Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Was at work that morning. The conference room had a TV going shortly after the first plane hit. A lot of people were streaming TV on their desktop computers. Being a bunch of aero engineers, there was much speculation about how a certified commercial airliner could possibly have plowed into a building. When the second one hit, it sorta became obvious. Sometime much later, the media finally caught on. By noon, our management issued a site-wide email telling everybody to go home (and not come back until asked to). By the time I got home, the wife was already there after being sent home before me. There was genuine, palpable, fear amongst folks here. It was good we'd just done our weekly shopping already because most of the local banks and grocery stores closed early. There were a LOT of people in my neighborhood that got sent home and several that weren't called back that week.

I had no reason to execute a bug-out plan. My response to the whole ordeal was precisely the opposite - to bug IN until it could be determined whether or not it was safe to do otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in boot camp. We sat in lock down for 4 days and watched the news.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I was leading a meeting on the highest floor of the tallest building in the 10th largest US city (Detroit) that just happens to have the largest muslim population in the US.  I cancelled the meeting, got everybody out and then took 45 minutes to get out of the parking garage.  The highways were jammed, cell phones didn't work.  I took my get-home routes through the ghetto.  People were running redlights everywhere so you had to be careful at every intersection.

No need to bug out, but I invoked third level of alert for sure and prepositioned the bugout supplies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The whole day was absolutely surreal, but one of many things that stands out in my mind:  I live in the country, and can see a lot of sky.  Looking up and seeing absolutely no contrails anywhere really made it sink in.  You really don't realize how ingrained the sight of planes overhead has become until they are gone.

And...

Quoted:
the picture you disrespectfully photoshopped still sucks.
ar-jedi
View Quote

Quoted:
too bad!
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm DOD Civ, packed my gear and went across the pond.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope. I loaded magazines for my M14 and went to the flight deck at the time the bomb was suppose to go off on the ship in dry dock next to us.

Then I did that for months afterward... All day, all night.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in Seatac Airport on a plane that was supposed to take me to infantry training, my boot leave was supposed to end September 11, 2001. We had just started to back away from the terminal when we were pulled back into place, the stewardess came back to inform us there would be a delay and that we could exit the plane if we wanted. I stayed on the plane thinking it wouldn't take terribly long, there were maybe 5 of us left on the plane when she came back to tell me I should exit the plane and it would be hours. Walking off the plane the airport was earily quiet and all the tv's were off. I happened to walk past a sports bar that still had theirs on and watched the planes hit on a big screen.

I'd been a Marine for just a few short weeks and didnt even have an MOS yet!

When I finally got down to SOI I became a machine gunner and the rest are stories for another time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I was working the tail end of a long grave yard shift.
I watched the towers go down when I got a break then went home to sleep.
Told my wife, This is the day Liberty dies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd just started my senior year at college. Had been back from Airborne school for bout 3 weeks. Tied one on the night before. Woke up to my roommates freaking out. Watched it and got giddy cause I knew I'd be shooting people soon. Guess I was too war thirsty to really take in the gravity of what happened. Didn't bug out, but I did get some lunch and wait for the situation to develop.
View Quote

i normally tend to not comment on others posts however if you get excited and "giddy" about shooting people you have a serious problem and are nothing but a tool.

it's people like this that give gun owners a bad name!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i normally tend to not comment on others posts however if you get excited and "giddy" about shooting people you have a serious problem and are nothing but a tool.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd just started my senior year at college. Had been back from Airborne school for bout 3 weeks. Tied one on the night before. Woke up to my roommates freaking out. Watched it and got giddy cause I knew I'd be shooting people soon. Guess I was too war thirsty to really take in the gravity of what happened. Didn't bug out, but I did get some lunch and wait for the situation to develop.

Lol oh get over yourself...

He was/is an Airborne soldier, he gives them an awesome fucking name. I was pissed I wasn't a SEAL and stuck on a ship. Cuz I wanted to deploy as well...
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I was Home stretched out on the couch, Tuesday was My normal off day.  First thought was to get down to the Gas station and fill up , before those greedy a-rabs raised the prices . Good idea by the end of the Day gas was at least doubled. I was in the city of Cleveland  back then , and was amazed at how quiet it was that night, and for the following week .  Other than that it was life as normal , New York was far away , I was well Armed , and I really didn't give a shit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So which part about him being mil did you not understand? I mean, being mil and using your mil issued weapon to kill people legally who are trying to kill you first while doing it as part of his job in the mil?

Reading comprehension and critical thinking, I suggest you try it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nope. I loaded magazines for my M14 and went to the flight deck at the time the bomb was suppose to go off on the ship in dry dock next to us.
View Quote

I'm not recalling what you are referencing, sorry?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were in the shipyard.  Lots of rumours flying.  Threatcon C/D.  It was a lot of fun.

We were on the same ship.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm proud our (the USA) military guys used their skills of killing and destroying. God Bless the Troops!  My nephew did two tours in Afghanistan and two in Iraq.  He was good at what he was trained to do.  If they need it, I hope we (the USA) support those guys and gals for the rest of their lives.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We were in the shipyard.  Lots of rumours flying.  Threatcon C/D.  It was a lot of fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 day duty section FTW!

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

3 day duty section FTW!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 day duty section FTW!

Damn that was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 day duty section FTW!

Yup. Personally, since I've been out it seems like it never happened...
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sounds familiar, storyteller..

<a href="http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mdar15manager/media/StoryForAnotherDay_zpsqic75ylk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/mdar15manager/StoryForAnotherDay_zpsqic75ylk.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in Seatac Airport on a plane that was supposed to take me to infantry training, my boot leave was supposed to end September 11, 2001. We had just started to back away from the terminal when we were pulled back into place, the stewardess came back to inform us there would be a delay and that we could exit the plane if we wanted. I stayed on the plane thinking it wouldn't take terribly long, there were maybe 5 of us left on the plane when she came back to tell me I should exit the plane and it would be hours. Walking off the plane the airport was earily quiet and all the tv's were off. I happened to walk past a sports bar that still had theirs on and watched the planes hit on a big screen.

I'd been a Marine for just a few short weeks and didnt even have an MOS yet!

When I finally got down to SOI I became a machine gunner and the rest are stories for another time.

Sounds familiar, storyteller..

<a href="http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mdar15manager/media/StoryForAnotherDay_zpsqic75ylk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/mdar15manager/StoryForAnotherDay_zpsqic75ylk.jpg</a>

What do you mean?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I was a sophomore in highschool. Didn't own any guns or gear. I woke up late and fired up the tv because skip the whole day. I didn't get into the Army until '05 when I turned 18, and I didn't get to Afghanistan until '09, but I accomplished all the things that I promised those people I would.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I had to work on a way to make the orderly shut down of our County Courthouse.  The state had already called and said there was a jet that was hijacked and was occupying the air space above us.  In the end, it was pretty easy.  A few of us just walked from office to office and said "Go home, nothing's getting done here today."  Then we locked the doors and I drove home.  Our disaster recovery plan was initiated but we never made it past the part where we confirm contact info and remind people of their areas of responsibility.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top