Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2016 10:35:42 PM EDT
Reading Bama-shooters post Katrina SHTF thread and he talks about how big a deal flat tires were.  

I hadn't considered that before.  

So, is there a good truck tire rated plug repair kit you can guide me to?

I've got a 12 volt outlet in my pickup and the wife's ride so I could plug in a compressor once I got any hole plugged.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My mechanic (who I trust) tells me that the plug kit to buy is the Blackjack repair kit using the proper Blackjack plugs . According to him these are the Cadillac of field repair plugs when you can't unmount  and mushroom plug the tire. They are self vulcanizing so the plug actually chemically joins the tire instead of needing a glue base.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a metal handled tire plug installer from napa.  I have a plastic handled one around as well, it is kept more for things like lawnmower or atv tires.  These are T handle installers.  I don't like a screw driver handle setup very much.

You kind of want to consider the tires you might mess with.  My wrangler and old half ton ford don't use super tough tires.

Get into some one ton or even better some of the bigger stuff using 19.5 inch rims and you might have a hard time installing a plug by hand.  Heard of people chucking stuff up in a drill to clean up the hole and allow them to manage to plug things.

ARB has some of the common 4x4 off road tire plug stuff to consider, I think it was what most folks recomended in out last thread.

I also recomend reading up on tire repair.  I have not worked as a paid mechanic for a couple decades but I talk to mechanics now and again.  My understanding is that now adays a tire should be patched and plugged.  I think general discussion had a thread a month ago where someone wanted to just plug their tire after a tire repair place told em to replace the tire.

With a lot of the lower profile tires out there you can't always see damage unless you know what to look for.  Dude had the tire taken off the rim I think and inside there was enough damage to say replacing the tire was required.  Turned out wife drove on uninflated tire a fair ways.  But the outside did not look that bad.

I also highly recomend a decent little air compressor you keep in the vehicle.  I am not impressed with ones that run off a cig lighter.  Get one that clips to battery terminals.  I can generally plug a tire if it is easy, or better yet air up the tire and driver it somewhere they can dismount it and patch and plug it as needed and rebalance it all.

But yeah, I got a mess of cheap plugs for keeping around.

After reading up on the plugs linked, I will probably order some plugs in, but not gonna get a whole kit.  already got the tools.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Bought 2 handles like those on ebay for abt $11 each..

The bits are available too..

Some rasp bits can be checked in a drill and makes the repair go a lot faster...

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]

I also highly recomend a decent little air compressor you keep in the vehicle.  I am not impressed with ones that run off a cig lighter.  Get one that clips to battery terminals.  I can generally plug a tire if it is easy, or better yet air up the tire and driver it somewhere they can dismount it and patch and plug it as needed and rebalance it all.
View Quote

I got a Viair 12-volt compressor as my "moving-away" gift to myself; it was the last purchase I made when I left California. It has saved my butt several times! With it and a basic plug kit I've been able to avoid changing a flat on my Escape when I was away from home. This enabled me to run on 4 normal-sized tires till I got to my tire store, which of course fixed/replaced the tire for free!

I've found the plastic air hose to be a PITA, it kinks too easily. I replaced it with a rubber air hose which works well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I got a Viair 12-volt compressor as my "moving-away" gift to myself; it was the last purchase I made when I left California. It has saved my butt several times! With it and a basic plug kit I've been able to avoid changing a flat on my Escape when I was away from home. This enabled me to run on 4 normal-sized tires till I got to my tire store, which of course fixed/replaced the tire for free!

http://cache1.realtruck.com/images/products/viair-portable-power-sport-air-compressor/30033_kit.jpg

I've found the plastic air hose to be a PITA, it kinks too easily. I replaced it with a rubber air hose which works well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://cache1.realtruck.com/images/products/viair-portable-power-sport-air-compressor/30033_kit.jpg

Yep. In the vehicle right now, don't leave home without it...

Or the paintball CO2 cylinders and adapter I always pull out first...

