Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2016 2:38:20 PM EDT
Link

In the wardens’ file, which totals 1,579 pages, authorities said they believed that Largay went off the trail to use the bathroom and couldn’t find her way back. The site is densely wooded and in an area so remote it’s used by the Navy for survival and evasion training.

The file also says wardens found evidence that Largay attempted to text her husband after becoming lost, but the crucial texts were not delivered because of poor cell reception.

In a text sent at 11:01 a.m. on July 22, 2013, Largay said, “In somm trouble. Got off trail to go to br. Now lost. Can u call AMC to c if a trail maintainer can help me. Somewhere north of woods road. XOX.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow... sounds like if she would have just continued to try to work her way out she may have found her way out of there and lived, but she did the very thing we've all been trained to do, when you realize you're lost, quit moving around and let the searchers find you... unfortunately it sounds like the search for her was given up too soon and she perished waiting on a rescue that would never come...

What a shame...

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to pick on the searchers, it's all a game of making guesses and judgment calls based on the information they have at the time; I'm not second-guessing them. Just a shame that it seems she waited for a rescue that would never come...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
When I read her story it just sounded horrible.  I cant pretend to know what she went through.  Its jsut amazing she was only off the trail by 1.5 miles and with a map.  I wonder id the full report will show what she attempted to do to be found.  

I wonder what I would do.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
When I hike now, I usually take an off-line GPS enabled map of the trail on my phone - for this very reason.

Maplets
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I hike now, I usually take an off-line GPS enabled map of the trail on my phone - for this very reason.

Maplets
View Quote

That requires using a cellphone. Batteries die pretty quickly on these new devices.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Maplets
View Quote

Or something like DeLorme InReach if you know you are going somewhere where cell service is likely to be spotty.

Satellite texting for about $380 plus $15/month - I think you can turn service off in months when you aren't going to need it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
How do you get that far off the most well marked trail in the country?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Very sad.

I hate to Monday morning QB the situation, but 26 days? Doesn't sound like she belonged out her by herself.

Play stupid games...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

And well-traveled...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When I read her story it just sounded horrible.  I cant pretend to know what she went through.  Its jsut amazing she was only off the trail by 1.5 miles and with a map.  I wonder id the full report will show what she attempted to do to be found.  

View Quote

For one, I hope you wouldn't stray 1.5 miles off the trail to piss/poop.

Back in the 1970s people used to through hike the AT completely naked... No one gives a fuck if they see you taking a bathroom break.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That requires using a cellphone. Batteries die pretty quickly on these new devices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maplets

When I go off trail I use my 6s plus (also have a standard gps for back up).  I turn off all apps, turn off location services for all but gps, turn off all notifications, and turn off all updates.  Using a lower screen brightness.

Using Galileo Pro I get about 10 days of battery using the phone for GPS, maps and pictures.

I will be honest its by far the best gps device I have ever used.  Big touch screen, colorful, easy to naviagte, easy to take notes etc.  I can even keep pdf copies of USGS maps if I am worroed about losing gps signal under demae canopies.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
L
Quoted:
The vast majority of people who die in the wilderness die waiting and hoping for rescue.  

Rescue if a fine thing, a good thing but what its not is something you can depend on.  Three weeks in a straight line, any straight line, a person can cross the entire state of Maine.  The trick is that straight line and if you are incapable of that, you went into the wilderness totally unpreparred.  Now entire threads are dedicated to how to do that straight line but for now let's just say knowledge is critical.  The old schools use to say "All water moves to the oceans, follow the water."  What that means to rescue is depend on signaling methods that work on the move, mirrors, whistles, etc.  

I do not wonder what I would do.  I've been lost many times, more times than I can count. I've never been rescued.  Been more than a few times, it damn sure would have been nice.  It starts with an attitude.  You aren't lost, you know right where you are, its you don't know how to get where you are going.   The keyword is going.  Once you stop, that's it, you just gave up any control you have over the situation.  Hugging trees is for kids and amber alerts.  Parents are never far from kids.  Rescues are not magic.  They have limitations and the biggest is where to start.  

