Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The "black tape" experiment was a complete success and a total failure. The wick and batting was completely wet with fuel after a couple weeks. It still looked freshly filled.

The failure is that the black tape adhesive melted and made a huge mess. I'm glad I had stuff to clean it up with instead of being in a survival situation.

At this point it seems that vacuum sealing a lighter with a few extra flints and a small bottle of fuel would be a decent option for those of us who don't care for bics. Pre-slit the edge of the pouch for easy tearing later.

The 1 oz Nalgene container is working wonderfully. Not a single bit of a leak.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When new, flints are coated to prevent deterioration.  If you install a flint in a lighter, and then spin the wheel against the flint, the protective coating is now gone on one end.  Over time, that flint will begin to corrode at that point, often welding itself to the wheel, or to the flint tube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was going through some of my older lighters today and when I replaced the flint in one I found that it still wouldn't spark. The flint had corroded in the tube and had to be cleared out with a drill bit.  Most of my lighters don't get "retired" until the flint is worn out, at which point they get tossed in a drawer until I have several out of commission and I buy replacement flints. For some reason, I tossed this in with the others before the flint was worn out. I've had the flints go bad before, but this was the first one that I actually had to clean out the flint tube to get back in working order.

Just a reminder to check your lighters that rely on a flint to ignite. They may be simple, but things can and will go wrong.

When new, flints are coated to prevent deterioration.  If you install a flint in a lighter, and then spin the wheel against the flint, the protective coating is now gone on one end.  Over time, that flint will begin to corrode at that point, often welding itself to the wheel, or to the flint tube.

Good point. Its important to remember that the coating isn't very thick and they can still corrode unused. Keeping them dry away from humidity helps too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#3]

I was in on the presale for these.  I'm taking it out camping and hiking the 5th tallest mountain in the state this weekend with temps dipping into the 30's.  It's still a Bic, but now it's waterproof and you can hang it from a lanyard, so I don't expect any issues.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried Coleman fuel in one of my Zippos. It does not burn the same but it works okay. I prefer the Zippo brand fluid for sure.

The big difference is that the coleman fuel is far less expensive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I tried Coleman fuel in one of my Zippos. It does not burn the same but it works okay. I prefer the Zippo brand fluid for sure.

The big difference is that the coleman fuel is far less expensive.
View Quote

Agree.  I use whatever comes in those yellow bottles you can get at most hardware or box stores.  Great thing about zippo is you can use can feed it so many different fluids.  I always carry one in my pocket while hunting but I started EDCing one again as well...  Damn arfcom!  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

the ones i have are just chicom cheap ones off ebay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have a peanut lighter in all my kits. i test them every year for fluid and after several years none of them have lost a drop. they are great for long term solutions in storage.

I am really liking how they hold fluid. I have one  but I might buy a few more. Any suggestions on quality versions?

I have a countycomm one and it leaks I've even replaces the rubber o ring with a new replacement and it still leaks. Damn thing only lasts a week or so even sitting on the shelf not being used.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a countycomm one and it leaks I've even replaces the rubber o ring with a new replacement and it still leaks. Damn thing only lasts a week or so even sitting on the shelf not being used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have a peanut lighter in all my kits. i test them every year for fluid and after several years none of them have lost a drop. they are great for long term solutions in storage.

I am really liking how they hold fluid. I have one  but I might buy a few more. Any suggestions on quality versions?

That sucks. I have a nice titanium one that lasts several months. I even had one of the cheap types which still worked YEARS after being sealed. Granted it was just that one, and its true some others Ive had didnt hold well due to bad o rings. Of all the peanut lighters that I have Id say that in general with a good oring it should hold the fuel for 3 to 6 months as long as it was full and left unopened.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Many of you all know how much I enjoy looking around the flea market and finding useful stuff to both collect, and add to my stock of survival stuff.

This was a little item I picked up that might spawn a great discussion on lighters. It is probably pre-war if I remember correctly. I'm pretty proud of my new "survival lighter".

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/user/batmanacw/media/gear/20150831_210513_zps9ybnfk65.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20150831_210513_zps9ybnfk65.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/user/batmanacw/media/gear/20150831_210529_zpsbxqkjb1h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20150831_210529_zpsbxqkjb1h.jpg</a>

This is with it next to my peanut lighter.

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/user/batmanacw/media/gear/20150831_210545_zpsrumsfh7f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20150831_210545_zpsrumsfh7f.jpg</a>

Here it is next to a full sized Bic

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/user/batmanacw/media/gear/20150831_210559_zpsll51gby2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20150831_210559_zpsll51gby2.jpg</a>

Obviously I'm being a bit sarcastic. The lighter is absolutely tiny and very cool. Not a great tacticool piece of "kit".

I was wondering what types of lighter fluid based lighters you guys use. Also, has anyone came up with a way to better seal a zippo to avoid fluid loss for storage?

