Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 5:56:08 PM EDT
Been living here for 18years in the same place, got complacent and left my drivers door unlocked on the ole BOV, after all, who would fuck with an 84 Blazer that hasnt been washed in 'ever' ? , well apparently it was inviting enough for someone, they got in and rummaged around a bit, opened glove box and center console. The took my BOB that was behind the seat (so they got a gerber knife, mora knife, leather gloves, tarp, water purify stuff, and a few other things I had in there). Im guessing they only had so much time as they left the CB, GPS, Swiss army knife and all the sun glasses and shooting glasses along with my first aid kit (was way in the back) and a nice craftsman tool kit (behind pass. seat), so if the BOB had been all the way in the back, they may have not gotten it. oh well, lesson learned, I played the odds and finally lost. Time to move out of this fucking city.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Same story here.

Loaned my S&W snubbie from the old days to a relative.  Car was left unlocked and guess what happened.

I was/am pissed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, that is main reason ive never left guns in my truck, i dont drive it often and just incase someone broke in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Been living here for 18years in the same place, got complacent and left my drivers door unlocked on the ole BOV, after all, who would fuck with an 84 Blazer that hasnt been washed in 'ever' ? , well apparently it was inviting enough for someone, they got in and rummaged around a bit, opened glove box and center console. The took my BOB that was behind the seat (so they got a gerber knife, mora knife, leather gloves, tarp, water purify stuff, and a few other things I had in there). Im guessing they only had so much time as they left the CB, GPS, Swiss army knife and all the sun glasses and shooting glasses along with my first aid kit (was way in the back) and a nice craftsman tool kit (behind pass. seat), so if the BOB had been all the way in the back, they may have not gotten it. oh well, lesson learned, I played the odds and finally lost. Time to move out of this fucking city.
View Quote

That sucks.

Out of curiosity, where at in FL are you?  

I am just south of Jacksonville and we had that happen in our neighborhood about a year ago.

Luckily our vehicles were in the garage, nothing left outside for them to screw with.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Tampa/St Pete area...its a common problem around here, just didnt think id get hit..oh well..
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that but kids have been rummaging through cars forever looking for guns, money, drugs ...
View Quote

Failed war on drugs...  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
FOund that out the hard way about 6 years ago myself.

I live in the sticks, about 1/4 mile down a dead end road.

I had gotten home from work and had stopped at the store to get some stuff for dinner.  I loaded up the bags, went in and started making the feast.

I completely forgot about my wallet in the center console and locking the doors.

That night some rich punk kids got into the car, stole my wallet and went on a mini crime spree, hitting the corner store and into the buss garage at the high school, dropping my Credit cards along the way to make it look like I did it.

I found out the next morning when I went out to the car and found shit thrown all over the place.  

Called the cops who said that they were just going to send a car out to me to see if I had known about the theft.

Luckily the store that was robbed had a security camera and got a full face shot of the kids as they were dumb enough to make faces while being taped.

They were 2 local kids, sons of 2 of the town council members so they were well known.

Little bastards got 30 days in jail (They were over 18) and restitution for repairs and property replacement..
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We have the same issue up here in Hernando County.  The Sheriff reports that the vast majority of car break ins are unlocked cars, locked cars rarely get hit here.

The first week I lived here I left the wife's car door unlocked and her GPS walked off...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tampa/St Pete area...its a common problem around here, just didnt think id get hit..oh well..

We have the same issue up here in Hernando County.  The Sheriff reports that the vast majority of car break ins are unlocked cars, locked cars rarely get hit here.

The first week I lived here I left the wife's car door unlocked and her GPS walked off...

I used to live in a small village.  We had a low income housing place come to town (stupid town fathers thought it would be a good thing).  It was a chronic issue in town, pretty much anywhere near the LIH and the one store in town.  My land lord and his family used to leave his keys in all his vehicles so they could easily move them to get a vehicle out of the drive.  Often they were left over night.  They lost mostly just coins in the ash tray, sunglasses, CD's etc.  Fortunately no cars drove off.  

I grew up in a city and live in the sticks now.  I still lock the vehicles and house up when I go to bed.  I don't get visitors on my out of the estate, other than wildlife.  Last visitor was a real estate  guy pulling comps. He ignored my no trespassing signs, it's kind of amazing that no one seems to think that applies to them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Well i cleared everything out of my truck, lock the doors and have disco'd the batteries (I dont drive it but couple times a month).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Sorry to hear this OP. I cringe at the thought of losing all the gear I have in my vehicle.