I live on the southern end of the Applachian Train is actually some of the worst terrain through national park and national forest so largest areas of wilderness.  What I can tell you is most people that have to be rescued, by far, misjudge the weather.  Second is those who think all they have to do is follow the path.  Injury is actually way down on the list.  What all those lost that are rescued had in common is they had a plan, somebody knew where they were suppose to be, and they didn't check in.  This is basic woods 101 stuff.  Hell, when I ride my motorcycle in the mountains, I do the same thing.  You can be 10' from the road and they aren't going to find you.  (We had a guy die like that here just last year.  Feet from the road on a wrecked bike, he wasn't found for days (dead as a door nail).  Nobody was looking for him until someone stumbled over his body.  

A big problem we have these days is a dependence on government to rescue us and its just not in the woods either.  It was no surprise to me what my two great-nephews did one time.  

"Tj Story Time"  911 Help.

My niece was a welfare mom.  She spent much of her life totally dependent on the government for her survival.  This entitlement/dependence mentality she totally passed down to her kids.  What outdoors experience they had they actually got from me but living 4.5 hours away and no real priority on my nieces part, was very little.  Many of the guys here on the forum met them.  I took them to one of our ATV camps one year.  They live in the house, I grew up in.  The house is in the city on a wooded hill.  Either side of the hill is a street and houses.  

One day, they decided to go into the woods (a woods btw I almost lived in as a kid).  They got lost so they sat down and called 911.  The police searched the woods, two cops actually, and found rescued them.  Here's the catch.  All they had to was walk downhill ANYWHERE they were and 100' later, they would have been on the streets.  They only needed two cops because it is a very small wood.  

Now this is a funny story involving two idiot kids but the moral of the story runs deep.  Depending on someone else for your survival is like buying into the anti-gun argument.  Time is always a factor and guess wrong, you are dead.

This is why we have this forum.  Its so we can learn because what kills us most of the time ultimately is a lack of knowledge and bad decisions.

Tj
View Quote

Thanks for the insight TJ.  I have never truly been lost to be honest.  I know the basic rules especially living here in the desert.  Interesting perspective you point out being able to walk across some states in 3 weeks.  Ie if you have the resources like water you can likely just walk your way out of being lost.

Edit:  just found this, looks like she was near some roads as well.  Roads and the trail in nearly all directions.

Here is the full report, interesting to read about the location and the wardens got out by walking downhill for 20 min to a road.
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/25/report-geraldine-largay-kept-journal-during-weeks-lost-in-maine-woods/document/
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maplets

Quite right of course - and if used as sole method of navigation security, one can get into real trouble.  But in this case, it would have easily saved her life (since she had power to attempt to text).
As others mention, a little attention to battery saving practices while on trail, can extend battery life considerably.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Sad way to die.  I got lost once when I was a young Boy Scout on a hike; never again.  I'm old school and always carry a compass and paper map when I leave the auto.  (Along with a crap load of other stuff!)  I may not know exactly where I'm at, but I know how to get to "somewhere".
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And well-traveled...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And well-traveled...

There's a friggin' white blaze on nearly every tree on the trail.

Go off the trail to pee.
Travel in one direction for 5 minutes to return, don't find the trail, turn 180° and travel 10 minutes.

One or two trees past the trail is as far as you need to go to pee or shit.
This story smells.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]
So I was kind of in this situation and only of the trail about half a mile. I was too injuried to move even though I knew roughly where I needed to go I couldn't physically get there between my I furies from the fall and the terrain I would have had to cross. Helicopters flew over my tent and signals for three days before one saw me. It's pretty easy to not be found by professional, equipped and dedicated searchers even very close to a trail.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#17]
People have lost tract that mother nature needs to eat as well.

Shit happens.....but far to many ignore the fact that the outdoors are not a cubicle....and don't adjust accordingly.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Unfortunate story.  Sounds like if she would have kept walking downhill she would have found water & eventually people.

ETA:  Just read the article; 66 years old and hiking alone with a bad back.  I'm half that age and don't make a habit of going into the woods alone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Alone.

Heavy woods i suppose limited terain feature ID.

