Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 9:24:48 PM EDT
Wood Burning Stove Insert or Natural Gas Logs Insert.
Betting this has been covered before, if so and u have a link plz share.
Thanks in Advance!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]

from a survival standpoint, wood is better.

from a convenience standpoint, gas is better.

If you get your wood for  free or almost free and you don't mind splitting it, wood is much cheaper.

I see you live in SC. if your AO doesn't have much of a cold winter, you probably wont use a cord of wood a year. that's a little more than a heaping 8 foot truck bed worth, give or take.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
For SC, get a heat pump.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Have an electronic heat pump/AC unit less than 8 years old. Looking to supplement and whatever in Power Down/ice storm.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
No natural gas availability where I am, so it's wood or diesel for heat and wood is my primary heat source.

Due to a windstorm last week I had no electricity for 4 days but I had a warm house.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
This is Arfcom...  Get both!

In all reality considering your AO, I would choose a wood stove.  We have consistent below zero temps in the winter and heat with wood.  Of course having a modern insulated home and modern functioning wood stove make it much more efficient.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
We burn a lot of wood, but I think our winters are a lot different here.  We light it in November and it goes out early April.  

do you already have a chimney?  If not go gas.  Chimneys are expensive for only occasional use.  If you do have one but don't use it, I'd get an inspection before you made the final decision.  It could be unsafe or need expensive repairs.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Since you are SPECIFICALLY looking for a power outage/weather SHTF heat source, wood is the only logical choice.

Gas you are still 100% utility dependent. If you have to go gas, go propane. At least you store your own fuel.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you already have a chimney?  If not, it's gonna cost you some money.  

Do you have a wood source?  What's your time worth to you?  If you have to buy wood, it's probably not going to be cheaper than gas.  

The nice thing about wood is as long as the chimney is in good shape and you have a source of wood, you'll have heat.  Gas is a very reliable utility...but it's not 100% reliable.  Years ago I had a house that was heated with natural gas.  One Thanksgiving Day I woke up to a cold house.  Checked the furnace and the pilot light was out.  Tried to light it and it didn't light.  Checked the meter and there was no gas pressure.  Called the gas company and they came out.  Turned out it was a defective meter.  So, point is natural gas can fail too.  

I'm building a house and we are putting in a triple wall stainless chimney and a wood stove.  The main heat source of the house will be a dual fuel propane furnace/heat pump.  We do want a wood stove in the basement as a backup heat source as well as a supplemental heat source when it's cold out but I have zero intention of heating my house full time with heat unless absolutely necessary.  I had wood heat as the primary heat as  kid and I don't miss it at all.  If you value your time, wood isn't cheaper to heat with.  If your time has no value, then wood heat MIGHT be cheaper to heat with as long as you have a close, free source of wood.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks in Advance!
View Quote

Quoted:
Thanks in Advance!
View Quote

Solar, as in ...

1)Not needing heating in the first place. Granted, not always possible but man is it nice to go to the beach and toast a bit under the sun while others worry about heating.
2) Second best option. In places where winter gets cold, passive solar heating means the design of the house itself heats as needed. This is of course the most cost officient form of heating. You will need an architect to get it right, and build a house from zero, all that costs money, but then you have no aditional cost. I know of a home in the south of Chile (gets pretty cold) where pasive solar is all they ever need.
3)Using the most reliable fuel. This may not always be the most cost effective, and maybe its not a good option for everyday, but for survival purposes you want something you can count on. Example, say electricity is cheap wherever it is that you are, Id still want to have a kero heater even if its more expensive because that I can count on while all it takes is a snow storm or blackout to leave me freezing.
4)Using the most cost effective fuel. If you produce your own wood, then thats probably your best option, but then again you have to balance it with how much it costs you in terms of money/time. Here's where a lot of people will be well served by a combined setup using both gas and wood.
But answering your question, Id say gas is in general is more practical and more cost effective (unless its particularly expensive in your area) while wood is a bit more time consuming, more messy and higher maintenance but more reliable during long term disasters.
FeFAL
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
i have a forced air gas furnace, i added a auxiliary wood furnace and cut my gas bills by 2/3, since the chimney was already there, all i had to do is to get the wood furnace on sale in the spring, and have a furnace guy add it to the duct work, sure keeps the house toasty and  good to know that i have back up heat. since i use it regularly it has paid for itself over the years.

