Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2015 1:28:45 PM EDT
Every liquid filled compass I carry in my travel kit fails after a short time. The altitude and pressure from flying causes huge bubbles that retard the movement of the needle. Any suggestions? Non-filled?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Every liquid filled compass I carry in my travel kit fails after a short time. The altitude and pressure from flying causes huge bubbles that retard the movement of the needle. Any suggestions? Non-filled?
View Quote

Sun rises in the east sets in the west?  

I really don't use non liquid filled compass but I have had one dry compass that rattled around my gear boxes for well over a decade.  Was carried in my hunting pack for years as a teen.  still points north.

It looks just like that and would have to guess its a stansport as it would have been sourced at a local store by my parents when I was younger.  I will look at the compass it self when I get home and see if it has anything on it.  Wouldn't hurt to try one.  Would be easy to re-magnetize because you can "lock" the needle with a lever.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/stansport-pocket-compass.html

I saw the same listed on amazon but the reviews say its a black plastic one so I would order with care, or try to find something local maybe?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Compass app on phone.
i must be at job sites in the middle of nowhere at 3 or 4 am and must be able to verify northwest corner of building, for example.
try that with a hangover and no compass
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like the Cammenga uses copper induction and not liquid for dampening.  I might get the non tritium version for $38 on Amazon. I have the tritium version in my bug out bag at home. I hate to steal it out of that kit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Compass app on phone.
i must be at job sites in the middle of nowhere at 3 or 4 am and must be able to verify northwest corner of building, for example.
try that with a hangover and no compass
View Quote

I have that too, but it is technology dependent and this is a very long range get home kit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
There used to be induction damped Silvas too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had some pretty good bubbles in compasses that were still accurate.

Would be interesting to drain one and see how it behaved compared with a bubbled one and a non bubbled one.

IME with land nav races, you rely much more on the topo map than taking precise bearings and setting azimuths with the compass. Compass gets you pointed in the right direction and orients the map with the land, terrain features, topography and pace counts get you to X marks the spot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had to drain a couple compasses before that had big bubbles. They worked fine afterwards but the needle naturally took longer to settle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It looks like the Cammenga uses copper induction and not liquid for dampening.  I might get the non tritium version for $38 on Amazon. I have the tritium version in my bug out bag at home. I hate to steal it out of that kit.
View Quote

I bought the trit version 3+ years back just for shits and giggles.  $55 on a legitimate contract overrun off of Ebay.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Long range makes it an issue?

Not for nothing unless you're navigating the desert, the ocean, or maybe a great lake out of sight of land you should be able to pick up you error with identifiable way points along the way.    Hell most rough navigators with a map aren't even converting headings from grid to magnetic bearings.  I tend to convert them based on force of habit.  Work bought us Silva Rangers with the deviation adjustment right on the compass.  I hate that and set mine to zero.  I probably over think things though, last week doing some training I was getting pissed with a work Garmin because the compass and the digital heading wouldn't give me a degree reading, it was stuck on the more coarse N, NW, W, etc.   It was good enough for what we were doing but to me it's like blasting from the hip.  

I have one of the old and basic silvas from the 80's.  I have a BB sized bubble.  It works as good as my USGI and my later Ranger.

I can only recall one compass in my life going bad, on of those plastic copies of the USGI engineer's style compass.  Needle went bad and wouldn't stay magnetized when I tried to remagnetize it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm too lazy to go get my camping gear out to look, but....

I have one (a Silva, I think) that I bought when I was a Scout in 1969. No liquid damping, it works fine. I use it as a backup to my Suunto (I think) liquid-filled compass.
While the Suunto is better (easier to sight with, damping, better markings), it's hard to imagine a land-based situation where the old one wouldn't suffice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Happy Cammenga customer here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not for nothing unless you're navigating the desert, the ocean, or maybe a great lake out of sight of land you should be able to pick up you error with identifiable way points along the way.    Hell most rough navigators with a map aren't even converting headings from grid to magnetic bearings.  I tend to convert them based on force of habit.  Work bought us Silva Rangers with the deviation adjustment right on the compass.  I hate that and set mine to zero.  I probably over think things though, last week doing some training I was getting pissed with a work Garmin because the compass and the digital heading wouldn't give me a degree reading, it was stuck on the more coarse N, NW, W, etc.   It was good enough for what we were doing but to me it's like blasting from the hip.  