Again, that far off the trail for piss?

Shit that smells fishy by me too
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This report tells what she did.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Alone.

View Quote

I don't know, perhaps she went 50 yards off to pinch an loaf. Got turned around and started hiking in the wrong direction. Now she's 150 yards off in what looks like steep, dense terrain. Spends the rest of the day getting lost further in the bush. Makes camp, rain storm the next day and Robert is her dad's brother.  Sad story really.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I was "lost" once.

Was snowmobiling in the arrow head of Minnesota. Was out with my uncle and a buddy (much older than me). It was January, about -20* outside (getting down into the -30's at night). We were dressed for the weather (obviously).

We had planned to make a giant loop on the trails up there and be back at the lodge before dark for supper (dark around 6 that time of year). This was the second day actually. The first day, we got about 4 miles out of the lodge and my engine seized up. Thew a crank seal and it ran hot and melted the piston. Anyway, my uncle graciously let me use his machine and he went to the ski hill instead. He really likes downhill skiing, so it worked out pretty good. There were only 3 fuel stops available for the day. We hit the first and then the second. The third was only about a 3 miles from the second, so we skipped it. That would later come into play....

We were about half way back and the marked trail went into an area cleared by logging. Was at least a few hundred acres cleared. The problem was there were no markers as to which way the trail went, but tracks went EVERYWHERE. We followed the path most traveled, which led to a logging road. The only issue is that after a few miles, the logging road started heading in the wrong direction. We had been stopping multiple times to check the map as we had not seen markers. We decided to back-track and go back to the last place we found the trail. Tried another direction, and then another to no avail. It was getting dark and we FINALLY found the trail. Long before this, we knew our fuel was low. When I would hit a bump my fuel gauge would bounce a bit, so I knew I had some, but it was a long way back to the lodge yet. To find out later, my buddy had stopped looking at his fuel gauge a while ago . We were driving to maximize fuel economy, which isn't easy on a 2 stroke snowmobile.

We finally got to a road, so we knew we would at least not be camping out that night. Another 1.5 miles and we were back at the lodge (lodge was just out of town). My buddy's machine died about 100 feet from where we were going to park. I drove mine to its parking spot, but it was spitting and sputtering. It would not start later (not enough fuel in the tank for the pump to get: it was pumping while moving just from the splashes ).

That night over burgers, we all talked about what may have happened if we had not made it back.

Some items we noted from that discussion:

• My uncle was already about 15 minutes from sending out a search party for us, as we were late and it was VERY cold.

• Cell phones had no service up there. This is in the days before smart phones, and pocket GPS was still stupid expensive and nobody had it. This was also before there was signal almost everywhere (although there is STILL no signal in that area). Cell phones were worthless unless you were very close to a town.

• While we had no tents with us, we had basic tools and fire. We were also dressed for the weather.

• We had no signal flares.

• We had no spare gasoline with us, but unless you have a mountain sled, this is hard to do. In theory, we should have gotten back to the lodge with between 1/3 and 1/2 tank..

Some things that we changed after that:

• In ANY situations where we were in even somewhat remote areas, stop at every opportunity to top off fuel tanks.

• While I already had a can of sterno and multiple lighters, more sterno cans were added to the saddle bags.

• More tools (survival oriented) were added to the saddle bags when we were in remote areas.

• Road flares put in saddle bags.

• Extra clothing added to saddle bags when on remote trips, on top of our usual extra clothing.

Up there, walking out would have been almost impossible with that deep of snow. My buddy was much older than I am (as in he was ordering off the senior menu). Snowmobile tracks commonly ran up and down logging roads for trap lines. The tracks didn't lead anywhere. Our only chance would have been to try to get back to marked trail, but it was an early week trip, and those trails were hardly ever used outside of the weekends. The locals didn't even bother plowing in the winter, they used snowmobiles and modified trucks (tracks instead of wheels) to get around. This meant that snowmobiling the trails wasn't 'fun' for them as a pass time.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Sad

Anybody else notice the part where her streamlight pen light still worked when they found her?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't know, perhaps she went 50 yards off to pinch an loaf. Got turned around and started hiking in the wrong direction. Now she's 150 yards off in what looks like steep, dense terrain. Spends the rest of the day getting lost further in the bush. Makes camp, rain storm the next day and Robert is her dad's brother.  Sad story really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alone.

