Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
30 gallons in 5 gal. tanks 7 kept in my genny 5 in my lawn mower.  I keep my truck and Suzuki sidekick pretty full if I get to 1/2 they get filled.  I stabilize the fuel and I rotate it threw every few months.  I keep my lawnmower and my genny  full, they are each started and ran every mo and then re-topped off.  I store because if gives me peace of mind.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
None.

I do store 20 gallons of diesel for my rig. Stored in 5 gallon Nate fuel cans. The reason for this is because in any kind of emergency situation, my vehicle would be the one used. So it was my first priority to get that squared away.

I intend to increase the amount of diesel I have, as well I would like to add some gasoline for genny/the SOs vehicle. Funds will dictate how long that will take to accomplish
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
measured in time or miles.

Two weeks of generator fuel (3 hrs per day) split between gasoline and 20lb propane tanks.

If only I could find the guy who czared CARB cans into existence.
View Quote

Yes those people are idiots and dangerous ones as the carb cans demonstrate. Forget them and get the Metal Nato Cans.
(wavian / valpro etc.). You'll never regret it.
The plastic NATO MFC containers have their fans. I don't have any because the metal ones give me zero reason to change. They are rugged, do not leak, not even fumes.

For 'hand outs' to neighbors etc. ,I do have a couple of (empty) plastic cheapos. So I can be generous and not garner any 'looks' for having Army stuff.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It changes depending on where I move.

In the colder climates it was keeping the heaters going in the winter, now its keeping the gennies going on the summer for the A/C plus lights for the ghetto goblins.

I don't keep gas for the SHTF bug out fantasy that some do. Trying to be Mad max  is laughable
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your mindset?

It changes depending on where I move.

In the colder climates it was keeping the heaters going in the winter, now its keeping the gennies going on the summer for the A/C plus lights for the ghetto goblins.

I don't keep gas for the SHTF bug out fantasy that some do. Trying to be Mad max  is laughable

So you keep supplies for emergencies, winter heat or summer a/c / electricity and that's ok, but someone who keeps fuel for transportation is laughable?
No one wants to bug out - its a last resort, but it can happen. Its called being flexible / adaptable.
Would you have stayed in New Orleans for Katrina? Maybe an earthquake or tornado that is bad enough that there will be no power (or even a roof over your head) for many weeks? What if the grid is down and fuel cannot be pumped or moved? What if you had family, children and elderly that they would be better off evacuated to a safer area? How can you judge what others may need to do for THEIR situation or their area? That is laughable.
What about a 'week in' and someone gets hurt and needs to go to the hospital that is far away? And you did not keep 10, 20 or 30 gallons for such a contingency? Six fricking Jerry cans.... What are you doing on this forum? That is laughable.
I lived during two 'gas crisis'. One in '73 and one in '79'
The Arabs suddenly cut us off. People sat in lines for hours to fill up. This went on for weeks. And of course the price shot up a shocking percentage. The whole NATION was stunned and in shock. It crushed our economy. It is why there is a strategic petroleum reserve today.
Now if someone is storing large amounts it may be for their farm or business so they can keep operating and their employees can continue to work.
We all know tons of people who would describe having food on hand, some water, guns and ammunition or even having money as being nuts (laughable). Who needs an AR15 or any gun after all? All that's laughable.
People should only be concerned with storing only what can be safely stored and what does not put them in financial distress to have purchased.
Just like a generator, some food, some money - some fuel is just a buffer for rough times.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Why do you guys dislike stabil and PRI-G? Why is it snake oil? Does gas last longer with it or not?

Also, my old 5 gal cans vented and made my garage stink like gas. My new overpriced cans don't vent and my garage doesn't smell anymore. Why should I hate the new cans, other than the fact that they were $20 each?

Not trying to debate - I want to learn.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why do you guys dislike stabil and PRI-G? Why is it snake oil? Does gas last longer with it or not?

Also, my old 5 gal cans vented and made my garage stink like gas. My new overpriced cans don't vent and my garage doesn't smell anymore. Why should I hate the new cans, other than the fact that they were $20 each?

View Quote

Stabil is the brand I use.  I don't have scientific evidence that it does anything to help preserve my gas.  I can't debate if it's necessary.  

7'ish years ago, my weed eater would not start after a winter storage.  I topped off the 2 cycle fuel and it still would not start.  My neighbor was/is a small engine tinkerer and looked at it, then returned it with his 2 cycle gas and the advice to use Stabil in my 2 cycle gas can.  I did and it has not failed me since.

Snake Oil is a term of that I use as a 'wink and a nod' to other members here (that I respect for being very knowledgeable) that doubt it's relevancy for protecting gas in the long term.  Most would agree that a proper container is the most important factor in gas storage.

I use fuel stabilizer and carb cleaner as a safety blanket and talisman to keep my fuel ready for me and my family.  I use it.  I recommend that is has done no harm except make my wallet lighter.  

