Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spoken like a true urban dweller.    

Here in the country, I use my gun at least 3 times a year. Can you shoot a skunk running across your yard 70 yards out with a pistol and hit it on the move? My trunk gun can! Can it shoot a coyote harassing your neighbors' cattle 180 yards out? A long gun can. Some of us live in areas where theft is at a minimum, and guns are used frequently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A rifle in my GHB would be more of a liability than an asset in most plausible situations.  I already have a CCW. There is nowhere along any route that I drive with any regularity where a long gun would be at all acceptable outside of a literal EOTWAWKI type situation. Adding a considerable weight to the bag would just hinder my movement. Water, minor first aid, rain gear, light...there really isn't much needed. Another factor is that the odds of it being stolen are incalculably greater than the odds of needing a long gun.  I tend to work from most likely to least likely situations.  In most likely situations the rifle would be at best useless, and at worst a liability.

Here in the country, I use my gun at least 3 times a year. Can you shoot a skunk running across your yard 70 yards out with a pistol and hit it on the move? My trunk gun can! Can it shoot a coyote harassing your neighbors' cattle 180 yards out? A long gun can. Some of us live in areas where theft is at a minimum, and guns are used frequently.

This describes what my "truck gun" does. Mine comes out to play at least once a month. Usually twice a month. About the same frequency that my truck goes off road.

When I lived in the city, though, Sixpack's description was probably more fitting for me, however my stubborn ass still kept an AK in the trunk but it never got used.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A rifle in my GHB would be more of a liability than an asset in most plausible situations.  I already have a CCW. There is nowhere along any route that I drive with any regularity where a long gun would be at all acceptable outside of a literal EOTWAWKI type situation. Adding a considerable weight to the bag would just hinder my movement. Water, minor first aid, rain gear, light...there really isn't much needed. Another factor is that the odds of it being stolen are incalculably greater than the odds of needing a long gun.  I tend to work from most likely to least likely situations.  In most likely situations the rifle would be at best useless, and at worst a liability.

1.  I said "I" and "me." I don't need to shoot skunks or coyotes.
2. Theft out here is less than a lot of rural areas.
3. Get Home Bags and truck guns are neither related nor mutually exclusive.

You know your particular requirements, I know mine.  The idea of a GHB to me at least is limited to what I need to get home.  Even if I did have skunks to shoot, it really wouldn't factor in as a GHB requirement.  If I was in an area like you describe, having a truck gun would be another story, and would likely influence the choice of rifle more than the GHB requirement. What is your trunk gun?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You know your particular requirements, I know mine.  The idea of a GHB to me at least is limited to what I need to get home.  Even if I did have skunks to shoot, it really wouldn't factor in as a GHB requirement.  If I was in an area like you describe, having a truck gun would be another story, and would likely influence the choice of rifle more than the GHB requirement. What is your trunk gun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not speaking for Neighborhood, but for me my truck gun and ghb are related because if I am walking that means I have left my truck for some reason. If I leave my truck, I'm not leaving my rifle, so I plan on breaking it down and putting it in my bag.

But yeah, everyone has a little different requirements. Like I don't have a lot cold weather gear in my bag/truck because it doesn't get that cold here. If I lived in Boston my ghb would be super different.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not speaking for Neighborhood, but for me my truck gun and ghb are related because if I am walking that means I have left my truck for some reason. If I leave my truck, I'm not leaving my rifle, so I plan on breaking it down and putting it in my bag.

But yeah, everyone has a little different requirements. Like I don't have a lot cold weather gear in my bag/truck because it doesn't get that cold here. If I lived in Boston my ghb would be super different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's addressing the issue from the other side.  You have a truck gun, and need to pack it up if you leave your truck. The OP was asking what (or if he should have a) gun specifically for a GHB.  Carrying a rifle in your truck for convenience or because they are handy to have in your area is different from considering it a requirement for a GHB.  Now having said that, yes, not leaving your rifle is a consideration since you already have one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm the OP:  My reason for considering a takedown 22 is so I can carry it concealed in my GHB without scaring innocents.  (Out of sight = out of mind).  I'm hardly ever more than 100 miles from home, but 100 miles for an old retired excop is a long long walk.  So I figured it would be nice to be able to carry an accurate takedown 22 for wild dogs, rabbits, and maybe even bad-guys if the need arises.  I live on the Tex-Mex border and there are plenty of gangs here and some mean and hungry wild dogs too.  