The report did make it sound like she kept going higher to find a cell signal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I was kind of in this situation and only of the trail about half a mile. I was too injuried to move even though I knew roughly where I needed to go I couldn't physically get there between my I furies from the fall and the terrain I would have had to cross. Helicopters flew over my tent and signals for three days before one saw me. It's pretty easy to not be found by professional, equipped and dedicated searchers even very close to a trail.
View Quote

Wow.  Have you ever told the whole story here?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, outdoor life channel did a documentary on it so I got my 15 minutes of fame and have tried to forget how you and stupid I was ever since
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#27]
make fire, add green pine branches, smoke up the place recieve help!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was "lost" once.

Was snowmobiling in the arrow head of Minnesota. Was out with my uncle and a buddy (much older than me). It was January, about -20* outside (getting down into the -30's at night). We were dressed for the weather (obviously).

We had planned to make a giant loop on the trails up there and be back at the lodge before dark for supper (dark around 6 that time of year). This was the second day actually. The first day, we got about 4 miles out of the lodge and my engine seized up. Thew a crank seal and it ran hot and melted the piston. Anyway, my uncle graciously let me use his machine and he went to the ski hill instead. He really likes downhill skiing, so it worked out pretty good. There were only 3 fuel stops available for the day. We hit the first and then the second. The third was only about a 3 miles from the second, so we skipped it. That would later come into play....

We were about half way back and the marked trail went into an area cleared by logging. Was at least a few hundred acres cleared. The problem was there were no markers as to which way the trail went, but tracks went EVERYWHERE. We followed the path most traveled, which led to a logging road. The only issue is that after a few miles, the logging road started heading in the wrong direction. We had been stopping multiple times to check the map as we had not seen markers. We decided to back-track and go back to the last place we found the trail. Tried another direction, and then another to no avail. It was getting dark and we FINALLY found the trail. Long before this, we knew our fuel was low. When I would hit a bump my fuel gauge would bounce a bit, so I knew I had some, but it was a long way back to the lodge yet. To find out later, my buddy had stopped looking at his fuel gauge a while ago . We were driving to maximize fuel economy, which isn't easy on a 2 stroke snowmobile.

We finally got to a road, so we knew we would at least not be camping out that night. Another 1.5 miles and we were back at the lodge (lodge was just out of town). My buddy's machine died about 100 feet from where we were going to park. I drove mine to its parking spot, but it was spitting and sputtering. It would not start later (not enough fuel in the tank for the pump to get: it was pumping while moving just from the splashes ).

That night over burgers, we all talked about what may have happened if we had not made it back.

Some items we noted from that discussion:
  • My uncle was already about 15 minutes from sending out a search party for us, as we were late and it was VERY cold.
  • Cell phones had no service up there. This is in the days before smart phones, and pocket GPS was still stupid expensive and nobody had it. This was also before there was signal almost everywhere (although there is STILL no signal in that area). Cell phones were worthless unless you were very close to a town.
  • While we had no tents with us, we had basic tools and fire. We were also dressed for the weather.
  • We had no signal flares.
  • We had no spare gasoline with us, but unless you have a mountain sled, this is hard to do. In theory, we should have gotten back to the lodge with between 1/3 and 1/2 tank..
Some things that we changed after that:

• In ANY situations where we were in even somewhat remote areas, stop at every opportunity to top off fuel tanks.
  • While I already had a can of sterno and multiple lighters, more sterno cans were added to the saddle bags.
  • More tools (survival oriented) were added to the saddle bags when we were in remote areas.
  • Road flares put in saddle bags.
  • Extra clothing added to saddle bags when on remote trips, on top of our usual extra clothing.
Up there, walking out would have been almost impossible with that deep of snow. My buddy was much older than I am (as in he was ordering off the senior menu). Snowmobile tracks commonly ran up and down logging roads for trap lines. The tracks didn't lead anywhere. Our only chance would have been to try to get back to marked trail, but it was an early week trip, and those trails were hardly ever used outside of the weekends. The locals didn't even bother plowing in the winter, they used snowmobiles and modified trucks (tracks instead of wheels) to get around. This meant that snowmobiling the trails wasn't 'fun' for them as a pass time.

