User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just bought a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 without power steering. It is a beast. I bought it for hunting and use around my farm with a pull behind DR mower. I took it hunting this weekend and we went to change some SD cards and batteries out with two grown men sitting next to each other and a child sitting normal pulling steep hills like it was nothing with probably 575 lb load(not usually what we do but we needed to make some time). I can be going up hills slow give it some gas and it instantly kicks in and goes. I've hauled corn, feeders, stands etc with it. I highly recommend this unit.
View Quote

No power steering?  Ugghhh....

No way I'd spend that much on a quad and not get the option.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How muddy is super muddy?
I like my rincon. no problems with it. rode hard from day one. It has 2000 miles on it now.
Bought a rhino for 4k and parked the rincon for a year and it cranked right up with a new battery.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/73190e19-22dd-4301-9815-94b5b2e28329_zps01ad6acd.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/l_0ec70a038ec67cf27605d4b4bda8f681-1.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I appreciate all the responses.  Let me ask a different question, what are the features you would want in an ATV that you would depend on where reliability was the number one requirement and the environment was super muddy?

How muddy is super muddy?
I like my rincon. no problems with it. rode hard from day one. It has 2000 miles on it now.
Bought a rhino for 4k and parked the rincon for a year and it cranked right up with a new battery.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/73190e19-22dd-4301-9815-94b5b2e28329_zps01ad6acd.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/l_0ec70a038ec67cf27605d4b4bda8f681-1.jpg

Sorry to hear about your drought.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/eracer1111/Grizzly%20700/WorkClothes_zpsee7c28db.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 without power steering. It is a beast. I bought it for hunting and use around my farm with a pull behind DR mower. I took it hunting this weekend and we went to change some SD cards and batteries out with two grown men sitting next to each other and a child sitting normal pulling steep hills like it was nothing with probably 575 lb load(not usually what we do but we needed to make some time). I can be going up hills slow give it some gas and it instantly kicks in and goes. I've hauled corn, feeders, stands etc with it. I highly recommend this unit.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/eracer1111/Grizzly%20700/WorkClothes_zpsee7c28db.jpg

Is that a Grizzly 700?  Do you have a lift on that?  What about the tires?   Nice ride.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Honda or Yamaha and nothing else.
View Quote

Went through your research effort last year for my first ATV and ended up with the same conclusion for manufacturers as above.  Bought a new '12 Rancher 420 last summer with power steering and elec shift, and since they were bringing out the '14 models I got a great price from the dealer.  

Power steering is nice when using a 15 gal sprayer mounted on the rear and steering with only one hand.  It pulls the 5x8 trailer (that I haul it on) with whatever I need to work on the 20 ac hilly farm.  Since I'm 60, I haven't felt the need to submerge it, but it has been in some slick gumbo puddles and steep clay banks along the river bottom on the deer lease without getting stuck.  Just put it in 4x4 and it never stopped.  Thought about adding a winch, but haven't come close to needing one yet - but I do carry a tow rope or strap just in case.

Some ATV trails, especially out west, have a 50" wide maximum restriction, so you might want to consider that if you plan to travel with it.  The gun racks and front and back baskets are really handy for carrying stuff, and easy to put on or take off yourself (don't pay the dealer for this).
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought my 2007 Grizzly 700 new in late 2006 with zero problems to date.  I don't ride it too hard, but I haven't babied it.  It's been a great machine.

Also bought a new 2012 Polaris Ranger 800XP EPS which has been a great machine as well.

Can't go wrong with Yamaha or Polaris, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone own/have experience with one of these?

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/fourtrax-recon.aspx

Don't need a boatload of power, won't be racing it or riding it too hard.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

How big a boy are ya?
They are small for normal adults. Not really strong or stable with a big person on them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have 5 of them. We use them for irrigating.

If your over 200lbs you will kill the clutch if your pulling hills at all. They are super fun to ride (like mopeds and fat girls) you just don't want your buddies know you ride one. The recons are physically small, and are kinda uncomfy if your big or tall.

If you want a smaller quad look at Hondas 350. They may call it a foreman or a rancher I can't remember. They have better power and are sized bigger to be more comfortable to ride.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called 4 dealers and that was the only one I could get(no power steering) and they all said good luck we get what we get and they just ship them. I wanted one for hunting season so I took what was available. Yes, power steering was something I wanted but tis life. Still a bad ass machine, the fuel injection is night and day from the carb models IMO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How big a boy are ya?
They are small for normal adults. Not really strong or stable with a big person on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big a boy are ya?