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#7]
In addition to a plug kit I would get a good air compressor. I run this one in my jeep it Airs up my 35s really fast and has been doing it countless times for 4 years. It also runs my air locker. Easy install and it's really small for how good it is.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=16104+9001
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using this one from Northern Tool for years. Nothing fancy but it works and is good quality.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422429_200422429

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a plug kit and good fast Viair compressor and an extension line for it to reach my trailer tires.
Make sure you have some pliers in your kit to pull stuff out of the tire as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
My miata came with a can of slime and a compressor. I added a plug kit. My only experience with plugs is watching my neighbor do one once but it's held for over a year
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#11]
A really long time ago I grabbed a kit from Wally World, much like this one

Over the years, I've used it probably a dozen times.  I had to buy a new box of plugs a while back.

It's cheap, relatively easy to use and it definitely works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Look u the stop and go tire plugger kit. They work really well.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:11:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought some cheapshit tire plug kit from Walmart.

Right now, two of my four vehicles have one of those plugs in a tire.  No issues.  A '16 Wrangler, and an '09 Sierra Denali.  Both vehicles have TPMS, and the two plugged tires are holding pressure just fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#14]
As for the cheap compressors that run off the cigarette lighter: I literally melted one, many years ago. My van got stuck in loose sand and I lowered the pressure to get out; when I ran the compressor to air up both rear tires, it literally melted from overheating! To be fair it was a pretty hot day but still, it shouldn't have happened.

PSA: Those compressors get hot enough to cause at least a 1st degree burn! Take care when handling them! And I mean ALL compressors, not just the cheapo ones.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always carried an arb kit on the trails
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I just grab the generic kits, but having some of extra rubber cement makes me feel better when I plug one.

I think the vaiar is the one people here have raved about and done reviews on...other cigarette lighter junk doesn't cut it.

Bring a can of starter fluid in case the bead needs to be reseated.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A really long time ago I grabbed a kit from Wally World, much like this one https://ll-us-i5.wal.co/asr/c83398ab-758d-4002-b288-723423dc3312_1.de2f2e8f06d58ce1d5afd05ac642a030.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Over the years, I've used it probably a dozen times.  I had to buy a new box of plugs a while back.

View Quote

This is what I have and I can say that it works excellent. The handles are sturdy, the plugs are good. IE, I plugged a tire then put ~20k more miles on it before the end of the tire life was reached and it was replaced. I would MUCH rather have a cheaper, yet effective, plug kit in each vehicle than to have a nice, expensive kit at home.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I got a cheap, maybe $5, repair kit for the suburban, I used it once with no problems other than it took a little elbow grease.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just grab the generic kits, but having some of extra rubber cement makes me feel better when I plug one.

I think the vaiar is the one people here have raved about and done reviews on...other cigarette lighter junk doesn't cut it.

View Quote

PSA to much starter fluid will cause the tire to explode only use a 1 second blast as 3 seconds can hurt you. Ratchet strap around the tire is safer.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't use lube for the plugs.  I use rubber cement (from harbor freight) to lube the plugs.  That way they are double-stuck.

A drill works better than the rasp, but in a pinch, the drill is not usually in my vehicle.

Don't cheap out on the pump.  Buy one with a finned air cooled metal cylinder and no plastic.  Large or high pressure tires will kill a cheap plastic pump.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is the pump I have.  Don't go any cheaper than this.  Put the plugs and tools in the bag with the pump.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I keep valve cores and a valve core tool in my little kit as well. Friends have had them either break or loosen up often enough that they got added to the kit
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A really long time ago I grabbed a kit from Wally World, much like this one https://ll-us-i5.wal.co/asr/c83398ab-758d-4002-b288-723423dc3312_1.de2f2e8f06d58ce1d5afd05ac642a030.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

View Quote

Yep, the W-M plugs are what I use with the fancy handles and probes.

The plastic handles if they break can result in having the probe pierce your wrist

That's why I went on ebay and bought USED metal handles for abt $10 each, they don't look the same [match] and are worn,  so aren't as Tacticool but I don't care

We plug tires frequently due to bad road mountain driving. and being around construction.

Sometimes [mostly anymore] I'll use a cordless drill to ream and prep for the plug

I've noticed as the tread wears down, the need for repair goes up exponentially...

