Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a big, exciting, fascinating world and you're missing it.

Get passports, go see some shit.

+1

Very much so.
It can't be that some of you haven't even seen an ocean in your life. travel, see thing, fking live life people!!
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Everyone should have a valid passport, at all times. It's even a good idea to have more than one. There are all sorts of legal ways to get a second passport. You can even get a diplomatic passport from certain countries, and this has definite advantages in crossing international borders. Documents like this cost, however. Not something you want to do if you don't have two nickels to rub together.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you don't get a passport, you won't be able to crash the party for Oh Bummer in Havana in 2015!

Seriously though, there are several places close but outside the US that you might have an opportunity to travel to cheaply on the spur of the moment...  Bermuda, Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, and soon, maybe even Cuba!

In addition, as mentioned above, they are good proof of citizenship.  Useful to obtain a CWL, renew you state DL (in FL), etc.  Passports are good for 10 years so you're talking like $33 per year - not terrible in the long view of things...

The main use of passport cards is to get you back into the US when returning from Canada or Mexico by land (not by sea or by air - IIRC sea/air entry requires a "regular" passport).  They also can be used as proof of citizenship like passport books.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you don't get a passport, you won't be able to crash the party for Oh Bummer in Havana in 2015!

Seriously though, there are several places close but outside the US that you might have an opportunity to travel to cheaply on the spur of the moment...  Bermuda, Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, and soon, maybe even Cuba!

In addition, as mentioned above, they are good proof of citizenship.  Useful to obtain a CWL, renew you state DL (in FL), etc.  Passports are good for 10 years so you're talking like $33 per year - not terrible in the long view of things...

Quoted:
Yes, get passports.   Pass on the passport cards.  They are only good for cruises.
The main use of passport cards is to get you back into the US when returning from Canada or Mexico by land (not by sea or by air - IIRC sea/air entry requires a "regular" passport).  They also can be used as proof of citizenship like passport books.

Negative ghostrider.  I check tons of them off cruise boats all the time.   Nexus and other programs are for land border crossings.

Here is the big secret:  A US Citizen cannot be kept from reentering the country.  With or without a passport.   However if you do not have a passport (book), the airlines will not board you (or should not, they can and will be fined if so) and you WILL be detained by CBP until adequate proof of citizenship is provided.  

Passport cards are a waste of money when you really think about it.   They are good for closed loop cruises (start and return to usa) and limited land border crossings.   NOT FOR AIR TRAVEL.  They are not that much cheaper than the book, and about the only advantage is they fit in your wallet.  

BUY THE PASSPORT BOOK.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I plan on getting mine very soon ( got the aps filled out and the money in an envelope ) just waiting for the wife and I to work it into our one " mutual-weekday-off-together " schedule.

I was told by someone that the wallet card was good to have so that when traveling you could keep the book in the hotel safe and carry the card only in case you were robbed or pick pocketed while out and around.  Is this reason viable or just their opinion?

Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I would always get the book to start with and while I don't know current prices the card was not that much as I recall when I looked into it a year or three ago.

I see the card as a photo id from the federal government.  I don't expect it to replace the book, I expect it to be easier to have with me than the book.

Or as just mentioned the book can be kept safe.

I don't have any plans for traveling so I don't know the current rules and all that.  I don't have any interest on a cruise either after reading about some of the cruise ships and their problems over the past few years.

I just figure it is something to have on hand and if I need it I have it.

The little card is actually going to probably see more use if I keep it in my wallet and the passport book will be in the safe.  

For some job interviews or other stuff where the book is accepted on one list as id then yeah the passport would get used.

I think someone mentioned it tends to be on the list that the birth certificate is on and my birth certificate is showing its age.  And yeah I have a note to look into getting another one with the raised seal on it to replace what I have.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Very much so.
It can't be that some of you haven't even seen an ocean in your life. travel, see thing, fking live life people!!
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Very much so.
FerFAL

Not sure its a requirement to leave this, the best of countries, in order to "fking live life people"
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not sure its a requirement to leave this, the best of countries, in order to "fking live life people"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Very much so.
FerFAL

Though it is a requirement to have any leg to stand on to when you state things like "this, the best of countries."