A lot smaller than I used to be :)

180, 5' 11"
Don't plan on tearing around on it too much. The boy will probably use it also. He's smaller.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is that a Grizzly 700?  Do you have a lift on that?  What about the tires?   Nice ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!
I swapped the OEM tire/wheels off.  They were 25x10x8 front, 25x10x10 rear, so that added 2" ride height overall.
2014 Grizzly 700 FI EPS - Hunter Green

Hiper Sidewinder Carbon Fiber Wheels

Interco SwampLite (F:27x12x10,R:27x12x12)

ELKA Stage 3 Shocks

Warn 75221 Bumper

Warn ProVantage 3500 Winch

Iron Baltic HDPE Full Skid Plate Kit

Mighty-Lite Front/Rear Racks

JBS Sheave / Gold Secondary / 16g

Flexx Handlebar w/2" Rox Riser (15° Bend)

Here's my favorite pic:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I called 4 dealers and that was the only one I could get(no power steering) and they all said good luck we get what we get and they just ship them. I wanted one for hunting season so I took what was available. Yes, power steering was something I wanted but tis life. Still a bad ass machine, the fuel injection is night and day from the carb models IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No doubt about that.  I still have a 2007 Grizzly 400 with a carb.  FI is really, really nice.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

180, 5' 11"
Don't plan on tearing around on it too much. The boy will probably use it also. He's smaller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big a boy are ya?

180, 5' 11"

Should be good then.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gator for utility. That or Polaris sportsman 500.
View Quote

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not....

But if you aren't...

Anybody that has actually ridden/used UTV's in the last 10 years KNOWS that Gators are bottom barrel. They didn't keep up with the times. Their intended market is older farmers that can't get around well and just want to putt around the field watching the younger generation do the farming... You may laugh at my stereotype, but it's mostly true. How many gators do you see actually going through rough terrain, nasty mud, hauling/towing big loads etc? Not very many... as a matter of fact, I've never seen any doing those things... because they SUCK at all of it...

Gator is the UTV for people that eat green eggs & ham, wear green underwear, sleep in green beds, and dream green dreams... the people that don't actually demand much from their equipment... for everybody else there are legit options...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#16]
03 honda Rancher with zero issues.  Everyone that I know that bought a Polaris has had issues with them.  I would never buy anything but a Honda when it comes to ATVs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to go with a less popular response.  I own three quads and my favorites are the 250's and 300's.  Obviously, you're posting this here to get the preppers' opinions on it as well.  The 250's and 300's are generally air-cooled, use carbs rather than EFI (so easier to work on) and simply "sip" fuel.  My Honda 250 Recon is awesome.  I'm 6'2", 205 lbs and it can take me anywhere.  It's a utility quad, so it has the racks on it to carry plenty.  My other smaller quad is a Polaris Hawkeye, which is a 300cc engine.  It has a winch and is also a utility quad...  think a medium sized Sportsman.  It also sips fuel - though the Honda does better in that respect.  The Polaris has IRS, where the Honda is a SRA.  Both have push-button start, but also a backup pull-starter.

When you start getting into the larger quads, you lose some of the simplicity and redundancy in exchange for convenience and power.  My quads probably top out at 35 MPH.

Honda Recon 250 - Never had a single problem.  Runs very quiet.  Semi-auto shifting (manual, clutchless).  Very efficient with fuel.  If I could only keep one - it would be this one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with a less popular response.  I own three quads and my favorites are the 250's and 300's.  Obviously, you're posting this here to get the preppers' opinions on it as well.  The 250's and 300's are generally air-cooled, use carbs rather than EFI (so easier to work on) and simply "sip" fuel.  My Honda 250 Recon is awesome.  I'm 6'2", 205 lbs and it can take me anywhere.  It's a utility quad, so it has the racks on it to carry plenty.  My other smaller quad is a Polaris Hawkeye, which is a 300cc engine.  It has a winch and is also a utility quad...  think a medium sized Sportsman.  It also sips fuel - though the Honda does better in that respect.  The Polaris has IRS, where the Honda is a SRA.  Both have push-button start, but also a backup pull-starter.

When you start getting into the larger quads, you lose some of the simplicity and redundancy in exchange for convenience and power.  My quads probably top out at 35 MPH.

Honda Recon 250 - Never had a single problem.  Runs very quiet.  Semi-auto shifting (manual, clutchless).  Very efficient with fuel.  If I could only keep one - it would be this one.
View Quote

Thank you. Just the kind of stuff I was looking for.

I also noticed the recoil ignition is an "option" on most of the higher dollar/larger units.

Might be important long term.

