Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2015 12:24:54 PM EDT
Doing research trying to find the information to order the on sale propane conversion kit, and I discovered that the Powermate generator uses a chinese made honda clone engine. Powermate went out of business, and was bought by Coleman. Parts are through online only (carb gasket is $28, BTW).

Reason I bring this up, is I was going to look for a 240v generator as a big brother to my Briggs 3500 watt 120v generator. My brother bought the Powermate for running his camper (including AC), but hasn't put any real hours on it yet. I was considering getting one too due to they seem to provide a lot of features for the price. Little scared of Chonda with little support, though. No local parts either.

Any experience with them? Menards puts them on a good sale a few times a year.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had one for several years, starts every time and runs smooth in all emergencies so far. Have about 36 hours on it total.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have had one for several years, starts every time and runs smooth in all emergencies so far. Have about 36 hours on it total.

View Quote
Do you know if that was pre-Colemand or after Coleman? I neglected to ask when Coleman acquired the name when I was on the phone with the rep.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Pre Coleman.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Coleman one.  It has a Yamaha engine in it.  Runs great.  No issues.  Has a couple of hundred hours on it.  It's very quiet.  I just ordered the trifuel kit too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Post a picture of it or the model number if you have it.  
A lot of the Chinese Honda clones are all based on the same model and the same Honda engine.  They just rebadge them with the respective company's stickers.
Look at Champion, they have a really good US based support system for parts and service help.  A carb gasket from Honda, Champion, or Powermate should all be the same if they are based on the same engine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any experience with them?
View Quote

I bought the 3KW version about a year ago, back when Home Depot had them on sale for around $230, IIRC.

I haven't put many hours on it yet, but have been very satisfied so far - Good build quality, always starts on the first or second pull, reasonably quiet, decent power quality (has an AVR circuit),  and has a decent assortment of AC outlets on the front (including a 240 VAC outlet).

Powermate went out of business, and was bought by Coleman.
View Quote

Nope - Powermate is still around.

However, they no longer license the "Coleman" name from the Coleman Company - which is why their current models no longer make any reference to "Coleman".

ETA: thederrick106 also owns the same 3KW model - You might PM him for his input.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
^^ Interesting. When I was on the phone looking for information for the propane kit, the sales rep informed me that Coleman acquired Powermate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]
You might also take a look at this $240 B&S model.

Pros:
1. Cheap, with free shipping to local store for customer pick-up.
2. Decent 3.5 KW continuous power output, with impressive 4.3KW surge capacity.
3. Has a 30 amp 120 volt outlet - very handy for connecting to an RV.
4. Includes a wheel kit - and at roughly 120 pounds, you'll appreciate it!
5. Includes an hour meter - Very handy for routine maintenance.
6. 2 year warranty.
7. Sold by B&S, so parts should be readily available.

Cons:
1. No 240 volt outlets.
2. No low oil level shutoff.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got one... think it's the 5500 watt model.  Pretty solid, has gotten us through several multiple-day power outages.  I don't think it's ever taken more than three pulls to start, even after sitting for several months.  (I know, I know, should be exercising monthly, but it doesn't always happen   )
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've got one... think it's the 5500 watt model.  Pretty solid, has gotten us through several multiple-day power outages.  I don't think it's ever taken more than three pulls to start, even after sitting for several months.  (I know, I know, should be exercising monthly, but it doesn't always happen   )
View Quote
I have the same one. Have 36 hours on it. No problems yet. Run the 240 outlet to my panel and can run everything I need to off of it with no issues at all.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You might also take a look at this $240 B&S model.

http://www.skibane.com/B&S_3.5KW.jpg

Pros:

1. Cheap, with free shipping to local store for customer pick-up.

2. Decent 3.5 KW continuous power output, with impressive 4.3KW surge capacity.

3. Has a 30 amp 120 volt outlet - very handy for connecting to an RV.

4. Includes a wheel kit - and at roughly 120 pounds, you'll appreciate it!

5. Includes an hour meter - Very handy for routine maintenance.

6. 2 year warranty.

7. Sold by B&S, so parts should be readily available.

Cons:

1. No 240 volt outlets.

2. No low oil level shutoff.

View Quote
I actually have a very similar model, it is a Brute (by Briggs). 3500 continuous, but 5350 surge. No hour meter, but low oil shutdown. No 240. Its been a great generator. I was eyeing its big brother (5500 continuous, 8350? surge) with 240, but the powermate offered a couple more features at a lower cost.

Think I will stay with a briggs brand so I can get parts and skip the Chonda.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out Champion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top