User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They are the best.

The PM crowd is particularly fun to watch, regardless the current market activity.

Price goes down? TIME TO BUY!
Price goes up? TOLD YA SO!

They are emotionally attached to the commodity because it makes them feeeeeel good, and they don't realize that it clouds their judgement and leads to irrational actions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really don't think silver can fall under 15 dollars in the current economic situation. Same with gold under 1000.

what's that famous saying -- "the market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

with respect to silver, I just wait for Plattekill or buck19delta to make a prediction -- and then I do the opposite.  

a) http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/676681__ARCHIVED_THREAD____The_best_way_to_buy_large_amounts_of_silver_gold_without_compromising_your_OPSEC.html&page=5#i11574395

b) http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1670086__ARCHIVED_THREAD_____2000_to_invest__Update_on_page_5_3_2_.html&page=1#i49556017

ar-jedi

I love the guarantees and predictions from the archived threads.

They are the best.

The PM crowd is particularly fun to watch, regardless the current market activity.

They are emotionally attached to the commodity because it makes them feeeeeel good, and they don't realize that it clouds their judgement and leads to irrational actions.

I'm not sure which "PM crowd" you're referring to here. Some of us buy PMs over time just like we pay for insurance on our car/house/life/guns/etc over time. Some of us buy PMs because we believe in a "hedge" against losing our wealth via currency or financial system collapse (which is far less unlikely now than it was a decade ago). Buying PMs is also very much like having food, water, guns and ammo stored up for a disaster. Are any of those "irrational actions"? Don't think so, more like "prudent actions". Heck, even "professional" portfolio advisers now are saying you should have somewhere between 5 and 10 percent of your portfolio as PMs as a hedge against disaster. (Well, more like a hedge against an MF Global, AIG, Lehman type disaster.)

I will say that the only time I've ever actually sold any PMs was when I sold a bunch of silver at $48 an ounce. Not at the tippy-top, but pretty darn close. That said, I just don't see buying them as "investment grade" purchases.

Now, to be fair, there are those vultures that advertise on TV trying to scare people into buying PMs. There's also the ones trying to claim PMs are a great investment. My own philosophy is that volatility on the order of 2-4% on a daily basis doesn't really make for an attractive buy-and-hold kind of investment, particularly when there is documented evidence of deliberate market manipulation. So, yeah there are some people whose judgement is clouded by fear and clever marketing.

I don't happen to be one of them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm not sure which "PM crowd" you're referring to here. Some of us buy PMs over time just like we pay for insurance on our car/house/life/guns/etc over time. Some of us buy PMs because we believe in a "hedge" against losing our wealth via currency or financial system collapse (which is far less unlikely now than it was a decade ago). Buying PMs is also very much like having food, water, guns and ammo stored up for a disaster. Are any of those "irrational actions"? Don't think so, more like "prudent actions". Heck, even "professional" portfolio advisers now are saying you should have somewhere between 5 and 10 percent of your portfolio as PMs as a hedge against disaster. (Well, more like a hedge against an MF Global, AIG, Lehman type disaster.)

I will say that the only time I've ever actually sold any PMs was when I sold a bunch of silver at $48 an ounce. Not at the tippy-top, but pretty darn close. That said, I just don't see buying them as "investment grade" purchases.

Now, to be fair, there are those vultures that advertise on TV trying to scare people into buying PMs. There's also the ones trying to claim PMs are a great investment. My own philosophy is that volatility on the order of 2-4% on a daily basis doesn't really make for an attractive buy-and-hold kind of investment, particularly when there is documented evidence of deliberate market manipulation. So, yeah there are some people whose judgement is clouded by fear and clever marketing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really don't think silver can fall under 15 dollars in the current economic situation. Same with gold under 1000.

what's that famous saying -- "the market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

with respect to silver, I just wait for Plattekill or buck19delta to make a prediction -- and then I do the opposite.  

a) http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/676681__ARCHIVED_THREAD____The_best_way_to_buy_large_amounts_of_silver_gold_without_compromising_your_OPSEC.html&page=5#i11574395

b) http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1670086__ARCHIVED_THREAD_____2000_to_invest__Update_on_page_5_3_2_.html&page=1#i49556017

ar-jedi

They are the best.