However, if I still lived in the Northern Rockies my choice might be different.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Having an inexpensive long arm available in your trunk separate from your GHB gives you both options. You can take it or not.

We have tools in our vehicle that may or may not be needed. This can be one of them.

As for theft from the vehicle, well keep it locked in a tool box or pelican case so the thief has to break into the vehicle and still have to break into or steal the locked/chained box.

Plus if its not an expensive gun any theft loss is minimal.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a cheap AR and 6 mags that I keep in my truck.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say KelTec Sub2000.  It can share mags with a number of handguns, is light and can be carried discreetly but quickly deployed.  As a subgun it doesn't have as much power as a rifle, but it greatly extends your range over a handgun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Having an inexpensive long arm available in your trunk separate from your GHB gives you both options. You can take it or not.

We have tools in our vehicle that may or may not be needed. This can be one of them.

As for theft from the vehicle, well keep it locked in a tool box or pelican case so the thief has to break into the vehicle and still have to break into or steal the locked/chained box.

Plus if its not an expensive gun any theft loss is minimal.

View Quote

You now not wanting it stolen or the possibility of having to ditch it has made me pause but maybe a cheap H&R in 308 or 223?
I would have a 17L with 33rd mags for suppression if needed..
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
GHBs are kind of like shoes. What fits one person may not fit another, at all.
You may have a perfectly acceptable GHB, for getting from your job in Manhattan, back to your apartment, twelve or fourteen blocks away.
My job is right at 90 miles from where I live.
Your bag, optimized for your locale, would prove very inadequate for my needs.
My bag (and ancillary gear), would be overly burdensome, and probably a liability for this guy in Manhattan.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Mossy 500 and different type of shells from birdshot, #4, buckshot and slugs. I'm in the country also and frequently encouter snakes, wild dogs, yotes, etc. The Mossy is a beater and I wouldn't be to crushed if it got stolen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
My determining factor is where I am going and what I am doing for the day. Some days I am only a few miles from home . On other days I can be 30+ miles out. . Its easy enough for me to add a long gun if needed. i have several that I choose from. It's always good to see the opinions of others.
RLTW
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm the OP:  My point in considering a takedown 22 is so I can carry it in my GHB without scaring innocents.  (Out of sight = out of mind).  I'm hardly ever more than 100 miles from home, but 100 miles for an old retired excop is a long long walk.  So I figured it would be nice to be able to carry an accurate takedown 22 for wild dogs, rabbits, and maybe even bad-guys out to +/- 75yards if the need arises.  I live on the Tex-Mex border and there are plenty of gangs here. Some mean and hungry wild dogs too.  

However, if I still lived in the Northern Rockies my choice might be different.
View Quote

I think if its in your GHB, whether its a 10/22 or AR/AK, you wouldn't be scaring anyone. But the second part in blue, would make me lean towards something with a little more oomph (AR/AK). Just in case.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#15]
OK OK you all win I am going to build an inexpensive AR pistol to keep in the truck when more than 3 miles from home.
.556 or 300?
How do I secure that bag so I can leave it in the truck? Ideas?

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OK OK you all win I am going to build an inexpensive AR pistol to keep in the truck when more than 3 miles from home.
.556 or 300?

View Quote

When working in a bad part of town I used to lace a cable lock through Molle in a few key spots.  Attached that to the seat or door handle.  Not going tO stop anyone with tools but the smash and grab was my main concern.  Plus I could see my vehicle from my office.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.556 or 300?

View Quote

Depends on how much you want to spend. Truck Vault depending on your truck model. Pricey.

Tool box if you have one.

