Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2016 9:51:16 AM EDT
Today: 4 each 1x4x4' treated boards someone was throwing away and a lead wheelweight.
Yesterday: Several wheelweights, a quarter and a nickel, and a copper fitting.
I have started walking on a daily basis, and this is just the first two days.
To fit in with the forum theme, I am practicing scavenging, and the practice is going well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you elaborate on what you're doing exactly?  Walking the road?  What are you scavenging for exactly?

Seems like a cool exercise though; def would like to hear more.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Years, and I mean years ago I had a 1 mile walk to work from where the bus let me off. Every day for about 6 months I picked up aluminum cans and other scrap metal. Eventually I cashed it all in and bought a matching M96 Swedish Mauser...
For $38 at the local Woolworths...
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you elaborate on what you're doing exactly?  Walking the road?  What are you scavenging for exactly?

Seems like a cool exercise though; def would like to hear more.
View Quote

Just taking a walk along town streets early (before it gets hot) with my dog, and keeping my eyes peeled at intersections for wheelweights for bullet casting. I also keep my eye peeled for tools, change, or anything else that might be valuable.

End use for wheelweights:
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Years, and I mean years ago I had a 1 mile walk to work from where the bus let me off. Every day for about 6 months I picked up aluminum cans and other scrap metal. Eventually I cashed it all in and bought a matching M96 Swedish Mauser...
For $38 at the local Woolworths...
View Quote

That's the way it's done, something for nothing. I check the coin returns on vending machines and coinstars. Three pre-64 silver dimes and lots of other change have I found. You're there anyway. It's not like it's out of your way!
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's an Eastwing hammer I found the other day while driving. It's not  new, but the price is right, Bob!
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Today: 4 each 1x4x4' treated boards someone was throwing away and a lead wheelweight.
To fit in with the forum theme, I am practicing scavenging, and the practice is going well.
View Quote

You sound like the start of a hoarder.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I conserve, you hoard.

Lead hoard:
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I was walking down Hwy 99 north of Yreka,California back in the early 70s and found a 62 lb lead ingot with Perth Amboy stamped on the top.I lugged that thing half a mile home. Wonder what i did with it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
in before... it hadn't been laying there long but now it's lunch
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I draw the line way back from road kill.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
True treasure is not physical but hey, physical loot is good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Living in Houston and driving to work on I-10 I see all kinds of tools on the side of the freeway. I always see them too late for me to stop.
I keep telling myself I'm going to drive around one day and just scavenge stuff from the side of the road.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Spain will soon come to this thread to claim their lost items.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Living in Houston and driving to work on I-10 I see all kinds of tools on the side of the freeway. I always see them too late for me to stop.
I keep telling myself I'm going to drive around one day and just scavenge stuff from the side of the road.
View Quote

Who doesn't like free tools?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
True treasure is not physical but hey, physical loot is good.
View Quote

I agree. I have sort of made a game out of it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Spain will soon come to this thread to claim their lost items.
View Quote

They better pack a lunch!
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Also keep an eye out for the thin metal street sweeper bristles when looking along the road. They are steel and can be used creatively for quite a few things.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a hawk when it comes to spotting bungee cords on the side of the road.  My wife gets so pissed when we stop...
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Are modern wheel weights even suitable for casting bullets anymore? I read somewhere that they contain too much zinc or something? Don't know, that is why I am asking.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are modern wheel weights even suitable for casting bullets anymore? I read somewhere that they contain too much zinc or something? Don't know, that is why I am asking.
View Quote

Some are steel, some are zinc, and some are lead. You have to crimp them with pliers to see how soft they are. The soft ones are lead. Those are the only ones suitable for casting. All are free, and since I was in the neighborhood anyway.....

ETA: Only one ww today, but it was lead, and it was free.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was walking down Hwy 99 north of Yreka,California back in the early 70s and found a 62 lb lead ingot with Perth Amboy stamped on the top.I lugged that thing half a mile home. Wonder what i did with it.
View Quote

That's almost 1900 .45 bullets.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I picked up a 1.5  gal. plastic gas can almost full of chain saw mix fuel from the road side.  Maybe I should have looked a little closer for the chain saw.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I picked up a 1.5  gal. plastic gas can almost full of chain saw mix fuel from the road side.  Maybe I should have looked a little closer for the chain saw.
View Quote

I found a big ol' Husqvarna chain saw in the melted snow at the side of the road many years ago. It had sat there all winter. Cleaned it up and have been using the old dog ever since.  Keep wondering when the thing will die, but it just keeps on running.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Who doesn't like a free Husky chainsaw?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#25]
My best recently while walking is a Snap-on 7/16" combination wrench.

Best find ever was a 1929 silver quarter while walking to the barber.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Today's finds: Several lead wheelweights, 2 flat washers, and two sockets. One of the sockets is a Craftsman that will be exchanged on my next visit to Sears. The pup found some grass burrs, so I had to carry her the last 1/4 mile.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#28]
While driving along the highway one day I noticed a single wide track in the snow running away from the road.  At the end of the tack was a brand new roll of pink fiberglass insulation.  It helps keep me warm now.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#29]
My wife came home the other day with 2 rolls of sod that had fallen off the sod truck.  They're going on our lawn today.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Wheel weights, pocket knives, gas cans, coolers, minnow buckets, life jackets, tarps, bungee cords, hammers, pliers, chains, ratchet straps, 50 lb bag of soybean seed.....the list goes on. ROAD GOLD!!  We make a game of it on road trips. A friend of mine found a Stihl gas blower several weeks ago. Typically Monday is the best day because the convicts from the pen pick up trash on Tuesdays. They get all the good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I stopped for a igloo ice chest several years back. I opened the lid and about shit myself. Inside was a dead coiled up rattle snake. I don't stop for ice chest any longer. Still makes my skin crawl.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm a hawk when it comes to spotting bungee cords on the side of the road.  My wife gets so pissed when we stop...
View Quote

