Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2015 3:27:28 PM EDT
When there's a run on food. If you have anybody that is on the fence about prepping, show them some of the videos and ask a simple question - Do you want to be in that mix?

Within the next 9 months we will be moving out of the "Civilized World" and onto rural property in Southern Oregon. Can't come too soon for us.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

When there's a run on food. If you have anybody that is on the fence about prepping, show them some of the videos and ask a simple question - Do you want to be in that mix?

Within the next 9 months we will be moving out of the "Civilized World" and onto rural property in Southern Oregon. Can't come too soon for us.

View Quote

I'm thinking it wouldn't take much in the way in the way of perimeter defense to scatter those types of crowds.

I could be wrong though.  What gives me hope is when I watch videos of relief efforts in countries with severe drought and starvation.  People tend to stand in line and wait their turn.  Of course, those lines are often guarded by people with guns.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Others (perhaps Mark Dice) have pointed out how bad it will be when the dollar dies.  These bozos are fighting over non-essentials.  When the dollar dies, the essentials will take priority and if a store was smart, they'd run it like some of the stores I've seen in Third World Nations:  You walk up to the window, place your order, pay your money and the clerk brings your goods to you at the window.   It won't be pretty here and Black Friday does show the savageness of people.  

Do you have your 3 B's?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Others (perhaps Mark Dice) have pointed out how bad it will be when the dollar dies.  These bozos are fighting over non-essentials.  When the dollar dies, the essentials will take priority and if a store was smart, they'd run it like some of the stores I've seen in Third World Nations:  You walk up to the window, place your order, pay your money and the clerk brings your goods to you at the window.   It won't be pretty here and Black Friday does show the savageness of people.  

Do you have your 3 B's?
View Quote

kinda like a ghetto liquor store in Indy --38th Street East of the Fairgrounds---that I patronized a couple times.I would NOT do that today.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm thinking it wouldn't take much in the way in the way of perimeter defense to scatter those types of crowds.

I could be wrong though.  What gives me hope is when I watch videos of relief efforts in countries with severe drought and starvation.  People tend to stand in line and wait their turn.  Of course, those lines are often guarded by people with guns.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The powers that be in many places will be far more interested in coming after you than they are in going after the locusts.   They think it's safer - now, anyways.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not move to a state where you can pump your own gas?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The powers that be in many places will be far more interested in coming after you than they are in going after the locusts.   They think it's safer - now, anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those people you see standing in line and waiting their turn are from another society, another set of values.  In many cases, these societies were deprived for a long time, not spoiled like the uneducated and unappreciative youth of today's America.  

There is a portion of America where generations have been born and raised without values, without tradition and without a trained mind to think for themselves....they are stupid and emotional and prone to act out impulsively when they don't get what they want...and there are some that see no moral or ethical issue with taking whatever they want.  They expect no consequences and at times even feel entitled to everyone else's stuff.  There have no sense, no sense of honor and no sense of pride. They are led by the nose by anyone in authority that promises them something, whether it is logical or not.  When things go bad, they blame others and make rationalizations to justify their lawlessness.

Is it any wonder they will fight over tv sets and dolls?

If we ever do experience a more serious type of event and the essentials become scarce, these are the groups that will be devastated, one way or another.  They will become victims of their own societal model and value system...and I'll bid them good riddance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you have your 3 B's?
View Quote

What? Booze? Bacon? Bullets?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Those people you see standing in line and waiting their turn are from another society, another set of values.  In many cases, these societies were deprived for a long time, not spoiled like the uneducated and unappreciative youth of today's America.  

There is a portion of America where generations have been born and raised without values, without tradition and without a trained mind to think for themselves....they are stupid and emotional and prone to act out impulsively when they don't get what they want...and there are some that see no moral or ethical issue with taking whatever they want.  They expect no consequences and at times even feel entitled to everyone else's stuff.  There have no sense, no sense of honor and no sense of pride. They are led by the nose by anyone in authority that promises them something, whether it is logical or not.  When things go bad, they blame others and make rationalizations to justify their lawlessness.

