3000 dollars
20 pound bags of rice x20 800
10 pound bags of beans x10 100
50 pound bags of dogfood x10 200
10 cylinders of propane 500
spam in the can x200 600
flour sugar coffee tea candy as much as I can get for 500
300 dollars worth of various canned vegetables
I would then go home and fill the bathtub water bladder and the one int he basement and fill all the water jugs.

This is a one trip load the SUV up as fast as possible with the 3 grand I had in cash right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I go spend that 3000 grand on water and food, and call the wife and tell her to get home and be ready to bunker up.
Go spray paint lines on my street at both ends that say DO NOT CROSS and prepare.

What food specifically?  Every time I go shopping with the gf, I find myself imagining what product are highest priority and which are lowest?  I fear that the French Toast prepper bred into me from growing up in new England and being to told to get milk, eggs and bread will surface when the stress level rises.  

I'm sure there are better choices and I'm trying to develop a list for the scenario.  Most boxed food is inherently unhealthy.

Should I first clear out the canned meats isle for protein?   Rice and bean isle?  Fresh batteries to supplement the ones I already have, but may be on the shelf for a year or so?  

I'm thinking canned and jarred foods get the nod?  I'm less concerned with my water than many of you are.  I have a well, the pool and if need be many ponds around me to draw from, and containers to transport the short distances.  That and water is heavy and difficult to store in bulk.  Do you guys disagreeable my water situation given these resources?

lets see
3000 dollars
20 pound bags of rice x20 800
10 pound bags of beans x10 100
50 pound bags of dogfood x10 200
10 cylinders of propane 500
spam in the can x200 600
flour sugar coffee tea candy as much as I can get for 500
300 dollars worth of various canned vegetables
I would then go home and fill the bathtub water bladder and the one int he basement and fill all the water jugs.

This is a one trip load the SUV up as fast as possible with the 3 grand I had in cash right now.

sounds like a run to sams club.

Reality is that there are damn few scenariois where the shtf is going to be so clear cut, it's going to grind into something horrific over a period of weeks or months. 2007 is a good example. Now if cities start blowing up, i bet sams isn't going to be a calm place to be at.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

First, I would like to apologize. I should NOT be online when I am that darn tired and crabby.

Thank you Rat_Patrol, I might have overreacted a bit on my side too.  It was late an I think we're all on the same team in the SF.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I am pretty well prepped, I might top off some food and basic first aid stuff, only if it would not take too long and it was on my way, but for the most part, my goal would be get home and avoid anyone else who might be topping off. I would top off the gas in the vehicle once I was at my destination just for the heck of it, but also have gas stored in a real pinch to do that at home.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Years ago I used to fantasize the "3 hour prep run".

Now I realize it's just that, although I think there is some value to the exercise of prioritizing your actions.

If folks think they are going to have three hours to stock up while the Sheeple graze, I think they will have a rude awakening.

It doesn't take long to clog the isles once someone Tweets -FIRE!

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You realize you have about a 2-3 hour head start on the sheeple.

It is not dangerous to be out and about, yet.

You have about $3000 to stock up on a few things before the sheeple realize what is up.

You've been lurking/participating on the ARFCOM Survival Forum already for a few years and have a pretty good stockpile already, including:
6-9 months worth of food for YOUR family
Plenty of Pistols, rifles, shotguns, mags and ammo, including some spares
Reloading tools and supplies
Multiple BOBs, GHBs.
Body armor and night vision
Plenty of home/yard tools (chain saw, hand tools, etc)
Propane whole house generator & gas 5000w portable
120 gal of diesel & 50 gal of gas
750 gal of propane
2 cases of bottled water, a well which can run of either gunny
A pool with 44,000 gallons of water and a saltwater chlorination system.
Ham Radios
A few buckets of heirloom seeds

You know you' re probably thin on:
Medical supplies

You know there will be friends (most fellow preppers to some degree, some more prepared than others) that may eventually be coming to your location if things get particularly bad, and they will be bringing as much of their preps as they can carry.

What items would you try to acquire at the last minute?  What last few things would you try to beat the sheeple to, or top off on?

Would you send the wife/girlfriend out to get items BEFORE you got home from work, having both of you split up and try to cover more ground, or would you have her wait until you were able to accompany her?

Essentially, what does a fairly prepared preppers panic buying look like???
View Quote

Why do you have diesel? One gen runs on gas and the other on Propane.
50 gallons of gas is not much. Like 10 days worth on that genny.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The more I think about this the less I like the idea of trying to prioritize and buy preps at the last minute. My goal would probably be to just buy more gas and French toast supplies. I'm pretty solid on everything else and getting better all the time.

