Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2016 2:48:53 PM EDT
Son #1 is putting together his emergency kit for a Boy scout requirement.
Looking for a recommendation, and source for a decent quality wool blanket for his kit.
Decent quality without breaking the bank, son #2 will be doing this next year, so I'll order a couple.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a couple at http://www.canteenshop.com/shelter.html (scroll to the bottom) while I was looking at canteen cook kits.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the "European" style wool blanket from Rothco and like it. Well the worth 20 bucks I paid.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

What makes a blanket "European" other than country of origin???
Are any of these actually comfortable?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you looking for a quality blanket or one that is just good enough to be the job done?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for a quality blanket or one that is just good enough to be the job done?
View Quote

YES!

Probably one that gets the job done and is comforting in an emergency.

ETA: The Sportmens Guide ones look like burlap bags!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if old grouch still has em but I have several from there.

I bought one or two pretty much perfect ones and then when I saw he had blems I ordered several blems.

I thought I had 3 or so.

Last winter in cleaning and organizing and going through stuff I have at least 5 of the blems around and use them as extras around the house.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Harbor freight sells one 60x80 for $11 that's great.  They are dark grey and kind of stink from the lanolin at first, but they air out quick enough.  We have half a dozen.  My kids love them in the winter because they're super warm.  I keep one in the car during cold weather.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a wool Italian Army Surplus blanket that your son can have if it is for Boy Scouts.

Send me your info. I would be happy to mail it to him if he still needs it.

All I ask is that he upholds the Scout Oath and takes it seriously.

If you look them up, there are good quality blankets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a bunch from cheaperthandirt.com and I've used them for years...warm and soft and cheap...buy extras
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought one of these when I picked up my Swiss hatchet.

For $9.97 I doubt you could find better.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Harbor freight sells one 60x80 for $11 that's great.  They are dark grey and kind of stink from the lanolin at first, but they air out quick enough.  We have half a dozen.  My kids love them in the winter because they're super warm.  I keep one in the car during cold weather.
View Quote

+1

I have a few and these aren't actually bad as far as budget wool blankets go.  You aren't going to be doing any winter camping with these but they do what the average guy, prepper, bushcrafter etc needs.

I spend much time bushcrafting, playing in the woods, and love the idea of wool blanket camping and survival, but the truth of the matter is a good sleeping bag will do much more this day in age.

Wool blankets are one of those things you start searching the net, and thinking you need the best or greatest, and end up spending more money on it then really required for actual usage.  I think I have used mine once or twice because I work so damn much I have a hard time finding a night to spend in the woods

So in short, the harbor freight blanket will do what most need...  When the temps dip to cold for that its time for me to use a sleeping bag any ways.  

Unless your trying to be the trendiest bushcrafter in camp? Because the budget stuff just plain works.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-x-80-inch-wool-blanket-92625.html

I originally ordered one with hesitation but when I got it, it surpassed my expectations so I ordered a couple more.  They are actually pretty heavy, and out weight all my sleeping bags except my old canvas/ cotton hand-me-down sleeping bag.

While I don't think I would use it as my primary comforter they will work find for emergency use, camping trips, bushcraft, emergency vehicle use, etc.

When it gets dirty, or a rogue ember snuffles out on it you won't feel bad.  

I live in a cold climate, for many months a year our temps are well below freezing so YMMV.  For me a wool blanket is spring summer fall usage item.  If your using a wool blanket in the winter its probably best to be inside
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Old Grouch Israeli wool blankets:

$13 each

Grade II Israeli Wool Blankets $10 each

Old Grouch owner is a member here on ARfcom and is GTG.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys.
Placed an order with old grouch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.
Placed an order with old grouch.
View Quote

I think I will in the near future. Thanks from me as well

OST
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked up a Bulgarian wool blanket for fleet farm for $29.99 ( now @ $23.96).

Minor issue with storage smell but after a couple of days in the garage it's good to go.

Very nice wool and weighting in at 4lbs I'm quite happy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-40864295455031/israeli-military-wool-blankets-3.gif

$13 each

Good luck!
View Quote

I vouch for that. Ordered some web gear. They left the canteens out by mistake. Sent them to my door in less than two days.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget a woobie.

I've got plenty of both wool and woobies.

Definitely prefer the woobie.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:27:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-40864295455031/israeli-military-wool-blankets-3.gif

$13 each

Good luck!

View Quote

The code LB1t gets your 15% off for this Labor Day weekend.  Grouch is a good guy, ordered from him several times.

Eta, code is LB15.  Can't type apparently
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I've spent this weekend sleeping in a hammock with my Hudsons Bay wool Points blanket. I have a quilted emergency blanket on the bottom, I lay in my down mummy bag on top of that, and I leave the bag unzipped with the wool blanket on top to cover me up. Not a set up you're going to carry anywhere, but great for car camping and I've been toasty and comfortable as it gets into the low 50s by morning here on the Lake Huron shore.

The Huson Bay blanket is my everyday blanket at home. It's been in the family for decades so price wasn't a concern. I'd love to get another.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a few Salvation Army freebees from Hurricane Sandy, and never used them.  I also have some of their yellow Emergency Blanket's sealed in plastic, also never used.  

Get in touch with them to see what they will do for scouting.  They may offer you something if you talk to the right person.
Have your son come up with an idea for community service and see if they will support his project.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top