Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2014 12:09:19 AM EDT
I read in a magazine a few years back about how the contractors in IraqAstan amor a standard ford F250. Got me thinking, I've got a couple F250s I got for 1,000$ at goverment surplus auctions, why not build armor around one?

Anyways: pics or ideas of how to best do it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]
How much scratch do you have to put toward it?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
seems like the easiest would be a plate exoskeleton.

Welded beams to the frame to support.

Think overall it would be significantly more trouble than it was worth.

Id rather spend cash on body armor
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]
In all honestly I thought it just sounds like a fun project and the plus side is it may be useful in a riot situation.
My thought is: build a 5/8" steel plate box in the bed with a V shape in the rear to deflect bullets, suround the cab with steel, fold down window shields, skirt the tires, steel mud flaps. Run flat tires, maybe. I know I can't even afford the steel, but wundering if it's been done? How about pics of the contractor trucks I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In all honestly I thought it just sounds like a fun project and the plus side is it may be useful in a riot situation.
My thought is: build a 5/8" steel plate box in the bed with a V shape in the rear to deflect bullets, suround the cab with steel, fold down window shields, skirt the tires, steel mud flaps. Run flat tires, maybe. I know I can't even afford the steel, but wundering if it's been done? How about pics of the contractor trucks I'm talking about?
View Quote

Yep, I can see that now running around on the streets of Ferguson MO, during the riots!

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]

I was wondering how long until killdozer showed up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]
just search for mexican cartells armor

I would bolt not weld, ymmv
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Armor plating is not cheap.  It's also really heavy so shipping/delivery would be expensive also.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]
The thing to be mindful of is weight.  Even a F250 will hit its limit quickly.  Those tacticals / armored trucks on TV are heavy and planned service life is usually ~1yr.  

Trucks are designed to carry their excess weight in the rear only.  Front suspension has little margin for extra weight.

I would made a ballistic shield for the radiator and windshield, the rear of the cab, and door sides.  Then use surplus military run flat tires.  Wear body armour when driving.  This should get you most of the way there.  80/20 principal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably be cheaper and easier buying an out of service apc like the British ferret and drive that around when you need to.  There are plenty of guys who do and several military vehicle clubs you could join(coming from a guy who is restoring two ferrets for car and air shows).  Get on steel soldiers and look around awhile.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The pre-WWII White Scout Car (M3) was basically an armored White truck (a commercial truck, not a pick up) that carried a reconnaisance squad (it wasn't a cargo truck).

It wasn't much armor in the sense that it was 'bullet proof' against .30 ball, but not .30 AP or .50.

My boss has one in his WWII vehicle collection - driving it is like driving a 1930s truck.  They weren't really front line reconnaissance vehicles for very long.

I think that a F250 is too small to do anything but 'uparmor' with kevlar.  Something like an F-450 or F-59 stripped chassis would be a good starting point for a custom build.

The problem is that vehicles like the F-350 through the 650 and chassis cab models (and their GMC / Chevrolet counterparts) put the driver up high behind a big engine on a tall chassis.

And the 4x4 White was 79" tall with out any sort of lift kit.  Any lifted modern 4x4 is going to be taller.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]
go on ebay and buy an old bank truck or converted van.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The pre-WWII White Scout Car (M3) was basically an armored White truck (a commercial truck, not a pick up) that carried a reconnaisance squad (it wasn't a cargo truck).

It wasn't much armor in the sense that it was 'bullet proof' against .30 ball, but not .30 AP or .50.

My boss has one in his WWII vehicle collection - driving it is like driving a 1930s truck.  They weren't really front line reconnaissance vehicles for very long.

I think that a F250 is too small to do anything but 'uparmor' with kevlar.  Something like an F-450 or F-59 stripped chassis would be a good starting point for a custom build.

The problem is that vehicles like the F-350 through the 650 and chassis cab models (and their GMC / Chevrolet counterparts) put the driver up high behind a big engine on a tall chassis.

And the 4x4 White was 79" tall with out any sort of lift kit.  Any lifted modern 4x4 is going to be taller.
View Quote

I like the Kevlar idea,    It would also be easy to put some plate at the front of the bed near the cab to offer protection from the rear.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm likeing these.
http://usopenborders.com/2012/01/drug-cartels-in-mexico-used-mad-max-vehicles-to-protect-their-drugs/
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Pick up the steel and tools needed to complete the conversion and then just keep them on hand. No need to complete the build at this time.

Watch a few episodes of the original A-Team and you'll see that a couple of guys can build a full armored vehicle in less than 45 minutes while the bad guys are on the way to the fight.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Teh armor gig gets stupid quickly.

Yea the kill dozer was bullet proof, but it was a one way trip for the driver...

If I see some ijiut driving about in a cartel technical around here, then I would help the local sheriff F**K up the technical

Just sayin
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

In a recent GD thread about LE use of MRAPS, one of our LEO members said his department used to have an old cash delivery truck, and a 12 ga slug penetrated both sides of it during a shootout.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would do this. Apparently the mex cartels have had some success with it, but I don't think they have a manual on how-to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.google.com/images?q=ford+truck+pics+from+iraq&hl=en&tbm=isch&oq=&gs_l=

First row is how convoy security teams I saw set there Ford 250 and 350 up.