Let the record show that I am a smart-ass rather than a smart man.

IMO-
AR15
45ACP
Sta-bil
Chili with beans
Champion Generator
Hoarding ammo
Pinto beans
Jif

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't use the fuel stabilizers because I cycle my gasoline on a regular basis. I added 100 gallons to the 100 gallons already in the tank last week and will start using it in a few weeks.  I replenish after two fillings of my truck.  That keeps about 50 gallons cycling every month.

If it looked like the fuel supply was going to dry up, I can get a gallon of stabil from the co-op in about ten minutes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#8]
My truck is diesel... and work keeps 2- 1200 gal tanks at least half full. I have a few 5 gal cans too, but have yet to take them out of the packaging
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We have 88 gallons in our Strategery Reserveavoir.  80 gal in 5 gal containers. We added eight 1 gal cans, in case my wife needed to refill the generator.  Her back is jacked and might make life a little easier for her in an emergency, if I'm away.

Plus a varying amount in three 5 gal containers for lawnmowers and snowblower.  Usually, 2 are full.

There is usually fuel in the cars and the generator.

I like to keep it on hand so I don't have to run to the gas station in the event of an emergency.

My SHTFantasy usually revolves around weather issues and natural disasters.  If needed, from the Strategery Reserveavoir, that would equal about two full tanks from empty and about 12 days of generator.  Or any combination that the 98 gallons would need to fulfill.  

Yes. Sta-bil Snake-bil Snake oil and Gunout carb cleaner according to label directions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We have 88 gallons in our Strategery Reserveavoir.  80 gal in 5 gal containers. We added eight 1 gal cans, in case my wife needed to refill the generator.  Her back is jacked and might make life a little easier for her in an emergency, if I'm away.

Plus a varying amount in three 5 gal containers for lawnmowers and snowblower.  Usually, 2 are full.

There is usually fuel in the cars and the generator.

I like to keep it on hand so I don't have to run to the gas station in the event of an emergency.

My SHTFantasy usually revolves around weather issues and natural disasters.  If needed, from the Strategery Reserveavoir, that would equal about two full tanks from empty and about 12 days of generator.  Or any combination that the 98 gallons would need to fulfill.  

Quoted:
for the guys that already store do any of you use a gas stabilizer like sta-bil or seafoam?

Yes. Sta-bil Snake-bil Snake oil and Gunout carb cleaner according to label directions.

this is a good idea   ^^^^^
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 1000 gallon tank at the farm, generally lasts a little over 7 months.  I buy when price is low, I've generally done a pretty good job of catching it.  Sometimes it's empty for a month or two but I just got it filled last month for 2.09
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Gas has shot up 30 cents here in the last 2 weeks. May be on the way up?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:19:45 AM EDT
[#12]
We used to keep close to 500gal of gas but when the prices went sky high it has become impossible to keep that much now.

Try to keep at lest a drum but that is even tough.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#13]
12x 5 gals on rotation. Keep the BOV with no less than 1/2 a tank. Whole house genny is on natural gas. But propane kit ready with probably 50 gals propane. Just in case.  Worst case scenario BOL is 1000mi away.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#14]
How long is 1 Oz marine stabil in 5 gals of e10 realistically good for?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's realistically unneeded when using a proper storage container, like a NATO can.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's realistically unneeded when using a proper storage container, like a NATO can.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately only 2 of my cans are real nato cans. Rest are red plastic :/ I have regular stabil in my jerry cans. From what you are saying I should be GTG indefinitely itely with those? I can take them out of rotation?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gas has shot up 30 cents here in the last 2 weeks. May be on the way up?
View Quote

Just paid $1.99 gal here in Florida, filled up this morning.

"Refinery issues" .20-.30 cent increases expected this week. Fill up now!!
http://time.com/money/4066273/gas-prices-midwest-florida/

http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Unfortunately only 2 of my cans are real nato cans. Rest are red plastic :/ I have regular stabil in my jerry cans. From what you are saying I should be GTG indefinitely itely with those? I can take them out of rotation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always good to rotate, but properly stored fuel is good for easily two years in my experience.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I rotate my gasoline every two years. I have never used any sort of stabilizer and use 2 year old gas in motorcycles as well as trucks without a problem. Two-cycle gas can be older than two years by the time I use it up in chain saws and trimmers. Never had a problem. When I do refuel I always wait for the winter blend. I keep it in air tight steel jerry cans.

NAD
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I did have only ten gallons kept on hand and two 1 gallon containers for the mower and 2 cycle for the blower. After reading how much everyone is storing 10 gallons does seem pretty measly especially now i have a generator, snowblower.. 2 cars etc... Picked up another two 5 gallon cans today and filled up so now I have 20 gallons stored with sta-bil. Not a lot but I do not want to keep a ton of gas stored in my basement garage either. Good to have some on hand though going into winter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#22]
6 Jerry's of Shell's best...it will get me an additional 350 miles without a stop.  Plus they look macho on the Gobi Stealth rack...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I store what I can use in 30 days and try to keep that topped off twice a month. I try to use the stored gas in a semi, date ordered fashion. For the next phase it will be a transfer tank that can store that 30 day volume itself. If I can get a routine established with this I will then look at a bulk farm tank. I also amo not figuring in generator usage into this. I probably should but it would make me have to store for a longer span.