I have one of the old and basic silvas from the 80's.  I have a BB sized bubble.  It works as good as my USGI and my later Ranger.

I can only recall one compass in my life going bad, on of those plastic copies of the USGI engineer's style compass.  Needle went bad and wouldn't stay magnetized when I tried to remagnetize it.
View Quote

I am in California as I respond to this post. Home is NE Ohio. It's a long damn way and every wasted step is a problem.  I need to be able to know I'm going the right direction when I'm tired and cold and a long way from home. I will be following roads for the most part but occasionally I might need to go off road for short distances.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you looked at the hand held digital style?
Random Google image:

Amazon Digital search

Never used one ...

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I had great luck with a K&R baseplate. For engineering compasses cammenga have worked well for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The smartphone compass works pretty good

Really though, unless I have a topo map of the area I'm in, I don't know how much a compass is worth...it's relatively easy to figure out general north by the sun.
Speed
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<snip>

Really though, unless I have a topo map of the area I'm in, I don't know how much a compass is worth...it's relatively easy to figure out general north by the sun.

Speed
View Quote

That brings up a really good point...  +1 to the above statement.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Speed

Can you both walk 2,000 miles without a compass and end up in the right place? I'm more worried about the extra time and effort it might take to get home. We aren't talking a short woods walk. I'll be in Nashville tomorrow.  Orlando on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I dug out my tritium Cammenga to put in my travel kit. Around here I really won't need it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Brunton M2 that I have had for quite a while.  I'm pretty happy with it.  Not liquid filled...  Did some googling and found a few for stupid prices (here for instance)...  but got lucky and found a NOS one on ebay for reasonable $ (at this point at least) >>> LINK

Comes with a pretty durable case as well...

Link explaining it >>> link

...and if you like leather carrying cases, Brunton makes this >>>

ETA:  Just noticed that the perimeter of this model is calibrated in mils, mine is in degrees...  (6400 mils in a circle; 1 degree = 17.777 mils)
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can you both walk 2,000 miles without a compass and end up in the right place? I'm more worried about the extra time and effort it might take to get home. We aren't talking a short woods walk. I'll be in Nashville tomorrow.  Orlando on Wednesday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Speed

Yes and no.  First the no, I doubt I'll ever walk 2000 miles in a single trip.  If I did like any long range navigator I'd be looking for confirming checkpoints of my location along the way.  Unless the nation was blasted by all the atomic bombs made to use against us, there will be identifiable places along the way to confirm you're on the chosen course unless you were blind the whole time.

I'm no pilot but until the most recent super GPS guidance systems, they set courses, flew the track and watched for checkpoints; ie cities, mountains, large lakes and rivers as confirmation of their position.  That way they caught and corrected for errors of navigation whatever the cause, crosswinds slight compass error, etc.

Even in my infantry days, we didn't normally run one long huge leg, you broke it down into manageable pieces.

Just my two cents. FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

In that situation, an accurate MAP will help you much more than a compass will. In fact, given just a compass I'd give you zero chance of getting back. With just a map, your chances are pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In that situation, an accurate MAP will help you much more than a compass will. In fact, given just a compass I'd give you zero chance of getting back. With just a map, your chances are pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The map is essential,  but the compass is a labor saving device. If I have to go cross country to avoid road blocks or other hazards then the compass becomes very important. I just don't want to accidently wander off course when it could be very bad for me. I am worried that getting home might not be as simple as just following country roads home.

I decided to just put my tritium Cammenga into my travel kit and leave the brunton or Silva in my bug out bag. It doesn't have any liquid in it and it is very solid.

