Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/2/2014 12:13:15 AM EDT
2014 Survival Forum Gift Exchange

It’s my goal as the quasi-ringmaster of this year’s survival forum gift exchange to do everything within my very limited power to ensure that this runs smoothly. We have been blessed with a community of generally like minded, generally upstanding, and generally honorable members. I hope that the results of this year’s gift exchange will confirm that. Cag40Navy will be my partner in crime and co-director.

The rules are below. Read them. Learn them. Know them. Then do it again.

Rule one- this is a gift exchange. It’s not a trade, it doesn’t follow the rules of the equipment exchange, and you basically have no say in what comes your way from your partner. Nor do they have any say in what they get from you. I have personally been very fortunate in getting hooked up with extremely generous and thoughtful people through the years, and I have tried to operate under the same guidelines with the gifts I’ve sent. Others have not been as lucky. It is my opinion that the joy should be in giving. You may disagree.

Rule two- previous years have set a suggested precedent for a dollar amount of +/- $50.00 . . . (not including shipping) . . . But understand that some people might honestly not be able to afford that amount. Others spend substantially more on their partner. Both are OK, but if you fall into the category where spending $50.00 puts an unbearable strain on your finances or prevents you from eating, it’s best to bow out. Be smart. Talk to your exchange partner. Come up with a mutually acceptable amount, and then have fun with it.

Rule three- this is not a dirty Santa type of exchange. If your only purpose in joining is to get rid of 47 pieces of dented and corroded .25 ACP brass, find somewhere else to do it. Gift exchanging will not be enforced by the moderators, staff, or me. I’ll do my best to politely and honorably assist in any SNAFU’s, but at the end of the day, it will come down to each participant’s personal integrity.

Rule four- this thread will follow all of this site’s COC rules. Name calling, trash talking or other violation will not be tolerated. If there’s a problem, contact either me, or Cag40Navy via e-mail or IM, and we’ll do our best to get it sorted out.

Rule five- if you have previously signed up for the gift exchange, and then not held up your end of the exchange, you will not be permitted to participate this year. Yes, we know who you are. Enough said.

Rule six- well, not really rules, but some guidelines.

**It is highly advisable that everybody participating in this year’s gift exchange sends out their packages by some means, UPS or USPS, where a tracking number is involved. Read the forums through the years—you’ll see that a lot of grief could have been averted with a tracking number.

**It is entirely up to you and your partner as to when you open your gifts. I personally prefer to wait until Christmas Eve, but that’s a call that you’ll have to make on your own.

** Posting pictures of gifts that you receive is highly encouraged, as well as being entertaining for others who view this thread. Share the joy, people. If for some reason you can’t seem to figure out how to post a picture, e-mail it to me and I’ll post it for you.

Rule seven- as a little incentive to promote ingenuity and camaraderie, as well as the general Christmas spirit, I am going to personally provide two (2) bricks of 22 long rifle ammunition, shipped at no charge to your door (lower 48 only) for the two people (one brick per person) who send the most unique or creative survival forum related gift to their partner. Pictures must be posted by the receiving member in order to qualify. To simplify—if you send a really cool or unique gift, and your partner posts a picture of it in this thread, you might get a brick of 22 on your doorstep. My very intelligent dag will determine the winner.

Dates:
Sign up closes at midnight on Sunday, November 30 EST. You must post an “I’m in” reply in this thread to be included.

Selections will be posted on Monday, December 1. Once partners are assigned, they will not be changed. If we end up with an odd number of participants, I’ll see if anybody wants to double up.

Gifts should be mailed no later than Friday, December 19.

Be safe, be smart, wear protection, have fun, and make 2014’s survival forum gift exchange the best ever.

Leafinthewind.

The list so far...

1   Cag40Navy
2   leafinthewind
3   G-REM
4   monkeypup
5   nickds
6   Curry
7   goodasgone81
8   MrBear80229
9   HiramRanger
10  Dayphotog
11  phasesouth
12  JFarley
13  HUMONGO
14  NorthernHillbilly
15  gettingstarted
16  WranglerJK
17  fatguy7814
18  mustangracer
19  tabraha
20  p2tharizo
21  rscott2214
22  riggins
23  MongoCaver
24  suprmatch
25  whiskerz
26  rufusleaking
27  Scorch05
28  thatwasthenthisisnow
29  POG926
30  Mazawakhan
31  robie1
32  thisisdudewhoru
33  97tjgunner
34  Wolverine_Tradition
35  ttlph0t0graphy
36  PokeChoke
37  lethalppl
38  wva1984
39  die-tryin
40  Bigfeet
41  MDRoberts

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
So in.
Had a great partner last year, hope to repeat.
Thank you guys for stepping up to run it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in.

Remember OP, you and the other that volunteered to run this get a membership bump from me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
In.

Edit: to be a rule follower, "I'm in"
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read through but I may be missing it...... do you have to have a membership to participate? In that case.....

