Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 1:32:07 AM EDT
When I was a kid this place near us used to have super cheap summer sausages around Christmas time for a few bucks.  We'd buy a bunch of them to eat throughout the year.  Now I notice that flour, sugar, and butter tends to be cheaper around the holidays.  

How about you?  What do you stock up on around the holidays?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Manor Fruit Cake
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:08:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Little debbie Christmas tree cakes..  50 boxes...  

Girl scout cookies.. Yeah, still got 4 boxes..  3 cases every year..
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Fruit cake and Gin
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Canned vegetables usually go on sale around that time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#5]
In general all the normal holiday foods - meats- whole Turkey and Breasts, Hams, Rib Roasts and desserts pies (pumpkin tends to make my freezer, since it's not readily available during the rest of the year)

But slightly more survival related always have the canned holiday foods on sale - like many canned vegetables and broths.  Big jugs of peanut oil - for deep fried turkeys -  sometimes goes on sale after the holidays (not as much as they used to).  Boxed potato flakes - useful all year - for mash, soup thickener, use as a fried food coating (test for frying... some disintegrate...they're dried mashed potato which is "flaked", versus flakes of actual potato).

Not a food, but the turkey cooking bags and big heavy duty foil pans are a great buy after the holidays and i used them during the year.

Cheap plastic/Styrofoam holiday plates in solid white, green, red of different sizes make excellent targets.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#6]
We stock up on canned pumpkin during any sales (before, during, after the holidays).
It's something we cannot can ourselves.

My wife always picks up bags of cranberries, and keeps them in the freezer,
She also cans her own cranberry sauces this time of year.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Frozen turkey, canned pumpkin and evap milk.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Frozen turkeys. I'm not a huge candle guy, but those are are often on sale right after the holidays as well.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fruit cake and Gin
View Quote

Dude, that's gross times two.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Well, the only thing I "stock up" on is Bailey's Irish Cream and a specialty Colombian dark roast coffee I get from a small custom coffee roaster in Baywood Park, Calif (yes, I become a "Coffee Snob" in the winter).

I do however replenish my supply of Scotch and Seagram's 7 whiskey (cold weather is the only time I enjoy the hard stuff; it's become more of a winter tradition for me).
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
lutefisk
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:59:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Originalld By Talyn:

lutefisk
View Quote
Even from MN,

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Little debbie Christmas tree cakes..  50 boxes...  

Girl scout cookies.. Yeah, still got 4 boxes..  3 cases every year..
View Quote

The thought of this gives me a stomach ache. I'm terrible at rationing sweets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#13]
The day after Halloween we got to a church by us and the give away all the leftover pumpkins for free with a donation to the church.  We get 2 boxes of the smaller ones and the wife spends a day getting all the "meat" out of them.  Then freezes the puree and makes pumpkin pie, bread, and pancakes for the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Canned veggies and a lot of canned pumpkin. We make pumpkin ravioli, pancakes, bread, muffins, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Hickory Farms Beef Summer Sausages.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I still got 2 turkeys from LAST years Thanksgiving sales in a freezer now. I bought a bunch around that time and paid around 60 cents per lb after all discounts and sale prices stuff was said and done.

The 'sale' turkey last year was literally cheaper than dog kibble for me. (40 cents per lb cheaper)

If they go on a good sale this year as well - I will stock up again for sure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Even from MN,  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originalld By Talyn:
lutefisk
Even from MN,  

Had some once at the 1st Lutheran Xmas dinner when I lived in Duluth awhile back. Ate it first while it was warm. My friends ate the other stuff once then tried to eat the lutefisk last when it was cold. The looks on their faces were classic. The old folks chowed down on it.

I liked, and still do, the lingonberry jelly on lefsa.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Jar or canned Gravy!!!  Chicken, Beef. Pork and of course TURKEY!!!

PITA45

PS Your right! This in no way is as good as Mom made!!!
But it does have it's place!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#19]
For Thanksgiving and Christmas the canned beef and chicken broth normally go on sale for half of their normal price or less.  Since I haven't been working I do most of the cooking and make a lot of hearty soups in the winter.  Canned broth can do a lot for the flavor and the quantify of soup.  I buy a bunch of it and usually run out when it starts warming up outside and we don't want soups anymore.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Sugar is usually cheap.  I'll buy 5 or so bags.  It lasts a long time.  To rotate we feed the hummingbirds.  Plus, you can make brown sugar with molasses.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]
You can find great deals on Turkey the day after Thanksgiving, buy a couple of those and toss them in the chest freezer you have, or will be buying as the result of the sale.