If we ever do experience a more serious type of event and the essentials become scarce, these are the groups that will be devastated, one way or another.  They will become victims of their own societal model and value system...and I'll bid them good riddance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looting will stop when there's nothing left on the shelves Just wait it out...shit will either recover or go further down the tubes - in which case you'll be relatively safe in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Why not move to a state where you can pump your own gas?
View Quote

Not GD, but I'll reply anyway. Family BOL is near an Indian reservation. We pump our own gas there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Looting will stop when there's nothing left on the shelves Just wait it out...shit will either recover or go further down the tubes - in which case you'll be relatively safe in the woods.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm set. I'm just thinking these videos could be a teaching tool for those that aren't.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
You mean that 60" TV that was on sale isn't going to help me?

Oh c'mon I fought through the hordes and waited for days.... Even took off of work to get that extra few dollars to go spend down at the Lotto & Smoke store.

They will keep looting then looting from those that have looted from others and after a while they will see those nice homes up on the hill.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth and wisdom right here.  Many of us have seen it playing out, already.  We will be seeing worse.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is absolutely spot on and couldn't be more accurate.  For those in the habit of making the right choices, acting civil, and taking precautions (prepping), these types of individuals are the unfortunate "enemy".  You can't reason with people like these and some will only respond to lethal threats.  We don't even consider shopping on after Thanksgiving and we avoid the stupid crowds.  This is just a snapshot of how people will react and it will be exponentially worse when they are actually in need.  We have a whole generation of entitled citizens and they have unrealistic expectations and if they don't get what they want or what they feel is deserved, they will riot and create chaos.  

Stay prepared, stay aware of your surroundings, recognize the signs when to evacuate potential areas of increasing hostility and know which is the alpha in the pack to put down first.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I use the .22 ammo shortage analogy to describe what a food shortage would be like.

Arguably, maybe 10% of the population (probably a lot less) are driving this shortage of .22 ammo. It has been three years since a box of .22 has sat on a shelf over night and that is with a tiny fraction of the country participating in the buying frenzy.

Now imagine if this attention ever was focused on food. There would be nearly 100% of the population participating in the panic buying and stores would sell out within hours.

You will not live long enough to see a loaf of bread sit on a shelf over night. Maybe the next generation will but not anyone currently alive.

Food is everywhere right now.  Plentiful and relatively inexpensive. You would be very foolish not to have a cushion of supplies put back for just in case.

My opinion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#16]
You are right op and this is a good discussion.  But I have one question.  Why do you feel the need to get anyone off the fence at all?

I am not knocking you.  Just curious.  I don't speak of preps or my survival plans etc to anyone other than close family and then the topic of preparedness is very very very rarely discussed.  They know I do it and I know they either do or don't.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Black Friday store rushes and violence certainly is something unique in society.  

When you really think about it, its almost impossible to duplicate in a real survival situation.  By the stores artificially creating the crisis and more importantly controlling the timing, its all so surreal.  Its almost impossible to come up with a survival scenario that has that many people rushing to the store at that exact timing and then waiting on the doors to open.  It throws "If you can think of it, 1,000 others already have"  to the wind.  

The problem is any scenario that has warning, the timing would be staggered.and any scenario without warning, the store will not be most people first thought.  About anyone who's ever lived through a direct hit hurricane can tell you, "It'll all be gone before you think of even going to the store."  Anybodies who's ever lived through a tornado can tell you, "Gee I need batteries for my flashlight" is not your first priority."  

You want to be scared?  Those people aren't fighting over that 60" TV.  That's almost understandable, almost. That's not what they are fighting over.  They're fighting over a perceived slight.  Its not about that TV or whatever anymore.  Its that perceived slight that gives the relative morality lot in life the excuse their moral justification for what they know there is none.  That "slight" is more often than not preconceived and crosses boundaries that rational people can't believe.  There's economic, racial, gender, and ethnic reasons.  You don't have to say a thing, do a thing, to be a target.  

What I'm getting at here guys is the problem is this relative morality thing to start with, this putting emotions before all else, and its the same thing that prevents people from putting food back.  They don't want to have to deal with the emotional reality of they may need it.  I mean really a bag of rice or block of Ramen noodles is chump change.  The cost really isn't the issue.  

You see the problem is not convincing someone they should prep but are they worth convincing?  It's like the "Why should I prep?  Things go bad, I'm coming to your house."  That coming to your house can be quite problematic depending on who.  

Finding someone you can help along that's already made the decision is pretty easy.  Finding someone who hasn't made the decision but will is like finding gold in a creek bed.  More likely than not, you going to have to mine that hole for years.  