I used standard Suburban 2500 all over Baghdad. Speed is the key and not stopping when the bad guys want you to.

Plus if you hit a IED your probably dead no matter what anyway and I like being able to shoot back.

The unmodified trucks hardly ever broke down but the armored ones had issues.

If I did add armor state side it would be 3a vest inserts in the doors. Light and wont damage anything while giving some protection.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and then fit a gattling gun in the back and you are ready for the end of the world...

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
What about this stuff? Peel and stick armor?  Saw it a while back, I would imagine it could be cut to cover the inside of a door of a vehicle.

http://www.hardwirellc.com/solutions/school/door.htm
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a bunch of Kejo ballistic blankets i could use to protect against non rifle rounds.

they are kind of old though, like 7 years old or so.  

not sure if i wanna bog down any vehicle with the added weight from steel plating.

I dont own a turbo diesel truck.

i suppose it would be easy enough to pick some spots to harden on a car, like the head rest and seat and the doors proper maybe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Pick up the steel and tools needed to complete the conversion and then just keep them on hand. No need to complete the build at this time.
Watch a few episodes of the original A-Team and you'll see that a couple of guys can build a full armored vehicle in less than 45 minutes while the bad guys are on the way to the fight.
View Quote
You can do it in less than a minute with the right music

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Just buy a bank truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMORED-TRUCK-/111460354668?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19f38e0a6c&item=111460354668&pt=Military_Vehicles

or focus on occupant protection and perhaps a plate or two of ar500 in front of the radiator, with a nice ranch hand bumper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just buy a bank truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMORED-TRUCK-/111460354668?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19f38e0a6c&item=111460354668&pt=Military_Vehicles

or focus on occupant protection and perhaps a plate or two of ar500 in front of the radiator, with a nice ranch hand bumper.
View Quote

Most of those don't stop much at all.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is a cool truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIhZM0lA8Q

@ 1:15 they shoot it with a AK, with 2 guys inside...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Probably be cheaper and easier buying an out of service apc like the British ferret and drive that around when you need to.  There are plenty of guys who do and several military vehicle clubs you could join(coming from a guy who is restoring two ferrets for car and air shows).  Get on steel soldiers and look around awhile.
View Quote

This or a surplus Shorland Armored car would be easier and more cost effective IMHO.  I've seen nice Shorelands go cheap.

Plus you could drive it in 4th of July parades and throw candy to the kids or something.  ;)
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
In a recent GD thread about LE use of MRAPS, one of our LEO members said his department used to have an old cash delivery truck, and a 12 ga slug penetrated both sides of it during a shootout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aluminum armor at best.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Why reinvent the wheel, just seek out an older one .......

http://www.mvpa.org

Look here  -->  http://www.mvpa.org/publications/classifieds/

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Where'd you find these pictures?  I'd love to find some more pictures of that last pair of trucks.
View All Quotes

Googles. haha

Cant find them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Bulletproofme.com used to sell kevlar by the square foot in I believe custom shapes.  They may still do so.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What'd you search for?
View All Quotes

dunno. gun truck armored truck iraq 2500 all that. randomly
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Did some wotk on the JLTV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to manage a maintenance shop for an armored car company . We used to own our own factory . I pretty much know them in and out . I sent someone on here who was building a bunker a gun port . glass is expensive and has a life span , The sun delaminates glass over time . Weight is an issue our trucks weighted about 17,000 pounds empty on a 26,000 pound chassis . Our armored Econolines weighted 9500 pounds on a 9800 chassis , the vans went through front end parts like crazy.  Our truck were sold used to a dealer in New Mexico who sold used armored cars . I would buy a 97-99 Ford F-650 with a Cummins and an Allison . or if you go smaller get an F ford Chassis . The E van sucks to work on . The GM products are a joke . International is a great truck but most of ours had hydraulic brakes . You want air brakes on a 26000 truck instead of hydraulic disc . The air is a lot cheaper to maintain. An international with air brakes and a DT engine would be awesome as well .

Now the part people care about all of them are pistol proof .  The vans are not rifle proof except glass . and some parts of the rest of the body . The Kevlar paneled versions are a joke. The big trucks are mainly rifle proof except a few areas . The trucks are not full of concrete and do not have run flat tires . In my 10 years we had exactly one shot tire and it was a side effect of a shoot out
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#40]
The thing I remember about the trucks my company had in Iraq besides the armor and gun turrets were how the emergency equipment was set up.

Every truck had a heavy duty bumper.  Wrapped around the bumper was a tow strap already attached to the frame and ready to go if a vehicle went down.

At least one full size spare tire was kept on the vehicle in a spot that was easier to get to then the under bed mount on most trucks.  The stock jacks were thrown away and a heavy duty high lift floor jack was carried along with a four way lug wrench.  All this was to make a tire change as fast as possible.  PSD teams practiced tire changes like nascar pit crews, but with 360 security.

