Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/19/2016 1:26:52 AM EDT
It's good to have people 'spit ball' ideas to prepare yourself for things you wouldn't think of.

A friend I had a discussion with a few weeks ago, and a recent thread in GD and here in this forum, got me thinking about something I may have never thought would be a good idea.......

A cat.....and that's coming from a "dog person"

Yup, it can keep away unwanted vermin which are bad and if it's an 'outside' cat can feed itself.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Hand pump for petroleum products
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
spare headlight bulbs stashed in the car.
tampons stashed in the car.
check your spare tire pressure on all your cars, your oil change guy doesnt do it.
listerine stashed in the car. saved my buddies ass from undue further questioning in highschool.
poncho stashed in the car.
spare socks stashed in the car.
paint pen- different uses than a sharpie, i use yellow.
"good guy" signal- velcro flag patch, flag, LEO or FD (supporter) sticker or magnet.
sounding device- air horn at home & stashed in the car.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Four-way water bib key.  Get water from any outside water bib / sillcock with no handle.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's good to have people 'spit ball' ideas to prepare yourself for things you wouldn't think of.

A friend I had a discussion with a few weeks ago, and a recent thread in GD and here in this forum, got me thinking about something I may have never thought would be a good idea.......

Yup, it can keep away unwanted vermin which are bad and if it's an 'outside' cat can feed itself.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Not bad but you know whats the best vermin killer, even rats? The Jack Russel Terrier. That little guy is a killing machine. Having owned one I would get one again if I had issues with rats or birds, the one I had killed both with ease and enthusiast.
Another thing that comes to mind is location dependent items. Sunscreen and bug repellent werent things I needed to bother with in Ireland. Here in the Costa del Sol they are must haves and I stocked up on both. Bug repellent especially in the country, is something to focus on if you thing of Zika and other mosquito diseases.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Four-way water bib key.  Get water from any outside water bib / sillcock with no handle.

http://www.agriculturesolutions.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/Four_Way_Water_V_4be9abe83e658.jpg
View Quote

I like where your heads at!

I never thought of that yet been around them for years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Finger nail clippers. Nothing for me is more annoying than nails that get torn or split and get snagged on clothing. I like my nails short and trimmed at all times.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
dust masks for when Yellowstone erupts....   the ash will kill you

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]
A cheap bag of cotton balls, a saucer or small plate, olive oil, and a source of ignition(lighter, matches, etc...). Combine and you have cheap, safe light for pennies an hour. Just pour the oil into the saucer, then saturate a cotton ball in oil and shape like a Hershey kiss. Light and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.agriculturesolutions.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/Four_Way_Water_V_4be9abe83e658.jpg

While a good idea I think a small pair of vice grips would be more practical.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
during the 2004/2005 hurricane season I was without power several times, up to 9 days.. power was restored to school before my house, so getting up at 6AM was troublesome, as the inside temps made sleeping difficult until after midnight without air conditioning... I had to dig out an old wind up alarm clock from college...a couple of battery powered fans helped with the sleeping, and after retirement I worked on the fan problem.. a Coleman battery powered tent fan, a model plane propeller collet hub, and a strap will spin the ceiling fan for 9+ hours on a new D cell and for 6 on 2AA Eneloops in an adapter...

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
i got booted from frugal squirrel because i advocated carrying a MIRROR, yip thats right , something so small and cheap has many uses;

signaling
firestarting
can use to cut small things

and most importantly;

first aid - get something stuck in your eye and see how valuable a mirror will become

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i got booted from frugal squirrel because i advocated carrying a MIRROR, yip thats right , something so small and cheap has many uses;

signaling
firestarting

and most importantly;

first aid - get something stuck in your eye and see how valuable a mirror will become

View Quote

You got kicked out of frugal squirrel becuase you suggested carrying a mirror???
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

signaling
firestarting

and most importantly;

View Quote

Agreed, a mirror is a very valuable tool.  

Awhile back I had a surgical wound that had to heal by secondary intention

had to clean and change dressing twice daily for about 10 weeks

it was miserable

couldn't have done it without a mirror
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You got kicked out of frugal squirrel becuase you suggested carrying a mirror???
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

signaling
firestarting

and most importantly;

FerFAL

yip, that mod at the time was one of those lightweight through hikers, he didnt think the extra weight was worth it
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vise Grips will work with some, but many are recessed. Needle-nose might work on even the recessed ones; never tried it.

I carry one of the four-ways pictured, but in my tool box not in my ghb gear.

