Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 5:25:21 PM EDT
Ready to buy a bunch of storable #10 cans, and I have no idea where to start. There are so many places to buy now.

I know I like Mountain House because that's what I have eaten backpacking for 20 years, and I know I dislike Wise because I tried some of their samples.
I'm very open to suggestions on other brands that are comparable in quality to Mountain House. I also have a Costco membership, and they carry some storable stuff now too. Anyone know how it tastes? I also have Amazon prime if the prices there are competitive & the free shipping will save money.

I want long storage life, tasty when eaten, high calorie & protein (preferably real meat) & as reasonably priced as possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on places to start.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it sounds like you want to start prepping, awesome. Everyone has to start somewhere

My question is Why do you want #10 cans? Can (does) you(your family) able to eat all the food provided in a #10 can. I ask it this way because if you cannot finish it, how will you preserve it then. Its easy for someone to say "the fridge" but what about after the power goes out then what. Last thing I personally want is to waste food specially in a time of need. I like going with the smaller sized cans. Myself, wife and 2 kids (4 and 7) can eat 1 can of peas for dinner and there is some left over. I do understand the merit in getting that big of bulk to keep costs low but its something to consider afterwards.

If you decide to get mountain house (or other like products) Make sure you account the water usage in addition to the regular drinking water (its funny watching all the Doomsday preppers shows that stock this item but have more freeze dried food than they have water on hand)

If you want high quality food (taste wise) look into canning. While a typical general rule of thumb of shelf life is 1 year you would be able to do it towards your (and your family's) taste buds. Wife and I are going to do some trouble shooting with canning this winter before our gardening experience.

Above all before you buy anything edible make sure you and your family will eat it. No use of buying a case of Vienna sausages if only one person eats it
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
We have had opened #10 cans that the plastic lid was put back on that were "found" in the pantry 2 years after opening that were just fine when the contents were finished.

The idea that the contents will vanish into thin air 2.4 seconds after the can is opened is way overblown....

If your REALLY anal retentive you could put any unused remainder in plastic baggie. That's really not necessary though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Beprepared.com

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Some good info here, all data gathered from the vendor's pages:

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have had opened #10 cans that the plastic lid was put back on that were "found" in the pantry 2 years after opening that were just fine when the contents were finished.

The idea that the contents will vanish into thin air 2.4 seconds after the can is opened is way overblown....

If your REALLY anal retentive you could put any unused remainder in plastic baggie. That's really not necessary though.
View Quote

Diversity is a better option allowing for a SHTF scenario to be more bearable. There has been many studies showing eating the same food (same portion) doesn't mean that yourself will be full. It leads to eating more food to get the sensation of being full.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well it sounds like you want to start prepping, awesome. Everyone has to start somewhere
View Quote

I just want to buy a bunch of good tasting, long-term storable freeze-dried food in #10 cans.
I've been "prepping" since the eighties. I just don't have anything with a 20 year storage life except salt, spices, beans & rice. Stuff like that.
I have plenty of water.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Beprepared.com

View Quote

Anybody know how Overstock.com prices are vs. everywhere else? They seem to have a bunch of different brands.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of the best price I've found, especially on Mountain House has been to watch for sales at thereadystore.com
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just want to buy a bunch of good tasting, long-term storable freeze-dried food in #10 cans.
I've been "prepping" since the eighties. I just don't have anything with a 20 year storage life except salt, spices, beans & rice. Stuff like that.
I have plenty of water.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have plenty of water.

Ah fair enough. Remember at Costco if you don't like the product you can return it (even if its open) it needs to have most to all. As stated before try before you buy it
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Thrive foods run some really good deals once you get on the mailing list for sales.  Base prices are really steep but the stuff that's in season goes on sale so every month different items are significantly reduced.  If you get the yogurt bites keep them away from your children or they will all disappear...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thrive foods run some really good deals once you get on the mailing list for sales.  Base prices are really steep but the stuff that's in season goes on sale so every month different items are significantly reduced.  If you get the yogurt bites keep them away from your children or they will all disappear...
View Quote

I think that's the brand Costco carries. So it's good, huh?
I also need to get gluten-free stuff for my wife. She has Celiac disease.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Sams Club offers Aguason Farms FD food that you can order in and pick up at the store with no freight charges. All FD foods are expensive. I must admit that I don't like not being able to buy food without there being a record of it. I'd like to pay cash, walk out the door with my purchases, and know there's no paper trail to haunt me down the road.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I buy a lot of cases from honeyville grain.  You can also buy from the bishops storehouse (mormons).
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Diversity is a better option allowing for a SHTF scenario to be more bearable. There has been many studies showing eating the same food (same portion) doesn't mean that yourself will be full. It leads to eating more food to get the sensation of being full.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?? Guess I missed how that applies to what I wrote.

How much "diversity" are you actually going to have in a long term storage program involving #10 cans and already pre packaged meals like the OP was discussing? I see about 2 dozen different Mountain House (what was the OP asked about) entrees.

So even if you had all 24 different #10 cans with entrees, and used them on a rotating basis, closing the opened cans with a plastic lid, this still wouldn't be a problem.

From long term EXPERIENCE with storage food, even if you ate from one of those 24 cans a week and did not touch it again for the full rotation (24 weeks later) you would be FINE.

So again, the whole concept that when you open a #10 can it ALL has to be used up in a short period of time is utter BS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Whats the word on Augason Farms?

My local Sams sells them.Here is an example
I know its not enough calories but at that price I could get double what I could get at other places.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Whats the word on Augason Farms?

My local Sams sells them.Here is an example
I know its not enough calories but at that price I could get double what I could get at other places.
View Quote

I have some of their stuff (morning moos, vegetable soup etc)...I've figured out I like MH more than AF.   I will say all of the AF cans I got from Sams.com came in dented/damaged.  After several calls they never did make it right.  