Every truck had an extensive medical kit including a backboard strapped to the exterior.

Multiple fire extinguishers were carried both inside the vehicle and mounted externally.  Additionally diesel trucks were used whenever possible since they were harder to set on fire then gasoline.

These mods seem more realistic and easier then armor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

A good percentage of the armored cars in service today are not actually armored due to the cost.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Once you get over about 3000 pounds it really starts effecting the performance of a gas Superduty, rides fantastic though, the diesels could probably handle a little more, the snowplow front suspension option is gonna be a big plus.
Personally, I wouldn't try for mine resistant, or even all that big of rifle, nor would I try armoring every point, I'd try to keep speed and agility, keep the weight minimal and down low. Maybe 1/4" AR plate in the doors course it's going to kill the hinges much quicker, build a headache rack that goes to the bed floor using the same or 3/8", make some kinda guard to protect the radiator, which will be huge since it goes from the bottom of the bumper to within inches of the hood, and needs to not kill air flow too much. Drop the seats down to get as much of you as possible behind the door plates and motor. Probably try to shield the fuel tank some too, since unexpectedly purging all your fuel will cause some issues.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most 'armored cars" doing bank runs are in fact nit armored
Its a shell game to keep the observer guessing which ones have any additional protection
As for OP, not sure what up-armored options you're thinking of.
heavy duty suspensions, special glass, Kevlar linings inside panels, fire suppression systems in the engine compartment might be a starting place for you if you really want to emulate up-armored vehicles used by contractors overseas
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Its a shell game to keep the observer guessing which ones have any additional protection
heavy duty suspensions, special glass, Kevlar linings inside panels, fire suppression systems in the engine compartment might be a starting place for you if you really want to emulate up-armored vehicles used by contractors overseas
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% of our armored cars hauling money are in fact armored . I will admit I have never heard that line before. I have seen what the 4 major companies use as armored cars . They are armored unless you are talking .50 bmg and RPG level . I have seen a little independent company hauling cash in a rented window van but that would be the exception and not the rule.. Almost all robberies we had in 10 years were handguns. so a shotgun or rifle would be a rare event
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

100% of our armored cars hauling money are in fact armored . I will admit I have never heard that line before. I have seen what the 4 major companies use as armored cars . They are armored unless you are talking .50 bmg and RPG level . I have seen a little independent company hauling cash in a rented window van but that would be the exception and not the rule.. Almost all robberies we had in 10 years were handguns. so a shotgun or rifle would be a rare event
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you work for AT Systems? I worked for them for 2 years, quit a little bit after it became Garda.

All our cars were armored. I was told the roofs were pretty light duty though.

I really doubt there are armored car companies that have a bunch of "unarmored" cars in the fleet and 1 or 2 that are.

When you are running loads around, you don't want to be like "can't send that car, it doesn't have enough armor!"

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Seems like an armored vehicle would do double duty and make a great Faraday Cage.

Just add extra copper screening to any openings and use one of those conductive strap flaps that hang from the bottom of trucks to ground it.

Think of everything you could store and keep in your back yard.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Did you work for AT Systems? I worked for them for 2 years, quit a little bit after it became Garda.

I really doubt there are armored car companies that have a bunch of "unarmored" cars in the fleet and 1 or 2 that are.

When you are running loads around, you don't want to be like "can't send that car, it doesn't have enough armor!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I did over 10 years between the 2 companies . There were some weak points to be sure . but the armored cars they built were tested (shot at)  They also had a strong enough internal frame that they would support themselves when rolled over with minimal damage .  I had the chance to deal with 5 different manufacturers of armored cars .
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The thing I remember about the trucks my company had in Iraq besides the armor and gun turrets were how the emergency equipment was set up.

Every truck had a heavy duty bumper.  Wrapped around the bumper was a tow strap already attached to the frame and ready to go if a vehicle went down.

At least one full size spare tire was kept on the vehicle in a spot that was easier to get to then the under bed mount on most trucks.  The stock jacks were thrown away and a heavy duty high lift floor jack was carried along with a four way lug wrench.  All this was to make a tire change as fast as possible.  PSD teams practiced tire changes like nascar pit crews, but with 360 security.

Every truck had an extensive medical kit including a backboard strapped to the exterior.

Multiple fire extinguishers were carried both inside the vehicle and mounted externally.  Additionally diesel trucks were used whenever possible since they were harder to set on fire then gasoline.

These mods seem more realistic and easier then armor.
View Quote

I think this is some of the best advice so far.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#49]
We had a truck rollover. I wasn't there, but they pulled it back over and drove it to the mechanic shop. No issues but maybe a tie rod replaced. It was an older truck, 2086 I think.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#50]
The emergency equipment post is good advice.

Concentrate on making the trucks run no matter what they run over, through or into. Bumpers, skid pans, fuel tanks, etc.

If you are running two or more vehicles make sure they are set up the same on everything. Placement of emergency gear, placement of down vehicle strap, radios, etc.

Maybe add some armor in vital areas like the doors, fire wall area and rear of the cab later.

If your planning on running these as a BOV go low vis as possible on everything.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top