Reacting like someone asked to shove a fist up your ass to the very thought of international travel is a bit odd, but seems a trendy thing for some.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can get a second passport with the right reasons, such as travel to Israel and Islamic countries. Nice to have a backup in case some power hungry gate keeper wants to confiscate your passport. Don't travel to a Muslim country with an Israeli entrance and exit stamp on your passport. They are not amused.
View Quote

Are the second ones still only good for one year?
A co-worker that was working off shore Nigeria mentioned that the State Department gave him a bunch of crap about why he needed it. (Overseas work for oil and gas.)
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A co-worker that was working off shore Nigeria mentioned that the State Department gave him a bunch of crap about why he needed it. (Overseas work for oil and gas.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get a second passport with the right reasons, such as travel to Israel and Islamic countries. Nice to have a backup in case some power hungry gate keeper wants to confiscate your passport. Don't travel to a Muslim country with an Israeli entrance and exit stamp on your passport. They are not amused.

I've had a request rejected before, and another time approved with an identical justification. it can be a huge problem with countries that force you to submit your passport to them to get a visa. You become "stuck" wherever you are until you get it back, paranoid about your passport getting lost (the US also does this to people all the time).

Apparently the actual law (both international and domestic) is muddy as all hell.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one done in a day but it was a replacement not a new one. Cost was $200 including picture.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Though it is a requirement to have any leg to stand on to when you state things like "this, the best of countries."

Reacting like someone asked to shove a fist up your ass to the very thought of international travel is a bit odd, but seems a trendy thing for some.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Very much so.
FerFAL

What is your problem?   whats up with this fist up your ass comment?  and what assumptions are you making with the "any leg to stand on" comment?

are you a FerFAL apologist?   lol       Peace.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've had a request rejected before, and another time approved with an identical justification. it can be a huge problem with countries that force you to submit your passport to them to get a visa. You become "stuck" wherever you are until you get it back, paranoid about your passport getting lost (the US also does this to people all the time).

Apparently the actual law (both international and domestic) is muddy as all hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I just applied for my second one. I'm curious to see what is going to happen. Good chance I'll get to work in one of the places that "holds" your passport until you leave. Good times. (ETA- Not verified.)
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, I just applied for my second one. I'm curious to see what is going to happen. Good chance I'll get to work in one of the places that "holds" your passport until you leave. Good times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I just applied for my second one. I'm curious to see what is going to happen. Good chance I'll get to work in one of the places that "holds" your passport until you leave. Good times.

No country you enter should hold your passport - I'm pretty sure that's illegal, but again - international law is often worth it's weight in paper.  Technically, that passport is US government property.  Heck I think holding passports even violates the human trafficking treaties!  Don't quote me on that, not my field.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No country you enter should hold your passport - I'm pretty sure that's illegal, but again - international law is often worth it's weight in paper.  Technically, that passport is US government property.  Heck I think holding passports even violates the human trafficking treaties!  Don't quote me on that, not my field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't make sense does it?
Some of my coworkers that were working offshore Nigeria last year told a story along these lines.
So, I have no first hand knowledge. So....disregard what I said as I cannot validate for sure.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I travel a lot, both domestic and international.  Get it even if you never plan to leave the U.S.  There are many pros for having one.  Keep in mind we have some reciprocity with other countries, if for some crazy reason a riot breaks out where you happen to be (another state on vacation perhaps) and you are close to a Japanese embassy, you can get in quickly for some safety.  Of course that entails you carrying your passport with you.  
Get the "book" which has additional pages, it costs the same.  I would not waste the money on the card, it's more convenient but hardly anyone accepts that as a valid form of ID.  In the U.S. a valid drivers license does more good.  From an international standpoint, a passport is your primary form of ID.
View Quote

This.

