Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2015 2:37:50 AM EDT
If there were a major, nationwide disaster, what short wave radio stations would you recommend to listen to for information?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.  Good question.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
any radio that has HF, UHF & VHF bands and have a good  anntenna for receiving and broadcasting.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You could/should spend hours in here reading:

http://forums.radioreference.com/utility-listening/
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally speaking the BBC is the gold standard for information.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
For shortwave, there are few US-based broadcasters and nearly all are
religious, so there will be very few local stations providing useful information.

Sadly due to the internet the number of good broadcasters has dropped a lot,
but here is a listing that's kept up to date of english broadcasts., most of which
do not aim signals at the US.

Your best bet will be to listen for BBC, Voice of America, and AFRTS. Of those I'd probably only
trust the BBC, and even that with a grain of salt, if something serious were happening.

The NOAA weather radio network has been expanded -- a lot -- in the past few years, so that'd be
a good bet, along with AM radio stations. My plan is to monitor AM/FM stations if they're operational,
NOAA, and the scanner, but I'm in areas where a scanner with trunking provides usable information.

You can also listen for ham shortwave transmissions if your radio is SSB capable, I bet a lot of
information will be available in the initial stages of a disaster this way. When Katrina hit, ham HF was
the one thing that reliably worked -- especially considering FEMA was actually trying to cut phone lines,
not repair them.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I work at AFRTS and have for the last almost 20 years and there is no censorship or modification done of the shows gathered from the major commercial US radio networks that we re-broadcast.

Doesn't happen. So if you can trust ABC or FOX radio's sources that's who we use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your best bet will be to listen for BBC, Voice of America, and AFRTS. Of those I'd probably only trust the BBC, and even that with a grain of salt, if something serious were happening.

I work at AFRTS and have for the last almost 20 years and there is no censorship or modification done of the shows gathered from the major commercial US radio networks that we re-broadcast.

Doesn't happen. So if you can trust ABC or FOX radio's sources that's who we use.

Glad to hear it from the source. I know they changed the rules with the Smith-Mundt Modernization Act of 2012 so there's been some concern.
It looks like the shortwave distribution of AFRTS is down to just two stations, which is sad. I remember listening to it quite often in the 70s/80s
as an alternate source.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
TJ's got a good point which brings up a VHF/UHF scanner. While HF can get you 100's to 1000's of miles, VHS/UHF is local. You'll be able to listen to local HAM's and most PSAP's (911 centers) still initial dispatch on VHF due to FD pagers.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have to agree with my old friend from TN.  Local news will be far more valuable during most events than a world sitrep.  Local comms are a necessity,, and phomes and cell service quickly overload and cease to function.  If you are using radio, a big honkin. antenna can make even a cheap little radio work like a champ.  a 21 ft tall yagi would pull in stuff from many miles away.

ops
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless it's a global zombie apocalypse short wave is probably not going to be valuable.  You may get a short headline on BBC, but not much useful information.  As others have said, local ham traffic is going to provide more more information than global services.  HF (High Frequency) is best for medium to long range communications . . . hundreds to thousands of miles, and isn't used a lot for localized emergencies.  VHF and UHF bands are by far the backbone bands for local stuff.  Even when repeaters are down, simplex (direct radio-to-radio) traffic will be heard.  

If your area is like mine, most law enforcement agencies have switched to digital systems which render most scanners useless.

My strong recommendation is to get your ham license, at least the Technician level.  This will let you communicate and not just listen if you really need to.  In the meantime you could get one of the inexpensive handheld radios and listen to the local ham traffic, even though you can't legally transmit.  Most of those HTs (handi-talkie) radios will also scan local public safety frequencies just like dedicated scanners.  There are some that receive HF bands as well.

ETA: Listening to short wave stations is fun in any case.  Radio Havana Cuba has some of the best oldies.  For national emergencies I would still rely more on broadcast stations than short wave for general information and ham bands for remedies for gout, weather updates, and, of course, reports on what was good at the local buffet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
You are no longer going to hear the BBC on shortwave anymore, they stopped broadcasting.

All US based shortwave broadcasters that I am aware of are religious in nature.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You are no longer going to hear the BBC on shortwave anymore, they stopped broadcasting.
View Quote

Not true.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
SirusXM radio

SirusXM used to be outstanding in providing useful information in large scale emergencies. Now not so much.

Sirius XM Weather & Emergency was a free satellite radio channel dedicated to providing critical, updated information before, during and after natural disasters, weather emergencies and other hazardous incidents as well as AMBER Alerts to listeners across North America. The channel was also affiliated with The Weather Channel. It was normally a low bitrate channel, but bitrate was raised in case of widespread emergencies. The channel number, 247 on XM, is a reference to the term 24/7, the old name of the channel XM Emergency Alert.

As a promotional channel, it was available from any XM or Sirius radio without a subscription (which is required by law as part of the Emergency Alert System, which they are required to take part in).

These channels were discontinued during November of 2010.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_XM_Weather_%26_Emergency

SiriusXM Emergency Alert System

SiriusXM Satellite Radio keeps its listeners informed about emergencies in a variety of ways. For instance, SiriusXM provides nationwide alerts from the Emergency Alert System (EAS) on all of its channels and information specific to 20 major metropolitan markets on its Traffic and Weather channels (SiriusXM 132 - 140).
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The local television stations usually provide far more useful and detailed information during an emergency than the local radio stations.
The tv stations will almost always have a larger news department with far more resources than even the largest news radio stations.
You just need to be able to receive the signal with a digital receiver. Battery powered ones are now available, or you can use your smaller LED sets that are powered by 12 volts or a receiver for your laptop.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

listening to BBC on 15.420mhz on my TS-480Hx mobile

sitting the the parking lot, waiting to take my wife to lunch

about S-5-7 on my Tarheel II antenna
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#17]
For those that have set up digital scanners for local agencies, what prevents the agencies from changing things or getting new equipment that cannot be listened to?
I'd love to be able to hear the local police broadcasts, especially in an emergency, but I don't want to spend the money if they are going to end up super secret.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For those that have set up digital scanners for local agencies, what prevents the agencies from changing things or getting new equipment that cannot be listened to?
I'd love to be able to hear the local police broadcasts, especially in an emergency, but I don't want to spend the money if they are going to end up super secret.

View Quote

Money

If they already have crypto capability then they can throw the switch but many haven't purchased it at all. If it's not encrypted now and there have been no plans of upgrading the system in the local news it's likely a safe bet it won't go encrypted any time soon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:03:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

WBCQ isn't religious, though a lot of people who buy time from them are.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I got the standard grundig frxyz years back..It goes on camping trips..hunting trips etc. Today with smart phones its not needed in that context.
But it is cool..near a campfire to tune in a totally different countries broadcast and have you kid start asking questions vs beibg plugged into an ipod.

I picked up a bell howell 7 channel world band radio...lil tiny thing at a yard sale for 5$ just because it had more channels than the grundig.

Broadcast radio is dying just like news print.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top