BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... add a few table spoons of water at a time until it's saturates.

View Quote

Seems a bit tedious.  Why not weigh it before & after, then you can calculate how much water it lost and know what to add back.  You could write it on the side of the package and eliminate the guess work.

Something like:

((total original weight) - (total freeze dried weight)) /(total freeze dried weight) => water needed per ounce of freeze dried.

You could do it for a whole tray if it's only one food.  It shouldn't take long to build up a table for various foods.  You might need to do it for each batch until you are confident that the amount is stable from batch to batch.

BTW, kudos for a very cool thread
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

think i am gonna try some bush meat next
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^

They got cold stuff in them rockets.

Dibs on your freezedryer for when you getz the Ebolar from the bush critterz!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^

They got cold stuff in them rockets.

I can just see it now at REI and Academy

The_Beer_Slayer's Gourmet Road Kill Entrees
hanging right next to the mountain house in pouches
Menu items like
Day Old Venison Chili Mac
Turtle Soup with Rice
and
Black Bean Surprise

Menu items subject to availability, but we always got Black Bean Surprise in stock
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Menu items subject to availability, but we always got Black Bean Surprise in stock
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Looked at these online.  They look like a great deal when you consider how much FD food costs and the longevity of it..
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the big thing with this machine is just put the stuff in and let it run. it's easy to want to screw with the controls.

the only real adjustments i have made is turning the freeze time from 9hrs to about 4. but we have been prepping the trays the night before and pre freezing them.
View Quote

I have to think this is good practice, that it takes less energy to freeze them in your chest freezer than from room temp in the FDM.  Just like water in your water heater versus on your stove top.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Well i took the plunge, dryer should be in next week

If you wanna learn a little more about them here's  another forum thread discussing it

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149399-freeze-driers-and-freeze-dried-food/
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but can you FD jerky?

Jerky generally doesn't keep past 2 yrs in my experience.

Could you FD it, seal it in a can w/ an o2 absorber, and then "rehydrate" it with an eye dropper?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Could you FD it, seal it in a can w/ an o2 absorber, and then "rehydrate" it with an eye dropper?
View Quote

How

Tell Me How

You could allow jerky to get Two Years old?????

When I make jerky it is Gone I say Gone within a month If I hide it well.

For the LOL
I have had better results storing chocolate for longer time

IMHO I think you are defeating the point of jerky by freeze drying it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
so i drained a few ounces of oil out of the pump to check it. vacuum is still good.

this is after 5 runs which is a bit over 40hrs of runtime on the pump. the oil new is clear. you can see the gunk and there is a small layer of water on the bottom. i suspect i will need to change the pump oil in the next 2-3 runs. the oil runs about 70.00 for 4 gallons and pump hold just under a qt of oil. one downside is they do recommend draining and refilling the pump for storage as the water and acidity can damage the pump long term. to me this means you will need to do several runs at a time before storage of the machine

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69310

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69311
View Quote

Often times vacuum pumps can run mineral oil, I used to. Also, that price seems way too high for vacuum pump oil.

Checking with a bulk oil distributer or lub oil distributor might offer a far better solution.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How

Tell Me How

For the LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How

Tell Me How

For the LOL

LOL.

This Puerto Rican chick I used to date had a grandfather who owned a bodega up in the Bronx. He closed the store to retire back to PR (he had broken a hip the previous winter). He let me take whatever I wanted in exchange for helping him sell the fixtures, appliances, etc. I had 3 full Rubbermaid totes of jerky, all Slim Jims, Rolets, and Oberto. I still have a pretty good stash of canned stuff from him.

Fascinating guy, he was in the bodega business since the  late 60's, had been held up countless times, and was in FOUR shootouts with robbers! (with a properly licensed S&W .38).

ETA: the "bad" jerky still got eaten, btw
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#21]
We actually are still considering buying one as well.  Mainly for sailboat food storage.  Weight is an issue with aircraft and boats.  Would rather use the weight for ammo and guns, not food.  Now if we could just make some FD water packets... lol!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
The_Beer_Slayer and I will be experimenting with Jerky when I have time and a few days to make it. But the leaner the meat the better for either process. We will keep you all updated on that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#24]
For those of you that have bought the FD or are thinking about it. Something we learned the other day when the freeze dryer was done. TBS turned it off at 2am when it beeped but left the Trays in it. Never leave the Trays in it after it's done and turned off as when the ice starts to melt it will hydrate the food and if you are doing fruit, it will be sticky. So if it happens to beep in the middle of the night you might want to go ahead and bag your goodies. Or leave it on and let it beep till you get up and can fool with it then. It's a lot of trial and error to find out which foods do better than others. But once you do a lot of the foods you like, you will be happy with the product.