I travel for work internationally, you can fill up a regular passport quicker that you think.  Some countries will only let you in if you have a certain number of I stamped pages. I don't remember the number of pages as I looked and was good at the time.

The card is a waste.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I could only have three items for survival: Cash, passport, gun. Pretty much in that order.
FerFAL
View Quote

I agree with this. If you follow the amazing Ragnar GHB thread, it pretty well boils down to the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Been all around the world when I was younger on vacations. I have zero desire to travel to any other country given the current climate of the world.  I have more than enough IDs to keep big brother happy for now, when the time comes that I NEED to get a passport I will, until then I will "live like people" in my own country.

I simply do not understand the desire people have to put people down if they don't like travel. To me its a huge hassle these days dealing with passports, flying, airports.. yeah no thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Been all around the world when I was younger on vacations. I have zero desire to travel to any other country given the current climate of the world.  I have more than enough IDs to keep big brother happy for now, when the time comes that I NEED to get a passport I will, until then I will "live like people" in my own country.

I simply do not understand the desire people have to put people down if they don't like travel. To me its a huge hassle these days dealing with passports, flying, airports.. yeah no thanks.
View Quote

Because the Colosseum trumps the worlds biggest ball of yarn.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I am not going to argue the virtues of travel. If you guys have seen my post then you know I am for it.

But a passport is a tool that adds options. It is good for a really long time and it is easy to get. What is the downfall?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Get one, store it in a safe place, I you lose your wallet or there is a house fire or you are displaced a passport is recognized everywhere as good ID and proof of citizenship...
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Passport cards are a waste of money when you really think about it.   They are good for closed loop cruises (start and return to usa) and limited land border crossings.   NOT FOR AIR TRAVEL.  They are not that much cheaper than the book, and about the only advantage is they fit in your wallet.  

BUY THE PASSPORT BOOK.
View Quote

The card was barely any more money when I applied for my passport the last time, so I added it on.  I wouldn't get the card as a stand-alone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#23]
When it comes to living abroad, I'm one of the luckiest guys in the SF. I was born in England and lived in Canada as a kid long enough to qualify for a green card.

Being born in England makes me a dual national and as a British Subject, I can live in almost 180 countries without having to have a visa because of all of the former colonies and protectorates they have had. I could work in Europe without any issue as well.

I really need to follow up on this and get it done...
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
One of our customers at work now requires a passport or birth certificate to get in their building if you have not been issued an ID card. New policy as of a few months ago because so many states started giving drivers licenses to illegals. Apparently fed gov security regulations require prove of citizenship. So mine now lives in desk at work in case I need to go to a meeting  there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One of our customers at work now requires a passport or birth certificate to get in their building if you have not been issued an ID card. New policy as of a few months ago because so many states started giving drivers licenses to illegals. Apparently fed gov security regulations require prove of citizenship. So mine now lives in desk at work in case I need to go to a meeting  there.
View Quote

Real ID law should cover that - DL's for non-citizens have to be clearly marked as such. I know the feds rejected California's last effort for not being plainly enough labeled.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The card was barely any more money when I applied for my passport the last time, so I added it on.  I wouldn't get the card as a stand-alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUY THE PASSPORT BOOK.

Yes, that is good, but really unnecessary. The book supersedes the card.  Just the card is easier to carry.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Like the guy from England on the previous page

I have dual citizenship also,  even though I was born in the US by US born parents, my grandparents were born in Europe, I hold a EU passport if the shtf here, I can leave and travel and reside in Europe till its over

so if you have foreign born grandparents or parents  get that passport to
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#28]
How can you be an Ugly American without a passport?

With a passport you can go to Europe for the joy of lecturing the chattering mob of unwashed savages about the evident flaws in their societies, modes of dress, shitty food, you name it.  The whole continent is full of slack jawed imbeciles that could greatly use some good old fashioned American Know How.

Yelling at random people working retail jobs and torturing waitstaff is a poor substitute.  You got to get to Europe and let fly.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top