I really think if I look at > 30 days, lp has the better storage profile.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I store what I can use in 30 days and try to keep that topped off twice a month. I try to use the stored gas in a semi, date ordered fashion. For the next phase it will be a transfer tank that can store that 30 day volume itself. If I can get a routine established with this I will then look at a bulk farm tank. I also amo not figuring in generator usage into this. I probably should but it would make me have to store for a longer span.

I really think if I look at > 30 days, lp has the better storage profile.
View Quote

If you are planning on running a generator off of your stored gasoline, you likely wont be driving around nearly as much as normal if things are so bad that you need the generator. You can subtract some automobile gas consumption from your plan and add that amount to your generator plan.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I keep 30-35 gallons on hand for the DD /emergency use rotated monthly.

There is 54 gallons in the trucks as they are filled whenever used.

A drum of Kerosene for winter use if needed.

500 gallons of propane in the main tank with 12 grill tanks and 5 fork lift tanks all full before winter.

Tractor is full with 20 gallons or so on hand if needed.

Also keep a gallon of mix ready for saws and such.

Consumables such as fluids, filters, belts, hoses and spare parts (fuel and water pumps, alternators) are kept on hand. Full set of fresh drive shafts, axles and hub parts for the BOV.

Multiple spare tires for all vehicles mounted with another full set for the BOV and chains for it as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Hurricanes, lawn equipment (mower, pressure washer, weed wacker, etc.), RV, ski boat, generators and occasional rotated through vehicles:

50gals in USGI and NATO cans (ten, 5gal cans) filled & rotated, another 30gal of fuel capacity in 5 & 6 gallon plastic cans (not including veh fuel tanks).

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hurricanes, lawn equipment (mower, pressure washer, weed wacker, etc.), RV, ski boat, generators and occasional rotated through vehicles:

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/DSCN1253_zpspfufqm6v.jpg

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/DSCN1257_zpsofuidpsl.jpg

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/sellmytires/DSCN1256_zpswdaqbcio.jpg

50gals in USGI and NATO cans (ten, 5gal cans) filled & rotated, another 30gal of fuel capacity in 5 & 6 gallon plastic cans (not including veh fuel tanks).

Wondering where you got them cans and that container looks like a perfect fit for 5 of them. What kind of bin is that?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wondering where you got them cans and that container looks like a perfect fit for 5 of them. What kind of bin is that?

$40ish bucks at Wally World (near automotive). they are stout, held up fine over the last 5-6 years. Stored outside, relatively water tight, you could add a gasket to be 100%.

Damn things must weigh 20lb's empty, they are thick plastic. Each can is 35lb's full x 5 = 175lbs, + 20lb container......200lbs full, its a bit of a bear, but easy to move with a dolly.

The NATO cans only fit upside down. but they will fit; five of them....replacement gaskets are extra insurance, I have stored the NATO cans upside down for years without issue....but you need confidence in that gasket!
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I might be seeing things...but do you have them buried in the ground up to the lid?
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

$40ish bucks at Wally World (near automotive). they are stout, held up fine over the last 5-6 years. Stored outside, relatively water tight, you could add a gasket to be 100%.

Damn things must weigh 20lb's empty, they are thick plastic. Each can is 35lb's full x 5 = 175lbs, + 20lb container......200lbs full, its a bit of a bear, but easy to move with a dolly.

The NATO cans only fit upside down. but they will fit; five of them....replacement gaskets are extra insurance, I have stored the NATO cans upside down for years without issue....but you need confidence in that gasket!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the reply. I need to go hit walmart. I really do like that tote. A perfect load it and toss it in corner of the garage tote.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I might be seeing things...but do you have them buried in the ground up to the lid?
View Quote

lol....no.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

lol....no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol....no.

Ok.  A couple of your pictures make it look like they are partially buried in the ground!

Those cases are pretty well made.  I've looked at them at Walmart as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#33]
25 if all are full. After the last extended power outage, I found the important thing was to use less. The big generator was sucking down about 5 gallons a day. I bought a secondary 2000w generator that's much more fuel efficient. It's enough to run the refrigerators and some lights. I only need to bigger one to pump water now. I plan to add a small solar setup also and get down to using less than 1 gallon per day.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#34]
1-2 gallons for the yard tools, oxygenate free.  This typically lasts me 3-6 months, depending on time of year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ok.  A couple of your pictures make it look like they are partially buried in the ground!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol....no.

I didnt see that until you pointed it out....camera angle trickery!.

The totes are GTG.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top