My peanut goes with me everywhere and it holds fuel for many months no problem.  The tiny one will most likely lose it just as quick as my zippy did.
View Quote

You can convert a zippo to butane.  That would be  a way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have/had a couple.  The steel sparking wheel fell off.  I would not trust them in an emergency.  The best thing for emergencies as has been said is to store a can of zippo fuel with a lighter so you can fill it when you need it.   Zippos have a huge advantage in simplicity.   That being said, I have a bunch of ronson jetlites that I use when I actually need fire.  I keep one of those handy too but do not completely trust any butane lighter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#12]
This forum has cost me more money

After reading this thread I was looking around on amazon and found this.

I didn't order it, but put it in a wish list for research purposes. Somehow my phone, bouncing around in my pocket, moved it to the shopping  cart and ordered it. I found out about the next day when I got a shipping confirmation. It took awhile, but finally arrived at the house a few weeks later.

I have filled it once and been carrying it around since. It gets hot trying to light the big glass jar candles my wife has around the house. I couldn't light them with a zippo as it would be too wide to fit in the neck of the jar when open. Since I don't smoke that is the only thing I have used it for. Winter is coming on and I will use it more then.

Thanks a lot Batman.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish Zippo (or a third party) would design a Zippo case with a gasket and a latch. The gasket should prevent fluid evaporation, and the latch would keep pressure on the gasket. It would definitely ruin the classic Zippo looks (with a large external latch), but they could brand it as some kind of rugged or survival lighter, and I'd bet it would still do well.
You're still going to lose a significant amount of fuel each time you unlatch and open it (due to being vaporized), but it should still cut down on losses significantly if you only open it once in a while.
It should be fairly easy to design... hmm...

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I am late to the party but I played endlessly with a lighter exactly like the one in the OP when I was a little kid, I am 39 now. I still have it as a matter of fact. My mother got it out of a gumball type machine when she was a little girl, so probably early 50's. Can you imagine how people would freak out now if they still gave away lighters to kids in gumball machines!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I just received a $9 butane torch insert for my Arfcom zippo.  If it lasts, it solves several problems with the design.  It lights on the first click with triple refined fuel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just received a $9 butane torch insert for my Arfcom zippo.  If it lasts, it solves several problems with the design.  It lights on the first click with triple refined fuel.
View Quote

could you elaborate/post a link? I'm looking for one as well
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Zippos are cool, and nostalgic, but just like 1911's, there are newer better things out there. Some people in this thread are a little too emotional over a *lighter*.

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/SOTO-PT-14SB-Soto-Pocket-Torch/dp/B0046UZRNU

I've had the same cheap scripto in it for a year.  Still works. My zippo on the other hand, is empty. again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Zippos are cool, and nostalgic, but just like 1911's, there are newer better things out there. Some people in this thread are a little too emotional over a *lighter*.

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/SOTO-PT-14SB-Soto-Pocket-Torch/dp/B0046UZRNU

I've had the same cheap scripto in it for a year.  Still works. My zippo on the other hand, is empty. again.
View Quote

Careful, there, Bub.

Trash on Zippos all you want. Thou shalt not mock JMB, lest thou be stricken downeth.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This forum has cost me more money

After reading this thread I was looking around on amazon and found this.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gMjtc9iqL.jpg

I didn't order it, but put it in a wish list for research purposes. Somehow my phone, bouncing around in my pocket, moved it to the shopping  cart and ordered it. I found out about the next day when I got a shipping confirmation. It took awhile, but finally arrived at the house a few weeks later.

I have filled it once and been carrying it around since. It gets hot trying to light the big glass jar candles my wife has around the house. I couldn't light them with a zippo as it would be too wide to fit in the neck of the jar when open. Since I don't smoke that is the only thing I have used it for. Winter is coming on and I will use it more then.

Thanks a lot Batman.
View Quote

I bought an IMCO Triplex back in 1994 and still have it and have used it extensively (though I quit smoking 8 or 9 years ago).  They feel kind of tinny and cheap but are neat and durable.  They do lose fluid over time so they aren't the answer most people here are looking for but liquid fuel lighters have their advantages and within that realm the IMCO is a decent choice.

On mine you can remove the insert and use it to light things like the jar candles you describe.  Mine also has the sliding adjustable wind guard so it slightly differs from your model.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just bought a new Zippo in Orange! Looks to be a matte powder coat. I'm on a bit of a lighter kick right now. Kind of a great color for when you are fumbling about in the dark with frozen hands.

I still need something water tight to carry fluid in that carries at least a few ounces.
View Quote

How about this
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How about this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought a new Zippo in Orange! Looks to be a matte powder coat. I'm on a bit of a lighter kick right now. Kind of a great color for when you are fumbling about in the dark with frozen hands.

I still need something water tight to carry fluid in that carries at least a few ounces.

How about this

It's tiny. Close to what I want though.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top