View Quote

+1 to NEVER skipping a chance to fuel up when trail riding.  Only place I don't worry is short trips onto the ice to ice fish where I'm not burning fuel in any quantity.  Skipping a fuel stop can easily bite you.  Especially the way new 2 strokes come running rich for engine break in.  You seem to go through fuel so much faster.

I read the linked article.  

Unless injured or debilitatingly sick after a week with no rescue one really needs to consider self rescue.  I can't believe one would sit there and eat the contents of the back pack (at most a few days worth of meals most likely).  I have fasted for 5 days straight and it does suck and you don't have your normal stamina but you're not a fixed rock.  Walk a hundred or two yards toward the next hill or valley and rest a half hour and walk again.  

Sad that one was content to sit it out like that and then end up dead.  

I hear radio traffic all the time of hikers hitting any snag and calling for rescue.  
common reasons;
-got off the trail/went wrong way at junction
-it got dark
-ran out of water
-sprained ankle/sore feet.
-medical issues

I would say the majority of them are off the trail or it got dark on them (starting too late in the day for an all day hike).   The serious medical emergencies, ok, no problem, that's a legitimate issue (even though some people knew they had a problem and still went way off the road)

It astounds me how many calls to 911 there are for hikers who ran out of water or someone in their party sprained an ankle and they want the VFD to come get them or expect a helicopter ride out for a sprained ankle.  In the NE we have plenty of water, it might get you sick with giardia later but it will prevent heat stroke and organ damage.  Seriously, you ran out of your 1 Liter of water half way up a mountain on a 96 degree day, so you just keep going knowing you have to go 3x longer than the distance you already went and the day is just getting hotter?  Goes along with the folks going up the mountain with flimsy shit shoes.   Go figure, you sprained your ankle.

It seems people are just that more unprepared than they ever were.  The outdoors is popular so more people go there but it does get more WTF are you doing here moments.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Alone.

View Quote

Not sure why it smells fishy, this kind of thing happens all the time, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks for the insight TJ.  I have never truly been lost to be honest.  I know the basic rules especially living here in the desert.  Interesting perspective you point out being able to walk across some states in 3 weeks.  Ie if you have the resources like water you can likely just walk your way out of being lost.

Edit:  just found this, looks like she was near some roads as well.  Roads and the trail in nearly all directions.

https://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_1920w/Boston/2011-2020/2015/10/17/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Images/map2-horiz%5B1%5D.jpg

Here is the full report, interesting to read about the location and the wardens got out by walking downhill for 20 min to a road.
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/25/report-geraldine-largay-kept-journal-during-weeks-lost-in-maine-woods/document/
View Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't pretty much a sure bet if you continue to walk downhill from any point, you will eventually run into some sort of civilization?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't pretty much a sure bet if you continue to walk downhill from any point, you will eventually run into some sort of civilization?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_1920w/Boston/2011-2020/2015/10/17/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Images/map2-horiz%5B1%5D.jpg

In North America there are few if any exceptions; if you find flowing water keep following it and you will almost always come across something like a town, road, bridge, house, boat etc at some point.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I feel sorry for the woman's family.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maplets

That's why you turn it off and use it sparingly once you know you are in trouble...

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maplets

i can turn on the power save mode on my phone and get 12 days of battery life. thats with cell service on and GPS.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, the list of stuff she had in the end was pretty decent. Also saw 2 Bics and tons of matches listed as well as a compass.  She sounded like she was semi prepared equipment wise to save herself but was lacking in the knowledge and skills to utilize them to get it done.  

Sad deal
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#36]
It is a sad story, especially because she was so close to being found. There are some good points in this thread. They say you should stay where you are for rescue if you know rescue may be coming (which we could probably assume she did since she had someone expecting her) but after a while the other good point is had she walked she could have found something. Reading the report when the warden took the family members to the site it says they had only walked 30 minutes or less to get back to the railroad bed they came in on.

