Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The only picture I have of mine. It's just a Walmart special, but I enjoy it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Batteries don't do so well when the ambient temp is -10 degrees and they were sitting in the car or garage for a couple of days.

At 30 degrees, the performance sucks ass, and they die fast.  Trying to work with a flashlight where you gotta stop and shove it down your pants to warm it up enough to get light every five minutes sucks.

I have had batteries leak and die an entire pack at a time before.

I keep some candles, a bunch of tea light candles, LED lights of various types with batteries, glow sticks, and a few "single use" parrafin lamps.  I have an oil lamp but need to get fuel for it.

One white gas lamp that I never bothered to restore all the way. No clue if it works or not.

Battery powered light is one of many tools.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only picture I have of mine. It's just a Walmart special, but I enjoy it.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/KingRat_photos/Showpreps001.jpg  
View Quote

Powers out?  No big deal, strike a match, light the lamp and pour a Manhatten and get lit yourself!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You only have a half dozen flashlights?  

Man, do you need to catch up my friend.

I often think I'm off the deep end of flashlight crazy.

Latest is that $11 Ozark Trails 150 lumen.  Dang, its bright, built well (metal housing and tail button) and a hell of a lot of light.
View Quote

I could stand a few more pocket sized LED types.  Well I have a few more but I don't keep them full or maintain them.  They're too old and outmoded.

I have some disused ones, my old army angle head, an old yellow Conrail flashlight that looks like it came from the same maker, the old lantern that took 6 volt batteries.  A couple old school paramedic AA penlights.  In comparison to today's flashlight quality I find those old 20th century flashlights to be rubbish.

I have two 3 cell sized rechargeable maglight with the old incandescent bulbs, a scorpion, a surefire 6p with a new potted lamp, a couple old garrity rubber incandescents,  A couple headlamps.    A browning (pelican) AA light.

OK, I am a little thin here.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You only have a half dozen flashlights?  
Man, do you need to catch up my friend.
I often think I'm off the deep end of flashlight crazy.

You aren't the only one ;)

Lets start this meeting of Flashlights Anonymous.

Hello, my name is Mongocaver and I am a flashlight-aholic.  If I see a reasonably priced flashlight, I just have to buy it. Or three.  My dogs (don't have kids) have to go without clothes because of my addiction.  I am running out of room to store all the compact, lantern, motion activated and flood LED lights I have...

Because of this addiction I also seem to never have enough Eneloops.  I act paranoid when my wife asks for a battery, as I am afraid she is going to waste its precious charge...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I only have two oil/kerosene lamps on hand and about a gallon of liquid paraffin fuel.  Both are Walmart Chicom made and fortunately do not leak.  I keep a couple of packets of extra wicks for them.  But they are backed up by numerous candles, led flashlights, 12 volt automotive task lights with deep cycle batteries charged via solar panels, Coleman lantern (several gallons of white gas & parts), and hand crank/solar flash lights.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
1/2" wick Feuerhand compared to Coleman High Tech 3AA LED (Eneloop powered)... nice to have options

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been running #2 ULSD in my 7/8" wick lantern for a couple of weeks now.  Burns fine, very little diesel smell.

My 1/2" wick WalMart special lantern doesn't like diesel, and goes out after 4 hours.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got one of these.  I figure it kills two birds with one stone.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top