Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2016 11:26:26 AM EDT
I have a short "survival" class to teach some girl scouts.  Probably a dozen or so girls ages 12-14.  The class will be 5 or so hours.  This will probably be more of a basic (very basic) bushcraft class.

I'm looking for suggestions to present at the class.  Keep in mind these are kids who's idea of roughing it is an outhouse and a cabin without internet access.  Literally one of the big questions they have is "how do you pee in the woods?"  

So, besides basic sanitation, I think I'll do a bag dump of my pack with camping gear for different seasons, and how to fit a frame pack to you.  What I carry in my hunting day pack, and survival kit.  Basic improvised shelters (maybe build a debris shelter).  I might do a fire with a fire drill, show them how and where to set up camp, dangers of hypothermia, what to do if lost, and some simple camping tricks like splitting wood by batoning, bank a fire, a couple of knots.

I did a basic land nav. course and fire building course with them in the past, so I won't do much with that in this class.

Any ideas appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you may be thinking a little too "Class" based for this.  They may have some trouble paying attention if all you're doing is talking at them.  I taught a class (2hr) in a similar fashion to some Army Cadets last summer.  My format was basically to take a walk through the woods and stop at different "stations" where I'd stop, talk briefly, show them a premade example (shelter) or demonstration (fire) and then set them loose for 20-30min to practice it for themselves.  Obviously you may want to tailor content for them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Basics, basics, basics.

Very important: DO NOT OVER-LOAD THEM.

I would skip dumping the pack and showing all the contents. It will be bla/bla/bla to them.

Perhaps introduce some decent (free) apps for their phones that have maps or something. Also explain to them how to maximize cell phone battery life.

I would skip primitive fire, but show how to get a fire going with a lighter and matches (I know, but they probably don't know how). Show them tinder: both wild and things like pocket lint. Maybe bring along some fire steel.

Debris shelter is good.

Basic orientation in the woods, basic woods straight line navigation. Stop and listen for traffic of a nearby road. Explain that next to a river in a valley is a bad place for camp: flash floods and all.

Try and make it cool and fun. If it is dry, you will loose them.

Oh, are they willing participants? As in do they WANT to get survival training? Makes things easier, and easier to go in depth if they are. If not, try to drill in some basic ideas to help them not die while signaling for rescue.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you may be thinking a little too "Class" based for this.  They may have some trouble paying attention if all you're doing is talking at them.  I taught a class (2hr) in a similar fashion to some Army Cadets last summer.  My format was basically to take a walk through the woods and stop at different "stations" where I'd stop, talk briefly, show them a premade example (shelter) or demonstration (fire) and then set them loose for 20-30min to practice it for themselves.  Obviously you may want to tailor content for them.
View Quote

This will be an outdoor, hands-on class.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just mean (like the other guy said) that doing a show-and-tell of your gear will not keep their attention.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Basics, basics, basics.

Very important: DO NOT OVER-LOAD THEM.

I would skip dumping the pack and showing all the contents. It will be bla/bla/bla to them.

Perhaps introduce some decent (free) apps for their phones that have maps or something. Also explain to them how to maximize cell phone battery life.

I would skip primitive fire, but show how to get a fire going with a lighter and matches (I know, but they probably don't know how). Show them tinder: both wild and things like pocket lint. Maybe bring along some fire steel.

Debris shelter is good.

Basic orientation in the woods, basic woods straight line navigation. Stop and listen for traffic of a nearby road. Explain that next to a river in a valley is a bad place for camp: flash floods and all.

Try and make it cool and fun. If it is dry, you will loose them.

Oh, are they willing participants? As in do they WANT to get survival training? Makes things easier, and easier to go in depth if they are. If not, try to drill in some basic ideas to help them not die while signaling for rescue.
View Quote

These are good recommendations, as well as the one above about having some stations to stop at.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thinking about this more, I figured i'd write down for some actual topics to cover.  Trying to balance fun with content.  Sometimes the most boring stuff is the most important.

-Shelter- already mentioned but one of the most fun and important things to do in the woods.

-Food- wild plants and other things.  You can do fun stuff like berries and leeks and boiling water, and also gross stuff like grubs.  Being able to eat gross stuff is a helpful skill.  If the parents don't want them eating stuff they find in the woods, you could challenge them to go to each bring their own store-bought "gross" food.  (oysters, anchovies, sardines, etc) and have a fun, buffet type game of who can eat the grossest stuff.  It was a blast when I did it, but may be more of a boy thing.

-Fire- Fire is always fun and always needs practice.  If you did it with them before, maybe show them different types.  Long fire, upside down fire, dakota fire hole, etc.  Getting them more time to practice is always good.

-You mentioned land nav, but how about movement techniques?  Like safely crossing a stream/river, going up and down steep ravines, how to move through a thicket, etc.

