (I'll just come to your house) comments.
View Quote

same here.

Except I never hear the I'll come to your house comments.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top