I have downloaded free maps into my tablet that I can reference on my way home if I can't buy a road atlas for the trip. My 5 watt solar panel can charge it as long as the tablet is off. I quit carrying a paper map years ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
...I decided to just put my tritium Cammenga into my travel kit and leave the brunton or Silva in my bug out bag. It doesn't have any liquid in it and it is very solid...
View Quote

If you can tolerate the markings being in mils (not degrees), the link I posted above has a NOS Brunton M2 for $38 (at this point) - seems like a great deal for a backup...  just sayin'...
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the Pocket Transit from Brunton  they are expensive but 299 isnt that bad for a good unit
Used these in my spec ops days and loved them ever since
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you can tolerate the markings being in mils (not degrees), the link I posted above has a NOS Brunton M2 for $38 (at this point) - seems like a great deal for a backup...  just sayin'...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...I decided to just put my tritium Cammenga into my travel kit and leave the brunton or Silva in my bug out bag. It doesn't have any liquid in it and it is very solid...

The non-tritium Cammenga is $38 and it can lock out the rotation to protect it from shock. I like the design.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#26]
O
Quoted:

I am in California as I respond to this post. Home is NE Ohio. It's a long damn way and every wasted step is a problem.  I need to be able to know I'm going the right direction when I'm tired and cold and a long way from home. I will be following roads for the most part but occasionally I might need to go off road for short distances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are in a situation where you have to get home on foot, traveling hundreds of miles.........

Stay away from the fucking roads.

GI Lensatic. Old school shit just works.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
O

If you are in a situation where you have to get home on foot, traveling hundreds of miles.........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
O
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what a Cammenga is.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I know. . I have a few of them.  

You should pack a map as well to get your general bearings in such a scenario.  

Roads are ambushes in waiting.  Go cross country.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
How about a compass designed for scuba. They are rugged.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

While you are correct, roads are also a huge labor savings when it comes to very long distance walking. I don't know how I would cross the country without dying hundreds of different ways, but I would try. My best option is to be as smart about it as possible. I can't cross the Rockies on foot and not use roads. Walking across rugged terrain without help would be just as fatal as an ambush.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

While you are correct, roads are also a huge labor savings when it comes to very long distance walking. I don't know how I would cross the country without dying hundreds of different ways, but I would try. My best option is to be as smart about it as possible. I can't cross the Rockies on foot and not use roads. Walking across rugged terrain without help would be just as fatal as an ambush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.  Compromise. Travel parallel to the road out of sight unless you can't help it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good point.  Compromise. Travel parallel to the road out of sight unless you can't help it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be part of my plan depending on terrain.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I am sitting in a hotel in TN outside of Nashville right now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

400 mile walk...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

400 mile walk...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

400 mile walk...

Heading to Orlando tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Tried a watch with electronic compass function in it? There are literally dozens on the market. And they aren't liquid filled. Most have two or three functions, including temperature, altimeter, compass, tides, etc.

Casio, Timex, Garmin, Suunto are good vendors. I have a Silva Ranger which I recently checked to discover the declination is now off as mag north has moved again. Ran it enough in the service but GPS came on at the time and has pretty much taken over. I bought a first gen Bushnell Backtrack and it works as well as I need moving on land I've hunted for 40 years. Now I've added a Casio SGW-100B and with the Silva in the pack, GPS in a front pocket, I'm overdoing it.

These days what I see being needed is something more than just a compass - but it does just sit in a bag and wait without powering down or needing batteries. Nice for backup but the electronic devices do a lot more.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tried a watch with electronic compass function in it? There are literally dozens on the market. And they aren't liquid filled. Most have two or three functions, including temperature, altimeter, compass, tides, etc.

Casio, Timex, Garmin, Suunto are good vendors. I have a Silva Ranger which I recently checked to discover the declination is now off as mag north has moved again. Ran it enough in the service but GPS came on at the time and has pretty much taken over. I bought a first gen Bushnell Backtrack and it works as well as I need moving on land I've hunted for 40 years. Now I've added a Casio SGW-100B and with the Silva in the pack, GPS in a front pocket, I'm overdoing it.