I'm so glad I went to the Prepper Show and talked TBS into buying it. We both have our jobs for the FD. I prep the food, put it in the freezer. When we are ready to freeze dry, he puts in the trays, pushes the start button. When it's done I bag and seal the food and TBS cleans the FD. On the next run we will be doing Hot Dogs, Pork Chops, a Hamburger Patty and shredded cheese. will let you all know how it turns out and I'll have TBS post a photo. Anyway, looking forward to hearing about what you experience for those of you that have bought the machine.

preppergurl
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
so i drained a few ounces of oil out of the pump to check it. vacuum is still good.

this is after 5 runs which is a bit over 40hrs of runtime on the pump. the oil new is clear. you can see the gunk and there is a small layer of water on the bottom. i suspect i will need to change the pump oil in the next 2-3 runs. the oil runs about 70.00 for 4 gallons and pump hold just under a qt of oil. one downside is they do recommend draining and refilling the pump for storage as the water and acidity can damage the pump long term. to me this means you will need to do several runs at a time before storage of the machine

View Quote

It my be possible to reuse the oil.
When you change out the oil place the old oil in a tray and let the water evaporate off. It may need to be stirred occasionally but once it goes clear it should be OK for reuse. Your vacuum pump is only exposed to water unlike the stuff a lab vacuum pump sees so it should not be contaminated with anything other than water.

PS
Welcome to Mrs Beer Slayer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When you change out the oil place the old oil in a tray and let the water evaporate off. It may need to be stirred occasionally but once it goes clear it should be OK for reuse. Your vacuum pump is only exposed to water unlike the stuff a lab vacuum pump sees so it should not be contaminated with anything other than water.

PS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS

We tried to reuse the oil we used in the pump for the vacuum hold-down frame on a CNC mill, [with a water soluble cutting fluid].

More trouble than it was worth, frankly...

The oil foamed terribly and was just a PITA.

It has already been suggested to crack the 'bypass valve' and that will help 'purge' ---to at least some degree, the pump oil.

Maybe heat the oil in a solar frame at 150 degrees or so to bake off the moisture.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

PS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS

Hi Rich_V! Glad to meet ya!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

this oil has a determinant "food" odor to it and the whits sludge isn't water. i considered straining it but from what i have been reading it's not advised as the oil becomes very acidic. same reason they recommended not storing the pump with used oil. looking at re-processing costs new oil is cheaper. not sure the oil is expensive enough to worry about pump damage down the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS

this oil has a determinant "food" odor to it and the whits sludge isn't water. i considered straining it but from what i have been reading it's not advised as the oil becomes very acidic. same reason they recommended not storing the pump with used oil. looking at re-processing costs new oil is cheaper. not sure the oil is expensive enough to worry about pump damage down the road.

Probably the best idea...

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS

We never reused the oil in our lab pumps but then we didn't pay for it either.
If you have solids in the oil, chuck it, not worth the effort to clean it up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

PS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS

Could the oil be heated above boiling to get the water out?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS

Have you ever thrown water into a pan of hot oil when frying something?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Often times vacuum pumps can run mineral oil, I used to. Also, that price seems way too high for vacuum pump oil.

Checking with a bulk oil distributer or lub oil distributor might offer a far better solution.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'd be interested if anyone knows a better option here as well
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#36]
What is the oil that's spec'ed out exactly?  I may be able to find an equivalent.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
getting the bulk of the water is easy. i used a syringe and needle and just suck it out of the sample once it seperated. the real issue is the floating "gunk" that doesn't seem to settle out and coffee filter are too porous. not sure it's worth the cost or effort to try and filter it.
View Quote

A friend of mine used to make and sell centrifuges for people wanting to run used motor oil in their Deuce and a Half's as fuel. Basically, it was a lipped bowl on an electric motor (think: washing machine motor or something like that, IIRC it was around 3krpm) that spun the solids out of the oil.

Oil went in looking black, came out looking like iced tea. Might be worth playing with?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

this is the factory reccomended oil.

http://www.jbind.com/products/product-search-detail.aspx?SKU=DVO-24

Black Gold vacuum pump oil is an ISO 41, special to this type of application

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the oil that's spec'ed out exactly?  I may be able to find an equivalent.