Exactly like my parents.
My father has dozens by now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I stopped for a igloo ice chest several years back. I opened the lid and about shit myself. Inside was a dead coiled up rattle snake. I don't stop for ice chest any longer. Still makes my skin crawl.
View Quote

I found 3 different coolers when I was driving to/from work. A little bleach water and you would have been in business. You also turned down the free hatband or belt. How wasteful! For shame.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I found 3 different coolers when I was driving to/from work. A little bleach water and you would have been in business. You also turned down the free hatband or belt. How wasteful! For shame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll buy my hatbands and belts from the western wear store thank you very much. I'm sure I didn't realize it was dead until 10 or 15 minutes later after I regained my composure many miles away. My dad was in the truck when I pulled over. He said he watched me toss that cooler 15 foot in the air and I near levitated back to the truck at high speed in record time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Shopping carts... especially those 25 cent ones from Aldi.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#36]
The owner of the company I used to work for was notoriously cheap. He rode a bicycle everywhere and frequently picked up tools and other odds and ends. Rumor around the office is that he once was riding along and spotted a pair of underwear beside the road. They were nicer than the ones he had on, so he dropped trou and did the swap right there.

One night after a tradeshow when we'd had a few beers, I got brave enough to ask about the story. -  "Well I didn't put them on right on the roadside ... "

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The owner of the company I used to work for was notoriously cheap. He rode a bicycle everywhere and frequently picked up tools and other odds and ends. Rumor around the office is that he once was riding along and spotted a pair of underwear beside the road. They were nicer than the ones he had on, so he dropped trou and did the swap right there.

One night after a tradeshow when we'd had a few beers, I got brave enough to ask about the story. -  "Well I didn't put them on right on the roadside ... "

View Quote

Some things need to be left right where they are. Underwear would be on that list.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think we've got the working title to a novelty song-"I'm building my fortune, one quarter at a time."
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think we've got the working title to a novelty song-"I'm building my fortune, one quarter at a time."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crappie beds man crappie beds!
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use former Christmas trees down here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Reading this thread is making me regret not stopping on the way to work this evening. Someone had a double stand-type shop light and a couple other things sitting out at the end of the driveway for grabs.

Figured the bulbs would probably be broken or burnt out, etc etc.

But ya, kinda regretting not grabbing that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
You need a scoop on the front of your ride.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Went to a different area today. Cleaned up:
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My wife came home the other day with 2 rolls of sod that had fallen off the sod truck.  They're going on our lawn today.
View Quote

She's a keeper!

BTW- I believe we have certain rules on ARFCOM
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I pick up wheel weights whenever I take a car/truck to the shop for annual inspections, or when I see one while crossing a parking lot.  I've got a couple buckets I need to melt down into "ingots" in my old cupcake pan.  I need to get the "kids" over one Saturday this fall and cast some bullets for the 1911's so they will have at least seen it and might remember it if they ever needed to do the same.

It's amazing what people "lose".

Most of my "scavenging" these days is picking up pistol brass at the range that someone else left on the ground.  I got a nice bag of it a couple weeks ago and a fair sized bag yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Today was tiny tool day:

Faithful Mitzi was flagging, but made it:
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Here's an Eastwing hammer I found the other day while driving. It's not  new, but the price is right, Bob!
<a href="http://s62.photobucket.com/user/MarkypieP/media/001_zpsdl5a2pjc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h98/MarkypieP/001_zpsdl5a2pjc.jpg</a>
View Quote

It is actually Estwing.  I found one of those years ago and still use it.
Snap-On/Sears and many other shit tools.
Steel folding work horse.
Gas Cans.
Eastern Box Turtle.
Scrap Aluminum/Brass/Steel/Stainless. <-- Hardly worth stopping for now.
Commercial landscape garbage cans.
Lawnmowers/Edgers/Weed Whackers.  Some needed work, some needed gas.
Commercial air blower with ServPro on the side.<-- Use it about once a year when we have torrential rainfalls and the corner of the basement gets wet.  
I cannot remember half the shit I have picked up.

A friend of mine found a Yorkshire Terrier without a chip and kept it for years.
This should be a picture thread!

Bill
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was fucking dinner!  I guess the shock of seeing it would be too much for me also.  
As I was reading your post, I thought of Jeffrey Dahlmer!

Bill
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wheel weights, pocket knives, gas cans, coolers, minnow buckets, life jackets, tarps, bungee cords, hammers, pliers, chains, ratchet straps, 50 lb bag of soybean seed.....the list goes on. ROAD GOLD!! We make a game of it on road trips. A friend of mine found a Stihl gas blower several weeks ago. Typically Monday is the best day because the convicts from the pen pick up trash on Tuesdays. They get all the good stuff.
View Quote

I like the term Road Gold but, I consider myself to be a Curbside Connoisseur!

Bill
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
in before... it hadn't been laying there long but now it's lunch
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/FlatSquirrel.jpg
View Quote

not exactly lunch, but you might be able to sell/trade the tail. http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top