Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2016 12:02:00 PM EDT
I'm looking for 2 recommendations. This is what I have found so far. Anything I should be looking at?

1) air pump (cars and jeep)
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I?tag=comparetables-20
2) on board air (for my big truck, maybe my jeep)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QEQM4W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2TGIK192BJOPQ&coliid=I4LSJBGA6N573&psc=1

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your budget? What size tires are you running?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
These guys make sure serious compressors systems for OBA.

ETA; I forgot to add link,
http://www.oasismfg.com/index.html
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
the second one you posted only has a 1 gallon tank, 1 gallon isnt very much air.  I have a compressor for my exhaust brake and it has a 1 gallon tank.  I couldn't air up one of my tires (285 75 17) with it, there just isn't enough volume.  The other problem you run in to is that some of those compressors are not made to run and run and run, they have pretty short duty cycles.  

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/10005-onboard-air-system.html?gclid=CNvMv5-E18oCFZQjgQodZykHvQ

I would look at something like the above compressor.  It is cheaper on amazon but i didnt want to go through the trouble of logging out of my account.   It will last a lot longer and supply a lot more air.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking about getting something like this for my jeep.

Link
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a smaller, portable 12v compressor as backup in my extended trip kit, but most of the time, I find co2 to be far more convenient for the jeep. I use stuff from this guy : http://www.instantairsupply.com/
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a VIAIR 87P that I keep in my Jeep(s). It works well for airing up after a day at the beach and such.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the second one you posted only has a 1 gallon tank, 1 gallon isnt very much air.  I have a compressor for my exhaust brake and it has a 1 gallon tank.  I couldn't air up one of my tires (285 75 17) with it, there just isn't enough volume.  The other problem you run in to is that some of those compressors are not made to run and run and run, they have pretty short duty cycles.  

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/10005-onboard-air-system.html?gclid=CNvMv5-E18oCFZQjgQodZykHvQ

I would look at something like the above compressor.  It is cheaper on amazon but i didnt want to go through the trouble of logging out of my account.   It will last a lot longer and supply a lot more air.
View Quote

How about this:
http://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Horns-Compressor-Stainless-Braided/dp/B015QCP25Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51yrBakYBsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR151%2C160_&refRID=0NXP4HHPFZD2XN4HB4F5

100% duty cycle @ 100psi. I could connect it to any tank size want.

It would air up a tire faster than the small pumps.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How about this:
http://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Horns-Compressor-Stainless-Braided/dp/B015QCP25Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51yrBakYBsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR151%2C160_&refRID=0NXP4HHPFZD2XN4HB4F5

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about this:

Those are very low flow. The last one is not even 2cfm@0PSI !
And it goes downhill the higher the pressure. Yeah they will pump 200PSI in sometime next week. Thoose are designed to run air horn novelties. Mear toys when it comes to air compressors. Look for something at least 2 cfm @ 100PSI
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And it goes downhill the higher the pressure. Yeah they will pump 200PSI in sometime next week. Thoose are designed to run air horn novelties. Mear toys when it comes to air compressors. Look for something at least 2 cfm @ 100PSI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about this:

I poked around the Oasis site. I can guarantee they are out of my budget range. Even the $350 air system required dual pumps to get 2CFM at 100psi.

Let me step back and say my budget is around $100 or so. I have 2.5G and 5G air tanks laying around, so I just need something to be better than the $35 dollar car units.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm looking for 2 recommendations. This is what I have found so far. Anything I should be looking at?

1) air pump (cars and jeep)
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I?tag=comparetables-20
2) on board air (for my big truck, maybe my jeep)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QEQM4W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2TGIK192BJOPQ&coliid=I4LSJBGA6N573&psc=1

View Quote

Hard to go wrong with the Viair.

It has pumped up a number of flats since 2007 or so when we got it.

IIRC, Costco had a quality pump, a clone of the Viair, some years ago discussed here, we got one, for abt $45 IIRC. It's fine too.

We also carry paintball CO2 tanks with an adapter I made, and they have filled up more flats than the Viair and are LOT faster.

Takes abt 1/2 of a 20 oz tank to inflate a truck tire  --not much liquid CO2...

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I thought about OBA for a long time and went with a big CO2 powertank instead. I like the ability to just toss it in whatever vehicle I'm in.
View Quote

yep, a 10/20lb tank from the local air/gas store and a 150psi fixed rate reg will get you in for less than 100.