On the other hand, the damaged cans I received directly from augason farms were replaced without too much hassle...but you must use the coupons/specials on the AF facebook page or you will pay too much.  If you can get AF in person at Sams thats probably better than ordering from sams.com

Don't overlook the LDS store...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#18]
How would you rate the taste of Augason Farms? Thinking about getting a small amount just to try.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#19]
i prefer augason farms.  but only for a tiny reason.  Mountain House is just as good really.

Ones in Utah, ones in Oregon.  

only number 10 can i open up is the Honey coated banana slices by Augason farms.
I love em.

wait I also use the augason farms powdered milk for baking bread and such.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How would you rate the taste of Augason Farms? Thinking about getting a small amount just to try.
View Quote

I think if you get on their website they will send you free samples.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I always thought FD food would spoil without refrigeration once opened
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How much "diversity" are you actually going to have in a long term storage program involving #10 cans and already pre packaged meals like the OP was discussing? I see about 2 dozen different Mountain House (what was the OP asked about) entrees.

So even if you had all 24 different #10 cans with entrees, and used them on a rotating basis, closing the opened cans with a plastic lid, this still wouldn't be a problem.

From long term EXPERIENCE with storage food, even if you ate from one of those 24 cans a week and did not touch it again for the full rotation (24 weeks later) you would be FINE.

So again, the whole concept that when you open a #10 can it ALL has to be used up in a short period of time is utter BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I look at it more as "not putting all eggs into one basket". But if your saying that #10 cans with lids works for an extended period of time with no refrigeration I might have to try a couple
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:57:09 AM EDT
[#23]
What do you guys think about this package as far as taste, storage life & price? And does "temporarily backordered" mean a long time with these guys, or is it a fairly normal thing with a minimal wait?
http://beprepared.com/premium-1600-one-year-supply.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some of the best price I've found, especially on Mountain House has been to watch for sales at thereadystore.com
View Quote

I use them, but I go to Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com) more. Thier prices are generally lower. But both run monthly sales and Ibuy on sales only. Two orders from EE last month.
I just looked at Thrive, real quick the they are higher that The Ready Store. Sam's BJs and Walmart have Augason. I use Walmart a lot also. Most of my wheat was from Walmart and I have about a 1,000 pounds so far. You need to shop around to get the most for your dollar. Watch the ones with a 'consultant' they are getting commissions to sell. I like dealing with a computer. The less hands the better a price.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ready to buy a bunch of storable #10 cans, ble.

View Quote
if your starting out, dont waste money on FD food

If not, MH>emergency essentials (be prepared)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wise and other FD food

Wise sux balls, dont waste your time

EE has better selection than MH, generally cheaper and nearly just as good.

The sams/costo crap has always been low on calories high on price

The best advice in this thread was to sign up with emergency essentials and get on the mailing list.

I just bought a ton of grilled meat last night for half of normal prices.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What do you guys think about this package as far as taste, storage life & price? And does "temporarily backordered" mean a long time with these guys, or is it a fairly normal thing with a minimal wait?

http://beprepared.com/premium-1600-one-year-supply.html
View Quote
you get more if you buy specials and only what you need.

Their package deals are not that great IMO unless you want fire and forget.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If not, MH>emergency essentials (be prepared)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wise and other FD food

The best advice in this thread was to sign up with emergency essentials and get on the mailing list.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ready to buy a bunch of storable #10 cans, ble.

I have 10 cases of meat, all different kinds, with bacon, shrimp and meatballs and more
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#28]
The cheapest I found was http://www.nitro-pak.com/ compared to everyone else. I put in a $300 order last month of mountain house. They shipped quick, too.

ETA: http://theepicenter.com/ was my second choice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I also have a case of #10 cans of chocolate chips, cake mixes, corn brean and who knows what, shop the sales, I use plenty of suppliers
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I found this place tonight. Best prices on #10 cans with free shipping over $100.
http://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/Mountain_House_Cans.htm

Placed an order for 6 cans.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I use them, but I go to Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com) more. Thier prices are generally lower. But both run monthly sales and Ibuy on sales only. Two orders from EE last month.
I just looked at Thrive, real quick the they are higher that The Ready Store. Sam's BJs and Walmart have Augason. I use Walmart a lot also. Most of my wheat was from Walmart and I have about a 1,000 pounds so far. You need to shop around to get the most for your dollar. Watch the ones with a 'consultant' they are getting commissions to sell. I like dealing with a computer. The less hands the better a price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I've used Emergency Essentials as well.  Found that The Ready Store seems to have better deals if you really wait for them, but overall Emergency Essentials is cheaper.  Bought quite a bit of misc non food stuff through Emergency Essentials as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#32]
EE have been good and fast to ship. I have stored things that might seem crazy, but I see the world turned upside down for awhile. Things we are used too, will be in short supply. Ready Store has some off the wall stuff like chocolate chips. SHTF will be more like crap times. The Depression in the 30s was nothing like what we face.  I had a friend that grew up then, He told me they didn't have much and didn't know about the Depression until the end. His mom had a big garden, canned, and they lived on very little.  Can you see people today going through that today? No cable, no cell, no eating out?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I found this place tonight. Best prices on #10 cans with free shipping over $100.
http://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/Mountain_House_Cans.htm

Placed an order for 6 cans.
View Quote

Wow, really good pricing. Thanks for the link! I just spent a bunch somewhere else, but I bought another dozen cans from them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Watch Ready Store on servings. I was looking at diced beef, EE is 15 servings and Ready Store is 28. The weight is the same, they use smaller servings. I was lucky I bought a lot of meat before the price went up 50% or more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top