Hide it under the backseat out of sight and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#18]
TS says:
I think if its in your GHB, whether its a 10/22 or AR/AK, you wouldn't be scaring anyone. But the second part in blue, would make me lean towards something with a little more oomph (AR/AK). Just in case.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More ooomph is always good if it conceals well and fits your other requirements.  But a GHB needs to be small and lightweight if you are older like me, which eliminates many options that are too long to conceal in my GHB or too heavy to carry 100 miles.

Bear in mind that openly carrying an AR/AK in a SHTF situation is going to make you a target of the military, law-enforcement and bad guys (and maybe even the good-guys).  And I say this as an excop who has worked the streets during 3 major riots.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
TS says:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More ooomph is always good if it conceals well and fits your other requirements.  But a GHB needs to be small and lightweight if you are older like me, which eliminates many options that are too long to conceal in my GHB or too heavy to carry 100 miles.

Bear in mind that openly carrying an AR/AK in a SHTF situation is going to make you a target of the military, law-enforcement and bad guys (and maybe even the good-guys).  And I say this as an excop who has worked the streets during 3 major riots.

View Quote

OP is talking about fitting it in his GHB, not open carrying it. I would much rather have a lightweight AR, or AR pistol in my bag, than a 10/22. That's just me.  Weight is always a consideration.

Of course your going to draw attention to yourself and could become a target for good or bad guys if your walking down the street with a long gun. Point is to have it in your bag, for the bad guys, not walk down the street with it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#21]
If I had to walk 100 miles home, Id be like "guess I live here now".

Im all for having a truck/trunk gun, but having one only for stuffing in a GHB is silly till you workout the travel plans first.

Think this thru. If its broken down in your pack, its worthless for self defense. If your not carrying for SD but for hunting, your better off with 5lbs more water/food.

I know this is a gun forum, but you would be better off with a take down bicycle then a take down rifle. Hell, even a jogging stroller would be more helpful as you could bring more food/water/shelter and not have to carry it.

100 miles is no joke on foot.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Sub-2000 in my backpack is mag-compatible with the Glock . . .
View Quote

If I could carry one in my vehicle without getting fired, this is what I would do.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If I had to walk 100 miles home, Id be like "guess I live here now".

Im all for having a truck/trunk gun, but having one only for stuffing in a GHB is silly till you workout the travel plans first.

Think this thru. If its broken down in your pack, its worthless for self defense. If your not carrying for SD but for hunting, your better off with 5lbs more water/food.

I know this is a gun forum, but you would be better off with a take down bicycle then a take down rifle. Hell, even a jogging stroller would be more helpful as you could bring more food/water/shelter and not have to carry it.

100 miles is no joke on foot.
View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you used one before? I thought I wanted a 10/22 take down but tried one and found them to be too much of a sacrifice in accuracy with the whole barrel coming off the gun thing, and you may have trouble with it returning to zero.
View Quote

I can hit a quarter with mine at 50 yards every time. More often than not I can hit a 2" circle off hand at 50 yards. This is with tech sights.
If I get stuck using my ghb right now my trip home is over 2000 miles. I would want my takedown 10/22 more than anything.  Light and accurate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you get one, you mightbe surprised to find that you cannot mount sights or scopes to the receiver - at least not if you want to retain the Zero from one shooting session to another.  It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for the Takedown to retain zero if you mount sights or optics of any kind to the receiver - because the barrel will ALWAYS have a slightly different position to the receiver every time you take it apart and put it together.  Over time the attachment method wears and is less and less tight, making accuracy relative to the receiver worse and worse as time goes on...

This can all be alleviated though - if you mount your optic relative to the BARREL, and NOT THE RECEIVER.

http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/takedown_10-22.php

http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/images/takedown10-22/takedown_03.jpg

This allows your scope to remain fixed relative to the barrel, and thus it will never lose zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you used one before? I thought I wanted a 10/22 take down but tried one and found them to be too much of a sacrifice in accuracy with the whole barrel coming off the gun thing, and you may have trouble with it returning to zero.

Never have even seen one in person, but the net reviews were all very positive.  If I get one I'll review it here.