If you want something else, get a old dive tank and add a air chuck to the high pressure side of the reg. Works well for air toys at the beach too.

ETA even cheaper and smaller are the paintball tanks, which you can add a adapter for 5-10 bucks

I use this setup for running nail guns off site or on top of a building. Hook the tank to a tool belt and with a small section of hose you can run anywhere and nail stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Another nice thing about compressed co2 is if you have dogs, you can put a spray nozzle on it and blow dog hair out of the vehicle
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up the MasterFlow MF 1050 recently for $50 with tax out the door from Pep Boys with online coupon site to store deal. Works perfect on 32" tires. My next set up will be a dig scuba tank set up. Not a big fan of on board air set ups for the price not worth it to me. I carry cordless tools (impact ratchet etc)and a way to charge them. Air is solely for tires or inflatables.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting something like this for my jeep.

Link
View Quote

What year/model is your jeep. I have a CJ and I used a AC pump as a compressor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#19]
For a portable air compressor, is there anything around $100 that would do a good job (even if slow) and last?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I have owned a Viair 440p for several years. I am glad I got that portable unit over a permanently installed OBA just because I can take it where I need it. It has seen quite a bit of use and keeps going strong. I would buy it again if I needed to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

For a portable air compressor, is there anything around $100 that would do a good job (even if slow) and last?
View Quote

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-12-Volt-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454377229&sr=8-1&keywords=mv50

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I run a ExtremeAire High output 2cfm @90psi Works good 100% duty cycle @150psi. I use a big rig air brake tank and dot air brake line to plumb it all

Air psi matches cluster, got lucky!:

dedicated switch:

super easy to work with"

Rear coupler, tucked away but easy to connect"

front coupler mounted in winch plate:

poly coiled hose 25':

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:45:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-12-Volt-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454377229&sr=8-1&keywords=mv50

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:38:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/95/ExtremeAire+Impulse+12+Volt+Air+Compressor++Part%23+007-027.html
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the portable tanks of c02 but don't own one.  Seen waldo use his at a campout and the portability is nice.

I have a vair compressor similar to what is linked but guess mine is an older model.  It barely can reach all 4 tires on a regular cab shortbed pickup.  If I had a bigger truck I would just make some jumper cables for it or change out the air hose for something that would work better.  As it is, works fine for a tj and stubby f150.  I also don't run the engine when using mine.  It might drain the battery if used for a really long time but I use it for topping off tires and what not, not gonna drain a battery doing that.

I was using a 2k or so watt invertor and a small house current air compressor for vehicle air needs.  It was loud as all getout cause it was a cheap setup, but I wanted the invertor in the vehicle and the air compressor was something I already owned so no biggy.  Air compressor died eventually and is waiting on me to part it out or repair it.  Air compressor came from a trash can and invertor was on closeout.

If I was looking at a setup for a vehicle I would do some hard reading and thinking and researching.  I know some of the places like pirate and expedition portal should have sticky threads on on board air.  I did a lot of reading way back when and viar was top dog in my price range.  These days I don't know if the answer is the same.

I do know if getting something for building into the vehicle I would want 100% duty rating and the ability to run air tools.  I have all the air tools from when I was a mechanic.  I understand that is less common now and that is fine, you build for what suits your situation.

Some people don't have all the accessories that are available on their vehicle so they can put on an engine driven compressor and that would be ideal for some situations, way overkill for me and I don't have the space for the air compressor.  

Something 100% duty from viar would work for me but by the time you get to some decent numbers I am sure it is near 500 bucks these days, and no I am not gonna peak.  Hate to know what inflation did to the prices for that stuff.

I recall some air compressor with the name puma that I think the guys on pirate where loving.  They would dismantle the thing to fit it into the wheel wells of their vehicles and abuse the heck out of it and for the price it was doing great.  This was years ago so no I don't think the current offering is as good without doing some research first.

I figure the viar is a great start.  Then sit down and figure out what you want out of the onboard air.  If filling a tank and getting a long rest works, have at it.  Some stuff does not even need an air tank.  I want an air tank to store some air so the compressor does not have to run everytime I want some air, but the air tank also lets a smaller compressor run air tools.  Not the best concept, but for impacting off lugnuts or something it works fine because that would be the hardest use and it would be rare.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought an Arb compressor about 4 years ago and never had an issue. I run no air tank, imo not worth it since the compressor has to work harder to fill an air tank and the tires at the same time. I have 35s that I run at 8psi off road and fill up to 22psi after, been doing it pretty regularly for years and I can still use it to fill other people tires to without it overheating or anything, it will not run air tools though, perhaps with a small tank i could spin off a couple lug nuts at a time though. I have Arb Model ckma12 - and the included wire harness is great if you run air lockers

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKMA12-P3572.aspx
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I own the first one. Great pump! Stays in my truck bed tool box.