One unusual thing I carry in my ghb gear is duct tape wrapped around a flat piece of cardboard. I love duct tape for all kind of things, but a roll of it is bulky and usually a bad shape for carrying around. Take a small (3"x8", 3"x10", etc) piece of cardboard and wrap 2" duct tape around it the long ways. Wrap narrower 3/4"-wide duct tape the same, alongside the 2" tape. (That's why 3" wide cardboard) Ten wraps each give you twenty-five or thirty feet of duct tape, in a package that is flat, flexible, and lightweight.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

a well exercised brain and body- 99.9% forget that

most "must have" gadgets are still just gadgets
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#17]
small pencil sharpener
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote
Domesticated and semi domesticated cats will be free for the feeding.

You'll probably have a hard time turning enough of them away.  If you aren't feeding the cat, you'll have to neuter them then protect the ones you want from the interlopers.

But they'll just show up.  They do that now and there aren't 100's of lonely women turning them lose because they can't feed their babies anymore.

My tip is plastic bags. Not just stuff like ziploc and garbage bags, but also contractor bags, but also plastic grocery bags... those things have all sorts of uses from plugging leaks in windows and doors to tying off stuff to keeping a wound dry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#19]
not end of the world, but if you live in hurricane country... a second cooler to transport ice... a good 5-7 day cooler to store your perishable food
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Another +1 for various plastic bags... zip locks, garbage bags etc.

Plenty of cheap tarps.  Different kinds of tape and glue.  Various nails staples etc.  
-One example would be fixing broken windows or a damaged roof when no replacement window or materials are available.

Extra buckets of various sizes.

Tire plugs and patches.  A 12V air pump and an old school style tire air pump.

Tire irons and the knowledge to use them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]
A deck of cards.  At least I won't die from boredom.  I hope I have some friends around.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

A deck of cards.  At least I won't die from boredom.  I hope I have some friends around.
View Quote

there's an old joke about that:

always carry a deck of cards while hiking -

then, if you get hopelessly lost miles from civilization, just sit down and play solitaire -

some helpful person will be along within minutes looking over your shoulder to tell you to put the black 10 on the red jack

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#23]
After a 2 week backpacking trip...

nailclippers
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#24]
A siphon.

Wire ties, particularly big ones.

Hydrogen peroxide.

Bolt cutters.

ETA:

Several clear photos of each family member for posting and handing out if needed.

A ziplock with stamps and envelopes.

A thumb drive with your essential info, documents, and your RESUME.  I you get relocated due to a natural disaster, getting work will be a priority.

A Dropbox or Google Drive account with the "get your life back" info stored on it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Finger nail clippers. Nothing for me is more annoying than nails that get torn or split and get snagged on clothing. I like my nails short and trimmed at all times.
View Quote

Just use sidecutters
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Probably not as rare, but... paper plates.
Great for when theres no power, for when no one wants to do the dishes, for when theres people coming over and its more of an informal thing and they are great for the shooting range as targets.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

vice grips are not going to work.

you can get an inexpensive 4-way on amazon for a couple of dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sillcock+key

make a short loop from paracord, tie it on, and you'll never lose it.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#28]
anti-diarrhea tablets, many people have died because they could not get that under control, s__t happens!
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just use sidecutters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just use sidecutters

OR the scissors on a swiss army knife.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just use sidecutters

I EDC a SAK and that's one thing I regularly use it for.  A decent pair of scissors can save you a hell of a lot of trouble.  Sometimes knives just won't "cut it".  
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
anti-diarrhea tablets, many people have died because they could not get that under control, s__t happens!
View Quote

Not an expert, but if you have diarrhea wouldnt it be best to just stay hydrated. The scoots are your body's way of getting rid of something that's not good for it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not an expert, but if you have diarrhea wouldnt it be best to just stay hydrated. The scoots are your body's way of getting rid of something that's not good for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct. ant-diarrheal's cause you to retain the toxin your body is trying to dispel and can lead to a megacolon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Keep some cans of fix a flat in your cars/trucks. And a tow/recovery strap. And strap on knee pads. kneeling on gravel sucks
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Several sheets of emergency space blankets, kept in the car.  Folded up they are so small they fit anywhere, and in a pinch they can be used to upgrade your other clothing (I.E.as a lining for your winter hat).
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just use sidecutters

OR a Swiss Army knife in general.  I regularly carry my Swisschamp and I used it for everything from repairing computers to digging frigging ticks out of my leg.  At one picnic I was a hero for having an emergency corkscrew!
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#36]
If you've got the space for it (even if it's just stuck up in the rafters in the garage): lumber.  Just a little stack of 2-by's and 1/2" plywood, if nothing else.  When you need it, nothing else will do.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Great for when theres no power, for when no one wants to do the dishes, for when theres people coming over and its more of an informal thing and they are great for the shooting range as targets.
FerFAL
View Quote

That's actually a great one.  If there is a water shortage/problem (which can occur for some folks with a simple power outage) saving water can be important.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
FerFAL
View Quote

A large box of the heavier plastic utensils as well.  You can use them for get togethers or SHTF.  Burn right along with the paper plates.  Heavy enough to wash and reuse too.