What could go dead via an EMP on something like this? I figure I will park mine in a container anyways for space considerations.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#19]
My vote - Honda Rancher/Foreman, manual shift. Bullet proof, low maintenance means years of carefree service. You can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#20]
05 Suzuki Eiger manual, great machine other than a crappy carb.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Yamaha for the win!!

I have a 2000 Kodiak. Just put my first set of tires on it. Changed battery last year, and breather and oil as needed. Only problem I ever had other than that was a piece of gasket from the fuel shutoff came loose. It stuck in the float in the carb, and flooded the breather box and gas got into oil. Took apart and fixed that, changed oil and going strong. I do not ride in mud much, but plow LOTS of snow every year. If it puked tomorrow, I would by another in a minute!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I sold my 2000 Honda Rancher with 10,200 miles on it and the guy I sold it to still rides it. Only sold it to upgrade to a Rincon
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Suzuki makes a solid simple 4 wheeler,  If your looking for a utility I would check them out for sure.  Honda would be next on my list.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yamaha for the win!!

I have a 2000 Kodiak. Just put my first set of tires on it. Changed battery last year, and breather and oil as needed. Only problem I ever had other than that was a piece of gasket from the fuel shutoff came loose. It stuck in the float in the carb, and flooded the breather box and gas got into oil. Took apart and fixed that, changed oil and going strong. I do not ride in mud much, but plow LOTS of snow every year. If it puked tomorrow, I would by another in a minute!!
View Quote

Must not drive it much then.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yamaha for the win!!

Not like I want to for sure. I  plow a lot of snow, and some yard work. Still looks like new for the most part. I rode alot when I got it, but it seems life gets in the way anymore.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got a Honda pioneer 500 side by side, it fits in my truck bed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you drive a dump truck?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you thinking of the 700?  The 500 is just under 50" wide.

Eta: 2002 tundra.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome. I didn't realize there were any side by sides that narrow.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The RZR 800 is 50" wide and has been out since 2008.  Now replaced in 2015 with the RZR 900 trail, also 50" wide.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]
If I ever get another its going to be a yamaha or honda in the 350-400 range . When I farmed I had a yam big bear 400 and my helper had a grizzly 660 , the 660 was nice out in the open but on the trail in the swamp the 400 was alot more manageable . When I would stick it I could man handle it by myself , the 660 would take both of us to get it out or twisted around .
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't have extensive experience with ATVs, but enough over the last 20 years or so to have some opinions from using them as tools for the hunt camp and farm work.

The guys who have Polaris like the ride and the power but the ones I've known have also visited the shop more often than Yammies or Hondas.

I've known several fellow hunters who own Yammies and they seem to be solid machines.  They seem pretty popular with a bunch of my hunting buddies.  I've owned a couple of their motorcycles and they were solid and reliable.

I've owned Honda, Ranchers to be specific.  Had a Rancher 350 for several years, 4x4 manual shift and it was strong and reliable.  I had an itch for a Rancher 420 because the 4x4 is switchable so sold the 350 to a friend 6 years ago (he still owns it and uses on his 20 acres) and bought a 1 year used Rancher 420.  I still own the 420 and it's been flawless as well.  Both machines were bare bones and I think that has quite a bit to do with the reliability.

I don't run them hard, don't run through deep water or mud bog with them.  I use them as tools to get around at the hunt camp and property, haul feed bags, pull a utility trailer or disc harrow for food plots, dragging hogs back to camp, etc.  The smaller ATVs are very useful when getting around in the woods due to their smaller size and the 420 has plenty of power to do all the tasks I've needed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I have two,  a 1986 Honda 250 Four Trax, 2wd, I can not say enough good about this machine--if in mud, add a winch--thats really for unreasonable mud, normal mud, it will go right through.

I also have a 1997 Honda 400 Foreman 4x4, I like it but it drinks to much gas for my tastes.  If you are using it for a job then it would be a good choice too.  

I think the best for me would be a Honda 300 with a winch and front and rear racks.  4x2  Just simpler than a 4x4
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I have two,  a 1986 Honda 250 Four Trax, 2wd, I can not say enough good about this machine--if in mud, add a winch--thats really for unreasonable mud, normal mud, it will go right through.

I also have a 1997 Honda 400 Foreman 4x4, I like it but it drinks to much gas for my tastes.  If you are using it for a job then it would be a good choice too.  

I think the best for me would be a Honda 300 with a winch and front and rear racks.  4x2  Just simpler than a 4x4
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I forgot to add, I have to have one that has a kick or pull start for backup.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top