I've used it to air down/up my truck tires before/after a beach trip, mounted and aired up several trailer tires, numerous neighbors low tires aired up, as well as bikes, basketballs, blah, blah.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
After running on-board air and co2 for at least 15 years,  I can definitely say I like co2 better until it runs out when you need it.
I used it to reseat a bead the other night and was able to drive my truck home.
I am currently running a 15lb powertank system with adjustable regulator.
It'san expensive system but ddoesn't have to be.
This replaced my aluminum 20lb tank with 150psi fixed regulator which worked perfect fine.
I also had a 5lb steel tank with an adjustable commercial regulator which worked great as well.

As long as you have a local place to refill it,  it's awesome.  
Running air tools without using my compressor is great as well.
Also used it for beer on tap.  ;)
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I use a Viair and extra hose that all fits in a 50 cal ammo can. Use it between two vehicles. Works great.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:19:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I have that same pump (as mentioned in OP) I use it to fill up my 37" tires. It does get hot and I give it a couple minutes rest between tires. For a jeep I think it would be perfect. What i like is that the hose screws onto the valve stem so you can do other stuff while the tires are inflating.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I got a little Craftsman (I know) 12v compressor as a gift a while back, and it has done surprisingly well for me.  It's slow, but I put it in the valve and give it a few minutes and it does fine.  It's small enough to keep in a gear box with some other basics in the back of my FJ.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Might look at one of these. by Ryobi.  It seems to have good reviews.  I haven't looked at other makers, but I would think some of the other systems like Milwaukee, Dewalt, ect., but they might have something similar. If it works as advertised  might jut be the ticket.   I have some Ryobi tools but otherwise am no affiliated with Ryobi.  

The 18-Volt ONE+ Power Inflator is a new offering from the ONE+ . This 18-Volt Power Inflator is perfect for tires and small inflatables ranging from 0-150 psi. The cordless convenience allows for use in virtually any location. The 18-Volt ONE+ Power Inflator is sold as a bare tool, allowing you to build on your ONE+ collection without spending additional money on batteries and chargers with each tool purchase. Best of all, like every Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ blue or green tool, this Power Inflator works with any 18-Volt ONE+ battery. Upgrade to lithium-ion or LITHIUM+ batteries for lighter weight and better performance.

California residents: see   Proposition 65 information  
•High pressure inflation of 0-150 psi for tires and small inflatables
•Cordless convenience for use in virtually any location
•Pistol grip handles design with grip zone over mold for optimum grip and user comfort
•Large diameter piston allows fast inflation
•20 in. hose with on-board storage clip
•2 in. easy-view pressure gauge for a quick reading
•Convenient accessory compartment for needle and nozzle accessories
•Compatible with any Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ battery
•Battery and charger sold separately
•3-year limited warranty
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

my viair kit came with about 10' of power cable and 25' of air hose. it easily reaches the rear tires on my suburban with length to spare. takes my tires for about 20psi to 65 in about 3 min.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the portable tanks of c02 but don't own one.  Seen waldo use his at a campout and the portability is nice.

my viair kit came with about 10' of power cable and 25' of air hose. it easily reaches the rear tires on my suburban with length to spare. takes my tires for about 20psi to 65 in about 3 min.

I think I own the same one.
I really like the threaded tip. Makes for a handy little hands free tool.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#38]
An old automotive AC compressor makes a pretty impressive air compressor...

Example here.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#39]
A suggestion...

The losses in the electrical wires at 12vdc is a lot more than the loss in a hose long enuf to reach all your tires...

So, it might be best to have short wires to clip to your battery and a hose long enough to reach the tires form the hood..

There's an extremely flexible urethane 1/4 or 3/8 hose that can fit in a small bag with the compressor.

Avail on eBay or hardware stores. We keep repair fittings in a plastic box with other accessories is case the hose is damaged.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's a pic of what we carry...

Used it enough to justify...

The CO2 cylinders and the small hose adapter asm I made up are my first go to...