These days what I see being needed is something more than just a compass - but it does just sit in a bag and wait without powering down or needing batteries. Nice for backup but the electronic devices do a lot more.
View Quote

Casio Pathfinder here and it's solar powered so I don't have to worry about batteries.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How about a compass designed for scuba. They are rugged.
View Quote

Not as rugged as you'd think; I've gone through @ 3 Suunto in less than 8 years.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Brunton.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Would be interesting to drain one and see how it behaved compared with a bubbled one and a non bubbled one.

IME with land nav races, you rely much more on the topo map than taking precise bearings and setting azimuths with the compass. Compass gets you pointed in the right direction and orients the map with the land, terrain features, topography and pace counts get you to X marks the spot.
View Quote

All of this.

I've got a Brunton Classic that I bought in my early teens that I used a few weekends ago to teach my 8 year old the basics of orienteering.  It is an amazing basic compass.

Also, you may want to rethink walking across the country.  That's not something most people can do under ideal situations.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

All of this.

I've got a Brunton Classic that I bought in my early teens that I used a few weekends ago to teach my 8 year old the basics of orienteering.  It is an amazing basic compass.

Also, you may want to rethink walking across the country.  That's not something most people can do under ideal situations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this.

Your totally right. I will just abandon my wife and kids because it's too hard to get home.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Your totally right. I will just abandon my wife and kids because it's too hard to get home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this.

That response is one that I'd expect from someone who has not done much walking.

If you'd done any distance hiking of note you'd know that walking across the country in an adverse situation isn't hard, it's impossible.

Tell you what, tomorrow do a 100 miler. Do it with no gear, the best shoes you've got, and on nice flat paved roads.

And send us the address of the hospital you land in so we can send you a get well card.

Afterward, we can talk about more realistic options.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That response is one that I'd expect from someone who has not done much walking.

If you'd done any distance hiking of note you'd know that walking across the country in an adverse situation isn't hard, it's impossible.

Tell you what, tomorrow do a 100 miler. Do it with no gear, the best shoes you've got, and on nice flat paved roads.

And send us the address of the hospital you land in so we can send you a get well card.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this.

You seem to not get the point. This is for if there is no other option. If I can fucking drive home you think I'm going to walk? You think if I can buy a bicycle I wouldn't do that? You think I just want to walk home? This is absolute last resort.  It would take months.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You seem to not get the point. This is for if there is no other option. If I can fucking drive home you think I'm going to walk? You think if I can buy a bicycle I wouldn't do that? You think I just want to walk home? This is absolute last resort.  It would take months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this.

Back from your walk yet?  

You're mind is made up.  I guess ignorance is bliss.

Enjoy your fantasy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a Brunton M2 that I have had for quite a while.  I'm pretty happy with it.  Not liquid filled...  Did some googling and found a few for stupid prices (here for instance)...  but got lucky and found a NOS one on ebay for reasonable $ (at this point at least) >>> LINK

Comes with a pretty durable case as well...
View Quote

I came here to post this as well. It may be a bit of an overkill for rough bearings. We used them in the Army. My biggest gripe was the mirrors are super flimsy and will detach and break if they are handled roughly. You could probably find some inexpensive used mil models for sale that "Fell off a truck" at some point.

Cammenga USGI models are good, though most will be 1-5 degrees off and will react differently to declination changes across the country.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

I hiked 200 miles of the AT this spring carrying a 25-30 pound pack wearing trail runners, longest day was 18.2 miles.  I am below average physical condition with regards to weight (fat) and aerobic capacity (sucking wind!).

The OP didn't say he was going to low crawl and bushwhack the entire distance.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I hiked 200 miles of the AT this spring carrying a 25-30 pound pack wearing trail runners, longest day was 18.2 miles.  I am below average physical condition with regards to weight (fat) and aerobic capacity (sucking wind!).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He thinks I'm going to do 100 miles a day.

The funniest survivalists are the ones who don't know what will happen but they know what you prepare for won't happen.  I have no idea if I will actually get stuck in Seattle next week and have no way to get home. It sure would suck. Even more if I was unprepared.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top