Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2016 2:54:20 PM EDT
Was rummaging thru one of my prep boxes and found some pouches of Mountain House, trying out the Raspberry Crumble.

AAR in about 5-10 minutes, lol

So, cooked it up and eating it. Its actually pretty good. The Raspberry still has a "tartness" like you'd expect. The chocolate wasnt white from age, it was still crunchy. So, alls well ends well. lol.

I think this would be best suited as a pie filler or such and not a stand alone dessert
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not surprised.  Last year I opened a couple of cans of MH that I bought in the early 80s.

Though the color was off, everything else seemed just fine.

Too salty for my taste, but that is not a surprise.

Now, nutritionally, I can't say whether it had deteriorated or not.  It still provided calories, I know that, It satisfied hunger just like fresh food.

Best to eat it in a dimly lit room, and have lots of water to drink.  Those of you who prefer saltier food probably won't have that problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If you die be sure and update this thread

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

No problem..im sure there is an App for that out there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll be just fine.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Dibs on any .22LR ammo he may have had.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
"Best by", "use by" and "do not use after" dates are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow, your getting down to the expired Mountain House already, I didn't figure this stage would have come so soon.....

View Quote

Didnt get a deer this year...dont want to be a starvin marvin

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have about 30 that expired in 2013.  If you survive, I'll eat them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Can you hold out till April, maybe someone can get you a resupply down there
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, your getting down to the expired Mountain House already, I didn't figure this stage would have come so soon.....

Didnt get a deer this year...dont want to be a starvin marvin

Can you hold out till April, maybe someone can get you a resupply down there

LoL..yea,,,i should..hoping to start back into fishing, they just stocked Knapp Creek last week w/ trout.

Sadly, ive got the same 3 does that ive seen since day one still wondering around my yard at nite. lol. they survived last season, ill be looking for them come dec.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I officially nominate you to be SF's designated expired food tester.... given your screen name, that is  Post your address and we'll all send you stuff to try...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I officially nominate you to be SF's designated expired food tester.... given your screen name, that is  Post your address and we'll all send you stuff to try...
View Quote

LoL..Well funny part is ive been trying some other.

I also made some Long Grain & Wild Rice Pilaf yesterday to add to my beef stew (helps stretch out the meals, lol). It had a best use date of April 2009. I cooked it per the instructions, it turned out just fine, had flavor and was no different then those lil cups of instant rice you buy in grocery store.

about a week ago. I opened a big #10 can of Mountain House Nut-Chocolate Lurps (basically trail mix) here is the code on the bottom of the can;

99135N 30-530 MIX 223-242 KA/DW 04:26

Once I opened it, there was a distinct "chemical" smell , the nitrogen they used to pack it Im assuming. The chocolate M&Ms had discolored, I ate a handfull of the nuts and M&Ms and it had too much of a chemical taste to it. Im sure it was fine and wouldve been fine in an emergency, but the taste was mix of cardboard and chemical..so, not sure if that one was a fail or not, im sure it was edible but just couldnt get past the taste. Which is something to consider during SHTF,, that is why they suggest you feed your family the stuff your storing on occasion so they can get use to the different tastes and textures.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have used MH pouches more than a decade past best by.. As long as the package is not damaged, they are fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had 30 year old MH.. No problem.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Keep the TP close at hand...

YES, THIS HAS BECOME...

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have a bunch of old MRE's you can have.

View Quote

Ill pitch in 25-30 year old mre crackers and some vintage dark green pouched mre food.

Cliff bars from 2013 and a sweet and salty granola from 09'...

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Best by dates are highly subjective......ive eaten dehydrated sealed stuff way past the best by date
Top Top