CO2 stuff

The link

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=666737

Bags are from H-F

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I use a Warn Powerplant 12. Hard to beat that package. Added an air tank from an old air compressor, under the bed for more air  capacity. Really didn't need it except for I try to run my plasma cutter with it. It runs all the air tools you would ever want.

http://www.amazon.com/Warn-91801-PowerPlant-Compressor-Winch/dp/B00GN6Z2WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454958974&sr=8-1&keywords=warn+powerplant+12
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Here is a web page about installing an onboard system on a pickup.  He has some good ideas that might apply to any onboard system.  Or not, YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I expect the current viar fixed the short wires and short air hose.  Mine clamps onto the valve stem, it does not screw on.

I have to hold mine off the ground to read the air pressure gauge while it is running and it works fine.  On the ground it vibrates too much to tell what it is reading.

Overall it would not be hard to fix the issues mine has and the yellow air hose from my old air compressor could easily be used for added length so no biggy.

I have not read the link yet, but with the snow we just got I got to wondering if people ever drain their air tanks or not?  If you install something like that and use it often, or it has a leak and runs a lot, there could be moisture buildup and this sort of weather will cause things to freeze up.

A chunk of ice in the air tank, no biggy.  But if it gets to a valve or into a hose it could shut your system down til it thaws out.

Usually we are discussing plug kits for tires by now when air compressor threads come up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Just a few important words

1. Viair

2. Continuous duty

3. 2 1/2 gallon tank minimum
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

An old automotive AC compressor makes a pretty impressive air compressor...

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/images/onboard-air/Dcp_5160.jpg

Example here.
View Quote
I was wondering how long it would take for this to show up. Old school  and cheap, unlimited air.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The losses in the electrical wires at 12vdc is a lot more than the loss in a hose long enuf to reach all your tires...

So, it might be best to have short wires to clip to your battery and a hose long enough to reach the tires form the hood..
View Quote

I used thicker wire and Anderson Powerpole connectors to make a 12 volt "extension cord" for my Viair compressor.

As a bonus, this cord can also be used to power other 12 volt devices.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#47]
As a reasonably priced alternative to some posted here (although they all have their merits), look at the Viair 300P.  I have one for my FJ Cruiser and it does fine for the sized tires the truck has.  I came out of work one day with a flat tire, it took just a few minutes to air it up and get home.  It was almost funny how much of a non-issue it was.  It inflates the tires quickly and doesn't seem to heat up much at all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#48]
This thread reminded me of something I was lacking for my new truck:

(Sales listing photo since I'm still waiting for the .gov paperwork to clear to pick it up )

Ended up finding this for about $120, a military surplus version of an Extreme Outback compressor that is normally $450.

The pictures don't do it justice! This is a decent sized compressor!

Now, once I get the truck I need to figure out a location for an air tank, connection ports on the front and rear of the truck, and how to plumb the compressor intake into the truck's snorkel intake so it won't get water in it during deep water crossings.

My pump is 24v so it probably doesn't do you a ton of good OP but from what I read before buying, the Extreme Outback compressors are pretty well regarded so you may want to look into those.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Bit OT, but how much does a government surplus hummer run?

Doc

Quoted:
This thread reminded me of something I was lacking for my new truck:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc40/ryaneruck/HMMWV/488545_6002_160_0001_zpssgctmian.jpg

(Sales listing photo since I'm still waiting for the .gov paperwork to clear to pick it up )

Ended up finding this for about $120, a military surplus version of an Extreme Outback compressor that is normally $450.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc40/ryaneruck/HMMWV/air_compressor_extreme_outback_mil_zpsdu9aanlp.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice! This is a decent sized compressor!

Now, once I get the truck I need to figure out a location for an air tank, connection ports on the front and rear of the truck, and how to plumb the compressor intake into the truck's snorkel intake so it won't get water in it during deep water crossings.

My pump is 24v so it probably doesn't do you a ton of good OP but from what I read before buying, the Extreme Outback compressors are pretty well regarded so you may want to look into those.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bit OT, but how much does a government surplus hummer run?

Doc
View Quote

I paid $9,500 for the truck. It was $11,233 with tax, title, and buyer's fee plus I'll have fuel costs and trailer rental to pick it up.

To keep OP's thread on topic, feel free to come join us in this thread I started for more info!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1831291_So_You_Want_To_Buy_A_Surplus_HMMWV_Humvee___A_How_To_Guide.html

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top