I think the point is that some people scream buy at any price, and believe that no matter what the price will rise and make them money.

Others actually do buy low and sell high.

Personally in this economic situation I'll be buying a bit at a time under around 20 an ounce. If in the next few years the price goes above 40 an ounce I'll start selling. Otherwise I'll just hang on to it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you guys sell your silver?
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
NM ^ Still curious about that though. I'm a novice for sure having only a few troy oz .
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

They are the best.

The ones in the linked threads who made bold predictions guarantees that turned out to be false.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

<snip>

The ones in the linked threads who made bold predictions guarantees that turned out to be false.
View Quote

Got it.

I think it's ridiculous to make any predictions, much less guarantees, about the price of a commodity that has proven itself to be both volatile and, based on the fines imposed, manipulated deliberately by large financial institutions and has little to no actual connection to the supply and demand fundamentals that <should> be setting the price.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NM ^ Still curious about that though. I'm a novice for sure having only a few troy oz .
View Quote

There are many websites that pay reasonably close to spot for silver. You can sell locally to pawn shops for about 75% of spot. Craigslist and ebay usually bring spot plus 2-10% depending on what you have. I've had good luck selling at garage sales, gun shows, and facebook ads too. Seems like everyone always wants to buy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Silver spent some hours in the high $13's today
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Price drops 50 cents, the spread on silver goes up a dollar. If only you could actually buy near spot....
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Price drops 50 cents, the spread on silver goes up a dollar. If only you could actually buy near spot....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the trouble with the price of premium over spot goes up.  Mike Maloney in a recent interview with Harry Dent says its possible that paper gold could go down to $700 but he added that you probably couldn't pick up physical gold at that price unless you paid hundreds in premium over spot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't think I would see this  ---so soon...

Solidly in upper $13's today...

Buy-Sell spread on Eagles today is abt $3.50

Folks are still holding a healthy premium on the PHYSICAL, as mentioned the past few days in the Gold Thread...

But--- I expect that premium will ADJUST -down, in another month...

20 coin rolls are selling on eBay for ~$350 to $380 [w/ free shipping usually] average in the past day...

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Car repair takes precedent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Dow and S&P sucking gas too...

Losing my ass, hand over fist...

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dow and S&P sucking gas too...

Losing my ass, hand over fist...

View Quote
What caused the massive drop at open? What did I miss?

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Typical pre-Fed meeting plunge/volatility, I expect a nice rally once the stupid rate hike actually happens.  Earnings in January should be good also.  Smart $$$ buying the dips here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm not seeing the danger of buying, as long as there is a definitive way of testing the coins.  If you buy from a major dealer, your chances of being swindled are much less.  Same as buying a car.  Know what you are getting, and buy from someone with a proven reputation.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:40:50 AM EDT
[#18]
The silver bubble is beyond comical, yet also deeply saddening.

2011 - Price fluctuates between $35 and $50 for a full year, with people thinking it's the new norm and a safe bet.
2011-2015 - Steady decline, massive value lost for investors
2015 - Price threatens to go above $15 and people get super excited.  We're taling 75% "value" has already been LOST (paid for by previous foolish PM fanatics), SILVER IS IN THE NEGATIVE BY A MASSIVE MARGIN, and yet people are still excited to jump back on BECAUSE IT CAN ONLY GO UP FROM HERE.

Seriously guys, open your eyes to the reality of the market.  

It's utterly embarrassing that the political base the gun industry depends upon is so ass backwards when it comes to investing and "FREE MARKET PRINCIPLES IN ACTION".   Wake up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm no expert, but I like ~$14/oz recognizable silver rounds and pre-'65 US coins.  I'm more of a buy and hold guy..  If it goes lower, I'm good.  If higher than $18, I'll wait.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

2011 - Price fluctuates between $35 and $50 for a full year, with people thinking it's the new norm and a safe bet.
2015 - Price threatens to go above $15 and people get super excited.  We're taling 75% "value" has already been LOST (paid for by previous foolish PM fanatics), SILVER IS IN THE NEGATIVE BY A MASSIVE MARGIN, and yet people are still excited to jump back on BECAUSE IT CAN ONLY GO UP FROM HERE.