us stove
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Um... FerFal i see a big minus care to repost this post is vailid to my interests and you input is appreciated :)
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
little moar info:

Home built in 1979, brick ranch situated North to South.  Brick fireplace (HUGE) built with home.  New'ish heat pump, smallish wood stove insert.

Nat Gas is a new line, $300 tap fee.  $300 refunded once you install a gas burning appliance.  

FIL is a builder and has a Nice Vented Insert (NG Logs) that I can install (free) to absorb the NG tap fee.  Hot Water heater will need to be replaced in a year or so...he also has a HW Heater (NIB) that I can have (free)

The Craft brand stove I have is Tiny compared to the Opening (it's installed properly and burns fine-but it's small size makes it tough to heat with) not to mention I have a very minimal amount of wood on site to burn (cut/split)

our electricity is from a Co-op and seems very expensive....I'm hoping to offset that expense with an alternate heating source....a supplemental source.

thanks!

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

little moar info:

Home built in 1979, brick ranch situated North to South.  Brick fireplace (HUGE) built with home.  New'ish heat pump, smallish wood stove insert.

Nat Gas is a new line, $300 tap fee.  $300 refunded once you install a gas burning appliance.  

FIL is a builder and has a Nice Vented Insert (NG Logs) that I can install (free) to absorb the NG tap fee.  Hot Water heater will need to be replaced in a year or so...he also has a HW Heater (NIB) that I can have (free)

The Craft brand stove I have is Tiny compared to the Opening (it's installed properly and burns fine-but it's small size makes it tough to heat with) not to mention I have a very minimal amount of wood on site to burn (cut/split)

our electricity is from a Co-op and seems very expensive....I'm hoping to offset that expense with an alternate heating source....a supplemental source.

thanks!

View Quote
how much is your electric bill a month in winter?

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The happiest days in my life were the days my sons were born, and the day gas was brought into our neighborhood.  I heated with wood for several years, and it was a challenge.  Now, I have a clicker and when a want to build a small fire, I click twice.  When I want a bigger fire, I click four times.  If you get a vented fire insert, the flames look like a wood fire.  Love it...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]
$250/mo last winter (eta: 1690 sq. ft.)
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#16]
1) Go gas for tap fee refund.  
2) Set up logs with some fittings that would be easy to remove/install when you want.  
3) Update water heater when you are ready.  
4) Axe FIL to hook you up with a high efficiency gas furnace.  
5) Get wood ()when you get time over the next year.  Axe the ( or forget to tell them you have gas () Lekturk Company if you can keep your all electric rate to save money,.  
6) Use heat pump until the outside temp reaches the strip heater set point.  
7) Then use gas.  

SHTF - We have lost electricity 4 times in two years.  Have not lost gas yet.
TEOTWAWKI - SOB (save one bullet)

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

for an all electric house, that's not bad.

I have 1000 sq ft house, insulated. elec hot water, gas range and furnace. I burn wood at least 3 nights a week.

gas bills in winter are $110

electric bills in winter are $100

total of $210 and its a 2/3 the size of yours.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Wood.  Besides wood, you can burn most trash (no metals or plastic).
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
What would be the approximate cost of having a  chimney put in for a wood stove?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]
wood will heat your home more efficiently.

gas will heat your home more conveniently.

poll fail!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
wood will heat your home more efficiently.

gas will heat your home more conveniently.

poll fail!
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have 1000 sq ft house, insulated. elec hot water, gas range and furnace. I burn wood at least 3 nights a week.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are $350-$400 in the winter, and our heating electricity is half price (duel fuel program). All electric house, 1400sqft, but old/drafty.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:01:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Any gas fireplace needs to have a fan/blower for any kind of efficiency. Lots of really nice ventless types now but most don't include the fan assembly. Universal fans are 1/10th the cost over the factory units.