-Signalling-  Demo a signal fire and have them build one too.  Have the group separate and signal each other from a long distance with mirrors, whistles, fires, etc.

-Traps-  Snares, deadfalls, and other mechanisms always drew my attention as a kid.  Seeing and building the different mechanisms was always really cool.

-Camp setup-  How to place your shelter in relation to water sources,  heating fire, cooking fire, sanitation, working area, bear/critter avoidance techniques

-Knife work- Basics like to cut away from you, batoning, how to break wood without a knife, etc.

Just a few ideas that could be fun.  Curious to see what others come up with.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
OP
don't forget some modern street survival..real world shit they may need in their young life
how to use a fire extinguisher
change a tire, check their oil, radiator, wiper fluid etc...
DO NOT give out your address or phone number randomly
DO NOT get intoxicated unless you've a designated driver
DO NOT go home with any swingin dick that looks cute..more than a few serial killer were REALLY Cute and normal.B
DO be very careful what you post on the internet and that PICTURES NEVER GO AWAY once posted
DO drive to the nearest police station if they feel they're being followed
DO learn to shoot a gun for self defense or at a minimum lean to use Bear Spray.
DO call 911 and DO NOT go into a house or apartment they perceive broken in to..
and have some Self Respect regrardless of what your "Feels" are...you're a perfectly fine human being regardless of
your weight, hair type or color, what you do isn't who you are and never feel someone is "better"  than you, we all poop,
they learned that in kindergarten..

etc etc etc
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OP

don't forget some modern street survival..real world shit they may need in their young life

how to use a fire extinguisher

change a tire, check their oil, radiator, wiper fluid etc...

DO NOT give out your address or phone number randomly

DO NOT get intoxicated unless you've a designated driver

DO NOT go home with any swingin dick that looks cute..more than a few serial killer were REALLY Cute and normal.B

DO be very careful what you post on the internet and that PICTURES NEVER GO AWAY once posted

DO drive to the nearest police station if they feel they're being followed

DO learn to shoot a gun for self defense or at a minimum lean to use Bear Spray.

DO call 911 and DO NOT go into a house or apartment they perceive broken in to..

and have some Self Respect regrardless of what your "Feels" are...you're a perfectly fine human being regardless of

your weight, hair type or color, what you do isn't who you are and never feel someone is "better"  than you, we all poop,

they learned that in kindergarten..

etc etc etc
View Quote
You had to go and make it weird

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Great posts so far.

Generally:

When teaching, I find an outline beneficial. Keeps me from drifting or forgetting stuff. If you're not used to teaching, it REALLY helps. I've taught for years and I still do much better with an outline rather than wing it.

Keep it as simple/plain/understandable as possible.

Keep it as hands on as possible. Participation is HUGE.

Keep it as useful-to- them as possible. Bow drill fire is fun as hell but the chances of them ever using it is nil compared to other skills which could occupy that time.

Keep it as interesting as possible. A joke here. A story there. 5 hours is a lot of time.

Content:

A segment on first aid for real trauma. (more than the "how to sling an arm or put on a bandaid")

A segment on the rule of 3 and how to address each one in different situations. This is where building shelter, improvising rain gear from trash bags, scavenging insulation, etc goes. Along with treating water. How to build a quality/useful fire.

What to do when lost. STOP Stop Think Observe Plan and all that goes with different Lost scenarios.

A segment about situational awareness both on the street and online. How to avoid predators. How to stand up for yourself and not appear to be prey. Roll play the parts. Get their adrenalin going. Take them out of their comfort zone. These are survival skills every bit as much as knowing how to stay warm, dry and hydrated.

I don't think demonstrating the contents of a decent day pack would be a bad idea. Also, a brief discussion about what they should carry in their vehicle when they start driving.

Some printed materials they can take with them is always nice. Checklists, fire/shelter techniques, etc
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
12 or 14 years old ???
Get a picture of Justin Bieber and hang it up in the class and talk about his next world tour concert.
They will be crying when the class is over and wanting to stay to talk about him more.
LOL
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#11]
1) Shelter

Debris hut.
Snow caves.

2) Water

gathering techniques
make shift filters

3) fire making

flint 'n steel
fire bow

4) Edible plants

Thistle
grasses (not moldy though)
sorrel
inner bark of pine, juniper, for flour and pine neddles (tea)
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
if there is enough supervision & adequate facilities - the "who can build a fire and boil a can full of water" competition is a great way to end these sorts of things. I wouldn't turn a bunch of kids loose with hatchets, knives, and fire starting kits without at least a couple adults standing by to prevent really heinous accidents though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Get each of them one of those orange whistles with a compass on a lanyard and have them roll up a picture of their current teen idol with their address and parent's phone number on the back.  Tell them they have to wear it whenever they go for a walk.  Teach them how to use the compass, and what to do when they get lost in the woods.  Give them each a random test of something like 20 paces N, 10 paces E, 10 paces S, 10 paces W, 10 paces S in a big field so they know how to use the compass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies.