Last years blizzard, watching my nephew run out to pay a premium to buy a generator, use the auxiliary heat and lighting I gave him, the 4x4 I bought to rush out and buy food, then post about how prepared he was on Facebook, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  The whole time, we didn't have anything to post about.  Those first days, we just sat at home, warm and fed. I've been mining that gold mine for three decades now.  

Good luck finding the who to show those tapes to.

Tj

View Quote

This is good stuff.  But isn't the whole Black Friday thing driven by pure greed?  As opposed to a true survival situation, where behavior will be driven by pure need?

That's what prepping is all about, isn't it?  'Having' when others who did not prepare are 'needing.'

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is good stuff.  But isn't the whole Black Friday thing driven by pure greed?  As opposed to a true survival situation, where behavior will be driven by pure need?

That's what prepping is all about, isn't it?  'Having' when others who did not prepare are 'needing.'

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black Friday store rushes and violence certainly is something unique in society.  

When you really think about it, its almost impossible to duplicate in a real survival situation.  By the stores artificially creating the crisis and more importantly controlling the timing, its all so surreal.  Its almost impossible to come up with a survival scenario that has that many people rushing to the store at that exact timing and then waiting on the doors to open.  It throws "If you can think of it, 1,000 others already have"  to the wind.  

The problem is any scenario that has warning, the timing would be staggered.and any scenario without warning, the store will not be most people first thought.  About anyone who's ever lived through a direct hit hurricane can tell you, "It'll all be gone before you think of even going to the store."  Anybodies who's ever lived through a tornado can tell you, "Gee I need batteries for my flashlight" is not your first priority."  

You want to be scared?  Those people aren't fighting over that 60" TV.  That's almost understandable, almost. That's not what they are fighting over.  They're fighting over a perceived slight.  Its not about that TV or whatever anymore.  Its that perceived slight that gives the relative morality lot in life the excuse their moral justification for what they know there is none.  That "slight" is more often than not preconceived and crosses boundaries that rational people can't believe.  There's economic, racial, gender, and ethnic reasons.  You don't have to say a thing, do a thing, to be a target.  

What I'm getting at here guys is the problem is this relative morality thing to start with, this putting emotions before all else, and its the same thing that prevents people from putting food back.  They don't want to have to deal with the emotional reality of they may need it.  I mean really a bag of rice or block of Ramen noodles is chump change.  The cost really isn't the issue.  

You see the problem is not convincing someone they should prep but are they worth convincing?  It's like the "Why should I prep?  Things go bad, I'm coming to your house."  That coming to your house can be quite problematic depending on who.  

Finding someone you can help along that's already made the decision is pretty easy.  Finding someone who hasn't made the decision but will is like finding gold in a creek bed.  More likely than not, you going to have to mine that hole for years.  

Last years blizzard, watching my nephew run out to pay a premium to buy a generator, use the auxiliary heat and lighting I gave him, the 4x4 I bought to rush out and buy food, then post about how prepared he was on Facebook, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  The whole time, we didn't have anything to post about.  Those first days, we just sat at home, warm and fed. I've been mining that gold mine for three decades now.  

Tj

Greed is simply percieved need mixed with fear and competitive eagerness.

The hype around Seasonal shopping creates a fervor in the mind of some...and fueled by a competitive desire to get "that thing" that they need, issues occur along the way.  I attribute a lot of this to people no longer being taught manners.  So...real and imagined transgressions occur.  The illiterati, who also lack critical thinking and conflict resolution skills to match their mediocre education and emotional control, start to mix it up and nobody knows how to de-escalate.  More idiots join the chorus...result? Wally World erupts into chaos, people get hurt.  Often not the people who deserve to get hurt unfortunately.

So now think of a scenario wher the perceived need is for a loaf of bread or the last case of bottled water or baby food....think of the perceived need there.  The anxiety and adrenaline.  Bad things gonna happen.

Lessons Learned:
1) Teach your kids, and other's kids if you can, the values and skills necessary for surviving and thriving in today's world as well as tomorrow's
2) Have a strong personal core and don't let yourself be driven by someone else's hidden agenda.  Think and act critically
3) Don't let yourself be drawn into a conflict based on emotion or competition or a perceived transgression
4) Know how to avoid and de-escalate if necessary, efficiently and effectively deal with a threat if you can't
5) Overall, enjoy good times, prepare for tough times and stay away from stupid people
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks to everyone for the food for thought! Can't ever stockpile too much knowledge!