Replacement probes/rasps are available on ebay

Also you can make your own handle easily.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is what I have in my motorcycle and car!  I have heard from many of my biking friends that these tire plugs are likely the most essential thing to have on the motorcycle so I got a set for both the bike and truck.  I have not had to use them yet and I would use the spare for the truck or trailer first but on the motorcycle I don't have a spare so a flat in the middle of nowhere makes this a worthy piece to carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I have in my motorcycle and car!  I have heard from many of my biking friends that these tire plugs are likely the most essential thing to have on the motorcycle so I got a set for both the bike and truck.  I have not had to use them yet and I would use the spare for the truck or trailer first but on the motorcycle I don't have a spare so a flat in the middle of nowhere makes this a worthy piece to carry.

As motorcycles are debris magnets.  I've been riding for 12 years now, many sets of tires, there for a while my joke to the tire guys was to go ahead and drive a nail in the tire as he was mounting it !   I seemed to catch a puncture within the first 100mi of a new tire.

I too use the low cost walmart type/slime plug kit.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't use lube for the plugs.  I use rubber cement (from harbor freight) to lube the plugs.  That way they are double-stuck.

A drill works better than the rasp, but in a pinch, the drill is not usually in my vehicle.

Don't cheap out on the pump.  Buy one with a finned air cooled metal cylinder and no plastic.  Large or high pressure tires will kill a cheap plastic pump.
View Quote

Changing over the end to alligator clips or having an adapter so you can hook directly to your battery is a good idea as well.  I have one pump that pulls too much current for the cigarette lighter and blows the fuse after 30 seconds or so.  Only downside is on some vehicles you can't reach the rear tires this way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Changing over the end to alligator clips or having an adapter so you can hook directly to your battery is a good idea as well.  I have one pump that pulls too much current for the cigarette lighter and blows the fuse after 30 seconds or so.  Only downside is on some vehicles you can't reach the rear tires this way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From the movie RV: "You need another hose"

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

As motorcycles are debris magnets.  I've been riding for 12 years now, many sets of tires, there for a while my joke to the tire guys was to go ahead and drive a nail in the tire as he was mounting it !   I seemed to catch a puncture within the first 100mi of a new tire.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  I have used whatever I could get at Walmart for years in many different tires.  I always keep a set in my Jeep right with the spare tire.  Even plugged co workers tires in the parking lot and sent them off to the gas station to fill it with air.

I have a couple spare motorcycle tubes that have several patches  When I did my last two new tires I was successful at getting fresh tubes in there without a pinch.  I then double and triple checked the old tubes, added a few patches to a couple snake bite punctures and put them back in the boxes for spares.  A properly patched tube is just as good as new tube, they will both take another puncture with valor!  

I don't think its the brand of plug that really matters.  I use the sticky type ones, and usually top it off with a bit of patch glue or cement or whatever they call it...  Not necessary with the sticky plugs but it doesn't hurt.

I think its more important to know how to plug the tire and practice a few times on non important equipment before you need to do it on a road trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJMeW1nOLY
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Two options.  Just make a lightweight set of jumper wires for the length or instead of cutting off the cigarrette lighter end buy an aftermarket one and then add wire and clips to that.

My viar pump barely gets from the battery in my regular cab shortbed f150 to the furthest rear tire.  But it makes it so I have not done anything.

If I had to help someone out and did not want to move my vehicle, I would use jumper cables as the extension.  Overkill, but they are in the vehicle.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Two options.  Just make a lightweight set of jumper wires for the length or instead of cutting off the cigarrette lighter end buy an aftermarket one and then add wire and clips to that.

My viar pump barely gets from the battery in my regular cab shortbed f150 to the furthest rear tire.  But it makes it so I have not done anything.

If I had to help someone out and did not want to move my vehicle, I would use jumper cables as the extension.  Overkill, but they are in the vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Using the full sized jumper cables as an extension cable, is a very practical idea...

Cigar plugs, replace them with clips...Too much overall losses...

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I own this one that pulgs and patches tires.  Permanent fix.

Youtube Video how-to

This kit has a small tube and large tube.  The small tube is worthless; throw it out.  The large tube required about 1/4" to be ground down in order for the mushroom plugs to properly deploy inside the tire.  

