Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2016 4:51:11 PM EDT
OK, these are always fun. I recently cleaned out a cache that I had set up years ago. If I read the date code correctly, they were canned December 23, 2002.The tins were stored in what I consider to be ideal conditions; 64-71 degrees f, 40% relative humidity, in a dark basement-like area. However, I was concerned to discover what appeared to be some sort of breach of the can as you can see by the white and brown precipitate at the metal seems of the can.

Well, decided to open the can, expecting the worst.

Honestly, it looked about as good as it probably ever did.

I cut it up and didn't find anything objectionable or any foul odors.

So, I prepared it my favorite way; fried in it's own fat until crispy.

We perform animal testing around here. For any PETA members, Test Subject #001 (aka ATOCHA) was a more than willing volunteer.

We both chowed down and it tasted fine with no ill effects. We finished the can eating it both heated and chilled over the course of 4 days and after a week, neither of us have been rushed to an Emergency Room.

So, the 13 year old tinned Corned Beef was fine despite the precipitate around the seems of the can. The powdery precipitate had a acidic and salty taste.

Tinned Corned Beef is a great item to add to a survival cache. It is cheap (often on sale for ~$1.00 per can) high protein, no fibre, compact calories that require no refrigeration (while canned) and no preparation (although it tastes much better heated IMHO).
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
of course you know a tape worm takes a bit of time to take hold and start reproducing don't you?

just kidding, my dad told of getting served canned rations during the Korean conflict that had been canned in '39.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What was the exp date stamped on the can?  I am glad it survived 14 years and still edible.  I have been buying similar at Aldi's with exp dates in the 2018 range.

Nice dog. I had a St Bernard just like that. Same color and short hair.  Dry mouth by chance?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was the exp date stamped on the can?  I am glad it survived 14 years and still edible.  I have been buying similar at Aldi's with exp dates in the 2018 range.

Nice dog. I had a St Bernard just like that. Same color and short hair.  Dry mouth by chance?
View Quote

No chance at all He drools worse than Cujo!

There was no printed "expiration date" on the can just a single date/time/plant code for production. According to Hormel, the contents are safe to consume indefinitely as long as the can remains uncompromised. However, they say the taste, color and texture may be affected after three years on the shelf. All three of my cans tasted the same as recent production Corned Beef from Hormel.

This wasn't really surprising but I was concerned with the white and brown precipitate that had leached from the seems of the can. I am guessing that this was the result of salts/nitrates from the processed meat that got trapped on the outside of the metal seem during the retort process.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Good post.  I have wondered what the actual 'good' dates may be rather than the 'no liability', stock, I'm not getting into trouble answers are .......my guess if properly packed, stored and treated well, most canned goods will last a very, very, very long time.  As an aside, I opened a jar of tomato sauce that I processed and canned in 2009:  good to go .......... but everything I have read including FDA information says use before 16 months.  Maybe lose some taste and nutritional value but ....... food is food.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
According to Hormel all their canned meat has indefinite storage life if in original container (obviously not if the can has been compromised).
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
So.... any adverse reactions??
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Dibs
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So.... any adverse reactions??
View Quote

Not even a tummy-ache and it looked and tasted the same as a recent production can I just opened.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
We used to test outdated canned goods by serving them to my mother-in-law, but she's gone now so................?    

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We used to test outdated canned goods by serving them to my mother-in-law, but she's gone now so................?    

View Quote

...due to?    
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

...due to?    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...due to?    

It's a joke!  We actually donate all are out of date food to a charity food drive every year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I like your tiny pan/giant fork combo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...We actually donate all are out of date food to a charity food drive every year.
View Quote

Food banks etc. won't use out of date food - they'll toss it in the trash.  If you really want to do some good in the world, give them almost out of date food...  that way they can actually use it!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#15]
The nose knows, if it is spoiled, you'll know it by the smell.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The nose knows, if it is spoiled, you'll know it by the smell.
View Quote

I shot a can of beans dated 1953, smelled and looked like canned beans, who knows maybe edible.  the corned beef, not so much
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top