DVO-24 - BLACK GOLD VACUUM PUMP OIL
Category:
DEEP VACUUM
Sub Category:
VACUUM PUMP OIL
6-gallon bottles of Black Gold Vacuum Pump Oil. Black Gold Vacuum Pump Oil is the gold standard in vacuum pump care. For use in any vacuum pump, Black Gold is extremely pure and non-detergent. Our Black Gold is hydro processed, meaning it goes through a series of catalytic steps rendering the oil extremely refined, more viscous, and more stable. The result is clear mineral oil which will alert you to contamination sooner as it becomes cloudy or milky. In extreme temperatures, the oil will be more resistant to contaminants. We still recommend, however, that the oil be changed after every evacuation for maximum performance and pump efficiency.
The best test to see if your oil is contaminated is through a micron gauge. With a leak-free system, if your DV-22N micron gauge is still not reading a deep vacuum, the oil is too contaminated and should be changed. If the micron gauge pulls down to about 50 microns the oil is good. Viscosity is a measure of the weight of the oil. For industrial oil, the viscosity is an ISO grading at 40 degrees Celcius. Black Gold vacuum pump oil is an ISO 41, special to this type of application.

I wonder about the mineral oil part....
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Category:
DEEP VACUUM
Sub Category:
VACUUM PUMP OIL
6-gallon bottles of Black Gold Vacuum Pump Oil. Black Gold Vacuum Pump Oil is the gold standard in vacuum pump care. For use in any vacuum pump, Black Gold is extremely pure and non-detergent. Our Black Gold is hydro processed, meaning it goes through a series of catalytic steps rendering the oil extremely refined, more viscous, and more stable. The result is clear mineral oil which will alert you to contamination sooner as it becomes cloudy or milky. In extreme temperatures, the oil will be more resistant to contaminants. We still recommend, however, that the oil be changed after every evacuation for maximum performance and pump efficiency.
The best test to see if your oil is contaminated is through a micron gauge. With a leak-free system, if your DV-22N micron gauge is still not reading a deep vacuum, the oil is too contaminated and should be changed. If the micron gauge pulls down to about 50 microns the oil is good. Viscosity is a measure of the weight of the oil. For industrial oil, the viscosity is an ISO grading at 40 degrees Celcius. Black Gold vacuum pump oil is an ISO 41, special to this type of application.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Category:
DEEP VACUUM
Sub Category:
VACUUM PUMP OIL

IIRC, I mentioned using mineral oil in vacuum pumps several pages back.

Unless you get into exotic oils, that's mostly all it is.

Maybe with some additives, but the pressures needed for freeze drying don't require a particularly low vapor pressure oil, as required in some high vacuum work...

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

i honestly don't know enough about that to even begin to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, I mentioned using mineral oil in vacuum pumps several pages back.

Unless you get into exotic oils, that's mostly all it is.

Maybe with some additives, but the pressures needed for freeze drying don't require a particularly low vapor pressure oil, as required in some high vacuum work...

i honestly don't know enough about that to even begin to know.

Same here.  I remembered Expy saying mineral oil, and after seeing them say mineral oil in their product description I got to wondering.  Considering how much that thing costs, I'd be loathe to experiment too much with it.  But if I had some clear mineral oil and had drank about 5 or 6 Grolsch swingtops... It's the kind of crazy thing I might try.

On a 4k toy though?  I certainly won't blame you if you don't try it though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#45]
We're only talking the vacuum pump if the oil wasn't effective.

Harbor Freight sells 2 stage refrigeration pumps for less than $100.

I'm NOT suggesting experimenting with TBS's machine, to be clear...

Machine's under warranty, use it like it's meant to be.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#46]
So on todays FD run we are doing the hot dogs, hamburger patty, pork chops and Sharp Cheddar in regular and white. I have heard that when you do cheeses to use grated cheese. The flavor of the cheese is stronger after it is freeze dried to where you don't have to use as much on your meals. We shall see how it all turns out.

Will take a photo of it all and post a picture here when it's done.

preppergurl

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the update, and welcome to ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
didn't get photos

cheese was perfect as were the cooked pork chops and hamburger patty.

raw hot dogs.... not so much. kinda turned into shriveled oily meat sponge
View Quote

For those that remember the freeze dried hamburger patty and freeze dried pork patty MREs

Ah the memories you have brought back TBS

Freeze dried beef patty = sponge that tastes like beef...Mmmm Nom

Freeze dried pork patty = sponge of grease with no taste...Not sure if want
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
didn't get photos

cheese was perfect as were the cooked pork chops and hamburger patty.

raw hot dogs.... not so much. kinda turned into shriveled oily meat sponge
View Quote

Look on the positive side, they'll make great tinder as fire starters!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top