Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2015 7:54:15 PM EDT
Looking to get a new one (my dad fried my old one by trying to charge it with a 12vac wall wart).

It will (hopefully not) be used to jump large V8s in cold conditions, and also diesel tractor engines.

What's a good sub $200 box?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged. Also looking for one, but have no illusion that one will cold start a 7.3 diesel during the winter.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had two.

A cheap harbor freight one and a Stanley one.

Both lasted about a year of pretty regular use. I mainly used them to charge my phone while camping and running a 12volt water pump for a piece of gold mining equipment. I did keep it on a small Jon boat as a back up for the trolling motor in case he deep cycle battery I normally used died. And it did work for that he few times I needed it.

Not sure I would spend more than the $40 I paid for either of them.

Definetly get one with a 12v accessory/ lighter plug. Makes it a lot more useful.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
better off using a genny and a charger.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
This one has gotten me out of a lot of jams. F250 with 7.3.  My first one went about seven years before having to replace the battery. Skinny enough to fit behind my back seat. 12v charging input, I have got a little solar panel charger setup so it can also serve as a portable power pack.  

http://www.amazon.com/Booster-ES5000-1500-Peak-Starter/dp/B000JFHNQA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1443057695&sr=8-7&keywords=battery+jump+start+clore
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive had these for years.  I have big equipment and use it to start them.  Pick ups are little compared to the skidders and excavators I have started with them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
http://themicrostart.com/products/micro-starts/xp10/

I've had the XP10 for about a year.

I keep it in my work vehicle and have used it many times to help others out.

Its started diesels, tractors, cars etc...

Its the only charger I've ever had that kept the charge as long as this has without regular charging.

A very amazing product and an incredible size.

I bought mine on ebay for $160 shipped.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Tried three different ones with my Toyota 4 liter V6.  None were powerful enough to help start it.  Keeping a second full size battery charged is a much better option.z
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tried three different ones with my Toyota 4 liter V6.  None were powerful enough to help start it.  Keeping a second full size battery charged is a much better option.z
View Quote

This is what I do when I know I'm failure-is-not-an-option situations.

I've got two different lithium packs, the Noco Genius GB30 and the Bolt Power D28. I got the Noco after a
recommendation here. While they will turn over the my cars (both have 6 cyl engines) barely, the voltage drop
on start is so deep that they can't actually get the car started since the ECU goes offline on the start voltage drop,
so they're only going to work with a weak battery, not a dead one.

The Noco will charge from USB, and has a light and can be a power pack to other USB devices. The Bolt power
needs to charge from its own adapter, but comes with a set of cables that will plug into common laptops as
well as power USB devices. I'd consider them both power supplies for portable electronics that can start
some dead batteries rather than sure-fire jump starters.

Of course the same is likely true for a 12V SLA jump box as well.

Obviously a second car battery is going to work, and if you put a battery tender on it occasionally and
use a battery analyzer, it's good to go. I have a set of alligator clips that go to a powerpole plug using
the standard ham radio setup so I can use it as a power supply and charge as needed, the under-hood
battery has the same setup. This is 60+ pounds heavier than a jump pack, but that's the price of no-fail.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Antigravity XP-1, and am very impressed with it.  It is very small and comes with multiple plugs to charge all sorts of things.  I used it to start a Honda Accord that had not been started in months with a completely dead battery, started right up.  I then immediately used it to start a 1973 Dodge Charger with a 5.2 liter engine, that also had a completely dead battery and had not been started in months.  Started right up.  You can find videos of people starting all kinds of stuff.

This was not in cold weather, but I'm confident it that with a decent charge it would start any ordinary car in cold weather too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got two different lithium packs, the Noco Genius GB30
View Quote

That's the one I own:

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB30-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B00M1OUBES

It was ruined after one jump start.  Lithium Ion batteries are fragile.z
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]
just got a Schumacher XP2260 . its a jumper with 1150 cca, 110 volt inverter ,tire inflator, and 12volt power supply. $109.00 at Lowes or Sears has it with their label. I had a unit previous to this one but let it go without charging for an extended period of time--result ruined battery. whatever you get charge the battery ever couple of weeks whether you use it or not. Replacement batteries are apx $70.00.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Costco has something (or used to), the PSX2 powerstation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#13]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DieHard-Platinum-Portable-Power-1150-AMPS-Power-Source-Jump-Starter-Compressor-/231657055600?hash=item35efd62570&item=231657055600&vxp=mtr

$140 with free shipping

I think I got mine on sale at Christmas time for $100 at Sears.

Jumper, work light, 12v,110, USB, tire comp. AND separate camping style inflator.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#16]
This, does go on sale/deal thru Amazon.

Quoted:
Ive had these for years.  I have big equipment and use it to start them.  Pick ups are little compared to the skidders and excavators I have started with them. http://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-1700-12-Volt-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=pd_sim_263_5/183-0302841-7526278?ie=UTF8&refRID=12GJXKF2P3BWY7ZYYE3V&dpID=51eXCN9XAyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR158%2C160_

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Stanley model that I got on a good sale at Menards (like a Home Depot, but not). It pushes something like 400 starting amps. It will start my Ford 5.4 in my pickup from at least an almost dead battery (to the point where the starter solenoid just clicks). Has a USB and 12 volt cigg plug. It charges from 110VAC directly via regular extension chord. The most handy part is the air compressor. I use that ALL THE TIME. The air compressor part has gotten me out of more jams than jump starting anything. Its also handy for around the house: Always flat tires on stuff, especially anything using those cheap chicom tires. I have spent more money replacing those cheap tires TWICE a year on my garden cart than I paid for the garden cart. But back on topic....