Having walked other hikes that utilized parts of the AT not all that far from this location I can say that it is not always as well marked as you might expect. Sure she could have use the bathroom right next to the trail but I imagine out of respect for the trail and others she did not. Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone hiking the trail just took a crap 10 feet off the trail?  She did have a bunch of use-able stuff they found at the site but it wont do any good unless you are creative enough to know what to do with it. I go on hikes with practically 10x as much stuff as she had with her just because you cannot predict the unknown. Better to be prepared.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Today's paper story headline:
Maine Warden Service file reveals Largay didn’t know how to use a compass

Buried in the reports, photos, logs and the mountain of information related to one of the state’s most extensive missing person searches, there is this detail: Geraldine Largay did not know how to use a compass.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/05/26/maine-warden-service-file-reveals-largay-didnt-know-how-to-use-a-compass/

I really can't imagine someone hiking the AT that doesn't know how to use a compass. Maybe the trail is so well marked it's not needed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#38]
She didn't belong out there alone.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Today's paper story headline:
Maine Warden Service file reveals Largay didn’t know how to use a compass

Buried in the reports, photos, logs and the mountain of information related to one of the state’s most extensive missing person searches, there is this detail: Geraldine Largay did not know how to use a compass.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/05/26/maine-warden-service-file-reveals-largay-didnt-know-how-to-use-a-compass/

I really can't imagine someone hiking the AT that doesn't know how to use a compass. Maybe the trail is so well marked it's not needed.
View Quote

I figured as much- either she didn't have a compass or didn't know how to use it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Reminded me of similar stories I read in this book It really does amaze me how small things string together to create the situation and how people often make a single decision that either saves them or kills them. What's more interesting is the thought processes, this woman believed to her death that someone was coming to save her and sat still (sounded like she actually set up camp to wait). That's a pretty powerful belief system.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I've gotten lost many times in the woods of western Kentucky as a kid.

Keep walking, and you'll find a landmark or help. While I realize the woods aren't extensive here, the same applies.

Hump it out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It is a sad story, especially because she was so close to being found. There are some good points in this thread. They say you should stay where you are for rescue if you know rescue may be coming (which we could probably assume she did since she had someone expecting her) but after a while the other good point is had she walked she could have found something. Reading the report when the warden took the family members to the site it says they had only walked 30 minutes or less to get back to the railroad bed they came in on.

Having walked other hikes that utilized parts of the AT not all that far from this location I can say that it is not always as well marked as you might expect. Sure she could have use the bathroom right next to the trail but I imagine out of respect for the trail and others she did not. Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone hiking the trail just took a crap 10 feet off the trail?  She did have a bunch of use-able stuff they found at the site but it wont do any good unless you are creative enough to know what to do with it. I go on hikes with practically 10x as much stuff as she had with her just because you cannot predict the unknown. Better to be prepared.
View Quote

It's the same as the guy that got his truck stuck in the winter on a mountain road and was so well prepared with gear, that he lived for 2-3 months before starving to death.
Turns out there was a bar/restaurant just out of site,  a few miles away, downhill.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Missing tourist Tom Billings' remains found in Canada after two years

The remains of a British tourist who disappeared in Canada two and a half years ago have been found.
Tom Billings, 22, from Oxford, was last seen hiking in the North Shore mountains on 25 November 2013.
His remains and personal belongings were spotted by hikers on Cypress Mountain in West Vancouver last month.
A post-mortem examination has been carried out and officers from Vancouver Police Department said foul play was not suspected.
Mr Billings, who was reported missing after failing to return to his accommodation in Vancouver, had been expected to return to England in December 2013.

At the time of Billings's disappearance, two hikers told North Shore Search and Rescue they talked with the young man at about 1:30 p.m. PT on Hanes Valley Trail, a difficult hiking route in Lynn Headwaters Regional Park in North Vancouver.

Police say he was spotted earlier that day on East Broadway near McLean Drive, at about 9 a.m.