"I'm in"
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Never done the survival forum exchange, I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've read through but I may be missing it...... do you have to have a membership to participate?
View Quote

This is open to all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
well here is to hoping third time is the charm

I'm in
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm In, hope I don't get screwed!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Im in, I have  to get rid of 47 pieces of dented and corroded .32 ACP brass

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I  am  in !
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#15]
In again for the 3rd or 4th time. Love this!

ETA: Realized I didn't specifically say "I'm in." So, I'm In!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm in.

This will be my first, hopefully I won't disappoint.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a great time last year.  I'm in for this one too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in. Thanks for stepping up to run it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in. This is my first time being aware of this exchange, but I'd love to be a part of it. I just hope I can find something useful and unique to send whoever I end up getting.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in....and on the first page too!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
"I'm in"

I believe this is year 5 for me. I have been lucky and all of my partners in the past have been great!

Merry Christmas to all.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm in

Please be gentle, this is my first time.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have enjoyed every one of these I am in.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#25]
In again please
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Count me in
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm in!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in. Made out like a champ last year.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm in! Sounds like fun!
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:52:42 AM EDT
[#30]
In again! Oops. I mean; I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#31]
List has been updated...31 participants so far...15 days left to sign up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm In
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#34]
What about a $100 category?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This would be up to you and your partner to decide.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tend to go above the minimum amount.
I do not expect anyone else to go above unless they want to or are comfortable doing so.
I have not intimated at providing more and quite frankly, I enjoy surprising people.
My family has come a long way in the last few years and when I have the opportunity to share my blessings I do so.
Heck, a guy who didn't even get in the exchange last year got some stuff from me. We had our own little exchange on the side.

TLDR version: doing more feels good and I like doing it. YMMV and thanks for participating.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I do not expect anyone else to go above unless they want to or are comfortable doing so.
I have not intimated at providing more and quite frankly, I enjoy surprising people.
My family has come a long way in the last few years and when I have the opportunity to share my blessings I do so.
Heck, a guy who didn't even get in the exchange last year got some stuff from me. We had our own little exchange on the side.

TLDR version: doing more feels good and I like doing it. YMMV and thanks for participating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I go over as well, but don't expect a partner to.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can personally vouch for nickds
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm a little over 50 bucks as is. But i enjoy giving and dont expect anything extra either. Waiting on one last thing and my gift box will be complete!....well maybe lol
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I'M IN !!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Just out of curiosity would you rather have a bunch of little inexpensive things or a couple more expensive nice things? I'm not implying that inexpensive is not nice or a good gift.  I tend to give only 2-3 things.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity would you rather have a bunch of little inexpensive things or a couple more expensive nice things? I'm not implying that inexpensive is not nice or a good gift.  I tend to give only 2-3 things.

View Quote

Personally, I would like to be surprised.

My first year I received 1 item. An incredibly nice Maxpedition backpack! The second year was an assortment, as was the third year (if I'm remembering correctly.)

To date, everything I've sent has been an assortment of smaller and useful items. I'm hoping to be able to do the same this year, if my partner is cool with it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I would rather have things people actually put some thought into, not something just to get rid of. I like the challenge of most interesting gift and am stepping up to that challenge. Not because I want that rare box of .22 but because I'm a grown ass man and want to give something I wouldn't mind getting in return. Yeah the old bottle of Old Spice and ties from the kids comes in a close second.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Personally, I would like to be surprised.

My first year I received 1 item. An incredibly nice Maxpedition backpack! The second year was an assortment, as was the third year (if I'm remembering correctly.)

To date, everything I've sent has been an assortment of smaller and useful items. I'm hoping to be able to do the same this year, if my partner is cool with it.
View Quote

I'm with you. And quite honestly I don't know that I need a damn thing. I enjoy the surprise, and I have not been let down yet! I will always ask if there is something that my gift partner needs. If there is, I try my best to fill the request.

Merry Christmas ladies and gents.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I tend to go over by quite a bit as well. As I have said for several years, my Arfcom gift is usually the only fun stuff I receive. It is always the last present I open on Christmad morning and my kids love watching me open it. 2 years ago rigging included some things for my young boys and they loved it. In go fact they still use them. I send my Arfcom gifts with the same mindset, so I usually try to do several gifts in the box.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Im in!!

Been a member for a couple years now. Lots of reading / learning and not much posting. Meant to do this last year and some family issues got in the way.

But this is a new year and am looking forward to taking part in the festivities!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm in
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I am in
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I have done this for 4 years now . I had a suggestion my first year and took it to heart . I called and talked to my gift partner and it gave me a much better insight into the person and allowed me to make my gift more personal . I have enjoyed every year . I try to send something useful as well as maybe fun. 2 years in a row the wives have hijacked part of the gift I sent .
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have done this for 4 years now . I had a suggestion my first year and took it to heart . I called and talked to my gift partner and it gave me a much better insight into the person and allowed me to make my gift more personal . I have enjoyed every year . I try to send something useful as well as maybe fun. 2 years in a row the wives have hijacked part of the gift I sent .
View Quote

^ Agree 100%. Lots of good conversations with folks I have been matched up with in the exchange.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top