If you get one, you mightbe surprised to find that you cannot mount sights or scopes to the receiver - at least not if you want to retain the Zero from one shooting session to another.  It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for the Takedown to retain zero if you mount sights or optics of any kind to the receiver - because the barrel will ALWAYS have a slightly different position to the receiver every time you take it apart and put it together.  Over time the attachment method wears and is less and less tight, making accuracy relative to the receiver worse and worse as time goes on...

This can all be alleviated though - if you mount your optic relative to the BARREL, and NOT THE RECEIVER.

http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/takedown_10-22.php

http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/images/takedown10-22/takedown_03.jpg

This allows your scope to remain fixed relative to the barrel, and thus it will never lose zero.

My takedown has no such issues. The lock up is adjustable as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My takedown has no such issues. The lock up is adjustable as well.
View Quote

Can you explain that please? I'm new to the breakdown 10/22.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It has alignment & tension adjustment to increase consistency of lockup.

Some seem to think this is impervious to wear. Zero drift is not very apparent with factory iron sights since they are mounted in the barrel and so not change. Zero drift with tech sights is also virtually undetectable since the front sight still directs the point of aim. The largest problems stem from people using optics mounted solely to the receiver, and they have noted zero drift over time.

Mechanically, it is impossible to have identical lockup every time though. Thus many people mount their optics to the barrel.
View Quote

Changes in zero from wear would happen over years not minutes. You are not taking  big changes either.  We are talking about very small shifts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Hard to beat a Draco or PAP SBR, 30 caliber round. With the folding or underfolder stock, it doesn't take up much room. AR'S are more accurate, yes but it's not like your going shoot anything fifty yards away. Besides not only are most gun fights closer than twenty feet, it's hard to justify you felt your life was in danger from a hundred yards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#30]
My GHB's only component to firearms is an extra mag for my CC.

I have a beater shotgun in my the trunk in case I run across something that needs shooting. I don't see a practical application of a long gun in a GHB or usually even a BOB.

If its the end of the world, I'm never coming home, then sure, an AR is probably a good idea.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Steyr AUG with a 16" barrel.......

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#32]
This is the OP again with an update:

Bought a Ruger 10/22 Take Down 22LR SS DAVIDSONS special.  Took it to the range to sight it in.  Turns out it was defective and would not fire. Luckily Davidsons replaces any defective gun bought through them with a brand new one.  Mine is on the way back for an exchange.  I'll let you know what happens.  

On the plus side, the T-D came with a nice backpack with extra pockets for mags, ammo, etc., a 25rd mag and scope base.   The pack is about 21" long and looks like it will work out very well as a GHB for vehicle carry.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I can hit a quarter with mine at 50 yards every time. More often than not I can hit a 2" circle off hand at 50 yards. This is with tech sights.
If I get stuck using my ghb right now my trip home is over 2000 miles. I would want my takedown 10/22 more than anything.  Light and accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While at the range with my defective new Ruger T-D 10/22 I also had another lightweight Ruger 10/22 with me (not a T-D model) that I was sighting in with a new red dot.  At 25y it could keep all the shots in a group the size of a dime shooting off the bench with El Cheapo 22's.  Plenty good enough for small game (or whatever) out to probably 75y.  I have no reason to think that a T-D 10/22 would be any less accurate (as long as it's not defective, LOL!).  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

While at the range with my defective new Ruger T-D 10/22 I also had another lightweight Ruger 10/22 with me (not a T-D model) that I was sighting in with a new red dot.  At 25y it could keep all the shots in a group the size of a dime shooting off the bench with El Cheapo 22's.  Plenty good enough for small game (or whatever) out to probably 75y.  I have no reason to think that a T-D 10/22 would be any less accurate (as long as it's not defective, LOL!).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is wonderful.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I use either a AR pistol or a side folding AK. Both have earned plugs stored in the grip.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#36]
AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE!  (This is the OP again.)

