Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 10:42:54 AM EDT
Been using paintless dent removal hot melt adhesive to this point. Works decent, provided I lightly pass the ferro rod with an alcohol wipe first.

Would like to glue some mini ferro rods to basically all my hunting rifles.

What adhesive have you all found to be the best?

I was thinking trying epoxy next.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Epoxy.

This sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
west systems marine grade epoxy i have used and it has held up well.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

you can also use a clear epoxy if it is for show, i have used some of this for knife handles and items that will show, i have used the steel impregnated epoxies for items that dont show, they all have held up well.
like jb weld.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_355112-81288-8277_4294729383__?productId=3389026&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1%26page%3D2&facetInfo=

and i have used superglue for some applications as well as gorilla glue
http://www.lowes.com/pd_556914-18562-77001_4294729383__?productId=50149300&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1%26page%3D2&facetInfo=

the modern adhesives al hold well, and are durable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes, a slightly flexible elastomeric adhesive turns out to be more durable than harder adhesives.

We like the grey urethane concrete crack sealer adhesive because it works for many things and cures to be slightly flexible.

~$5 a caulking tube at the box stores.

It's unlikely to crack off a surface from, say, a blow or temperature changes. It resists a lot of solvents, water especially.

Urethane adhesive is great stuff with countless uses!

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a two part epoxy.  I don't recall the brand right now, but when I have access to photobucket I will post a picture.

I am pretty sure its "permatex" brand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Two part epoxy is the way to go (although the urethane adhesives can be good too).  Get the slower cure stuff, most any brand will be good for your purpose.  The 5 minute epoxies are not completely waterproof and will loosen up with constant moisture.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a two part epoxy.  I don't recall the brand right now, but when I have access to photobucket I will post a picture.

I am pretty sure its "permatex" brand.
View Quote

Used that stuff on my key chain ferro rod that I made roughly 3 years ago.  It has been on my keys since and is still there... (knock on wood.)

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I glued fire steel in deer antler handles for some of the scouts in my Sons Boy Scout Troop and they loved them!  The two part epoxy worked great.  You can drill a hole or notch them with a file for a better bond before gluing.  Just be aware that the drill will catch the small pieces on fire .
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder how gorilla glue would do?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
BSI 2 part epoxy, or West systems. Both perform exceptionally. BSI is very reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Epoxy is an interesting idea but it may mar or damage the finish of the rifle/stock.  I think a hot glue gun is the best "adhesive" choice because it is non-permament/marring.  Painters tape might also be a consideration (for its ease of removal without leaving marks/damage...

Having said that, I would use something like this >>>

The zippered pouch behind the row of ammo loops can be used to carry any number of small items...  for your consideration...

Item available in a variety of colors/patterns for left or right handed shooters with or without ammo loops here and other locations...  Also, similar items may be had at a number of locations dealing in shooting accessories...

The pouch is large (long) enough to fit an ESEE Izula (in sheath) and tall/deep enough to fit a ferro rod and a few other small items along with the Izula...  and the whole thing is easy to install, remove, and/or move to another rifle...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top