Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 7:45:37 AM EDT
That got your attention didn't it? Well, yesterday I was driving down town when I noticed a construction dumpster outside of a former gay bar. Place has sat empty for a  couple of years now, apparently someone bought the place and is remodeling. I could see some 2x4s sticking up so I decided to stop. When I looked over the side of the dumpster it was full of lumber! My son and I spent about 30 minutes pulling stuff out.

We ended up with 16 sheets of 5/8 plywood, half a dozen sheets of 3/4, and over 40 2x4'S of various lengths, a dozen 2x6s and a half a dozen 4x4s. We also found about a dozen steel junction boxes with outlets in them and 4 large extension cords.We spent the rest of the day pulling nails and screws. I estimate we pulled over $500 worth of stuff out of that dumpster and all stuff I can use. Well worth a look!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
$500?
You've got almost $1k in plywood, at least the prices where I live.

Good score.
Making a shed?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]
One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Good dumpster diving on your part.  I'd have done the same.  Be nice to have a chicken coop.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We spent the rest of the day pulling nails and screws.
View Quote

how did you get the gay off
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$500?
You've got almost $1k in plywood, at least the prices where I live.

Good score.
Making a shed?
View Quote

I store up whatever dimensional lumber I can find, always working on some project or another. It's gotten so expensive these last few years to do any home projects.

Right now I have a small shed at a rent house I need to work on. It needs a new door and I'll use some of the plywood to cover the walls---bare studs now. I was raised to be frugal....
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We spent the rest of the day pulling nails and screws.

As I was pulling nails out of one of the 2x4s I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the markings--- Doug Fir Stud, AAA. Lol..
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
spray that crap down with some luminol and prepare for amazement.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That got your attention didn't it? Well, yesterday I was driving down town when I noticed a construction dumpster outside of a former gay bar. Place has sat empty for a  couple of years now, apparently someone bought the place and is remodeling. I could see some 2x4s sticking up so I decided to stop. When I looked over the side of the dumpster it was full of lumber! My son and I spent about 30 minutes pulling stuff out.

We ended up with 16 sheets of 5/8 plywood, half a dozen sheets of 3/4, and over 40 2x4'S of various lengths, a dozen 2x6s and a half a dozen 4x4s. We also found about a dozen steel junction boxes with outlets in them and 4 large extension cords.We spent the rest of the day pulling nails and screws. I estimate we pulled over $500 worth of stuff out of that dumpster and all stuff I can use. Well worth a look!
View Quote

Well, any port in a storm.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]

My neighbor is just finishing up a 40x40 pole barn with 14 foot ceilings that's nothing but free wood with new metal on it.

He spent about 2 years sourcing the wood.  He got the 6x6 posts and the trusses from someone who was ripping down another pole barn at a golf course to make a bigger one.... just had to make some repairs to the trusses.. all the other 2x4's he got out of dumpsters from remods.

this thing looks brand spanking new and so far he's got like 4 grand of his own money in it, between the steel and fasteners.. Maybe 6 grand more to pour concrete and do some electric and he'll be in it for 10k

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Did the bathroom wall separators have a hole in the wood like this?

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/glory_hole_zpsunwibdmq.jpg
View Quote
that's clearly from a negligent discharge.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/glory_hole_zpsunwibdmq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/glory_hole_zpsunwibdmq.jpg</a>
View Quote

Those must have been in the bottom of the dumpster....and no, I didn't look for them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#12]
If you knew where those 2x4's have been.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If wood could talk.

*rimshot*

Seriously
My in-laws built a house recently and I sourced all their cast off lumber/excess that couldn't be returned.

Made a tree house for my daughters and a nice chicken coop. Even shingle paper!
Didn't even have to dive into the dumpster; workers loaded up my truck with my FIL helping me unload it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Stay away from those plywood sheets with circular holes cut -out. I saw those at a peep show in New Orleans. What a filthy stinky place that was...
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
he does

and still wanted them in his life
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
he does  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
he does  

It's not where they have been that's important. It's where they're going.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#17]
This is the best thread currently running on Ar15!
Hilarious!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/glory_hole_zpsunwibdmq.jpg
that's clearly from a negligent discharge.

Did I forget to make a left when I reached GD?

If dumpsters could talk, they would recognize me and every vehicle I have owned!
Great shelving found many times over, used it and or re-purposed it.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Rockyriver1234/media/glory_hole_zpsunwibdmq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/glory_hole_zpsunwibdmq.jpg</a>
View Quote

OMG! LOL, funniest comment and pic I have seen in a long time!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top