Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2014 4:04:44 AM EDT
I have my BOB set up with MRE entrees and a few of the heaters for rations.  I was thinking of having snacks for "on the go" packed in there as well.  I was looking to stock pile on some edible snacks with a long shelf life.  Maybe like 3+ years?  What is out there?  This does not include the "best by" dates.  I'm talking about just enough before it makes you sick.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Peanuts store pretty well, if you store them (unopened, of course) in the original vac-packed cans.  I know I've opened some that were a couple years old and couldn't tell the difference between straight-from-the-store.  Raisins store a surprisingly long time too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently opened a box of raisins with a Best By date: 2007
1 Lb(?) box with sealed plastic bag inside a paper box.

Stored in a cool damp basement.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Millennium Food Bars work well.
They are 400cal size flavored SOS lifeboat rations.

You can also just buy some of the individual MRE pouches of cranberries, raisins, cereal bars, etc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of the granola type products seen to store pretty well
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can also just buy some of the individual MRE pouches of cranberries, raisins, cereal bars, etc.
View Quote

Thanks.  I was also researching other energy bars and gel shots and they all seem to last up to 1 year.  I will look into these.  The other suggestions are all good ideas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a huge fan of clif bars. I've eaten them 2-3 yrs old with no issues.  And the gel shots that were mentioned store well too. I've used 5yr ones when I used to adventure, bought em by the case. Just don't let em freeze. They get a touch messy.

Dried fruit,  if properly stored is another excellent option.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Having had all of my family tested at a Proactive medical clinic I found out I have 2 celiacs and most where prediabetics!
Now most of my food preps have become barter goods and I am starting over.
Canned cheese and butter. peanuts, and beef jerky at the moment and still looking for other gluten free low carb options.
A pain in the ass but it beats watching my kids die slowly because of a lack of meds and medical care in long term SHTF.
The good news is that every one has more energy and lost weight since we went low carb
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The original Necco wafers - indefinite shelf life if kept dry - I know amazon sells them because I keep a few boxes around
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I was also researching other energy bars and gel shots and they all seem to last up to 1 year.  I will look into these.  The other suggestions are all good ideas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The millennium are rated for 5yrs, and are not temperature sensitive.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Have a vac-sealed pack in the vehicles with a protein bar, energy bar, peanuts, cheerios (for the 1yr old), gatorade powder, and some other odds and ends.  Also have the maydays in there for longer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have heard Quest bars hold up well, I have ate them and they are decent tasting, but haven't personally stored them more than a couple months.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Parched corn.

Seriously, give it a try. I figured it'd be bland but it's pretty good not to mention light.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have heard Quest bars hold up well, I have ate them and they are decent tasting, but haven't personally stored them more than a couple months.
View Quote

They go downhill just a few months after expiration.  Don't taste bad but become very tough/chewy. I just removed them from my bag.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
This

John
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This

John
View Quote

53 carbs .... why doesn't someone make something that's low carb
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I suggest Millennium Food Bars too as others have.  They have a long shelf life and will hold up well to temperature changes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The original Necco wafers - indefinite shelf life if kept dry - I know amazon sells them because I keep a few boxes around
View Quote

Nilla wafers?

Good news.

Txl
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

John

Not sure many will be worried about "carbs" in a survival situation.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

John

Once you have gotten used to a low carb diet carbs make you sick and I don't want my family getting ill right of the bat. Also my Dr told me that just
6 more months of high carb and I would probably be diabetic so not planning ahead could radically reduce quality of life.
According to the AMA 40% of us are prediabetic so beans and rice and dried fruit etc. is not a great chose for us.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Sardines.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nilla wafers?

Good news.

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nilla wafers?

Good news.

Txl

I believe he means Necco Wafers,
mostly sugar, so they last a long time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Once you have gotten used to a low carb diet carbs make you sick and I don't want my family getting ill right of the bat. Also my Dr told me that just
6 more months of high carb and I would probably be diabetic so not planning ahead could radically reduce quality of life.
According to the AMA 40% of us are prediabetic so beans and rice and dried fruit etc. is not a great chose for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

John

Low carb survival bar is not likely to be much of a hit.  Supposedly more water is required for high protein diets, not a situation you want on a lifeboat.  As we all know, high fat equals shorter shelf life. That makes carbs the best option for storage friendly foods.

I store a huge jar of JIF peanut butter in my GHB and vehicle and rotate every six months.  Combined with the storage friendly millennium bars (that don't require rotation) and I have a fairly well balanced macro nutrient profile  that requires no preparation.  That one 40 ounce jar of JIF has over two days worth of calories. That( or your favorite nut butter) might be a good choice for low carbers.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Low carb survival bar is not likely to be much of a hit.  Supposedly more water is required for high protein diets, not a situation you want on a lifeboat.  As we all know, high fat equals shorter shelf life. That makes carbs the best option for storage friendly foods.

I store a huge jar of JIF peanut butter in my GHB and vehicle and rotate every six months.  Combined with the storage friendly millennium bars (that don't require rotation) and I have a fairly well balanced macro nutrient profile  that requires no preparation.  That one 40 ounce jar of JIF has over two days worth of calories. That( or your favorite nut butter) might be a good choice for low carbers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

John

Peanut butter is a good idea. Right now we have low carb trail mix and beef jerky that we rotate regularly. And as for water consumption I think it's actually decreased. It goes up in the short term during conversion carbs to fats.
A lot of runners have converted to low carb because during marathons they don't need as much water and they don't need snacks to keep going. What's your body's converted to a ketogenic diet it automatically starts burning body fat when it needs energy as opposed to waiting for more carbs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have my BOB set up with MRE entrees and a few of the heaters for rations.  I was thinking of having snacks for "on the go" packed in there as well.  I was looking to stock pile on some edible snacks with a long shelf life.  Maybe like 3+ years?  What is out there?  This does not include the "best by" dates.  I'm talking about just enough before it makes you sick.
View Quote

What's wrong with MRE snacks?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my main supply of extras as well. I want to try some of the Millennium bars though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.  Most of the snacks I don't like.  I've tried them all and I'll stick with the entrees.  Luckily we can purchase them individually and setup meals just the way I like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top