Also consider cutting the small turkeys in half and the larger one in quarters. This makes you much more inclined to actually cook the turkey for a everyday meal, vs letting it just sit in the freezer taking up room. You can easily cut through a frozen bird with a Sazwall  (w/ new long blade). Then vacuum seal the halves or quarters with butchers paper and toss back in the freezer.

Here is a video I found to illustrate :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdqR9ZV-8_4
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Target actually usually has canned veggies that I like for around .50 a can.  For brand name, that is about the best price I find all year long, so I usually pick up a years worth at a time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Had some once at the 1st Lutheran Xmas dinner when I lived in Duluth awhile back. Ate it first while it was warm. My friends ate the other stuff once then tried to eat the lutefisk last when it was cold. The looks on their faces were classic. The old folks chowed down on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originalld By Talyn:
lutefisk
Even from MN,  

My grandfather used to make fresh lefsa for us.  One of my favorite Christmas memories with a man who used to hide ammo from Grandma by the pallet .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For Thanksgiving and Christmas the canned beef and chicken broth normally go on sale for half of their normal price or less.  Since I haven't been working I do most of the cooking and make a lot of hearty soups in the winter.  Canned broth can do a lot for the flavor and the quantify of soup.  I buy a bunch of it and usually run out when it starts warming up outside and we don't want soups anymore.
View Quote

I came in to post this same thing.  Best price of the year on chicken and beef stock--usually at least 50% off.  We buy it by the case.  We make lots of soup during the dark months.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Good ideas in here.  I try and stock up on these items:

Butter
Canned vegetables
Broth
Cream Cheese
Canned Ham
Hard Liquor
Frozen Turkey
Pork Shoulder Roast

I don't bake sweets, but that stuff is also on sale this time of year.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My grandfather used to make fresh lefsa for us.  One of my favorite Christmas memories with a man who used to hide ammo from Grandma by the pallet .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originalld By Talyn:

lutefisk
Even from MN,  

My wife makes fresh lefsa.. mmmmmmm

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I normally get 2-3 frozen birds.  1 for cooking and the others for canning.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Pumpkin pie spice.

It's like 22lr bulk packs, once the holidays are near.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Candy.
No, it's not a staple, but it has its place, and a bag of red and green "Christmas" M&M's you picked up for next to nothing tastes just like the regular ones.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Candy.
No, it's not a staple, but it has its place, and a bag of red and green "Christmas" M&M's you picked up for next to nothing tastes just like the regular ones.
View Quote

I do this as well,
and as far as I can tell, tootsie-pops have a pretty good shelf-life.

The sugar, pretty much indefinite, but I sometimes wonder about the chocolate center.
anyway, never had one go bad yet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Spiral hams.

canned sweet potatoes.

Venison.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ugh on turkey..pumpkin, evap milk...cranberrys,....ammo..
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Those mint filled Hershy's kisses. They only put them out once a year so I buy a few bags and toss them in the freezer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#34]

walmart has Libbys canned veggies in 4pks for $2 of the same item,Delmonte was a little more I believe

I always grab a bunch this time of year

Green beans

Peas

Corn

canned gravy

cranberrie sauce

flour and sugar

broths

we also stock up on cake/pie/cookie mixes and anything we catch a sale on that looks promising
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I do this as well,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Candy.

I do this as well,

Dollar General has cans (well, cardboard cylinders these past few years) of hard Christmas candy for about $4.  They usually have quite a few left after Christmas and they are a good deal at 50-75% off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Dollar General has cans (well, cardboard cylinders these past few years) of hard Christmas candy for about $4.  They usually have quite a few left after Christmas and they are a good deal at 50-75% off.
View Quote

Ah, that reminds me...
Those big metal tins full of popcorn (2-3 gal.?) with the Christmas scenes on them also go on sale for a buck or two after the holiday.  The popcorn itself is pretty but the tins make pretty good vermin-proof LTS storage containers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top