Seriously guys, open your eyes to the reality of the market

It's utterly embarrassing that the political base the gun industry depends upon is so ass backwards when it comes to investing and "FREE MARKET PRINCIPLES IN ACTION".   Wake up.
View Quote

Thank you. Apparently you are unaware that there has been no free market in America since the creation of the Presidential Working Group on Financial Matters.  Even when he was Sect. of Treasury Tiny Tim Geitner admitted that the market was manipulated.  It's no secret that  paper metal is used to artificially drive prices down and keep the charade of fiat as viable currency going.  Yes there were certainly better things to put ones currency in from 2007-2015 (Nov. but not Dec.) but that depends on whether one was willing to expose themselves to loss.  The free market is waiting to take over and when it does, there can be a hockey puck which is truncated by a clamp down on the sale or exchange of PMs (Peter Schiff warned of this years ago).
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you. Apparently you are unaware that there has been no free market in America since the creation of the Presidential Working Group on Financial Matters.  Even when he was Sect. of Treasury Tiny Tim Geitner admitted that the market was manipulated.  It's no secret that  paper metal is used to artificially drive prices down and keep the charade of fiat as viable currency going.  Yes there were certainly better things to put ones currency in from 2007-2015 (Nov. but not Dec.) but that depends on whether one was willing to expose themselves to loss.  The free market is waiting to take over and when it does, there can be a hockey puck which is truncated by a clamp down on the sale or exchange of PMs (Peter Schiff warned of this years ago).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously guys, open your eyes to the reality of the market

Good Post!!!

[change 'there' to 'they'  and 'be' to 'become'...]

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes there were certainly better things to put ones currency in from 2007-2015 (Nov. but not Dec.) but that depends on whether one was willing to expose themselves to loss.
View Quote

Such as the 50% loss in value of silver or 22% in gold from 5 years ago?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes there were certainly better things to put ones currency in from 2007-2015 (Nov. but not Dec.) but that depends on whether one was willing to expose themselves to loss.

Yes, the stock market (and in certain area housing) was a better place if one wanted to grow their wealth.  I wouldn't buy stocks now though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Since I don't have a crystal ball...

I am happy to have preserved my wealth during the 2000's...

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, the stock market (and in certain area housing) was a better place if one wanted to grow their wealth.  I wouldn't buy stocks now though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been hearing not to buy stocks for years now, and that PMs were the way to go. I failed to heed that advice and made a nice profit.   PMs lost 22-50% in the last 5 years while the market has done great.  PMs weren't just a worse investment over that time, they were a terrible store of wealth.  There are no guarantees and PMs are no different.  I think that important fact is lost in many of these discussions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've been hearing not to buy stocks for years now, and that PMs were the way to go. I failed to heed that advice and made a nice profit.   PMs lost 22-50% in the last 5 years while the market has done great.  PMs weren't just a worse investment over that time, they were a terrible store of wealth.  There are no guarantees and PMs are no different.  I think that important fact is lost in many of these discussions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PMs are not an investment.  They're a hedge against the failure of fiat and paper.  Let's see what happens after the Fed Bd meets on Wed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

PMs are not an investment.  They're a hedge against the failure of fiat and paper.  Let's see what happens after the Fed Bd meets on Wed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless of the limited role people want to assign them, they are still subject to market forces and their value can vary like anything else.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#28]
If folks could buy at $13 per oz, the future movement might likely be UP...

I bought S-Eagles at $8 per coin, so I am WAY ahead... Even in this collapsing mgt.

The inflation cost was not an issue to me because these were 'insurance'  -a form of insurance not available otherwise [without counter-party risk]

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Moving towards $13.5

Who's putting their truck where their mouth was a year ago???

AM Eagles BU in qty are as low as $17 on eBay. Free shipping on most...

Hard to resist...

Considering I bought rolls of them for ~$8 ea in the early '90's IIRC.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Regardless of the limited role people want to assign them, they are still subject to market forces and their value can vary like anything else.
View Quote

Absolutely true.  Just wait for the manipulation to stop and then it's a moonshot (or until trading is closed).
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Ag bounced back into the $14's after the Fed rate hike of a measly 1/4 point.