When you are facing a huge upset in the area or the world you really need to be able to stay out of the way or you will get crushed in the panic. I like to be able to sit back and process the situation without panic or fear.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The more I think about this the less I like the idea of trying to prioritize and buy preps at the last minute. My goal would probably be to just buy more gas and French today supplies.

snip...
View Quote

I read gas and french fries
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The more I think about this the less I like the idea of trying to prioritize and buy preps at the last minute. My goal would probably be to just buy more gas and French today supplies.

snip...

Damn auto correct. French toast supplies. Bread, milk. We have plenty of eggs!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

But but but

I LIKE french fries
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But but but

I LIKE french fries
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But but but

I LIKE french fries

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Years ago I used to fantasize the "3 hour prep run".

Now I realize it's just that, although I think there is some value to the exercise of prioritizing your actions.

If folks think they are going to have three hours to stock up while the Sheeple graze, I think they will have a rude awakening.

It doesn't take long to clog the isles once someone Tweets -FIRE!

View Quote

This. The wife and I used to keep a stash of cash in the safe just for this last-minute prep raid. I gave that (the notion of the raid) notion up years ago. Now, I'd just fill the bathtubs/sinks/washing machine with water and then focus on reaching-out to my family members and letting them know what was about to happen (to my best guess) and try to calmly get my existing preps organized for quick retrieval/removal if need be. The biggest thing for me would be to share with my family how much I love them and how we can all come together to do our best to face the upcoming trials with patience, love, and cool heads. I started prepping more seriously 11 years ago because of my love for them, and that's still the most important thing to me. I'd rather thrive than just survive... and thriving means means being surrounded by my loved ones, for me.

Now... give me a couple of days or weeks to do last-minute preps... then I'll likely be filling my truck bed at Walmart and Home Depot.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why do you have diesel? One gen runs on gas and the other on Propane.
50 gallons of gas is not much. Like 10 days worth on that genny.
View Quote

One of my trucks is F350 diesel dually that I tow a 5th wheel camper with.  It has a 90gal aux tank in the bed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh... one thing I forgot to add in the vein of mentioning filling my tubs, sinks, etc... BEFORE I did that {if I had the time}... I'd take one last good, long, hot shower and enjoy the wonderful luxury that's so easy to take for granted now. I often think about that after long day hiking, fishing or camping... in a longer-term SHTF scenario... I'd miss hot, running water as much as just about anything. For me, life without hot showers would be TEOTWAWKI...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
At work?  I affix my bayonet.      
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I work in a machine shop.  Again, depending on the situation brewing, I might find myself making some "things" while the power was on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Costco, Home Depot and what ever the nearest place that sold ammo was

Seriously think on demand items that in long term storage would go bad eventually or if you didn't have the room for long term storage to the level you would like. I make an effort to have stuff on hand but I don't have the storage space for a mountain of stuff.

I'm hitting Costco for two bottles of OTC meds of every flavor, shit tickets, batteries, food staples like rice etc. enough to last at least 90 days or longer.

Home Depot for plywood sheeting, barbed wire, POL's for two cycle engines stuff like that.

Top off ammo in 9mm, .45ACP, 5.56mm and .308.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#17]
You know, that's something to think about.. Social Media.

Years ago you would hear things through the grapevine, maybe a friend saw it on TV as he was getting ready to come to work, or heard something on the radio while at lunch, now everyone carries a 24/7 notification device in their pocket. If something huge went down, you may not have those 3 hours, as everyone else who heard about it on facebook or twitter might be heading to the stores with you.

Just makes me feel good to know that I dont have to stop to pick up last min stuff, I am well prepped. If I could safely, I might, but chances are I would race home and then begin checking on things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I work 1000 .miles from home.  Depending on the day I may need to top off the diesel fuel to get home.  Food is the only thing else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oh... one thing I forgot to add in the vein of mentioning filling my tubs, sinks, etc... BEFORE I did that {if I had the time}... I'd take one last good, long, hot shower and enjoy the wonderful luxury that's so easy to take for granted now. I often think about that after long day hiking, fishing or camping... in a longer-term SHTF scenario... I'd miss hot, running water as much as just about anything. For me, life without hot showers would be TEOTWAWKI...
View Quote

The 1st hot shower that felt the best to me was after my injury. Wife helped me into the shower...helped hold me steady....but that hot water going over my head...over my face those first few seconds was heaven.

Sides that after each backpacking trip or when I hunted Canada for ten days with no showers...you really learn to appreciate thing like hot water or ice cubes, ')

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But but but

I LIKE french fries

With gravy right :) LOL

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The 1st hot shower that felt the best to me was after my injury. Wife helped me into the shower...helped hold me steady....but that hot water going over my head...over my face those first few seconds was heaven.

Sides that after each backpacking trip or when I hunted Canada for ten days with no showers...you really learn to appreciate thing like hot water or ice cubes, ')

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. And those propane-heated camp showers are better than nothing... but FAR from a nice, long, hot shower with some water pressure behind it. I had it when I'm staying at a hotel and craving a good shower, only to get in and have it practically dribble on me. SO disappointing! I've been spoiled with good showers where I live.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But but but

I LIKE french fries

Ketchup for me!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ketchup for me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But but but

I LIKE french fries

Ketchup for me!