However, he wasn't reported missing until seven to 10 days later, when he failed to complete travel plans on his eight-week tour of North America.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tom-billings-dead-british-hiker-vancouver-1.3603347
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#44]
During a recent filming of the Animal Planet reality series 'North Woods Law,' the Maine Warden Service was informed that a surveyor working on the property may have come across human remains near where Largay had gone missing in 2013.

The Maine Warden Service, accompanied by the 'North Woods Law' camera crew, set off to investigate the scene.

In a clip shared exclusively with InsideEdition.com, a game warden can be seen, eyes wide as they peeled back the tent that acted as Largay's final resting place.
For the full story, tune into 'North Woods Law', returning to Animal Planet on Thursday, June 2 at 9/8c.

Despite one of the largest search efforts in Maine's history, Largay's remains would not be found for another two years still inside her sleeping bag in her tent (pictured)

Officers are also filmed examining her possessions, which were all contained in resealable bags
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wow... sounds like if she would have just continued to try to work her way out she may have found her way out of there and lived, but she did the very thing we've all been trained to do, when you realize you're lost, quit moving around and let the searchers find you... unfortunately it sounds like the search for her was given up too soon and she perished waiting on a rescue that would never come...

What a shame...

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to pick on the searchers, it's all a game of making guesses and judgment calls based on the information they have at the time; I'm not second-guessing them. Just a shame that it seems she waited for a rescue that would never come...
View Quote

Staying put works for little kids or people in a group because somebody knows were the lost person was not that long ago.

Hiking a thousand mile trail by yourself, not so much.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

probably didn't want someone to see her pee, in case someone walked by, and didn't know how to get back to the trail that she could no longer see.

due to:

Inexperience, lack of equipment and lack of knowledge.

She had a map. Did she have a compass? Did she know how to orient the map without knowing exactly where she was.

Could she tell direction with the sun and the moss on the trees, and the stars?

She was hiking the trail alone and could not use or did not have a compass?

She had a phone, why didn't she have a GPS with extra batteries, rechargable batteries, and a solar charger, and a compass and a spare compass.

Why didn't she know how to find food. Maine is full of bugs under every log and every rock in the summer.

Why didn't she know how to walk a straight line through the woods?

I will be blunt, it sounds like she was unprepared and un-equiped to be out in the woods by herself.

ETA:

So she did have a compass but did not know how to use it.

She should have not be out there even in a group, never mind by herself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I think, situation dependant, that the mantra of "sit still" is OK for most for the first 72 hrs or so
At a certain, early, point you must decide your own fate. That decision always happens, I'm just suggesting we teach it to be an active thought process and not an accept the current situation fate no matter what.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Going by the maps I've seen, she'd have run into a logging type road very quickly, which then - if also followed downwards - would lead straight back to the trail.   She didn't even need to walk in a straight line.

She probably remembered the common advice that when you are lost, to stay put and stop getting more lost.

Some articles are reporting that she not only did not know how to use a map or compass, but that she refused to learn.   And then, of course, is the matter of the SPOT beacon she is reported to have left behind at a motel by accident.

It is also reported that she attempted to make some fires, but failed to do so.   I doubt she was capable of doing so despite having plenty of fire-making implements (matches/lighters).

Going out on a limb here... it would not surprise me if she left the trail going "downhill" on the side that is generally uphill or went far enough to find a draw, ended up at a low spot off the trail, then went back "up" the wrong hill to get back to it.

Quoted:
For one, I hope you wouldn't stray 1.5 miles off the trail to piss/poop.

Some people, particularly women, will go several hundred yards with little or no consideration for how to get back.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Ever been around a group of camping females?
100 ft from camp it looks like a cotton field ....

Find a bush...pop a squat..bury and move on....

I'm a douche ...ill puss right on the trail or 1-3. Ft off it....ill shit in camp.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#50]
A paper map and a compass always got me out of roadless Rocky Mountain wilderness areas.  Old tech, but it works if you are not too stupid to figure out how to use it!  Worst situation was a white-out due to heavy snow.  Couldn't see 50 yards.  Compass got me out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top