Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 4:54:12 AM EDT
I ordered one of their 1 month buckets. About to order another... did I do good? Or did I make a mistake?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not tried them. Mountain House is the gold standard. When I do buy that type of meals I buy MH.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with Augason or Honeyville.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have alot of auguson farms seems good quality to me. A 1 month bucket is a good start but if thats all you had to eat youd get tired of it real quick, look into 5 gallon buckets/mylar, canning, and storing more food you already eat. Good luck, either you wasted a little money and time or you bought the best insurance policy possible, only time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the Wal Mart online prices. They are are the best that I've seen, and with the right amount of purchase the shipping is free to you. It's good stuff for sure, but MH is the gold standard, but more expensive too.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
To get 2500 calories a day you need ~1 pound 'dry weight' of food per day.

What does that bucket weigh?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the Wal Mart online prices. They are are the best that I've seen, and with the right amount of purchase the shipping is free to you. It's good stuff for sure, but MH is the gold standard, but more expensive too.

View Quote

If you have a Sams Club membership, that's the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Whether you made a mistake or not depends what your long term plans are and what else you have.

Generally speaking, Augason Farms markets good quality products, I doubt you will be disappointed in that regard
A lot of their items are dehydrated vs. freeze dried.  

You didn't post a link to exactly what you purchased, so it makes it difficult to say.
Generally speaking, I do not like any 30 day buckets,
People buy them and just toss them in the closet, believing they will be GTG when something happens.
They rely on the "30 day supply" label, I would not want to be there if they actually have to use them.

When buying pre-packaged stuff:
You really have to read what you are getting, check the calories, keep in mind that a serving is NOT a meal, and it's probably a good idea to taste-test before buying in bulk.

If it is this bucket here then you are going to need to add a bunch of stuff to it.
1822 cal/day is low, all it has is milk substitute, instant oatmeal, instant potatoes, soup, rice and macaroni & cheese.
- No meat.
If you tried to live on that for 30 days right now, you will lose weight.

This is the best pre-packaged 30day supply I have found:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason-farms-emergency-food-storage-kit-30-day-1-person/prod3111476.ip?navAction=
It provides 2,000cal/day (which is better) and has a better variety of stuff, but still no meat.
and you still need to add stuff to it.

After we checked it out,
we bought a couple more as handouts for family members that we do not want moving in with us in a SHTF event.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top