Let me explain in detail, I ordered my Ruger 10/22 Take-Down SS from Davidsons Gallery of Guns a week ago for a very good price.  It was shipped to my local FFL dealer where I picked it up last Friday afternoon (3/20).  I didn't get to the range until Monday afternoon (3/23) to test it and sight it in.  There I immediately discovered that it was defective and would not fire.  Late that same afternoon I returned the 10/22 to my local dealer, and after he checked it out and agreed it was defective he said he would return it to Davidsons and they would exchange it for a new 10/22 as per Davidsons exceptional guarantee .  The very next day (late afternoon Tuesday 3/24) my FFL dealer called and advised me that my new 10/22 had already arrived from Davidsons and to pick it up the next morning Wednesday (3/25), which I did.  It was not only in brand new perfect condition but Davidsons included an extra 25rd mag for my trouble = two 25rd Ruger mags total in box.

I was shocked!  This was the best and fastest customer service replacement of a defective product I have ever experienced in my entire life.  I live in South Texas and Davidsons is in another state so they had to have shipped the replacement 10/22 via overnight delivery before they even got my original defective 10/22 back .  And I wasn't charged a penny for shipping either way!

How does the 10/22 T-D shoot?  1" groups on a white paper plate at 25y with Ruger's very bright fiber-optic iron sights that even my old eyes can see perfectly = red front, green rear.  And with the included compact backpack it makes for a very nice concealable long-gun GHB combo!

If you carry it broken down in the backpack it can be removed, assembled and loaded in less than one minute.  

And for those who don't think they need a long gun, I've worked the streets as a cop during 3 major riots and if you want to be prepared for the worst you will need an accurate long gun (not just a pistol) for the numerous dangerous situations that you are likely to face during SHTF scenarios.  A 10/22 isn't a combat rifle by any means, but it's a lot better than a pistol from 15-75 yards.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I found an issue with my 10/22 takedown today.
My rifle shoots a different poi when there is pressure towards the end of the stock compared to it resting right in front of the trigger guard/magazine area.
I pushed the takedown pin back towards the receiver as hard as I could, but there was still some wiggle to the rifle.

There's about 18" of difference at 50 yards depending on how I hold the rifle.

Anyone ever heard of this? Any fixes?
My intended use for this thing was small game/varmint hunting and a potential GHB gun... This is kind of a deal breaker for this gun, unless there is a way to fix this problem.

Scope is a Leupold VX2 1x4x24.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I also tested the return to zero ability after takedown. While I wasn't shooting off a solid bench and I was shooting rather quickly. I didn't experience the issues that iNuhBaDNayburhood did with his.

I did it 3 times in a row and the groups blended together. I might have noticed a difference under more precise shooting conditions, but it seemed to stay "minute of squirrel"...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I found an issue with my 10/22 takedown today.
My rifle shoots a different poi when there is pressure towards the end of the stock compared to it resting right in front of the trigger guard/magazine area.
I pushed the takedown pin back towards the receiver as hard as I could, but there was still some wiggle to the rifle.

There's about 18" of difference at 50 yards depending on how I hold the rifle.

Anyone ever heard of this? Any fixes?
My intended use for this thing was small game/varmint hunting and a potential GHB gun... This is kind of a deal breaker for this gun, unless there is a way to fix this problem.

Scope is a Leupold VX2 1x4x24.

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/9d024583-4059-4686-8455-a539dde9a9ac_zpsx26sega8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/9d024583-4059-4686-8455-a539dde9a9ac_zpsx26sega8.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/AAD763A2-7513-417A-B6BB-56377B11A88A_zpsqo6h7vn7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/AAD763A2-7513-417A-B6BB-56377B11A88A_zpsqo6h7vn7.jpg</a>
View Quote

