Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 7:35:54 PM EDT
It's about time to get permission from our forum overlord.

Who is going to run it this year?

After two years of running it, I'm out this year. I'll probably participate though if someone else takes it on.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
had such bad luck last year but If not working two jobs and going to school I would try and run it this year. I may still participate though time permitting
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Still traveling for work.
I wish I had the time to commit 110 % to coordinate this.
I have participated every year for the last few years.
It has been EXTREMELY rewarding.

I would even pony up a membership bump and possibly something else to the person that steps up to organize this.

I look forward to this as a pay it forward opportunity every year and get to know some of the more persistent members around here.

I'll check back for updates!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be honest in saying that I was more than a little..."disappointed" last year. That said, I'll participate again but I most assuredly don't have the time to run it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Theses replies are interesting.  All true.

If people would just do what they sign on to do and live up to their end of the deal , I would run it again.

But people suck. Even some SF arfcomers. I will say that I have also been blown away by some peoples generosity over the last couple years.

Maybe it's just better to let this tradition die.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
How come this doesn't ring a bell for me??  can we get some details please?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I will say that I had an outstanding exchange partner...sorry you guys didn't have it the same!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well I will say that I had an outstanding exchange partner...sorry you guys didn't have it the same!
View Quote
ditto, but I know of 3-4 that did not get a gift from their exchange partner!

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
If anyone is interested in exchanging a grab bag (limit $20) of fun survival/ prep items, I'm down. I think it would be fun seeing what Comes and I've squirreled away tons of little items. PM if interested
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too...I've been extremely happy with all of my exchange pairings through the years.  I'd even assist in running it with another team member, if that's what it will take to get this moving again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
What EXACTLY does running it consist of??
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
How does this work?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What EXACTLY does running it consist of??
View Quote

I would think it consists of getting permission, opening up a post to all interested parties, pairing up the interested parties, and riding herd (via IMs) on making sure they get their gifts out in time for Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#13]
You get permission .
Start a thread for people to sign up. Put rules and dates in the thread.
When the last day to sign up passes randomly assign pairings.
People send gifts (in theory).
About 2-3 people will get stiffed.
Other members step up and anonymously cover the people that got stiffed.

Your job as the person running the exchange seems easy, until the date when everyone should have received their gifts. 90% of the work comes after that.

Also as the one running the exchange, it's very important to remember not to call anyone a shithead on the forum or you get to interact with a moderator.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is the thread from 2011. Link 2011 exchange

The last two went so well the mods nuked the threads. If you search "exchange" over the last couple years you will come up with a couple threads referencing the nuked threads.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Edited to say I had my window open a while in making this post so the above post covers looking at old threads.

Anyone thinking of running it needs to read the archived threads from past ones.

I participated a time or two and was happy with what I got and folks were happy with what they got.

But in reading the threads and seeing things drag out and watching some awesome folks step in to help out when some slacker just bailed on his commitment I realized that this can be a heck of a headache if you don't have some plans for dealing with issues.

I think it should be like the ee, you are a man or woman of your word or you wind up banned for backing out on the deal.

I personally can't believe how some of them dragged out over the years.  

Then again I always try to show up at a gathering if I say I will get there.  I was a bit surprised when TJ joked about it, I kind of felt it was the way everyone should do things.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think it should be like the ee, you are a man or woman of your word or you wind up banned for backing out on the deal.
View Quote

This was brought up last year and the mods won't let us operate it that way.

But it's a new year, so someone could ask again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Me too...I've been extremely happy with all of my exchange pairings through the years.  I'd even assist in running it with another team member, if that's what it will take to get this moving again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id be willing to tag team it with you if possible. Id be willing to help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I would be willing to participate ..
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first year I did it I partnered with Homeslice to run it.

It worked well that way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM inbound
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The first year I did it I partnered with Homeslice to run it.

It worked well that way.
View Quote

That's pretty generous Curry.  IIRC, I ended up in the hospital and you did all of the work.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I am in again as a participant .
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#23]
OK....Cag40Navy and I are going to team up to try and get this years gift exchange up and running.  Once we get permission, we'll start a new thread that you'll have to post in to be included.  Wish us luck!

Leafinthewind
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys !
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

And so did I!

The SF Christmas exchange is one of my favorite parts of the holidays.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it on?

I have not participated in the past, how do we sign up?

L
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is it on?

I have not participated in the past, how do we sign up?

L
View Quote

Wait for the guys running it to start a sign up thread with rules and dates.  The mods usually make it a sticky.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Okay, thanks.

it is not bad luck that this is post 999  !!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
If I had the time or patience to run it I would. I haven't had the money to participate the last couple years and have really been looking forward to getting in on this years exchange.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]
It's been a few years since I participated but I'd be in for this years version.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys!
My experience over the years has been extremely rewarding.
A good opportunity to get to know other members.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Any news ?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Leaf sent off to ask the mods for permission. (A few days ago. Once we gain permission, we will open a new thread!)
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#35]
See tacked thread. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top