Regarding the list of people to show the videos to, my list only has two people; my brother and his wife. They believe that things will never get bad here in the states. They eat out almost every meal and buy "fresh" food when they do cook at home. He is wealthy, but it is all on paper. He rarely carries cash and could not last 2 days on the food he has at home. To me, he is worth trying to convince.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for the food for thought! Can't ever stockpile too much knowledge!

Regarding the list of people to show the videos to, my list only has two people; my brother and his wife. They believe that things will never get bad here in the states. They eat out almost every meal and buy "fresh" food when they do cook at home. He is wealthy, but it is all on paper. He rarely carries cash and could not last 2 days on the food he has at home. To me, he is worth trying to convince.
View Quote

If TSHTF, he'll likely loose his wealth [if he doesn't take steps to protect it]

Before we all lose our food...

Trying to convince him, is likely going to result in little progress, and if it ever comes to shortages, he'll probably be at your door asking for his 'fair share' of your stuff.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think American Blackout (on youtube) may be a good one to have him watch.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wait in those lines until they don't. Things don't get hairy all at once.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The hype around Seasonal shopping creates a fervor in the mind of some...and fueled by a competitive desire to get "that thing" that they need, issues occur along the way.  I attribute a lot of this to people no longer being taught manners.  So...real and imagined transgressions occur.  The illiterati, who also lack critical thinking and conflict resolution skills to match their mediocre education and emotional control, start to mix it up and nobody knows how to de-escalate.  More idiots join the chorus...result? Wally World erupts into chaos, people get hurt.  Often not the people who deserve to get hurt unfortunately.

So now think of a scenario wher the perceived need is for a loaf of bread or the last case of bottled water or baby food....think of the perceived need there.  The anxiety and adrenaline.  Bad things gonna happen.

Lessons Learned:
1) Teach your kids, and other's kids if you can, the values and skills necessary for surviving and thriving in today's world as well as tomorrow's
2) Have a strong personal core and don't let yourself be driven by someone else's hidden agenda.  Think and act critically
3) Don't let yourself be drawn into a conflict based on emotion or competition or a perceived transgression
4) Know how to avoid and de-escalate if necessary, efficiently and effectively deal with a threat if you can't
5) Overall, enjoy good times, prepare for tough times and stay away from stupid people
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tj

Lessons Learned:

Bravo, Sir! Very, very well stated.

Great thread!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any links to specific videos?
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you sir(s) for the kind comments...

Recommended watching: Requiem for Detroit - this shows how inner city Detroit went from thriving to burnout, including video of black panther snipers shooting at people, riots, and national guard shooting folks...shows the current burnout of square miles and miles....it's awesome and completely non-fictional.

LINK REMOVED

I would also watch Cartel Land with them.  It tells a story of how the cartels have decimated Mexican society and how it is spilling over into the US now.    I can only provide a link to the trailer, but you'll get the idea and I believe the film is now available on demand with AT&T.

Cartel Land Trailer

Speak to them gently and a little at a time...discuss current events, but don't extrapolate too much or they'll think you're crazy. Mix the good with the bad. The more current the events the better.  The latest active shooter scenarios in CO and CA.. what would they expect to happen if someone came to their workplace?  Winter weather, etc....what would they do if the power/heat went out for a couple days?  Take the guy shooting....rich guys love to buy guns once they get into it....

Anyway, go really slow or you'll lose them.  It took me years before my grown children started showing signs of having listened...they are not full blown preppers but they have the skills and have a base level of preparedness.  The first wife never came around, the second wife gets it though

And I just realized I never answered your original question:  There is nobody specific.  People who show interest and capability I share my knowledge with...others I don't.

Be safe out there everyone.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#27]
The simple issue of discipline (the ability to put personal needs aside and 'do the right thing') appears to be mostly dead in this country.  As opposed to other postings here by those who 'get it', our society of immediate gratification and 'feelings' over rules a long history of moral values (the secular society had now taken over), and the belief in traditional values (which vary) appears to be dead (or at least dying).  These things are not immediately learned or developed and to that end, with a (more or less) sudden collapse of society (however that comes about) will usher in terrible times for most.  Let's hope that those few who do pay attention, have prepared for tough times and otherwise carry 'older' traditions can band together and hang tough.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#28]
video not loading....
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
video not loading....
View Quote

I'm not trusting that link....I removed it..but you can just Google Requiem for Detroit.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top