Wood is just a giant pain in the ass to deal with. On top of that, they are starting to link all kinds of health problems (cancer) from fireplace wood smoke. And the last reason is FIRE outside the fireplace. Very common for all kinds of reasons.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have an electronic heat pump/AC unit less than 8 years old. Looking to supplement and whatever in Power Down/ice storm.
View Quote

At first I was going to say Nat. gas, then I saw this.

Go wood.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#25]
We have a wood stove in the house, and we used it until I was able to install an outdoor wood stove.  The outdoor wood stove uses a small amount of electric, as do the circulator pumps, but it is convenient and keeps the house much cleaner.  It heats both our hot water and our house, and I would buy it again.  We do have free wood available on our property, and I have boys to carry it.  This helps a lot.

We do not have natural gas available, nor do I see it becoming available in the future.  We could use propane, and it is inexpensive right now, but as taxes will increase on gas production, I would expect it to increase.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:11:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd say natural gas with somehow having wood as an option in an extreme case of natural disaster or any other reason your NG supply is compromised.

I want wood heat so bad for the sheer purpose of saying I don't rely on some gas company for the ability to heat my house.  

However, my sinus issues will never let me have an inside wood burning stove and the outside units are too darned expensive to justify.  Plus, you still need some form of electricity to circulate the water defeating my desire for a way to heat the house if nothing else.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I buy wood now that I'm old and can't cut the 6 cords needed to heat this old farmhouse anymore. Over the last 4 years that I've been buying wood I've paid anywhere from $40 per rick to $50 per rick delivered to my barn. I bought 20 ricks this summer for $900 and that will get me through almost two years of winters.

No way could I heat this house with gas or electricity for even twice that much money. I'll burn wood until I can't lift it anymore.

eta, I've heated with wood exclusively for over 30 years now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd do both...  it'll make the wood/gas last longer and you'll have heat without power

Wood... lots of work,  doesn't need electricity to heat your house

Gas ...  easy, doesn't work with out power (may need generator as back up)

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I think I read this all wrong.  This:

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

and this:

Quoted:

....I'm hoping to offset that expense with an alternate heating source....a supplemental source.

At the time seemed different to me.  Occasional emergency heat vs a supplemental source to reduce monthly costs.  

Wood will absolutely be cheaper if you already have a chimney and wood stove.  It'll heat the house much more evenly if it's in the basement and the heat can rise through the rest of the house.  Slower to warm, but much more even (and cleaner for your primary living space).

I've never had gas logs.  The idea of a clean-burning fire at the push of a button is appealing, but I don't think it'd save you any money in the long run if used regularly.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd do both...  it'll make the wood/gas last longer and you'll have heat without power

Wood... lots of work,  doesn't need electricity to heat your house

Gas ...  easy, doesn't work with out power (may need generator as back up)

View Quote

I'd like to add that a nat gas fireplace does not need electricity. We have a vent-less type that has been used during several outages over the years, that worked very well. 2800 sq ft house. Plenty of heat, had to duty cycle the fireplace to prevent us from getting too hot. Yes, heat wasn't as nicely distributed throughout the house, like the gaspack would do, but it wasn't too bad. The house has a very open floor plan. We had a myriad of CO detectors running, and not a peep. Turned it off while we slept.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Pretty bad ice storm came through here in '08.  Our power was out for a week, others were out for 2-3.  My parents had a ventless NG fireplace and the thing was wonderful.  

I do worry if we'll have the same results if the New Madrid decides to let go!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top