As I always say....it's the hard lessons we learn the easiest because we never do them again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Its almost like random and murphy at the same time..  the inlaws have a house out in the sticks.. lock their doors of their vehicle every night and the one night they dont it gets pillaged.. almost like someone was testing it every night.  Conversely i left my wallet on the pass. Side seat of my jeep with no top or doors in an apt. Parking lot one night and there it was the next afternoon.  Pretty random.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#13]
We leave outside of city limits but we always lock cars and arm our home security system when not home. Currently we keep one older car outside. All other vehicles are in the garage.
I use a cheap Harbor Freight driveway alarm for the car we keep outside. I keep the detector head in the car and the receiver in the bedroom. This is cheap $15 security and it works very well up to 100 yards or so. I never get false activations.
Another thing to consider is a false blinking car alarm light. They sell on e-bay for $6. It's basically a blue LED flashing light simulating a car alarm being armed.
Link to HArbor Freight Driveway Alarm: http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html  Sorry, can't make it hot for some reason. You'll need to cut and paste into your browser.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

About two to three times a years, some youts will go and check all the cars on the block I live on.  I know only because they catch a few neighbors who didn't lock their cars up.

They got me once, about 30 years ago, but never since

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#15]
My vehicle is locked even if I am sitting right next to it.

Most of the time, it's locked while I am IN it too.

Did lock myself out once long ago, but now keep a copy of the car key in my other pocket on my "house" key chain. Keys that are almost never out unless I am getting in/out of the house or into work.

To top it off, I have a spare key hidden outside where I work. A mile walk from home.

My grandmother used to have a nice decorative plate that said "An open door will tempt a Saint".  The message being everyone has a moment of weakness and why let that fact hurt you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Its still an automated reaction for me. Even if I'm 200 miles in the middle of nowhere, I always lock my car doors. A couple times I got some weird look by someone that came along with me, as "why? theres no one around". Doesnt matter, you just always lock your doors and close your house doors as well.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I am sometimes guilty of this but have been trying to break it.

I rank it in the same category of not locking the safe every time I am done with it.

Or not locking a padlock and just dummy locking it.

Current job has mostly broken my habit of leaving stuff open, I lock my house door when I go through it.  Drives people up the wall, but oh well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its still an automated reaction for me. Even if I'm 200 miles in the middle of nowhere, I always lock my car doors. A couple times I got some weird look by someone that came along with me, as "why? theres no one around". Doesnt matter, you just always lock your doors and close your house doors as well.
FerFAL
View Quote

I'm like you in a lot of ways. I grew up in Soviet Russia and had a "privilege" to survive the collapse of the Soviet Union. I could probably write a book about it. Crime increased by 100 fold in the late 80s. I had to watch my car wheels from being stolen while waiting for a light to turn green at an intersection. Keeping my car outside at night was out of the question. I had a garage with thick metal doors and several sophisticated locks.
The apartment we lived in was on the top floor. We had to barricade the whole floor entrance with 1/4 " metal plates and a heavy metal door. Several unprepared neighbors were killed during home invasions back then. Police was worse than bandits. I often laugh when i hear people complain about crime in the US.  They have no idea how bad it can get. I hope people in this country never experience a similar situation although it seems like things are heading south in many areas.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#19]
DVR/Camera Package

If the cameras don't deter them, the DVR will record the evidence.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Same story here.

Loaned my S&W snubbie Makarov from the old days to a relative.  Car was left unlocked and guess what happened.

I was/am pissed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Die-Tryin

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.  My wife's car was broken into several years ago.  Took a small tool box and GBH bag.  The thieves were not teens but adults.  They were on a vehicle break in spree in my neighborhood and several others.  I make it a habit of not leaving any valuable in our vehicles.  Even the contents of the small tool box and GBH bag were cheap items.  So the lost was at a minimal.  This was a new neighborhood back then too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had gotten home from work and had stopped at the store to get some stuff for dinner.  I loaded up the bags, went in and started making the feast.

I completely forgot about my wallet in the center console and locking the doors.