Here is what I submitted to the person heading up scout camp.

Camping gear show and tell, what I carry in a wilderness survival kit.  If there is interest, one of the weekly scout meetings will involve the kids building their own kit.

Rule of 3's including preventing hypothermia.  This will bridge into...

Improvised shelter-I talk, kids build a debris shelter.

Water purification using chemicals, filters, and boiling.  I may bring a filter and let them pump some water out of the canal.

Building a fire drill, let them make a fire with one.  (we've done fire building in the past with flint & steel).

Signaling for help and what to do when lost.

Field sanitation.

We will also be going on a hike, raspberries and mulberries should be ripe that time of year.  Time permitting I may show them how to set up a trot line, fish traps, and use a seining net.  Camp is held next to a large canal and it will be an excuse to get into the water when its 90+ degrees out.

Also plan on working some talk about real life preparedness in throughout the day.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I would try to add in some archery, and maybe show a improvised PVC bow or something similar
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is some good advice.

They are in no way going to want to listen to you talk. They are going to block you out soon after it starts.

The best thing you can do is throw out a few short demos scattered throughout the day.

They will benefit more remembering a few minutes of something they listened to than a whole lot that they didn't listen to.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have pairs of them build one of each of the several different types of solar compass.  Most take some time for the shadow to move so build at the beginning and check and determine direction at the end.
Have them pair up and set snares.  Drag a weighted 20 oz soda bottle or something through them to set them off and see how they work.
Have them build some bonfires using the previous skills.
Catch a fish.  Have them find some worms bugs and grubs under logs.  Trim a few small saplings, tie on some monofilament and a hook or jig, bait it, and catch some bluegill.  Roast fish over fire.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you ever do the 'Stranded on the Moon' team building/icebreaker exercise? I found an example here:

http://insight.typepad.co.uk/insight/2009/02/moon-landing-a-team-building-game.html

It asks you to rank 15 items on importance if you were stranded on the moon. Everyone ranks them individually, then does it again in small groups. In general the small group does better than the individual because each person brings new insight.

This might be a cool way to get them thinking about what to have, and what might be useful and why. Just change it to 'Stranded in the Woods' and make the materials appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Drop them all off in uniform at an over eaters anonymous class without any cookies. If they survive that they deserve a badge.

Seriously though I would teach basic firebuilding (log cabin and teepee using batoned kindling)

Teach them to put mud on a bee sting

Teach signalling with mirrors

Just basic stuff. Dont go all Bear Grill'us on them. Just teach them stuff that if your daughter were lost in the woods, would help her get out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a short "survival" class to teach some girl scouts.  Probably a dozen or so girls ages 12-14.  The class will be 5 or so hours.  This will probably be more of a basic (very basic) bushcraft class.

I'm looking for suggestions to present at the class.  Keep in mind these are kids who's idea of roughing it is an outhouse and a cabin without internet access.  Literally one of the big questions they have is "how do you pee in the woods?"  

So, besides basic sanitation, I think I'll do a bag dump of my pack with camping gear for different seasons, and how to fit a frame pack to you.  What I carry in my hunting day pack, and survival kit.  Basic improvised shelters (maybe build a debris shelter).  I might do a fire with a fire drill, show them how and where to set up camp, dangers of hypothermia, what to do if lost, and some simple camping tricks like splitting wood by batoning, bank a fire, a couple of knots.

I did a basic land nav. course and fire building course with them in the past, so I won't do much with that in this class.

Any ideas appreciated.
View Quote

You may not have time for this, but this is what I did with my oldest two boys (ages 10 and 7 at the time). One Saturday, while they were playing Minecraft, I came in and said, "Y'all turn that off, put some shoes on and come with me. I need your help with something." So they did that. Then I had them follow me into the woods. We walked a mile and half into the woods. After a while the younger of the two started complaining about being thirsty and tired. One the way back we stopped at a creek so they could rest and goof off a little. Then I asked them, "How much better would you feel right now if you had brought water with you? What about something to eat? What if we were 10 miles from home instead of one? What if we were going to have to spend the night out here? What kind of things would you want with you?" I just wanted to get them thinking and have them figure this stuff out. I got them each a back pack and a nice flashlight not long after that. Then I helped them put together a small first aid kit to add to it. They have water and some food in those bags all the time. When I took the oldest rabbit hunting, he grabbed his bag to bring with him "just in case." He did that on his own.

Point is getting them figuring this stuff out on their own as much as possible. When you show them knots be sure to show them why you use certain knots and what the application is for them. I blew some cub scouts minds when I showed them how to lash and make a tripod.

From my experience teaching kids is way more rewarding than teaching adults.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top