Just wanted to mention that make sure you have an air compressor. Doesn't have to be on the power pack, but having a battery air compressor is important.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

200 bucks would get you a serious AGM deep-cycle battery - with around 10 times the capacity of the average "jump box".

Even 65 bucks buys a decent-sized one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ive had these for years.  I have big equipment and use it to start them.  Pick ups are little compared to the skidders and excavators I have started with them. http://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-1700-12-Volt-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=pd_sim_263_5/183-0302841-7526278?ie=UTF8&refRID=12GJXKF2P3BWY7ZYYE3V&dpID=51eXCN9XAyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR158%2C160_

View Quote

I have the 300 currently, but have the 660 on my wish list for Christmas.  Mine sat for about 2 years without charging or maintenance and jumped off someone at a campground last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNC300XL-Ultraportable-Starter-Light/dp/B000XQ9MGE

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I came in here to post JNC too.  I've had the 660 for years and picked up one of the smaller ones recently for another vehicle. Never had a failure.

Edit: My second one is the 300XL shown above. I will probably love it but haven't used it yet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

200 bucks would get you a serious AGM deep-cycle battery - with around 10 times the capacity of the average "jump box".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Black and Decker model I picked up on sale at one of the big box stores. It also has a compressor. I've used the compressor more than the booster. I've probably started three vehicles with it, but used the air pump dozens of times.  It is a handy feature.  I recommend this option.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#24]
this is what you seek..................... but its pricey.....................lol

jnc 950

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you want to use a deep cycle as a cranking battery? That's not what they are made for.

I use the Schumacher jump packs around the marina. This time of year they come in handy picking up storage boats with dead batteries.  

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-PSJ-2212-ProSeries-Starter-Portable/dp/B000N4UQL6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443191515&sr=8-2&keywords=schumacher+battery+pack
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Pocket Power Plus from  Solutions From Science http://www.solutionsfromscience.com/product/pocket-power-plus/

It'll jump your battery, charge virtually anything.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why would you want to use a deep cycle as a cranking battery? That's not what they are made for.
View Quote

Deep-cycle batteries are made to tolerate deep discharges.

Period.

They work fine as starting batteries, and are commonly used in that application.

Unlike their non-DC counterparts, they also work great for powering small-to-moderate loads for extended periods - You can run them down without ruining them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Harbor Freight.

They all use 12v SLA batteries. The money you save with the harbor freight model will pay for the next set of batteries.

Most 12v SLA batteries fail like clockwork at 24 months, I have replaced dozens between my battery backup UPS for the computers and jump packs for the vehicles.

I have been toying around with the idea of replacing the 12 SLA battery with a bunch of 18650 batteries (laptop batteries) soldered together for the extra amp-hr capacity within the same footprint.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pocket Power Plus from  Solutions From Science http://www.solutionsfromscience.com/product/pocket-power-plus/

View Quote

Interesting and kind of what I'm looking for since my commuter car is pretty limited on space. Do you have one of these? If so, has it held up well?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Interesting and kind of what I'm looking for since my commuter car is pretty limited on space. Do you have one of these? If so, has it held up well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  Was talking to a friend who repairs RVs. He may have a better one that costs the same amount of $$$.  He says they were able to start six diesel trucks with their batteries disconnected in -40 degree temperatures.  I emailed him today and asked him to ID the unit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nope.  Was talking to a friend who repairs RVs. He may have a better one that costs the same amount of $$$.  He says they were able to start six diesel trucks with their batteries disconnected in -40 degree temperatures.  I emailed him today and asked him to ID the unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's his response:
Its very similar and that is a better deal than I can get.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks guys!

Went with the XP10 from amazon.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I have to get one of those little ones.
Something the size of a cell phone that can start a car is crazy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

Went with the XP10 from amazon.
View Quote
You will love it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have to get one of those little ones.
Something the size of a cell phone that can start a car is crazy.
View Quote

Under perfect conditions, it doesn't take much to start an engine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
As I mentioned, I run with complete spare car batteries now, but have a couple of the jump
packs that I wasn't impressed by when I tested them. It was interesting to me, I just priced
out batteries for my XJ, and prices ranged from $90 for an economy flooded to $155 for an
unbranded AGM -- and about $180 for a name brand but not optima AGM.

Price tags on the higher rated jump starters here are actually close to a brand new AGM
car battery -- and often substantially higher. I get that they're offering a size/weight
benefit, but man, for most vehicles you're going to be pretty far ahead of the game
just getting a decent quality second battery, and you'll have a warranty that's substantially
longer than the jump starter as well.

I've also noticed that at least on amazon there's a lot of flags that the jump packs
are knockoffs (and the pricing would seem to support that.) While I doubt my little jump
packs are knockoffs, it seems like the negative reviews of the XP10 there stem from
that and not the product.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Schumacher is good. CenturyTool manufactures them (link below). Looks like they have some big hosses further down the page.

http://www.centurytool.net/Schumacher_Portable_Power_s/33234.htm
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had one of these for a couple of years and have jumped many things with it.  I charge the battery a few times a year but the meter constantly reads 100percent.  I still leave it charge all night.  I take it with me on all long trips along with a various emergency tools and Milwaukee impact.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got one of these, similar to the pocket charger that was posted but this one comes with an air compressor also.  Maybe not the best AC unit but better than nothing when you need it...seems to have great reviews!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VIVGRS4?vs=1#
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top