Bought a few hundred Am-Eagles at ~less than $18 per coin at the recent bottom of ~$13.65 spot, off ebay.

Free shipping and no tax. Lotsa premium but I don't care.

Vs. eBay, some of the fancy coin dealers recommended here, want over $20/coin  

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm really liking the Silver Towne bars.  Good for presents too.  Need to grab some.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Absolutely true.  Just wait for the manipulation to stop and then it's a moonshot (or until trading is closed).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes you think manipulation is going to "stop" and how long are you willing to hold your breath waiting?
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Chart AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME...

Looks like scoping both outputs of an inverter w/ a dual trace oscilloscope...

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What makes you think manipulation is going to "stop" and how long are you willing to hold your breath waiting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same thing as man v. nature.  Man can alter nature only so long before the latter breaks free.  Free market trumps manipulation.  The physical will break from the paper.  

The only other tool left to keep physical from a moon shot will be declared market holidays.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Same thing as man v. nature.  Man can alter nature only so long before the latter breaks free.  Free market trumps manipulation.  The physical will break from the paper.  

The only other tool left to keep physical from a moon shot will be declared market holidays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At what point will the manipulation become impossible?
Seems like anything that prevents a doomer's prediction in any market is handwaved as manipulation like its a magic wand that makes failed predictions go away.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#37]
When?

When COMEX can't deliver on the contracts, or
when physical delivery becomes difficult or near impossible, or
when major depository vaults declare force majeure, or
when confidence is lost in fiat, or
when hyper-inflation sets in.

Take your pick.  I think most of the above will be almost concurrent with one another and that we have less than a year now that the FOMC has increased the interest rate to 0.25%.  BTW, I like your attitude and I certainly hope your confidence in fiat never wanes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When?

Take your pick.  I think most of the above will be almost concurrent with one another and that we have less than a year now that the FOMC has increased the interest rate to 0.25%.  BTW, I like your attitude and I certainly hope your confidence in fiat never wanes.
View Quote

I don't have a lot of "confidence" in any of it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When?

OK by me.  Most of my friends share in your normalcy bias.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Mine too!

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:51:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When?

Well, I hope you're as good at reading the market as you are at reading people.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When?

Thank you for quaffing the Kool Aid and for drinking my portion.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When?

Kool Aid comes in many flavors, everyone can find one they like.  

Before degenerating any further into GD, I'll agree to disagree with you on the predictability of silver.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Beat to death. keep a small portion of your wealth in PM and move on with life. You will not convince pm fanbois that using low cost index funds and tax deferred strategies, and the like, is anything other than sheep behavior.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Found this historical chart on StockCharts.com

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're still dodging half the question.

How long is "so long"?

One year? Five? Twenty? When entropy and heat death turn the universe dark?

If gold or silver continue a long, slow decline or remain stagnant for the next 20 or 30 years (as they HAVE in living memory) while inflation grinds away in fits and spurts (as it HAS in living memory) are you really prepared to stay committed to watching your actual purchasing power dwindle away? Because "fiat" and because "manipulation" and because "nature"? Really?

You realize that silver is first and foremost an industrial metal, that unlike gold, it's mined and consumed, its cost for physical delivery greatly dependent upon economic demand, yes?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're still dodging half the question.

How long is "so long"?

One year? Five? Twenty? When entropy and heat death turn the universe dark?

If gold or silver continue a long, slow decline or remain stagnant for the next 20 or 30 years (as they HAVE in living memory) while inflation grinds away in fits and spurts (as it HAS in living memory) are you really prepared to stay committed to watching your actual purchasing power dwindle away? Because "fiat" and because "manipulation" and because "nature"? Really?

You realize that silver is first and foremost an industrial metal, that unlike gold, it's mined and consumed, its cost for physical delivery greatly dependent upon economic demand, yes?
View Quote

You might want to read Karl Denninger's book, Leverage.  If you can't find it at the library, do some reading on the following subjects:

Trade imbalance and its affect on a nation's economy
Quantitative Easing 1-3 and its affect
World Reserve Currency
Fiat Currency

As for how long, less than a year now.  BTW, thank you for your skepticism.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Look at this 'drop' back to where Ag was a week or so ago -at this moment

[---chart is updated automatically frequently...]

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top