Your nut isn't set right. No possible way to get that much play.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just messed with it, it did take about a quarter turn and seems tighter. I'll shoot it tomorrow to double check.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:57:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Steyr AUG.  22" OAL with barrel removed.  Fits very nicely in a large Sneaky T.O.T. bag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I just messed with it, it did take about a quarter turn and seems tighter. I'll shoot it tomorrow to double check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read your instruction book!  The way to tell if the nut is set properly is to tighten it ONE TINY CLICK at a time, then test it by reassembling and disassembling the rifle.  When the rifle gets almost too tight to assemble/disassemble back off ONE TINY CLICK and it is set perfectly and will not result in wandering groups = all shots will be hitting the exact same spot no matter how many times you disassemble/reassemble the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Read your instruction book!  The way to tell if the nut is set properly is to tighten it ONE TINY CLICK at a time, then test it by reassembling and disassembling the rifle.  When the rifle gets almost too tight to assemble/disassemble back off ONE TINY CLICK and it is set perfectly and will not result in wandering groups = all shots will be hitting the exact same spot no matter how many times you disassemble/reassemble the rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it tight and shot it today.... worked well. I took it down and reassembled it a few times and didn't lose zero. My 5 shot groups tightened up some too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Got it tight and shot it today.... worked well. I took it down and reassembled it a few times and didn't lose zero. My 5 shot groups tightened up some too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
agreed, and I've tested my 11.5 without plugs.  My ears mildly rang for 10 seconds

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how loud?... if you go with an AR style pistol, consider a linear comp like this LeVang... you can ALMOST shoot it without ear plugs

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/LesSnyder/002_zps8b44bd55.jpg
agreed, and I've tested my 11.5 without plugs.  My ears mildly rang for 10 seconds

OH my, not a good idea...  

That said, I'd forgotten too and let one rip... They are wonderfully effective for a small package...  

I haven't tried a special 'compensator' to reduce noise and would appreciate suggestions and would retrofit ASAP.

Our application is served best, in order of taking to the woods on foot and practical engagement considerations, by 5-7's, next AR pistols, then AR rifles. Or a mix of these.

Several other tool 'varients' are available for specific purposes, but for the most common aps, the above works best for us. Portability and effectiveness being the primary considerations.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE!  (This is the OP again.)

Let me explain in detail, I ordered my Ruger 10/22 Take-Down SS from Davidsons Gallery of Guns a week ago for a very good price.  It was shipped to my local FFL dealer where I picked it up last Friday afternoon (3/20).  I didn't get to the range until Monday afternoon (3/23) to test it and sight it in.  There I immediately discovered that it was defective and would not fire.  Late that same afternoon I returned the 10/22 to my local dealer, and after he checked it out and agreed it was defective he said he would return it to Davidsons and they would exchange it for a new 10/22 as per Davidsons exceptional guarantee .  The very next day (late afternoon Tuesday 3/24) my FFL dealer called and advised me that my new 10/22 had already arrived from Davidsons and to pick it up the next morning Wednesday (3/25), which I did.  It was not only in brand new perfect condition but Davidsons included an extra 25rd mag for my trouble = two 25rd Ruger mags total in box.

I was shocked!  This was the best and fastest customer service replacement of a defective product I have ever experienced in my entire life.  I live in South Texas and Davidsons is in another state so they had to have shipped the replacement 10/22 via overnight delivery before they even got my original defective 10/22 back .  And I wasn't charged a penny for shipping either way!

How does the 10/22 T-D shoot?  1" groups on a white paper plate at 25y with Ruger's very bright fiber-optic iron sights that even my old eyes can see perfectly = red front, green rear.  And with the included compact backpack it makes for a very nice concealable long-gun GHB combo!

If you carry it broken down in the backpack it can be removed, assembled and loaded in less than one minute.  

And for those who don't think they need a long gun, I've worked the streets as a cop during 3 major riots and if you want to be prepared for the worst you will need an accurate long gun (not just a pistol) for the numerous dangerous situations that you are likely to be faced with during SHTF scenarios.  

View Quote

Sounds like Davidsons is GTG

I checked to see if they had Five Sevens but it says all are spoken for. Like I need moar...

Ammo has gotten very low in cost for them now...  

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I've always like the idea of being able to create stand off distance with my GHB firearm. The long gun gives a much longer effective range but could be impractical for bugging out or getting home in a city or populated area.

I have been giving more thought to a .357 magnum revolver like a Ruger SP101 in 4". Flat enough to conceal nicely and I am sure I could make good use of it all the way out to 100 yards and further.

Everyone is thinking more firepower. I want to make accurate decisive shots. Plenty of range with the concealment of a pistol.

Not many folks will ever get good enough with a handgun to make accurate use of it. Especially at longer range. Nice having options.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top