Gravy goes with biscuits
Gravy goes with chicken fried steak
Gravy goes with fries when there is chicken fried steak on the plate with the fries 'n gravy

I like fries...don't always need a sauce like gravy or ketchup to make fries good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like that thinking...  Good idea!  A trailer full of lumber would be nice...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last place I want to be at during the SHTF moment is the grocery store or the gun store.  If you haven't secured
those items prior to the event, it's probably too late.  Those are the first two types of stores to be looted or to incite rioting, no thanks.
I would however, head to the lumber yard for some plywood.  Getting home and storing water would be next.

I like that thinking...  Good idea!  A trailer full of lumber would be nice...

Hey!  I said it first!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had it when I'm staying at a hotel and craving a good shower, only to get in and have it practically dribble on me. SO disappointing! I've been spoiled with good showers where I live.
View Quote

You call yourself prepared?

You should go out and get your channellocks, and a pair of needle-nose pliers from your trunk and return to the room and remove the goddamn flow restrictor.

At that point, life is good once again.

Wife and I were staying in St. Louis at a nicer hotel and she complained about the lame flow on the shower.  I pulled out two things I thought might be flow restrictors and the damn thing practically blew you out of the shower.  It was NICE.

Then, late one night, the lock wouldn't let us back in.  Security eventually got in and we were given another room.

I was about to get my tools again, but someone else with tools had been there before me!

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You have about $3000 to stock up on a few things before the sheeple realize what is up.

View Quote
Since this is obviously magical pretend world (where I somehow have $3k in cash, as opposed to the $16 I currently have until the end of the month);

Offer my unprepared urban neighbors $500 each for their land so they can buy stuff and escape with the "promise" that I'll return their land for the same amount when they return and promptly file these with the clerk's office.

Then go get some dogs from the local shelter, since I'd now have enough land for dogs to enjoy themselves

Oh, and hit the feed store for a half ton of dog kibble.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You should go out and get your channellocks, and a pair of needle-nose pliers from your trunk and return to the room and remove the goddamn flow restrictor.

Wife and I were staying in St. Louis at a nicer hotel and she complained about the lame flow on the shower.  I pulled out two things I thought might be flow restrictors and the damn thing practically blew you out of the shower.  It was NICE.

Then, late one night, the lock wouldn't let us back in.  Security eventually got in and we were given another room.

I was about to get my tools again, but someone else with tools had been there before me!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had it when I'm staying at a hotel and craving a good shower, only to get in and have it practically dribble on me. SO disappointing! I've been spoiled with good showers where I live.

That's awesome. I hadn't considered that. I certainly pulled-out the flow-restrictor when I redid my own shower last year. Which is probably why I hate everyone else's shower!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The last place I want to be at during the SHTF moment is the grocery store or the gun store.  If you haven't secured
those items prior to the event, it's probably too late.  Those are the first two types of stores to be looted or to incite rioting, no thanks.
I would however, head to the lumber yard for some plywood.  Getting home and storing water would be next.
View Quote

Get everyone home, have an end of the world party
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I always envisioned a football-style huddle with my family regarding planning, pep-talking, and expressions of love if time allows as a SHTF event unfolds.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's awesome. I hadn't considered that. I certainly pulled-out the flow-restrictor when I redid my own shower last year. Which is probably why I hate everyone else's shower!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to carry a pair of small channel locks in my luggage for just that purpose.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Why wait till 3 hours pre-SHTF?  You know it's coming so do what you got to do even if you have to use somebody else's money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is a great suggestion that my girlfriend thought was of a high priority.  So much so that she wants to prefab wood and store it for security / door and window protection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enough lumber to board up my windows.

I work from home and have a Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart within 10 minutes of me.

Maybe I'll finally get a dog.

This is a great suggestion that my girlfriend thought was of a high priority.  So much so that she wants to prefab wood and store it for security / door and window protection.

Many people who live in hurricane prone areas do this.  I had pre-cut sheets that were fit to each window, each one labeled.  Holes had already been drilled and I had stainless steel screws with washers to secure them.  It would take be less than 30 minutes to button down the house.  My first hurricane I couldn't find any plywood, didn't have a generator, and just had the propane cylinder in my gas grill.  I quickly changed that and laid in the plywood, genny, tarps, extra oil and fuel, extra propane for cooking, water, portable AC units, chainsaw with extra parts, etc.  It was good to be prepared.  While other people ran off to the store to purchase eggs, bread and milk before the hurricane, I was comfortable knowing life would go on pretty much the same if we lost power or got hit real hard.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Even though we're pretty much set for short term problems since we are in a hurricane zone, I'd have to go get Disaster French Toast supplies just on general principles.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top