Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 8:54:34 PM EDT
Suppose you have your regular Bug. Out. Bag on board a small (under 30ft) boat, what specific "Marine" items would you pack in a "Boat Bug Out Bag"?

Lets assume the boat can easily pass a Coast Guard Safety inspection, w/ out the contents of the Backpack.

All items must fit inside a standard backpack:

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Charts
GPS
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd upgrade the bag to a Skorch or something like it.  

And it sounds obvious, but you should keep a pre-built fishing kit onboard in a Flambeau Tuff Tainer. Basics to catch some meat (assuming saltwater if youre in FL) : a few packets of sabikis, a clark spoon rigged on a handline spool, silver and gold spoons, jig heads and plastics, cajun thunder rigs, sinkers in various sizes, wire, couple flouro or mono leader sizes, swivels, several packets of varied hooks, pliers.  We always have a tiny ice-fishing rod/reel tucked onboard (and in the cars) loaded with 20lb braid.  You would not believe how much fish that thing has caught - mangroves, pompano, grunts, jacks, reds, trout.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Many years ago after a cold weather boating accident and the immediate search afterwards for my friend, whose body we found 5 days later, I changed a number of things in my boating routine.  Not just due to his death but the extremes we went through that day as well.

I wear a lanyard that has a whistle and fire on it.  If I make it to shore I have that.

I carry a double edged river knife, one side is fully serrated to cut rope or line.  I have another clipped to a day pack.

There is a waterproof sealine bag kept near where I am most likely to bail from.  Waterproof and it floats.

Even my fishing rags/hand towels have all been upgraded to synthetic.  If you need to dry off you want a synthetic towel.  It has other uses as well.

Handheld radio is waterproof.  Whistles, mirrors, flares, triox bars, other tinder, heavy casualty blanket, synthetic towel, paracord, extra clothing for layers, all synthetic like Columbia and under armour.  Other stuff like posted above.  It does double duty since you can use these things while on board AND you know what you have.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top