That night some rich punk kids got into the car, stole my wallet and went on a mini crime spree, hitting the corner store and into the buss garage at the high school, dropping my Credit cards along the way to make it look like I did it.

I found out the next morning when I went out to the car and found shit thrown all over the place.  

Called the cops who said that they were just going to send a car out to me to see if I had known about the theft.

Luckily the store that was robbed had a security camera and got a full face shot of the kids as they were dumb enough to make faces while being taped.

They were 2 local kids, sons of 2 of the town council members so they were well known.

Little bastards got 30 days in jail (They were over 18) and restitution for repairs and property replacement..
View Quote

at least they got some time in the can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
DVR/Camera Package

View Quote

409.99 is a bit steep for the average Pleb.   but awesome set up.

sorry.  389.99 with coupon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here in GA, Entering Auto w/ intent to commit a crime is a Felony, as is each FTC theft they committed...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I have paid a "stupid tax" as well. I had a really nice AR stolen from an unmarked police car. Live and learn.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DVR/Camera Package

Averaged over 4 years of use, it amounts to roughly 8 bucks a month - just a fraction of what the average homeowner pays for a "dumb" monitored security system.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
It's been a big problem in my area lately. They come though neighborhoods late at night robbing change or whatever else they can get. I put a lights out trail camera near the driveway just in case.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Averaged over 4 years of use, it amounts to roughly 8 bucks a month - just a fraction of what the average homeowner pays for a "dumb" monitored security system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DVR/Camera Package

409.99 is a bit steep for the average Pleb. but awesome set up.

sorry. 389.99 with coupon.

Is that a decent setup?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is that a decent setup?
View Quote

Yep. I've been recommending it for several reasons:

1. It's 960H capable, which means that it has 960 horizontal lines of resolution - and thus can record with better resolution than conventional 720 horizontal line "D1" recorders. This is a feature that can mean the difference between able to identify a person or vehicle in an image, or not. Don't settle for a recorder that isn't 960H capable, even if you don't have any 960H cameras yet - It'll give you some future camera upgradility.

2. It includes 960H cameras with the Sony "Super HAD-II" chipset. They work better than earlier-generation stuff - Better resolution and color fidelity during the day, and a MUCH sharper, less grainey B&W image at night. IMO, Sony's current camera chips are superior to anything out there that sells for anywhere near the price.

A lot of DVR packages that include cameras aren't much more expensive than buying just the recorder by itself. However, the cameras typically included in these packages are crap - you end up buying better cameras anyway, particularly for critical areas. The cameras included in this particular Aposonic system are quite good - no upgrades necessary.

3. Aposonic's user interface is pretty good - easy to set up, and easy to operate. With a lot of competing models, searching for any particular recorded event is difficult - even frustrating in some cases.

As with most DVRs nowadays, it is IP addressable - You can use a smart phone or web browser to view "live" video from any of the cameras, or search for and play back recorded video.

The only thing not included in this package is a VGA monitor - Here's one that works well with it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm like you in a lot of ways. I grew up in Soviet Russia and had a "privilege" to survive the collapse of the Soviet Union. I could probably write a book about it. Crime increased by 100 fold in the late 80s. I had to watch my car wheels from being stolen while waiting for a light to turn green at an intersection. Keeping my car outside at night was out of the question. I had a garage with thick metal doors and several sophisticated locks.
The apartment we lived in was on the top floor. We had to barricade the whole floor entrance with 1/4 " metal plates and a heavy metal door. Several unprepared neighbors were killed during home invasions back then. Police was worse than bandits. I often laugh when i hear people complain about crime in the US.  They have no idea how bad it can get. I hope people in this country never experience a similar situation although it seems like things are heading south in many areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FerFAL

Gyprat:

I bet there are more here than just me that would like to see you write a book. If not, start posting your experiences right here in a thread, adding more every few day.  We don't care if you make typos or don't have the best grammar.  Heck, we native born Americans ain't got the best grammar neither!  I know I'd like to hear of your experiences growing up in a crumbling Soviet Union.  So please, either publish or post, but let us know what you lived through.  Kind of like FerFal's book, I bet it keeps us from making some very expensive mistakes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DVR/Camera Package

Aw, get out of here...

That isn't how the average Plebe analyzes his personal economics...

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I really am interested  in Gyprat's past experiences  as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top