Portable stainless steel tank sprayers and Perm 10 (10% permethrin concentrate).  Kills ants, ticks, spiders.  You can cut down to .5% and spray on clothing, not skin, and let dry.  About 1000% cheaper then the premixed sprays.  I would say propane bug fogger but new ones these days are shit.  Make your own.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#39]
A ream or two of paper, and some wood pencils.

The "other-than-obvious" uses are (almost) endless IMO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#40]
It sounds stupid, but hand saws. I live in a pretty rural area and it amazes me the number of people around here that lack manual cutting tools of any type. Everything is electric, rechargeable, or gas powered. They have no back up if something goes wrong.

I carry a cheap Stanley Shark Tooth handsaw in all my vehicles and ATVs. It takes up nearly no space when laying flat under or behind a seat. Beats the hell out of swinging a hatchet 5 million times in most cases.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not bad but you know whats the best vermin killer, even rats? The Jack Russel Terrier. That little guy is a killing machine. Having owned one I would get one again if I had issues with rats or birds, the one I had killed both with ease and enthusiast.
Another thing that comes to mind is location dependent items. Sunscreen and bug repellent werent things I needed to bother with in Ireland. Here in the Costa del Sol they are must haves and I stocked up on both. Bug repellent especially in the country, is something to focus on if you thing of Zika and other mosquito diseases.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

FerFAL

What does a JRT do if it sees a rattlesnake?
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Salt

soooooo many people overlook Salt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hand pump for petroleum products
View Quote

Individual 5 gallon containers, instead of one big 50 gallon drum. Keep a Safety Siphon or six on hand.

5 gallons can be hand-carried by a pre-teen child; a 50 gallon drum requires a forklift. In the case of a bug-out, you need to move your gasoline NOW, not when your buddy's forklift is available.

My tip? Eyewash. In SHTF it's likely that there'll be lots of ash in the air. Washing your eyes will be a blessing! And if you use sterile solution, it can be used for cleaning wounds.

eta Bandanas! There are ENDLESS uses for them! They can be used for nose blowing, scarf to keep the sun off of various parts of your body, large bandages (I have 4 of them, boiled and air-dried, in my BOB), covering your face during a hold-up, emergency hat... the list is a long one.
30 uses for bandanas
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Keep some cans of fix a flat in your cars/trucks. And a tow/recovery strap. And strap on knee pads. kneeling on gravel sucks
View Quote

a piece of carpet in the trunk works well along with a flat piece of wood to place your jack on in soft terrain such as asphalt in the summer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Not an enlightenment item but a recent "aha moment" doing some physical security planning.  

Solar Lights: like these >>>
Solar Lights

And battery powered alarm motion sensors like these >>>
Motion Sensors
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I always carry a pair of these
when I'm in the woods. Better
than hacking brush with a
knife or a machete. They are
pretty handy for fire making
twigs & trimming trails, etc.

John
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

A manual Oral Thermometer! (Needs no batteries!)
All so diaper rash cream! (You may not be able to clean your clothes!
You may have to wear same pants, maybe wet for sometime!)
A large marker! Ink,paint or wax, to leave a massage!

PITA45

P.S. You can all so feed the cat to the dog! If thing get real bad!!!
Before anyone says anything: Got two dogs and 4 indoor cats!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Portable battery charger and cable to recharge a cell phone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think that, you better take a look at 'commercial' sillcocks where the valve stem is inset / shielded against using pliers. That's the whole point of a sillcock key. Each of the four ends fit a different size / type of shielded stem.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Ok, I've read some good suggestions but I'll take the grand prize. Oxo, or other quality, side cutting (safety) can opener.

No sure we all have a can opener on our SAK, multitool, and P38. Maybe even a regular can opener like grandma's. We've also seen how to open a can with a rambo knife or on the sidewalk (what a mess for soups).

The side cutting can opener is much safer reaching into the can to scrape every last bit out. We all know how bad a can cut can be and, worse, being injured in dire times. That's now why I say get one. Get one because the can will now become a container with a snug fitting lid. Great for if you don't consume it all at once. Reusing cans/lids have tons of uses long term SHTF.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top