Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

it worked out so fast, and so well....... and litterally.... a week later the property next door popped up for sale, in about the PERFECT location for my family, and my gf's family... that i have a damn hard time believing it was not serendipity , and meant to be. fate was smiling on me thats for sure. there were several ways it could have turned out badly for me.
View Quote

Sometimes it might not seem to make "perfect" sense, but it just feels right. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut on things. Good luck man, look forward to seeing how this new spot turns out for you.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a thought if you haven't considered it yet. I just ran power and water about 1000' up an established road that will become my driveway. My land is similar to yours in that it is pretty much all trees except a trail/ road through it.  It also has highs and lows like you describe.

What was once a solid, fairly smooth road is now a washed out mess.  Just running the power alone along one side of the road completely ruined it (high voltage line 4 feet underground). The company that ran the water later actually fixed most of the mess. It was actually nice, until it rained all weekend.

It's not too big of a deal, as my plan to finalize the road as a driveway comes after I've built a house.  I am still able to traverse it in my Jeep.  My wife can make it in her van, but just barely. If you share a road with others, I'd expect you would be responsible for fixing the road, which could add thousands to the cost.

Good luck. My land is literally 5 minutes away from my house. I spend multiple days a week there. I can't wait to build.  It will probably be a year before we can realistically think about starting to build. Enjoy the land and the process!
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the prayers, and well wishes. i also appreciate the ideas, and concerns as well. yes, there are concerns, and im doing my best to keep myself safe, everything legal and proper with no surprises... also... there is a new monthly budget now, adjusted for loss of income, and new property payment... and my debt ratio is great.. total monthly bills, including new land payment, rent, utilities, food, insurance, and all that... will be around 50% of my income.  so i have a very nice buffer against surprises. most will go into savings, or extra land payments. i will be spending money on small projects, like fencing, some land clearing, and food plots, cabin project, etc.  

everything is going well at the moment. still waiting for the lawyer to get the paperwork ready to close on the old land. it will hopefully be this week. im free from the payment though, as the buyer has started paying the payment. as soon as it closes, i will be closing on the new place within a few days, as they are ready.

we spent the weekend going over the land some more,  checking property lines, and everything seems fine... talked and met several neighbors who share property lines, and all seem good people. the hunting camp guy met me with a mosin slung on his back. he is probably a arfcomer from talking to him. he owns 60 acres, and is big into shooting and hunting, we seemed to hit it off, and exchanged numbers. hes already invited me out to hunt. we have plans to go hunting soon... guy seemed really friendly, and had a nice place. it was really positive and made me feel good about the neighbors.

we found a corn crib as i said before..... my project this summer will be remodeling it into a weekend cabin. basically a small 10x20' cabin, with wrap around porches, wood stove, and bunkbeds.. its going to be a mini off grid project for me to keep busy with... and be our weekend hang out, for us and the grand kids. a swing, firepit, bbq grill, etc. it will be my hunting cabin...i plan to  sleep over, make coffee on wood stove, and shoot deer off the porch.

im not exactly sure how i want to rebuild the roof, which will be the biggest thing to deal with... as its got a angle to it, and the low end is almost too low for what i want to do. if i put a porch on the rear, the wall is too short to allow for a porch roof......i could easily just add a porch on the high side, and add a roof to the high side, covering the porch, and just not have a roof on the porch in the back... but i really want one, to keep rain off me, and off firewood. also, the rear is the side id be hunting from, and i dont want to be in the rain.

so, im probably going to cut the high side down a couple feet, and raise the low side up a foot or two...... and rebuild a regular style roof, that will stick out 6' or so, and use posts to support it.  put a door in front and back, and a few windows..... and cover the sides in brown metal siding.... and put a new metal roof on it. and a wood stove. i want to keep it kind of original, but the best plan iv got at the moment, is to use metal sides..... for weather resistance, which will allow some insulation board... and keep interior walls original.... maybe scrounge some old barn wood for a few things on the inside.

thats 90% of the plan.  i need some tools before i can start tinkering. one thing i need is a decent welder... another is a miter saw.... some cordless power tools, and one of those harbor freight generators to run some tools.   now, this will not be anything complicated. a new roof, patch the floor, insulation board, and metal sides... add a couple doors and windows. bare unfinished barn wood oak floor, bare barn wood interior walls, ( probably bare studs) at the very most simple board walls.

basic plan is to clear the old road leading to it with my tractor.... then clear some brush and small trees from around it, and mow. once i get a decent "yard" area cleaned up, i will clean up the corn crib... remove the roof,  replace the floor, and start working on a new roof plan. i have several local sources for some old barn wood to use, to keep it authentic.

iv been on google, looking for some ideas on remodeling these things, and found this guys work.... thought you guys might like it.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f91/how-close-corn-crib-guest-cottage-50450/

https://plus.google.com/photos/104852053537336999271/albums/5286794195892736545?banner=pwa

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

you guys who are having problems, dont give up hope.... things can turn around and be great at anytime.
View Quote

Good advice
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good advice
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you guys who are having problems, dont give up hope.... things can turn around and be great at anytime.

Good advice

Agree...  Been there done that myself.  Glad things are moving forward buck!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top