Once I did some tweaking on the thing it has been an excellent kit.  It's effectively a proper patch and plug in one.  The galvanizing glue in the kit makes it a permanent bond.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:56:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, question here: Longer hose, or longer DC cord? IMO it's better to get the power to the pump and have control of the pump at every tire, than to leave the pump at the battery and swing a long hose all over the place.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Those Wal Mart type of kits work perfectly well in my experience.  I had one plug that leaked, from the get-go, so I just replaced it.  That is the only plug I have ever had fail and I've used a few.  Extra rubber cement is key, use plenty.  I run out of cement before plugs.

Any plug kit is better than no kit.  A can of fix a flat is also a great idea.

I have the tsunami compressor from pepboys, it works very well. There are others like it, made in the same Chinese factory under different labels.

Unlike plug kits, there are more bad compressors out there than good ones.  As stated avove, forget the ones that plug into a lighter.  Not enough power for the job.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Ha.  I'm an idiot.  I bought a longer hose never even thinking that a longer cord would be smarter easier cheaper lighter ....

Oh well.  Now I will have both.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Okay, question here: Longer hose, or longer DC cord? IMO it's better to get the power to the pump and have control of the pump at every tire, than to leave the pump at the battery and swing a long hose all over the place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both but I think hose is the correct answer as the long cord gets very hot.
My old truck had a plug in the bed that was nice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

PSA to much starter fluid will cause the tire to explode only use a 1 second blast as 3 seconds can hurt you. Ratchet strap around the tire is safer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^Agreed^^^

starter fluid should be last resort. A nice rachet strap will set a bead fairly quick when wrapped around circumference. I have both of the first two kits listed, black jack and safety seal, both work good. I have a kit in each truck we have for work and a pieced together one in our Jeep and car.

WSS
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#38]
The best thing to do is know how to use the kit. I have put 8 plugs in a tractor tire to fill a big hole still holding over 300 acres cut on the state right of way. And we cut some bad places like here it was very steep and he found a hole and tractor with the plugged tire had just been thought before him and it held the pressure. So just remember in a bad situation improvise might save you.

I perfer the pull though tips but most don't know how to break a tire down.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Hose vs cord:

Long runs of power cause heat. Doesn't really matter how long your aiir hose is.

You need another hose.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep, the W-M plugs are what I use with the fancy handles and probes. The plastic handles if they break can result in having the probe pierce your wrist....

...Sometimes [mostly anymore] I'll use a cordless drill to ream and prep for the plug

View Quote

Good point. Last time I used one (on a standard, smaller SUV tire) the plastic handle broke. I didn't realize they made metal handles, but now that I do I will be on the lookout.

Also, the cordless drill is a GREAT aid in this. Not only for when it is a screw instead of a nail that you can just pull out, but also to ream as mentioned above.
On long trips, I've starting taking my drill and bits just in case.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I've plugged hundreds of tires. I would recommend one of the stronger metal plug kits. I have seen people break the plastic handles on some before. I would also recommend the larger air compressor. While your 12v plug into the cig lighter one will work, the larger ones will work faster.

Another thing I keep in my vehicle is spare fuses. There has been times where ive blown fuses with the cheap 12v plug in compressors. Harbor freight or amazon fuses are cheap insurance to keep in a vehicle.

I don't know if it matters to much, but I always put rubber cement on the plug before I put it in. I've had a few plugs on my own vehicles go 30k+.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I use the Safety Seal kit , I am not a fan of plastic handles
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've been using this one from Northern Tool for years. Nothing fancy but it works and is good quality.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422429_200422429

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/700x700/608/608450_1_700x700.jpg
View Quote

Thanks to this thread I ordered and just received the kit from Northern Tool.   It appears to be of very good quality.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#44]

I have this exact one. Made in Massachusetts, and built very sturdy. As to the people saying "the walmart one is good enough", try plugging a 10 ply tire with it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Just plugged a nail hole in my silverado this morning.  Used the deluxe tire slime kit and extra rubber cement.  Holding strong at 55 lbs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top